Mythos Finally Debuts In Europe

By Jim Rossignol on January 24th, 2011 at 9:08 pm.

And not for everyone, either, as it’s a closed beta, which you can sign up to here. The beta itself will kick off on February 8th.

The saga of Mythos is quite the thing. It was a promising hack ‘n’ slash MMO back when it was announced in 2007 (I think?) and was anticipated for release in 2008, I think we even got a beta sign ups back then… Anyway, it was being developed by the largely ex-Blizzard studio Flagship who were also working on Hellgate. When Hellgate went down like a lead balloon it took Flagship – and therefore Mythos – with it. It has taken new owners, Korean company HanbitSoft, until quite recently to get the game to market in Asia abd the US, and only now into Europe, where Frogster are handling it. Are we still pleased to see it? Well, I suppose so. Better late than never, eh?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. BathroomCitizen says:

This seems like a great year for reviving games!

• Wolfox says:

Game necromancy. I just hope it doesn’t become the “gaming trend” of 2011.

• harmen says:

Is that really so much worse than re-making the same game, but with ‘ II’ added to the title?

• bob_d says:

I hadn’t thought about it, but yeah, there are at least four or five other high profile games, that were taken over by third parties when the original developers went under, that will likely be released this year.

I’m sorry to say that it is a trend; game development has gotten so expensive that more companies are folding before or just after releasing a game. Since other companies can pick up their work for far less than the cost of developing a new game, there’s incentive to buy them up even if they need more development work.

2. The Great Wayne says:

2012 is the apocalypse, makes sense that even the dead games rise up. Stay tuned for the other omens.

3. Navagon says:

If this crazy trend continues maybe we’ll finally see Duke Nukem Forever.

LOL, just kidding. That will never happen.

4. Daniel Klein says:

I played in the stress test in the end of December. It was a mess, and a sorry one at that :/

• anotherman7 says:

Don’t speak ill of the newly-risen. It’s for your best, you know.

• bob_d says:

I’m not surprised. I know some of the behind-the-scene stories, and the whole situation is a ridiculous disaster.

5. Jacques says:

Didn’t really get on too well with this game during the beta. It’s sad to say, but I thought that Hellgate was the better game.

6. KillahMate says:

Isn’t this Torchlight Zero?

Also I am posting comments at a stately pace, so fuck off.