PlanetSide Next: Thousands Of Players, Lo-Fi

By Jim Rossignol on January 26th, 2011 at 9:03 am.

A couple of different sources have now contacted us to confirm that the unrevealed Planetside sequel/remake Planetside Next will support “thousands” of players across the battlefield, in a manner similar to the original. Given the appearance of a couple of different images based on models from vehicles appearing in the old game, it looks like Planetside Next will be a straight-up remake of the original concept, albeit it with a different balance, as apparently the Galaxy (pictured) will play an even more important role in the game this time around.

Another source suggests that the game will be scaled to support “low-end” machines as old as six years. (So by implication pixel shader 3.0 cards and higher.) The game will apparently be launching in March, with a beta starting next month. We are going to be all over this.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Longrat says:

Oh joy of joys, planetside is back!

2. Crimsoneer says:

It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.

3. Schiraman says:

* happy dance *

4. Surgeon says:

Well seeing as how Gal hot drops were one the best aspects of the game, particularly convoys of Galaxies, my expectations have just rocketed.

Hopefully they’ll implement some mechanics to make organising people at the Sanc easier and quicker too, as that was always the most painful part.

5. Devenger says:

Gal(axy troop transport aircraft) drops were great, but part of the fun was that they were a difficult feat to pull off (not in terms of flying, though you did need a vaguely competent pilot, but in terms of organisation). I hope they don’t remove the player organisation element of trying to perform a successful gal drop, otherwise the awe wouldn’t be there when 6 reasonably armoured ReXo soldiers armed to the teeth with machineguns, rocket launchers and little hacking devices fly out of the sky and make your base’s generator less than happy (using unreasonable amounts of explosives).

6. Nilokey says:

TR command chat literally exploded… well as much as a chat channel can explode when this went out.

I’m going to sub (if there’s even subs) to Planetside Next based purely off this picture. On the side note there was some discussion around the idea that the next game will be running in the unreal 3 engine, since apparently all of SOE games tagged with Next are having that treatment.

On a super sidenote, has anyone checked in on tigersmith planetside stream? I was up rather early this morning chatting away happily about balancing and stuff with him. He might be doing some podcasts and stuffs.

7. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Oh joy and happiness! Can’t wait to get my hands on this.

But…. Are they remaking BFR’s?…

8. The Pink Ninja says:

Yeah…

But SOE…

¬____¬

• Barman1942 says:

I know it’s bizarre to say, but…SOE hasn’t let me down recently. They left well enough alone with Pirates of the Burning Sea, and DCU is pretty good from what I hear. Maybe…juuust maybe.

9. TimA says:

Much excitement!

10. Meat Circus says:

ALL PEW PEW AND NO WORK MAKES MEAT A HAPPY BOY

11. Njordsk says:

Color me interrested.

Oh who am I kidding, EXCITED !

12. Jonathan says:

I missed out on PS first time around because my PC was too slow, but my clanmates had an awesome time with it. Count me in for round two!

13. weego says:

so if its the same does it mean that unless you are in with a group of people who play all day you are yet again doomed to be one of the people who only ever gets to battles after they are just about over?

Also, do I get to be a sniper even though there is no vegitation or cover system who has no ability to get away from tanks that move 4 times my run speed and thus are a guaranteed kill every time as they can spot me from miles away?

Having said all that, there were moments where it was a blast. hopefully it will be a decent pick up and play model. Oh also, was it really necessary to make me put 2 entire clips into someones back before they would die? Doesn’t firepower on a battlefield always stay 1 step ahead of armor?

• WildcardUK says:

I’m not sure I want snipers to have the ability to outrun vehicles. Damn straight being spotted by a tank when you’re out in the open should mean a quick death!

• Bungle says:

You want to be able to safely snipe people from a mile away but don’t want tanks to be able to hurt you from a mile away. Go play single player games, hypocrite. Nobody else wants to play the game where YOU always win.

• Zombat says:

ATV
      Costs 1 cert point
      3 Vehicles, one of which is really great against tanks in the right hands, all of which are the fastest ground assets availible
      ATVs have plenty of trunk space to carry extra ammo, glue, and med juice (why did that never get a short hand anyway?)

There, enjoying sniping and running away like a coward

14. CMaster says:

Let’s hope they get pricing right this time round.
    I had a great time in the reserves, but paying $40 followed by $15/month always seemed to much for a game that got repetitive fast.

More need to use and easier to organise use of the APCs as well as the Galaxies would be fun too.
    Anti-too-quick text.

15. Tei says:

* looks at glass sphere *

I see me paying Station Pass to play Planetside, Vanguard Saga of Heroes and DC Universe.
    Too bad my patience to play mmo’s never last longer than two months.

16. ZephyrSB says:

With all the recent speculation and stories about this, I was pretty much convinced that Next was going to turn out to be some instanced arena FPS with faux-RPG elements to justify the MMO model.

I have never been happier being so wrong in my whole life!

17. jplayer01 says:

I never thought I’d see the day. ^_^

18. oceanclub says:

The scaling news is good – the original simply demanded too high specs on release, and by the time hardware caught up with it, it had too low populations. Am very interested in this…

P.

19. Sardaukar says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

• Sardaukar says:

Well now that that is out of my system, will you chaps please come back to the original PlanetSide for a bit? And join a faction besides the Terran Republic? Vanu Sovereignty would be cool, but, you know, as long as you’re not TR.

