The RPS Bargain Bucket: World of Hangover

By Lewie Procter on January 29th, 2011 at 1:39 pm.

Gosh thinking about numbers is hard. Can’t I just crawl back into bed instead? I suppose I shouldn’t shirk my fiscally focused responsibilities just because of a hangover, those cheap games aren’t going to compile themselves into a handy list are they? I guess at least the bucket has two uses this weekend. SavyGamer.co.uk still exists.

Penny Arcade Adventures Episodes 1 & 2 – £2.25/€2.99/$2.99
I didn’t think these were very good. Well, to be fair, I didn’t think the first one was very good, got bored and stopped, maybe the second is amazing. If you’re a fan of the webcomic, then you might like seeing the characters from it in a game. If you’re not a fan of the web comic, I guess you might like the game.

Topware pack – £21.99/€25.63/$34.89
The unwritten rule of GOG promo bundles is that I have never played any of them, and this weekend’s Topware pack is no exception. Any old favourites of yours in here?
Contains (and individual pricing):
Dream Pinball 3D – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Earth 2140 Trilogy – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Earth 2150 Trilogy – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Earth 2160 – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Enclave – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Gorky 17 – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Jack Orlando – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Knights and Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Septerra Code: Legacy of the creator – £2.64/€3.08/$4.19
Two Worlds – £4.41/€5.13/$6.99

X2/X3 – Cheap
All of the X games on impulse are half price, and you can use the coupon “SURVEY2010″ to get another 10% off. I’ve heard a variety of opinion in whether Terran Conflict or Reunion is the one that you should play. There is the Gold edition that has both Terrran Conflict and Reunion, but it’s not discount any further than buying them separately, so bollocks to that.

Deal of the week
20% off everything at D2D
I’m not sure how long this is going to be running for, possibly just today, so don’t delay if you want to take advantage. It would appear that there is no coupon for the .eu website, but for a lot of stuff EUers are able to use the UK or USA site. Using these coupons you can get the following games for the following prices:
UKers enter coupon “PAYDAY”
USAers enter coupon “WETKITTY”
The Witcher 2 – £25.20/$35.96
Test Drive Unlimited 2 – £19.96/$31.99
Total War: Shogun 2: Total War – £23.96/$39.96
Magicka – £6.36/$7.96
MX vs. ATV Reflex (Today only & registers on Steam) – £2.92

Also of note:
The Sims 3 [Ultimate Bundle] – £57.47/€94.97/$89.97

For more cheap games through the week, get yourself to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. cytokindness says:

It should be noted that the Penny Arcade games were supposed to have a third game, but it was canned and what would have been the third game is being serialised as a comic on the PA website.

2. MikoSquiz says:

Confused here. Are they just selling the expansion to JA2 by itself, or offering the greatest PC strategy game of all time *and* an expansion for £2.64?

• Diziet Sma says:

Clicking the gog link in the article then JA2 then reading the reviews would indicate that it’s JA2: Wildfire as a standalone. 2 good reviews, but the guy that gives it 1/5 implies it’s just Wildfire standalone and not the main JA2.

• realityflaw says:

Yeah as wildfire was a standalone I would assume that thats all you’re getting here.

• MikoSquiz says:

Oh, right. I didn’t know the expansion exists as a standalone thing.

• RadioactiveMan says:

JA 2: Wildfire is HARD. I found I could only succeed by resorting to massive save/loading, which quickly sucked the fun out of it for me.

The game starts with you landing (crashing?) on a new island, and your starter team of mercs is ~5 tiles from the nearest town. The town, if you make it there, is your first chance to resupply, refit, and hire new mercs. The tiles between you and that town are each crawling with well-armed baddies, while your guys have poor weapons and armor. Anyone who has played JA knows that health mechanic can be rather brutal- bleeding, exhaustion and reduced capabilities result from most wounds. The result is that this very first part of the game is a gauntlet/meat grinder that you are forced to run through. Not fun.

• bluebomberman says:

@ RadioactiveMan

That sounds like JA2: Unfinished Business, not Wildfire. Wildfire was originally a mod to JA2.

• Nick says:

wildfire is shit, just a warning.

• RadioactiveMan says:

Ah yes Bluebomberman, You are probably correct. Its been a long time since I played…. Unfinished business it is, my mistake!

• scienceshoew says:

I dunno, I can see how Wildfire has some value for folks who just want more JA2. (And who doesn’t want more JA2?) But it’s mostly the same game, and it’s harder, and I find that JA2 just gets horribly grindy when it’s hard.

3. pakoito says:

Word on that hangover. Damned Jagermeister.

4. balooba says:

Is Shogun 2 going to be Steamworks?

• IncredibleBulk92 says:

I’m wondering that too. Same goes for the new Dawn of War

EDIT: Looks like shogun 2 will use steamworks so you should be able to add the game to your steam list like your could with empire and napoleon.

• Heliosicle says:

the new DoW is definitely steamworks as thats what it uses for matchmaking.

