Pucker Your Butthole: New Bulletstorm Trail

By John Walker on January 25th, 2011 at 10:54 am.

This is a rare screenshot in which no one is having their head sliced in two.

Of the spate of recent Bulletstorm trailers, while they’ve been incredibly funny, they’ve not shown a huge amount of the game itself. This latest, detailing the revenge moves a little more comprehensibly, as well as showing some of the characters’ natterings, lasts a decent length. Be warned, faint-eared readers! It contains some swears that your boss may disapprove of. Oh, and bodies being violently dismembered, but everyone’s cool with that.

The game is with us on the 22nd Feb. I’m rather looking forward to it.

, , .

1. noom says:

I’m not somebody that has any issue with particularly gross or offensive humour, but it has to be done right. Honestly, it looks to be a litte too puerile for my tastes in this.

Not exactly a deal-breaker though. I’ll most likely still be giving it a look.

2. Njordsk says:

Grumpy I am, No game I’ll buy.

3. Moni says:

Huh, that lady’s boobies are normal sized.

I’m in a boobie looking-at mood this morning.

• DevilSShadoW says:

Indeed I’d expect larger breasts in this game.

• Xercies says:

Clearly this is a sign of games evolving, instead of all breasts in games being the size of melons they’ve actually decided to put smaller breasts on a woman.

Three Cheers!

skalpadda says:

You just made me look at the trailer again to inspect the boobies.

• Urael says:

Games may be evolving but clearly the gamer has some way to go yet. :)

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Looks like you have Tanya Jessen to thank for the female sidekick not sporting a pair of Hindenburgs:

I’m in Adrian’s office, like, “Adrian, come on. No! Are you crazy? Trishka, she’s our badass. She’s going kick your ass and take no prisoners! She’s sexy because she has the confidence. She doesn’t need to have giant breasts!” Adrian is like, “She’s so hot, she needs to have a giant rack. I love chicks in video games that have giant boobs.” I could see his face was kind of sad.

• Initialised says:

Size doesn’t matter if they’re PhysX enabled

4. Lack_26 says:

I have a feeling that the makers of this game need to be sectioned and kept in a medicated-daze.

5. Jonathan says:

Is this anything more than a hyper-generic sci-fi take on Painkiller? I do not understand the hype.

• jeremypeel says:

I think that’s the crux of it. When was the last time you played anything like Painkiller?

• Jonathan says:

After Doom, Doom 2, Serious Sam, Serious Sam 2nd Encounter, Painkiller, Faceless Painkiller Expansions/addons x y and z, Serious Sam 2, Serious Sam HD, and Serious Sam 2nd Encounter HD I’m kind of done ;)

• Urael says:

I’d say this is more like Unreal Tournament 4, just dressed up in a new IP to avoid bad associations with UT3. The focus on stylish kills certainly seems like a more advanced version of my “Flakmonkey” and “Wicked Sick” awards.

• jeremypeel says:

@Jonathan: Yeah, sort of expected that answer. Which is fair enough, but it’s not unreasonable for people to want to have shooters of a certain form and still, y’know, be able to participate in contemporary popular culture.

Chaz says:

Indeed, having played games of this nature myself for about the past 15 odd years I am well and truely bored with this kind of thing now and just can’t muster any enthusiasm for this at all. However there is an entirely new generation of gamers out there who haven’t played all the Dooms, Quakes, Unreal Tournaments and Painkillers etc, to who stuff like this probably looks quite fresh and entertaining.

I haven’t grown completely tied of FPS by the way, as I am so looking forward to the new Duke Nukem game.

6. TheBlackBandit says:

You know, I’m really looking forward to this. I prefer my bawdiness and puerility Bulletstorm style than… say… Duke Nukem style.

7. Tori says:

If this is at least half as good as Painkiller and its first expansion, then I’m sure I’ll buy this :)

8. pipman3000 says:

just pretend it’s painkiller 2 and those other sequels never happened.

9. Inigo says:

“BUY THE EPIC EDITION AND GET ACCESS TO THE GEARS OF WAR 3 BETA”
    Sounds like somebody’s worried Bulletstorm won’t sell.

• Tori says:

Nah, just a way to get more $$$ from GoW fanboys, as this is only included in the “epic” version.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

I don’t know if they thought it would sell poorly or not, but beta access to big names like Gears and Halo can make a bestseller out of a game. That’s the only reason anyone cared about Crackdown.

stahlwerk says:

Get with the times, Epic!

• somini says:

That is so true! Why the hell Prodigy came on every trailer? What happened?

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Ha! It’s catching on. Is this to be the RPS follow-up meme to bag of milky ways?

