Atom Zombie Smasher Is Out, Also Demo

By Jim Rossignol on January 24th, 2011 at 10:29 pm.

The heroic Blendo Games (Gravity Bone, Flotilla) have released Atom Zombie Smasher, which is a game about killing zombies. But no wait come back! – don’t judge things by the zombies and the really unattractive screenshots. Instead take a look at the trailer below, and then, warmed by the light humour within, head over to the Blendo site and download the demo. I think you might be okay with this. Really. Play then judge.

Procedurally generated cities! I think I wrote a song about those.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Lilliput King says:

Really enjoyed the demo, will buy the full game in due course. Question for those in the know, though – how much of the game is freshly generated with each playthrough? And secondly, is there enough content for multiple playthroughs to be viable? I enjoyed Flotilla but it wasn’t quite what I was hoping for as the same eight or nine events came up every life.

2. Tatourmi says:

I RELY don’t understand the gameplay. Is it nuke’em from orbit only or is it also put foot soldiers on the map and secure perimeters and stuff? It seems like a tasteless pseudo shooter to me but, as it is blendo games, I can only guess that I am missing something crucial here.
    Edit: Oh, demo here. Well, let’s find out then.

• Lilliput King says:

My impression from the demo is that you’re trying to save civilians with helicopter airlifts while using your squads (groups of soldiers with guns, or artillery, or dynamite crews, that sort of thing) to fend the zombies off temporarily. You have a planning and setting up period before the zombies start swarming in then as soon as you’re ready the action begins and you control the timing of the explosives and the positions of artillery etc.

Only played the demo, though.

• RadioactiveMan says:

That is correct Lilliput- In the battles, you are trying to rescue as many civilians as you can before you are overrun. You can completely clear a map, but its quite hard. In the campaign, you are trying to fend off the zombies. I haven’t figured out how to win the campaign yet, and I don’t want to talk about spoilers here too much. The city battles are kind of a frantic, fast-paced tower defense/RTS. Individual battles never last more than a few minutes.

To answer Tatoumi’s question: its a mix of nuke from orbit and ground troops. The explosives are great, but you have to be careful you don’t vaporize your civilians. On the other hand, sometimes vaporizing civilians will prevent the spread of zombies.

AS says:

This and Magicka in the same week? Is the internet trying to kill my productivity again?

Hodge says:

I know! Magicka I was expecting but this one was sneaky. I was totally unprepared for it.

• sassy says:

Hasn’t the internet taught you anything? Always be prepared for the zombie apocolypse!!!

Yeah I wasn’t either. I saw this on gamersgate earlier today and thought it was just an average sounding game, then it was featured here and now I own it.

4. Longrat says:

ZAMBIES ZAMBIES ZAMBIES ZAMBIES ZAMBIES ZAMBIES

I wonder when it’s gonna be WEREWOLVEZ WEREWOLVEZ WEREWOLVEZ

• fishyboy says:

The first I’d heard of this game is around when Gravity Bone was released, so accusations of it hopping on the zombie trend are a little bit unfair.

5. Wilson says:

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. I wasn’t sure they’d be able to pull off good gameplay with this kind of game, but I think they’ve done well. I will almost certainly get this at some point (if I hadn’t decided to buy Magicka earlier today I would probably have bought this right now).

6. Switch says:

Loved Gravity Bone but I found the gameplay in Flotilla a little too slow and frustrating. Really enjoyed the demo of this though, the Blendo brand humour is in full force.

*last civilian perishes*
    “VICTORY!”

• jeremypeel says:

Aah you should really give Flotilla another try; spend a little time getting used to the pace of it.

Soon enough you’ll be rushing to set things in motion so you can watch the ships pirouette around the rockets, like SPACE POETRY.

Daiv says:

It’s the Zombie Infection Simulator, with added shootybangs. I endorse this.

8. Towercap says:

Bought this after playing the demo. Fun, bottom-clenching gameplay, though very hard once you hit level 2+ outbreaks and your mercs decide there’s better pickings elsewhere in the world.

Also, holy crap, Magicka drops in approximately 17 hours.

I’m not posting too fast, you patronising mongrel!

9. TechRogue says:

Posting this from my iPod, so I can neither download the demo nor watch the trailer, but it has Linux support, so I’m definitely buying. My thanks to the developer. :)

10. Bennus says:

It switched off my laptop. I didn’t realise I was that bad (or overheated).

• Brendon Chung says:

Hm, what kind of laptop do you have?

• Bennus says:

Dell Inspiron 1535 (2GHz w/ ATi mobility radeon HD 3450). SMAC occasionally switches it off, and it is very hot after it does. The Civ 5 demo was an interesting experience involving an ice block.

11. Jetsetlemming says:

Wow, that was a really fun demo. This is my kind of strategy game: The kind without an APM element.

12. The Innocent says:

Awesome game. Bought it right away, and I’m glad for it.

Chung’s blend(o) of humor is fantastic, and the gameplay is spot-on. The way the game mixes a carefree attitude and music with a desperate zombie apocalypse gives the game world a feeling of intense shock. Gravity Bone was my previous favorite game of his, but this one takes the prize.

13. pakoito says:

I like it, but I don’t think it’s worth 15$. Would buy on discount anyway.

14. Towercap says:

Just managed to funnel three streams of zombies next to a combustible pipeline and lined the path with four sticks of dynamite. It was probably poor resource management on my part but it was worth it – it was probably the first plan that actually went well.

15. ceriphim says:

This game looks like a ton of fun. Unfortunately I installed the demo and nothing happens when I run the executable. Is this not Win7 64-bit compatible? Sad face.