• balooba says:

After a bit of googling it certainly sounds like Shogun 2 will be Steamworks, however would appreciate confirmation from anybody with more knowledge. Great bargain if so- its £30 on Steam with little (zero) prospect of dropping before launch.

• Janek says:

For reference, Gamersgate does indicate that it “Requires a 3rd party download and account” which sounds an awful lot like Steam to me. They’re also giving 30% cashback in blue coins for the Shogun 2 preorder, in addition to the usual 5%, so the price is effectively about £20 for Shogun and £10 to spend later. Which is nice to have for a rainy day.

5. Gnoupi says:

X3TC is X3 reunion with a (much) better interface. The X3 gold pack is quite useless, then, just get X3TC.

The improvement in the interface is really worth it, especially if you’re not willing to learn all keyboard shortcuts by heart to do anything.

Aside from these details, X3TC is a great game, if you are willing to give it some time. It really is a space simulator, including all the industry and commerce simulations.

• Pemptus says:

Uh, doesn’t Reunion have a totally different campaign as opposed to TC’s more aimless approach with a couple of story missions? True about the interface though.

• realityflaw says:

I totally agree, the sometimes bassackwards / frustrating interface has been significantly improved (though its still somewhat distant from intuitive) and this is truly an excellent game for those interested in the 4x genre, and the flight simmy aspects add an unheard of vitality to this title.

I often shepard forth my fleet of 20 or 30 lumbering vessels in a slow as molasses Carrier class vessel only to launch out as a sprightly frigate or cruiser once the fighting proper has begun. Its a far cry from the distant hands off feeling that most games of this genre foster.

On the other hand I will say that after the 2nd or 3rd time rolling out such a fleet, with almost literally unspendable amounts of money coming in from my various vice complexes and fleets of universe traders. Now with all the (rather superficial) story missions completed, and all of the important loots collected this game loses most of its luster.

I had really hoped that with the inclusion of the corporations I would see some intelligent opponents to my domination of anything I could want, I honestly feel like my only opposition in this game is time, and the god engine (and the god engine cheats). I guess I should really check the mod scene and see if anybody has improved on the level of challenge here, or maybe I should try the Khaak start again or start raiding racial space or something.

Maybe its strange that in a 4x title like this I expect opponents that do more than send small groups of pirates seemingly at random to raid my massively defended systems? But again this is a complaint that has grown out of literally hundreds of hours of enjoyment so I can’t complain too much.

• Nullkigan says:

@Pemptus:

Are you seriously trying to defend the campaign and story in an X game?

This is the series which started off in a basement, used a periodic table for a map and gave us the wonderfully named character Ban Danna. The series is so uncreative that the main races are A(rgon), B(oron) … Z(enon), etc. The writing (and especially cutscenes) have always been absolutely cringeworthy, even by Bad Movie standards.

However, the games themselves are passably fun. When you finally purchase your own frigate things really start to pick up. Getting your grubby mits on a carrier and kitting it with a full wing of M3+ superfighters and watching entire sectors get turned to dust is amazing.

The mod support is great too. Which reminds me that I need to look for one that removes the level scaling (two seperate systems exist based on killcounts and total traded money, for those interested).

• Bassism says:

Yeah, don’t buy Reunion. It’s the same as Terran Conflict, only worse in every way. The main plot is the same sort of deal in TC, and in TC you’ve even got multiples to choose from. But to be honest, the plot is only worth playing in order to learn how to play the game.

For those who have gotten bored with TC, I’d heartily recommend the XTended Terran Conflict supermod: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=293490
      These are the guys who made the original XT mod for Reunion, many aspects of which went on to be included in TC itself. The feature list is ridiculous, an all-new semi-dynamically expanding universe, new ships and ship classes new stations, a new weapon system with weapons being unique to each race, the return of the BBS, new graphics, new UI, and lots of other stuff. It’s like a brand new, better game. My only gripe is that all the sectors are huge, which has led to me using SETA far more.

X2 is also worth the 5 bucks. While the newer games sport much better gameplay, X2 is still the more immersive and atmospheric game. Ships have cockpits, you can fly around inside stations, each race has unique looking stations, nebulae make sense, etc etc. I still fly about in X2 just to enjoy a more imaginative universe. All my serious playing is done in TC though.

Oh, and Null, while I haven’t done enough playing around to ascertain whether the level scaling is still present in XTC to the same degree or not, you can dynamically change the difficulty in game to make things easier/harder as you please, which might work for you.

• jRides says:

What I never liked about the X games was that each system felt like a teeny room with invisible walls and all its planets sort of piled around randomly – has this changed at all?

• Zenicetus says:

@jRides — No, the areas you can fly around in for each system are still tiny, with a simplistic square grid with off-ramps at the edges. That hasn’t changed in the latest version, and it’s one of the big turn-offs for me with the whole series. Egosoft has never bothered to revamp the basic engine design from the earliest versions. It still feels like navigating and fighting on a spreadsheet grid.

