Here’s Some Battlestar Galactica Online

By Jim Rossignol on January 25th, 2011 at 10:35 am.

Via Blues I spot that there is finally a smidgeon of Battlestar Galactica Online footage for us to point at and exchange worried comments as it approaches. Some space combat, some lumpy-lookin’ people. But which one is the cyclon? It’s the one in the metal suit, you fool, run! And so on.

You can sign up for the beta on the main site.

Looking much as we’d expected, I think. I’ll be interested to get a bit more information on how it plays.

, .

1. MadHattr says:

Actually, the cyclon is the one with the typo.
    Also, my profile page asked me to notify the site administrator that WordPress 3.0.4 is available.

• Jimmeh says:

This deadly race of washing machines will kill us all. Flee!

In other news, that has to be the worst running animation I have ever seen in any game in the history of ever…ever.

• Sarlix says:

I like the way the human female has the same elegant run as a 2 tonne robot.

tomeoftom says:

Yeah! They run like marionettes.

• Hoaxfish says:

Or the 2 tonne robot has a sexy ass… so smooth and flat

2. brulleks says:

Do they have an official website anywhere that actually gives some information about the game, rather than just being a portal for people who have already decided they want to sign up?

Even tried Googling it but can’t find anything other than articles on other sites and invitations to ‘Watch episodes of Battlestar Galactica Online’.

3. Enzo says:

I’m in closed beta of this game right now, and so far it’s ok. Space combat is a little bit like Star Trek Online, but faster. It’s lacking player interaction – you can’t meet other players on board of other starships, you can see them only in space.

• frenz0rz says:

“Its OK” would be my assessment as well. I’ve been in closed beta since November and, while it was fun for a month or two, theres just not enough there to hold my interest for any longer. Plus im tired of the constant yet clearly necessary beta server wipes.

As for the player interaction, I think you’re spot on – space is a lonely, isolated place. Theres just no reason to team up. Or, in all honesty, to do anything else. But I’ll not be breaking NDA here.

• DrazharLn says:

My, er, friend who’s in the beta tells me it wasn’t that great a month or so ago when he last tried and felt that some quite radical changes were necessary.

He feels quite bad about not leaving any feedback, but he had exams to revise for.

4. mingster says:

lol @ cyclon. Maybe they ride round on unicycles.

Thermal Ions says:

I guess Jim didn’t rate his Battlestar Galactica background knowledge very high when signing up for the beta.

5. psycho7005 says:

I like the series and so far everything looks pretty faithful (except the blocky character models), yet i can still see ‘flop’ written all over this. Call me pessimistic if you want…

6. Hoaxfish says:

Is the end-game “God did it”

7. RakeShark says:

I wish I could get excited about a Battlestar Galactica game, I really wish I could.

But I get the feeling now that the series is done, not only has the steam left the engine, but the people with the big money are only going to remember the really weird turn the series took.

Which means the Triple-A production will be as if “Star Trek: Elite Force”, “Metal Gear Solid 4″, and ultimately “Return to Castle Wolfenstien” got together and had a baby.

It only sounds good on paper.

8. KillahMate says:

Looking better than I expected, though I must say I expected it to be crap. I appreciate that they’re trying to do their own thing with the ship designs (that cruiser at 1:10 looks quite swanky), but worry they’re going to make it too videogamey. The bit with people is ignorable.

Still, we all agree Diaspora is going to violate this with a rake, right?

9. bill says:

Will the space combat have any depth like Allegiance? Or just shooty stuff like Starfighter?

Also, i stopped watching the series at the end of season 2 when it went really stupid. But hearing that music made me want to watch it again. I heard the 3rd season is pretty bad… is it worth trying it, or should i just forget about it?

stahlwerk says:

Depends, really. I liked it from start to finish, but I have a very high tolerance for plot-twists and -holes out of nowhere.

“There must be some kinda way out of here…”

• KillahMate says:

Third season is very much worth it. Even knowing how the show ends, the season finale is still a majestic piece of filmmaking in and of itself. Also you’re missing some of the best action scenes ever shown on a TV series.

Now, fourth season… Depends on a given value of ‘worth it’.

• wedge99 says:

I just love it when people say the ending came out of no where and that the god thing was a cop out. They clearly were just watching the series for explosions and nude toasters. Otherwise they may have at least gleaned a small part of “God” being in the plot throughout from season one.

• DrazharLn says:

The show’s finale was quite terrible, IMO. I tend to pretend it never happened.

Season 3 and the first half of season 4 are wonderful, though.

10. ITSSEXYTIME says:

There better be a first person view.

11. Jimmy Z says:

Looks kinda retarded.

12. Jinnigan says:

This… looks awful. It has neither the chaotic cinema verite of Battlestar Galactica, nor the frenetic frigate-and-capital space combat of Freespace 2. The creators seem to have faithfully recreated the ships of the TV show, but have none of the spirit. You can even tell they try to tap into a little bit with the attempt at recapturing the show’s unique camerawork on Odama.