• Surgeon says:

I’m going to resub today and will get it installed tonight.
      There’s already a few people who have resubbed from the clan, Long Forgotten Soldiers.
      Vanu forever!

• Shatners Bassoon says:

Last time I came back to play it was the VS who had global domination, nice to see it keeps changing hands. God damn I love this game. The back of my Maths GCSE paper had doodles for an attack my clan were preparing later that night. Oh it ran my life.

20. Heliocentric says:

I used to fly/drive camo scouts for gal drops. I’d get in, lay a mine field on a likely route of advance while the gal drop or mobile spawn got organised… The trunk of my vehicle would be loaded with the mine turret things.

I’d gotten 50 to 0 kill ratios floating around laying mines and turrets never actually drawing fire.

I played as a “reserve” for free with a level cap. More of that please.

21. tungstenHead says:

My only remaining fear is map design.

• Surgeon says:

Yeah, mine too.
      There’s been so much feedback and criticism of that over the years though, surely they can’t ignore it.
      There was even talk of base redesigns back in the day, although that eventually got canned as it meant a full redesign of each continent from what I remember.

• Heliocentric says:

When you can fly over it? Terrain isn’t so critical, sad but true,

• Reapy says:

At the least I’d want them to do stuff like have unique base design per continent (if they stick with that model). My problem was no matter what continent I was on, I was in one of 5 bases, so effectively the game felt like an FPS with 5 maps and sometimes a tower.

I don’t think it would take much effort to have unique building layouts for ALL the bases, but even if they were on a per continent basis it would really help the game feel more massive and varied.

I hope this will have a free to play model as well, not sure I’m up to paying a sub. But man either way now I have to go find a new clan to play with :)

• Surgeon says:

Free to play up to BR 6 and subscriptions for no level caps would seem like an obvious idea, well, to me at least.
      Then F2P takes the place of the PlanetSide Reserves.

22. Groove says:

Yay! I always wanted to play Planetside after reading about it in PCG, but I didn’t have the internet connection for it until about 4 years after it came out.

Really looking forward to this

*Arg*

2 comments in 2 days is clearly madness. I promise I’ll spend less time on the site in the future.

23. Njordsk says:

I’m still wondering how an unannounced game can be in beta in february, released in march, yet we didn’t see anything except 2 pictures of modelised vehicules.

I can’t get the idea of an ackbar-like-trap out of my mind sadly.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Not every game starts their hype engines years beforehand. In fact, it seems a lot of games are missing ‘peak hype’ because of delays and mistimings and people are sick of hearing about it by the time it’s released. I like this way better.

• Njordsk says:

So do I. Surprising though

24. crainey92 says:

I was still playing Runescape (I’m 18 now) when Planetside was around so I only heard of the existence of this game about 2 years ago which was too late, I can’t wait to see what all the fuss is about, this is my kinda game.

25. Thunderkor says:

I wonder if the Global Agenda folks feel threatened by this?

I gave the original Planetside a whirl back in the day, at the behest of two coworkers who were completely addicted. I spent most of my time waiting for some sort of mass transit (Next shuttle in 10 minutes!) to take me to wherever they were. There was supposed to be some sort of instant action button, but not only did it not work most of the time I tried it, when it did work it wouldn’t take me to wherever they were.

Admittedly I have little patience for such nonsense, but I hope the new one doesn’t have this same issue.

And yes I’ve been told before that was a lame reason to not like the game, but that was also one of the primary reasons I quit WoW after 2 months. I barely missed an airship one too many times and that was it for me. I’m not paying $15 a month to stand around waiting for mass transit.

• ryanhamshire says:

/agree

Too much time waiting, respawning, running, and waiting again. And when I finally got to the battle, some dood in a pile of uberarmor or driving an ubertank would kill me in an instant, laughing at my sissy bullets. Planning and imagining very fun, actual gameplay very boring.

26. Bennus says:

Like many others I missed the first draft, but love reading the stories that came out of it. So I would be very up for some RPS clandiggery once its beta-ed/released.

27. msarge says:

I too missed Planetside the first time around, but I was well aware of it. I still haven’t even tried an MMOFPS.

28. Nomaki says:

RPS totally needs a clan for this when the beta goes live, would be awesome!
    Unstoppable RPS fury!

29. three says:

The Phantasm BLAH BLAH BLAH DAVE FILL IN

30. ceriphim says:

I wonder what they’ll do with balance between races? Always loved playing VS but the server I was on it seemed like NC and the other one (I forget the name) were always battling for control with VS a distant third.

Mobility is a cool concept to build an army around unless your objective with that army is to hold ground. It always felt like our mobility and energy weapons didn’t count for shit when in the middle of defending a besieged base…

31. starclaws says:

Planetside makes APB look like shit… And Planetside was shit to begin with… It has always had potential but the lag was horrendous.

32. ryanhamshire says:

PS1 felt good for a few days, but then I realized I was spending 90% of my time respawning and travelling to the battle, and only 10% fighting. Then half the time I’m fighting against someone who has a huge advantage over me (too small to hit with my tank, yet fires missiles; tank is too well armored to kill with my gun, so all I can do is run away and hide).

I really love the idea of PlanetSide, and there’s no other game trying to do this. I just hope they manage to somehow design away the tedium of travel, absence of organized play, and frustratingly unassailable rock/paper/scissors balance.

33. Quinchly says:

Better unpack my Decimator. The infantry A-bomb.

34. Xonolerp says:

Hmm! Wonder who could’ve dropped these tips to RPS…
    *whistle*