If so, may I present my (luckily well-timed) tribute; Magicka Must Die http://tubedubber.com/#csWw-rzQ6Qk:9Ku6gagYh80:0:100:0:0:true
      @Somini; Edgar Wright and Scott Pilgrim happened.

stahlwerk says:

@Hamster, you might want to consider using a non-copyright-id’ed video for the music track, doesn’t work in germany (and I bet some other countries) otherwise. :-/
      (The one I used is cleared, for example.)

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Hey, Stahl, did that work? Changed link in original post. Did you mean audio or video btw? I changed audio.

stahlwerk says:

Yup, that one works (on all levels ;-) ). Good stuff!

• mda says:

Wow Hamster, that syncs so well. Naiz.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was really surprised how well it synced. I wish Tube Dubber came with a fade out option though, it cuts out a little abruptly right at the end.

11. coldvvvave says:

It looks better than DNF, not really a great achievement, but still.

drewski says:

Paging generic shooter to the trailer room.

13. kael13 says:

Well if the multiplayer has the same pacing as UT3 on berserker mode, it might end up being my replacement twitch shooter.

14. Jacques says:

Looks like a much better version of Borderlands.

15. jeremypeel says:

I’m fairly excited about the new wave of colourful, arcadey post-military shooters this year, this included. Although for my money, Bodycount seems to have the most exciting take on things; form over ‘realism’, yes please.

Bulletstorm’s script seems… irritating in much the same way the GoWs’ tend to be. Why the revenge plot? Are the skill-shots not motivation enough? Good to see Painkiller’s huge bosses made it in, though.

16. Flappybat says:

Played the 360 demo and I can only say eh. Shoot mans with physics and a scoring system with the comedy sophistication of “eat a dick”.

17. Mashakosha says:

Just looked for the demo on PSN but I see no trace of it yet. Still pretty psyched for this though; might have to break into my piggybank to get it if enough of my online mates do.

18. bill says:

The game looks good. (graphics, world, bosses, interactivity with world).

But the style is totally off-putting.

Eric says:

Agree. Every time I see it I like the look of the gameplay but just want it to shut up.

Maybe I can just play it on mute.

19. outoffeelinsobad says:

I wonder if there will be an option to turn off all those annoying skill shot notifiers.

20. Basilicus says:

The trailers are entertaining, but each successive one makes me less and less interested in the game. The art design looks interesting, but wasted on a game that appears to want to distract you from any atmosphere as much as possible, and those characters models…those are awful.

I’m looking forward to DNF, as I appreciate its tongue-in-cheek brand of faux machismo, but Bulletstorm seems to be going all one-note machismo without remembering how to make it entertaining. I fear the word “repetitive” getting brought up a lot in reviews, which is a shame for a studio that could instead be bringing me Unreal 3. Anyone who traveled the crazy variety of planets in Unreal 2: Awakening will understand why.

• rocketman71 says:

Same here.

The last one, with CliffyB’s ugly face all plastered over my screen talking about the game (what the hell did he do for this game anyway?, he is the new American McGee) practically crushed any remaining urge I had of buying this.

Whos knows, perhaps I’ll buy it in a couple of years for an euro or two in a Steam sale.

• Jad says:

You seem confused. This studio is People Can Fly, who made Painkiller, and is being published by Epic Games. Unreal 1 was made by Epic Games and published by GT Interactive. Unreal 2 was made by Legend Entertainment and published by Atari. People Can Fly have nothing to do with Unreal, and even Epic had little to do with that “crazy variety of planets in Unreal 2″.

• Basilicus says:

Your facts are getting in the way of my whining. Alright, I guess I didn’t know what I was talking about there. Thanks for the corrections. So PCF was behind Odium (Gorky 17 on your side of the pond). Flawed as it was, I did enjoy that game.

21. SuperNashwan says:

I have a sneaking suspicion all these “kill shots” just happen and are simply thereto flash up some numbers, rather than being a skill reward mechanic, but I will reserve opinion until playing the demo (ugh, FPS with a pad…).

22. Miker says:

WELCOME
    THRILLHO

23. wootles says:

Alright, with the voice from Cowboy Bebop, and the american voice in Company of Heroes. I would love to see some new voice talent, or even old? How about Clint Eastwood doing some voice over work? Morgan Freeman? Oh well. Guess we’ll just take Spike.

• Urael says:

Damn, beat me to it. No, wait, you hush, you. Your opinions are dangerous and liable to start fires.

The amazing Steve Blum, ladies and gentlegamers! Spike Speigel from Cowboy Bebop, Mugan from Samurai Champloo and upcoming in Transformer: Prime as the voice of Starscream! I could conceivably by this “Bulletstorm” on his voicework alone….

24. Wolf Hongo says:

I can easily pay no attention to Bulletstorm, but the name of this article wins so hard.

Pucker your butthole, we’re about to watch Die Hard 1 and 2.