Operation Flashpoint: Red River Talkyfootage

By Quintin Smith on January 26th, 2011 at 3:33 pm.

War! A new electric entertainment coming to a personal computer near YOU.

Codemasters has released a new developer diary for upcoming expandalone Operation Flashpoint: Red River. I think I have similar feelings to Jim about this one. Against my better judgement I am an excite, and will play this game just to be sure. Lots of info on Red River’s new features await you below, which include the addition of personalities and skills to your squad. Does that mean they’ll also be immortal? Will you lose a mission if they die? Will they only get knocked down by bullets, awaiting a friendly hand to hoist them back up? More information, Codemasters! Faster, faster!

Hm, the press release here does say they’ll be four player drop-in, drop-out co-op. Ooh, it also says the classes will be “Grenadier, Scout, Rifleman and Automatic Rifleman,” which are the “four distinct and complimentary classes in a USMC [United States Marine Corps] fireteam.”

Tell you what, though. Codemasters’ offices are looking a bit run-down, aren’t they? Isn’t there a YMCA or something they could move their computers into?

…and entire beefy press release follows.

26thJanuary (2PM UK) – Codemasters®today released the first developer diary video for Operation Flashpoint®: Red River™, the all-new chapter in the multi-million selling tactical shooter series set to launch in Q2 2011. In the first of a planned series, key creative talent explain the philosophy behind the design of the game, many of its improvements and how the team have included feedback from fans in the creation of Operation Flashpoint: Red River. Featuring stunning gameplay footage, the video is now showing at www.facebook.com/flashpointredriver.

The developer diary reveals some of the key features set to make Operation Flashpoint: Red River the ultimate tactical infantry shooter. Executive Producer Adam Parsons explains, “As far as I’m concerned, Red River gets you as close as you can to being in the boots of a Marine.” This overarching goal informs the style and tone for everything that goes into the game, but Parsons also reveals that there are a huge range of additional enhancements and improvements, “We’ve addressed a lot of the criticisms from the community within Red River by putting in new features.”

Adam Parsons is joined by Creative Director Sion Lenton, Lead Artist Mike Smith and Principal Game Designer Tim Browne as they discuss the wide-ranging ways in which the game engine and gameplay has evolved and improved on 2009’s million-plus seller Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising™. Topics covered include the huge game world of Tajikistan, new insurgent enemies, improved gun play mechanics, immersive narrative, the new class-based Fireteam and player loadouts and customisations.

The developer diary features explosive footage of the game in action, including the devastating effects of JDAM airstrikes. Marines are shown engaging insurgent enemies at close quarters, clearing them out of towns and villages and hunting them down in mountains. The overwhelming conventional might of the Chinese PLA is also shown with state of the art equipment, including the tanks and helicopters that make them such a formidable foe. The footage shows off the new setting of Tajikistan with its epic vistas and huge open landscapes which present unique and evolving tactical challenges as players are tasked with achieving objectives on their own initiative.

Set to deliver an authentic and intensely personal infantry experience, Operation Flashpoint: Red River’ s challenges players to take up the role of one of four distinct and complimentary classes in a USMC fireteam. The Grenadier, Scout, Rifleman and Automatic Rifleman combine to create a fearsome fighting unit and offer unique gameplay perspectives, extending replayability across the substantial campaign mode and standalone Fireteam Engagements.

Up to four players can enjoy the unique Operation Flashpoint experience across all game modes with seamless drop-in drop-out co-operative play. Whether playing solo or co-operatively, players can build up XP across all modes to unlock weapons, skills and modifications for their class, customising their loadouts to suit their preferred style of play.

Operation Flashpoint: Red River will set a new standard for authentic and intense tactical combat when it arrives in Q2 2011 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Games For Windows® LIVE. Sign up to ‘get some’ USMC style with the latest briefings direct from the Operation Flashpoint studio at www.facebook.com/flashpointredriver and www.twitter.com/flashpointgame.

, .

1. chakraist says:

So a 542 word press release for a 3 and a half minute video? Someone has messed their priorities up a bit, I think.

2. Njordsk says:

They killed this franchise with this flashpoint “reboot”.

Man the first (and its expansions) was awesome. But this… I lost all the faith and hope I had in codemaster 5 minutes after booting their game.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

The ARMA series is the real operation flashpoint 2.

• Bilbo says:

Play Armed Assault instead. That’s where all the original Flashpoint developers went. These new OpFlash games bear virtually no relation to the original.

*Edit* Oh, and, they’re crap, too.

