Ta-da! Dash-Da-Dash DX

By Jim Rossignol on January 24th, 2011 at 9:07 am.

Mr Pixel Prospector slung us a link to Dash-Da-Dash DX, and he was right to do so. It’s a fine piece of arcade dashery, which sees you clicking around the play area to lob your diamond collecting spaceship through swarms of bullets and to the prize. There are two modes – a relatively sedate normal mode, and an accelerated mode which will wake you up pretty rudely, if you’re still sleepy on a Monday morning – so I would start with the frenzied mode and not even bother with the normal one. That’s just how we do things here in caffeine world.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. McDan says:

I played the frenzied mode whilst still quite sleepy without remembering how bright my screen was. Now my retinas are gone. Thorough enjoyment.

2. Brumisator says:

Best sound design I’ve heard in a game in a long time.
    Well, maybe it’ll become grating after a while, but I’ll just have to play more and see, erm. hear.

3. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Aaagh. Too annoying and terrible for me. Or perhaps I am too terrible for it. I think that’s probably more likely…

4. Dominic White says:

Fun little game. Definitely need to have a good mouse to really shine, though. Still, it’s a nice bit of design – one button, one pointer, lots of shinyness and a brillo soundtrack. Was that a bit of Deadmau5 I heard starting it up the first time?

5. BooleanBob says:

I wanted to like this more than I did, what with the Minterly aesthetics and the astonishingly upbeat announcer. But, the game isn’t great. You have to concentrate on where you are, where you’re going, what’s going to be in between those two points, where the purple gems are, where the boss is… and the movement system actively frustrates your ability to react, with the cool down and all.

6. Ezhar says:

Some titles just don’t need embellishment. Not even a tame Ta-da!

7. fuggles says:

@BooleanBob, try the extreme mode as you get three lives and unlimited boosts, making it oddly much easier and less extreme than normal.

Thanks RPS, really enjoyed this from the great soundtrack to the crazy visuals (turn the gfx up to XBLA setting for crazy colours) and although I too suck at it, I was very much diverted for the 30mins I played it.

Oh and the soundtrack seems to be available as a seperate download, unlicensed and all.

8. The Magic says:

The soundtrack is by Renard Queenston (who is one of my favourite musicians ever. I could listen to his stuff all day long.) and he and he his girlfriend (SqueedgeMonster) made this game and a few others. She mostly does the art, he does the programming and music. I was never too interested in their games, just in the art and music (seriously… love the music, listening to it right now… awesome) but i’ll give it a shot.

EDIT: Okay, I played some, and I see he’s using a bunch of other people’s music as well. Kewl.
    SECOND EDIT: Okay, this is pretty fun. It’s got a kind of unicorn attack addictiveness, mixed with awesome music, and really short gameplay that can fit into any schedule. I’m gonna keep this one.
    THIRD EDIT: also noticed that Squeedge did not in fact do the art for this. Renard thought about it, but he loved what he had already… makes sense.

9. trjp says:

I love the sound and the idea but the reality is just a bit to crushing/random…

Also – and this is just me being weird I’m sure – but I almost resent having to download and install something which clearly could have been done in Flash/browser (tho that makes it harder to sell!!)

10. renardqueenston says:

thanks to everybody for the comments, and thanks to jim for the feature! :] i’m glad it’s making the rounds and glad people are digging it – it’s not for everybody, that’s for sure, so i’m pretty excited that it’s netting the audience that it is!

@trjp – this was originally going to be a flash game (i make my stuff in multimedia fusion 2), but i started using a bunch of features that the flash exporter didn’t support, so i decided to just go all out with an executable. :]

• trjp says:

It was just me being lazy with installing stuff ofc – and the sound work is truly excellent.

I just died a lot otherwise but that’s my fault!!

Comment on this story