Patrician IV: Rise Of A Dynasty Announced

By Quintin Smith on January 28th, 2011 at 5:55 pm.

Snow is what happens when God leaves a tissue in the tumble drier.

RIGHT. Kalypso’s announced an expansion for Patrician IV. I’m struggling to concentrate here as I’ve just found out that Kalypso are based in Worms, Germany, which is such a messed up name that I couldn’t have invented it if I tried, but I’ll soldier on. Rise of a Dynasty will add a new co-op mode, six new scenarios, eight new missions and all sorts of smaller improvements, including the chance to “interact with individual citizens to gauge the populace’s attitudes and concerns”. Presumably so you can ask the weird banana guy what he’d like to see in your merchant caravan and end up with thirty tons of bananas rotting in the city docks. Full press release follows.

Kalypso Announces Official Add-on for Trading Simulation Patrician IV

“Rise of a Dynasty” to add multiplayer, new scenarios, maps and more to the popular trading simulation

Ridgewood, NJ, January 28, 2011 – Kalypso Media today announced a new expansion for Patrician IV, their best-selling medieval-era trading simulation game. Rise of a Dynasty will be the first official add-on to Patrician IV, and will add a variety of new cities, scenarios, cooperative multiplayer and much more. Patrician IV: Rise of a Dynasty is scheduled for a release exclusively through digital distribution channels in North America on March 31, 2011.

Patrician IV: Rise of a Dynasty offers players an exciting and fresh trading challenge with eight new cities to explore and introduces a multiplayer co-op mode for up to four players via the Internet or LAN. New features, based on suggestions of the fan community, have been added along with numerous improvements to the city environments and overall atmosphere of the game. Several timed scenarios are available, which, depending on how quickly they are completed by the player, adjust the difficulty and wealth available of later missions.

Features include:

* Jointly control and grow the same Hanseatic trade organization and fight sea battles as a team; teammates can join or leave a game at any time in multiplayer mode
* Six new scenarios that can be played in single or up to four-player multiplayer co-op mode
* Expand your trade to eight new cities spread across four regions — the addition of land-based caravans allows the players to expand their trade empire by sea and by land
* New assignments and missions, including a treasure map which must be assembled from parts gathered throughout the game, provide new challenges and depth of play
* Stylish new interior views of buildings, new citizen animations and behaviors, and animated businesses enhance the game atmosphere; interact with individual citizens to gauge the populace’s attitudes and concerns
* Enjoy many additional game enhancements suggested by the Patrician community
* Patrician IV: Rise of a Dynasty is being developed by Gaming Minds Studios GmbH, a studio created with members of the original Patrician development team.

About The Kalypso Media Group

Founded in 2006 in Germany by industry veterans Simon Hellwig and Stefan Marcinek, Kalypso Media is a global, independent developer, marketer and publisher of interactive entertainment software that employs nearly 100 video game industry experts world-wide.

Along with Headquarters in Worms, Germany, the company has offices in the United Kingdom and the United States. Kalypso Media also enjoys very strong global digital distribution through its Kalypso Media Digital Ltd. subsidiary, and owns three development studios – Realmforge Studios GmbH, Gaming Minds Studios GmbH and Noumena Studios GmbH — and works with multiple leading independent developers.

Kalypso Media recently released the critically acclaimed best-seller Tropico 3 for Xbox 360 and PC, DarkStar One – Broken Alliance for Xbox 360, Disciples III: Renaissance and Patrician IV: Conquest by Trade for Windows PC. Upcoming titles include Dungeons, The First Templar and Tropico 4.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DJ Phantoon says:

I didn’t even know they made games in Germany!

Oh, and I guess the city of Worms is kinda weird too.

• Quintin Smith says:

I’m remembering now about how Martin Luther was judged at the Diet of Worms, and it is making much more sense.

• westyfield says:

Damn it Quinns, I was just about to drop in here and be all “You think Worms is weird, how about the Diet of Worms?” but you ruined it.

• alh_p says:

you live in a country with a place called loughborough and you think WORMS is weird?

• c-Row says:

Worms has a handful of nice pubs and the annual Niebelungen festival, but other than that, it’s not really worth a visit. Back in the days, Kalypso (under their old name Blackstar) used to run a game store near the railway station where me and my friends spent most of our time, but it’s long gone by now. I miss that place. *sniff*

• RegisteredUser says:

I would like to add that the only worms in Worms are likely the ones in the local Döner Kebap, but that’s likely just about it.
      Small town, statues with bird poop, and it’s not pronounced Worms like you pronounce Worms, but actually more like warm(as in temperature, or like the -orm in storm)s.

