Indies, Dr Gillen Will See You Now

By Jim Rossignol on January 25th, 2011 at 11:19 am.

Or more accurately: you will see him. But you can understand why I went for that headline, right? World Of Love is happening for the second time on Friday, and we’re going to be there. We were at the last one, too. In fact, former RPS editor Kieron Gillen even talked about how indies should use and abuse the games press while he was there, and there’s a wobblecam video of the event for you to see. It also features my face six feet high.

World of Love 2010: Kieron Gillen from Mudlark on Vimeo.

, .

1. AndrewC says:

I must say Kieron looks very masculine in those screenshots, like Jason Statham’s slightly nerdier twin.

• Rei Onryou says:

I’d pay to see The Transporter with the cockney accent replaced by Kieron’s dulcet tones.

*In Kieron’s voice* I got sick of all my best efforts being turned into bullshit by the people who paid me to do them in the first place.”

• Jacques says:

I would pay to see that money.

/edit I meant movie, obv.

How many RPS’ites are going to be at WoL?

• Kieron Gillen says:

Statham playing me in the RPS-B-Movie would be a thing of hilarity and wonder.

KG

• Unaco says:

There is dialogue in Jason Statham movies? Wow. Guess you do learn something new every day.

• AndrewC says:

‘Chicken And Broccoli!’

• AndrewC says:

‘Massive **** ****!’

• DiamondDog says:

I think we’re missing the obvious truth here. They are one and the same person. It’s the classic Superman disguise. Jason Statham just puts on a pair of glasses and becomes mild mannered writer Kieron Gillen, free of the pressures of being an Action Hero.

I bet he has a stunt harnes on under that shirt.

• Rei Onryou says:

Mild mannered Kieron Gillen?? Are we talking about the same person here? Vlad the Impaler was mild mannered next to Kieron.

*sniff* I miss Kieron’s constant references to obscure music and masturbation. Gaming just doesn’t feel the same.

2. AndrewC says:

Oh they could both be on screen, in a film called ‘Double Trouble’, or ‘Shattered Mirror’ or something. Jason could discover he has a twin, who happens to hold a secret that the bad buys are willing to kill him for. Cue comedy scenes where they try to choose which music to have on in the car, or where Kieron tries to stall the bad guys by discussing the mechanistic similarities between the bad guys’ plot and Amiga classic Midwinter.

Obviously, Kieron Statham would have to die at the end of act two to give Jason Statham the motivation for the third act killing spree, but hey, I’d quite enjoy watching a Kieron death scene too.

Indie games.

3. Mike says:

“Not Kieron Gillen” is the kind of thing you should get on your business cards, Jim. It’s almost a job title.

4. Sarlix says:

I like the way the John crying jibe got the biggest laugh. It’s like a default setting for guaranteed amusement.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Bless Old Faithful.

KG

• Gassalasca says:

This.

Also… I was really disappointed to see (well, I assume) that virtually nobody had heard of Amanda Palmer. What do these people listen to?!
      It’s always sad to realize how many people are only really familiar with their own little niche of culture.

• stahlwerk says:

Welcome to the lulz-adjustment screen of <GAME>. This is a very humorous game, so please adjust your speaker’s volume until the sound of a grown man sobbing can be faintly heard in the left surround channel.

• Jacques says:

Gassalsca, it’s not that surprising. I’m sure if I asked you who Michael Gira was, and what Jim Thirlwell’s main project is, you’d probably not know who they are.

• Gassalasca says:

Not know who Michael Gira is?! Surely, you jest. :D Celebrity Lifestyle is one of my favourite songs. :)

But yeah, I see your point. And, indeed, I have no idea what Jim Thirwell’s main project is.
      To the Google Machine!

EDIT: Whoa, this is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbe33jNTKz4
      Thanks, Jacques!

• Jacques says:

No problem. I actually had a chance to see Swans a few months ago. One of the best live performances I’ve ever seen.

Thirwell’s Manorexia (another of his projects) was pretty awesome live as well, though completely different to his Foetus stuff. I always love watching the pilot to The Venture Bros and catching bits and pieces from various Manorexia, Foetus and Steroid Maximus tracks.

This is one of my favourite Foetus tracks, his 80′s stuff is quite different to his newer sound, though no worse for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Uogcy8bgk

• Rinox says:

@ Gassalasca: Amanda Palmer is a Goddess. She only got cooler when she married Neil Gaiman. No wonder Kieron knows her, it’s like an unholy union of Indie music, literature and comics. Now if one of them was a gamer too…

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6En8zrrPZnQ

5. MonkeyMonster says:

Nice piece.

6. Hoaxfish says:

Does the guy with the water-pistol look like Charlie Sheen?…

• Scatterbrainpaul says:

Yeah, looks a bit like him

If you turn up the volume to max around the 19 minute mark, you can hear a hooker screaming locked in a cupboard trying to get out.

That might have more to do with Kieron than Sheen though

7. Schmung says:

Can we expect any talks or /we from RPS folk this time around? I mustered the funds to go pretty much on the basis of the vids RPS have been posting of last years event., so hopefully it’s as good this time around.

8. airtekh says:

Bloody hell. I nearly fell out of my seat with that horn at the end!

9. Pijama says:

Bloody hell Kieron, for a retired editor, you are quite the active menace. Keep it up!

10. ChaK_ says:

You sure are english accent wise !

11. princec says:

Looks like I’m going to be at World of Love too. I will doubtless get quite pissed in the pub afterwards with Mode7. And Cliffski.

Cas :)

12. Reapy says:

Someone please buy the guy with the camera a fucking tripod, please for the love of god.

13. Phydaux says:

So, John likes games about holding and crying. Good to know.

14. A-Scale says:

Wait, former editor? When did Kieron leave?