• Njordsk says:

Yeah yeah I know about Arma, but this game doesn’t deserve the OpFlash name.

heretic says:

new flashshites fail
      arma total win

nuff said

Joshua says:

@ Bilbo

It’s Called Arma. ARMA! As in the Latin for warfare. Where did they get this Armed Assault thing from?

• Jaffo says:

“Man the first (and its expansions) was awesome.”

Stick with them; since Bohemia and Codemasters went their separate ways, neither has produced a worthy successor.

• Phried says:

@Joshua

Outside of North America “Arma: Combat Operations” was called “Arma: Armed Assault”.

stahlwerk says:

They could always go the Op Flash: Cold war crisis route: make the personalities cut-scene only, play the missions with a squad of non-descript guys (different names and all). I always wondered when the switch was supposed to occur.

“Okay squad, we had our insertion speech, now lets just stand back and see how armstrong goes along with Corp. John Doe’s squad.”

4. alh_p says:

crappy offices (including arabic graffity) but stacks of guns on the floor and seems the devs are well supplied with warm woolens and leather jackets.

5. bascule42 says:

Operation Failpoint: Jed Shivers.

Go buy Arma (2).

This is horseshit.

6. rayne117 says:

I have never played an Operation Flashpoint game and know nothing about the developer, can someone give me the skinny on why almost everyone here hates this game already?

• Tubby McChubbles says:

The original game was pretty much the best war simulator game ever made (I acknowledge the hyperbole), and the reboot was very simplified. We blame consoles.

I like Arma, but the aiming is very ‘floaty’. It is reasonably difficult to aim well in real life, but these games aiming for realism always go over the top (and on how fast you can go with ironsights)

• Brumisator says:

Tubby, have you tried crouching or going prone, and avoiding sprinting like a madman to keep your breathing steady and your aim solid?

• Dominic White says:

Anyone who blames consoles for Operation Flashpoint 2 sucking never played the Xbox (ORIGINAL Xbox, even) port of OFP1. It was excellent. Looked better than the PC version in a few ways, and even supported mods, to a degree.

Then Codemasters cut off all ties with the original developers, and handed the most realistic military franchise out there to a studio specializing in driving games.

Yeah, that worked out well.

Just to elaborate on why Arma is so notable: It’s the civillian version of the Virtual Battlespace military training package, which is used by armed forces around the world. Yeah, the developers of OFP1 and Arma do actual mil-spec simulators, so it’s no surprise that they do the best soldier sims on the market.

7. Warth0g says:

I bought Op Flashpoint DR in the Steam sales fully expecting to hate it. Admittedly I’ve only completed the first couple of missions, but so far I’m really enjoying it. I am seriously considering throwing my rig away and getting a console, as I clearly am not qualified to continue calling myself a PC gamer…

• LordEvilAlien says:

I enjoyed OFP:DR too. I’ve played ARMA granted it had more scope with the vehicles and flying machines but it was a buggy mess. I hear ARMA 2 has less bugs. I’ve played the Arrowhead demo and it is a marked improvement over the original ARMA. I am looking forward to OFP:RR to be an improvement over DR.
      The fact that ARMA is derived from VBS makes me wonder how good/stable VBS actually is? It is not unheard of for a government department to procure software that doesn’t work properly…

• TeeJay says:

“It is not unheard of for a government department to procure software that doesn’t work properly…”
      …or not purchasing the relevant software in the first place eg UK Chinook Mk3s

8. H8Cr1me says:

I love how these guys are in utter denial that ArmA even exists. They did it when they were coming out with Dragon Rising. I’m sorry, but aside from the voice acting ArmA is as close as you get to being in the boots of a Marine.

• Baka says:

Well, there’s also Project Reality for Battlefield 2.
      Some of the collocations on youtube are very impressive to look at, but the wait dozens of minutes for something to happen part is cut out there I presume.
      That would be an interesting way to measure realism in a shooter: Insanity of the bulletspread and downtime between action.

9. ZIGS says:

Games For Windows Live. That is all

10. Navagon says:

Why do Codemasters bother? They never patch the damn games so now there’s no hope of me buying anything from them that’s not a driving game (which they do very well).

11. GoldenNugget says:

I’m not a Marine but aren’t there other infantry roles like radioman, FAC operator, Anti-Tank, Anti-Air infantry?

12. Reapy says:

Did they put a lot of work into improving the over the last game by finally including some advanced features like fucking mouse look in vehicles?

13. B0GiE-uk- says:

Well if its anything like the last one, i played it for 10 minutes and sent it back. It was crap. I have no hopes of this being any good either.

john_silence says:

@Man at 2:40: DON’T SIT ON THAT BARREL I’M GONNA SHOOT IT! It’s gonna EXPLODE!