Then again, a diet of worms IS full of healthy proteins.

• westyfield says:

Hmm, I was always taught it was pronounced Varms (to rhyme with warm).

2. The Army of None says:

Ascaris lumbricoides the city, home of great games development.

3. stahlwerk says:

“Worms’ name is of Celtic origin: Borbetomagus meant “settlement in a watery area”. This was eventually transformed into the Latin name Vormatia that had been in use since the 6th century, which was preserved in the Medieval Hebrew form Vermayza (ורמיזא). Many fanciful variant names for Worms exist only upon the title pages of books printed when Worms was an early centre of printing: for instance William Tyndale’s English translation of the New Testament was printed at Worms in 1526.”

so says wikipedia

4. Fumarole says:

Tropico 4? Interesting.

• Torgen says:

I do love me some Tropico. Didn’t care for the second one at all, but played the heck out of the third one. Funny thing about it was that the sandbox mode was super easy, but the campaign was quite difficult.

• Severian says:

Interesting, and also a little annoying. I don’t want to make any undue comparisons to L4D/L4D2, but… I guess part of my frustration stems from my disappointment with T3 – just seemed like a flashy remake of the original (which was great) with no big gameplay innovations. I’m hoping T4 pushes the envelope further (read: provides a more interesting economy, and something to do when you’re broke) – and if it does, I’ll probably buy it.

5. BobsLawnService says:

Silly question but is the original Patrician IV any good?

• RedViv says:

It is. Knowing Kalypso though, I’d wait for the inevitable gold version available when this is out. This pack seems to improve the game vastly. Until now it was mostly just some Patrician 2 remake.

• Archonsod says:

It’s the same as most of Kalypso’s remakes/homages/copies. It’s a modern remake with some tweaking of the existing features and a couple of new ones. If you liked the original game it’s based off, you’ll like the remake. If you didn’t like the original game it’s unlikely Kalypso have altered it enough to make you change your mind.

It’s a bit of a iffy one for me. It’s a great Patrician game and I do like it, but a significant part of that is nostalgia. I find myself playing Conquest of the America’s more; they’re in similar game spaces but Conquest has a better pacing (and combat I actually enjoy rather than cringe from).

6. Severian says:

Anyone (with experience) want to do a Patrician IV vs. Settlers 7 vs. Dawn of Discovery comparison thingee? Meaning, your thoughts?

I have DoD, have enjoyed it greatly, and also not played it nearly enough. Everything I’ve heard of Settlers 7 says that, with the exception of the DRM-BS, it’s a fantastic and tense game. Don’t know much about the Patrician series, except that I’ve always looked at it from afar quite fondly.

• RedViv says:

Patrician is limited in its construction aspects and focuses on, well, being a patrician really. Trade, trade, build the occasional workshop, trade, become mayor, rise in the Hansa.
      Settlers 7 is just Settlers 6′ and Settlers of Catan’s love child, its typical game length more akin to its board game mother.

• RedViv says:

Patrician is more about trade, providing your home city with a little more craftsmen, trading more, and rising in the Hansa. Settlers 7 is basically Settlers 6′ and Settlers of Catan’s love child, with the usual session length taking more after those of its board game parent.
      Play more Dawn of Discovery. I demand it!

7. starclaws says:

This game series continues to really impress me. While Settlers continues to turn to shit, this game looks more and more promising. Though it really is only about the trading and building up resource production in multiple cities across Africa, Europe, and Asia. It can become challenging as the prices constantly change based on supply and demand in the cities and you have to stay on top of it or you will be screwed. Though it does feel like a steep learning curve in the beginning, there are usually tutorials that ease you in. I just hope they continue to craft out better GUI and scenarios to master.

8. Torgen says:

Spam-o-rama.

9. Alez says:

why does this game even exist? Just go back to anno 4 and all will be well.

The trading gets really old after a few games and it’s pretty much the core of the game. If you’ve never played a patrician game or one of the Port Royale games then you might enjoy this, otherwise….go back to anno 4 and all will be well.

10. RegisteredUser says:

Kalypso. No. Go away.

They basically at one point just stopped patching Mud TV while the forums were still filled with out of memory / various bugs/crashes/mass fail.

We don’t need their ilk.

11. thebigJ_A says:

I’m laughing at the idea of an actual person who enjoys a Patrician game saying “It looks sick!”.

Oh, spambots. The funny things you say.

12. Okami says:

If you think Worms is a messed up name for a city, wait until you’ve seen the lovely austrian town of Fucking…

13. squareking says:

That is a glorious screenshot.

Comment on this story