• pakoito says:

It sure is, double check your drivers and net frameworks etc…

• Hallgrim says:

Not working for me either… win7 x64. Executable starts a process that doesn’t do anything (or open any window).

Drivers, windows .net framework are current.

• PleasingFungus says:

According to the forums, it’s a problem with ATI cards. (I also have the issue.) Rolling back your drivers to 8.56 will apparently fix it; otherwise you’ll have to wait and see.

Frustrating!

• Hallgrim says:

Thanks for the info.

16. xeon06 says:

Seems awfully inspired by this:

• silverhammermba says:

Inspired, perhaps. But it plays completely differently. AZS is all about developing a plan and then juggling your various mercenaries while that plan is executed.

• HardCorePawn says:

Indeed, it is a completely different game, but it was apparently inspired by my Zombie3 game (in part)

17. Robert Yang says:

Having been a beta tester and played, like, 8 hours of it — and bought this version and played an hour or two — the learning curve is steeper than any of his previous games but I think the replay value’s a lot stronger for it.

I’m worried that the GUI for the online mod exchange isn’t robust enough (ratings? voting? etc.) and I still feel cheated sometimes when I get an unwinnable combination of mercs (barricades, low level land mines and bait… impossible to win anything) but otherwise I’m really happy with it and think you should be too, so PLAY IT and then BUY IT and support this amazing man

Sagan says:

Gravity Bone was awesome. But for some reason I haven’t liked any of Blendo Games’ games since. Unfortunately this is no exception.
    I think him and I have a very similar taste in terms of style, but a very different taste in terms of gameplay. Such a shame really…

19. Muzman says:

Shouldn’t it be called Atom Zombie Mother?

(the trend of shoe horning zombies into classics might be interesting extended to music: Exile on Zombie Street; Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Zombie Club Band; Handel’s Zombie Messiah (strangely appropriate); The Four SeaZons; Carnival of the Zombies.)

Harlander says:

Zombie Mask Replica?
      Safe as Zombies?

I…. I like Captain Beefheart.

20. Anton says:

Bought it without seeing the demo just because it came from Blendo. Love both Gravity Bone & Flotilla… loving AZS so far, but got defeated by Zed on 1st play through. =P

21. MrCraigL says:

I read that it’s actually rather good. (cough)

22. espy says:

I was sceptical about the video, but actually plaing the demo led me to buy it instantly and play until two in the morning. Really looking forward to playing more :) Gameplay is great, upgrading the units is nice (especially since the game has an actual END), the writing is interesting and weirdly humourous, and orbital bombardment is just fun. Good sound, too, nice and punchy and very rewarding.

Well worth 15$, in my optinion. The mods should be interesting.

RedViv says:

Wow, this is good. Games like these need to be on Steam and have achievements. And possibly a free TF2 hat. Just so they get the sales they deserve. Seems cheap, but it’s effective.

24. Inigo says:

Who is Monica2 and what is she doing with my icon?

25. Mr_Hands says:

Man. Until now, I’d had conflicting feelings about Blendo

I loved Flotilla’s everything. Except the combat.

It’s just a shame that almost all of Flotilla’s gameplay IS the combat. If he’d made a point-and-click spacefaring adventure game, I’d probably play the everloving hell out of it. As it was, I found myself restarting every time I got into combat. Still got my money’s worth, mind, but there was something missing. The writing was terrific. The humour was spot-on and not easily found elsewhere in videogameland. Space Deer!

Air Forte was kind of neat. Again, the gameplay was a little better, but I couldn’t get past the fact that it was a math-teaching game. Which, given my awful aritmetic skills, I was forced to play a LOT of math-based games as a lad and come over with a case of the vapours every time I’m confronted with them.

This, though, hits the spot. Some well-thought-out gameplay, hilarious vignettes, really, just a great sense of humour sprinkled throughout everything. And (I believe) procedurally generated names for your mercs. For my money, if you’re going to get a Blendo game, get this.

Then probably get Flotilla, just so you can hate that deer as much as I do.

26. wiper says:

Played the demo, bought it, then ‘completed’ the game in one sitting last night (zombies had got to just over the halfway point of 3000 points – it took only one battle after the zeds’ “mutation” came into effect for me to win – a pity, as that seemed to up the challenge some). After the difficult (but brief) Flotilla, and the challenge present in the demo, I was kind’ve disappointed by the ease of the full game. Still a great mechanic though, and if it ever gets patched to be a bit more difficult I’ll happily play through it again.

• RadioactiveMan says:

I also churned through the full 6000 point game yesterday- I lost by ~2000 points, but just couldn’t help myself. Had a blast. You are right that the zed mutation ups the difficulty quite a bit- although the mutants respawn from the same entrances if you retry the mission, which makes them easier.

Playing through the 20,000 point game now. I was trailing by 3000-4000 points, but have just passed Zed at ~15,000, and it looks like I will be able to stay ahead of them with little difficulty. The long game lets you dig into the research tree more: There are some good research upgrades that will greatly increase your artillery power, making the arty your best weapon by far. Also, the long game lets you see all the comics and backstory… All the little comics start to come together… sort of!

Looking forward to playing multiplayer (has anyone done that yet?) and seeing what modders come up with.

• The Innocent says:

Once you’ve beaten the game, you get a bunch of new options. So you can then play on “casual” or “hardcore,” and there are a few other things to tweak, such as the ability to bring an extra mercenary on missions.

• wiper says:

Ah, didn’t realise there was a) a longer game or b) a new set of options unlocked on completing it – clearly I’m no good at paying attention!

I’ll get stuck into a new game tonight or tomorrow, I think :D

Lambchops says:

Looking forward to giving the demo of this a shot. Blendo’s games are generally lovely.