The speeds seem very slow too, which probably has something to do with keeping the action areas small. Fighters just don’t feel very fast…. everything crawls along, like it was a blue water navy simulation instead of a space sim. . I’m spoiled by games like Independence War 1 & 2, which managed to make space feel big, and space flight/combat feel fast. The AI for enemy ships isn’t very challenging either. You need to be swarmed or massively out-classed to feel any real threat.

As a flightsim/space geek, I’ve tried very hard to like the X3 series. It does have a lot to offer in the economic/empire-building area though, and I know some people really get into that. At the current sale price, it’s dirt-cheap to find out if it’s your cup of tea.

• ascagnel says:

@Zenicetus: can you recommend any other space sim games? I got a joystick for the holidays and I need an excuse to use it. So far, I have:

- IL2 1946
      - X3: Terran Conflict
      - Freespace 2
      - MS Flight Sim
      - Battlefield 2
      - BFBC2

• Zenicetus says:

@ascagnel — Congrats on the joystick. We’re still in a long dry spell for good cockpit-level space games, but if you can handle the somewhat dated-looking graphics, I highly recommend Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos. GoG has it as a download for $5.99 USD

Here’s the GameSpot review for some background info to see if you’d like it:

I’d also recommend Orbiter — a free, non-combat space flight simulator:

• jRides says:

Thanks Zenicetus, think I will give it a miss – same as you it sounds like exactly my cup of tea, but in execution, a bit poor.

@ascagnel take a look at Evochron Legends, its pretty cool. But I’d second Zeneticus’s recommendation of IW2, its pretty good – and you already have FS2 which is the best one around. :)

6. dancingcrab says:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is on sale for £7.50 on the UK D2D site. With the extra 10% off, that’s £6. Probably worth it despite the SecuROM protection that D2D uses in many of its games.

7. The Great Wayne says:

Magicka is less than 7 euros if you use the US site + promocode to pay in dollars, tax included. Nice deal (around 30% less than steam actual price, f*** the change rate) for the game + dlc even if it’s a little buggy right now.

8. bluebomberman says:

Have to agree with you, paid my $3 for Penny Arcade bundle and now it’s lying fetid on my hard drive. By the time I got to the urine quest, I wanted my $3 back.

• Wilson says:

I enjoyed the first Penny Arcade game, but wasn’t really tempted by the sequel. At this price though, might go for it. I expect it depends a lot on if you enjoy the humour.

9. Mike says:

Wet… kitty?

10. Vandelay says:

As Dawn of War 2: Retribution was mentioned a little way up, might be worth noting that the price in the UK is not quite so bad as I first thought. Although the RRP seems to be full game price, quite a few of the online retailers seem to be doing the Collector’s Edition at about that price, rather then the basic version. I pre-ordered a copy from Shopto.net last night for £26.86. Other usual suspects seemed to be a similar price.

• Heliosicle says:

you’re still paying £5 more than it should be, think I’ll just use paypal and an american friend!

• Vandelay says:

Very true. I think the price is fair though. I was expecting the Collector’s edition to be about the price of a full game. It’s just that I was expecting the standard version to be less than £20.

11. Joe Maley says:

‘USAers enter coupon “WETKITTY”’?

Are you pulling my nuts?

12. Navagon says:

Earth 2150 is a good take on the RTS genre that remains pretty unique to this day. I particularly like how the gameplay mechanics are tied in with the storyline too. Earth 2160 is also good, but I find that one a bit tough, personally. I must be doing something wrong somewhere along the line. Earth 2140 was a generic C&C clone, as far as I can tell.

Enclave is a good bit of third person hack and slash brought to you by the people behind the Riddick games. It’s not anything like up to Riddick standards though, unfortunately. But still worth it at that price.

13. The Great Wayne says:

Also, the D2D sale ends on monday at 10am according to the US site.

14. Smidey says:

(Edited for stupidity reasons. That’s what I get for not reading the comments first)

15. realityflaw says:

First of all #corrections (do you guys do this?) Septerra Code should be Septerra Core.

Gorky and JA2:WF are pretty solid turn based tactical games, one of my favorite genre’s so maybe I’m a bit biased when I say they are both quite good.

The X series has grown in an almost entirely pyramidal structure, each new feature is built almost entirely on top of those of the previous game, and as the story is almost entirely perfunctory, I can’t imagine what arguments someone would make to starting with X2 or some such. Maybe after you’ve dominated the galaxy in TC you would like to go back and play the older titles, but if you’re looking for more of the same (which the previous titles certainly are) why not just try a more difficult start or something.

GOG is my favorite DD service so I intend to purchase the Witcher 2 from them.

The sale on Magicka made me regret my purchase on Steam until I remembered that the only successful MP matches I’ve had with my friends thus far have been via spamming steam’s friend list based “join” feature.

• The Great Wayne says:

Well, you can register magicka just fine on steam even if you bought it on d2d.

edit: don’t even bother d/ling it via d2d, just enter the serial in your steam account and get it from there.

16. jalf says:

I thought the Penny Arcade games were lovely. Really, surprisingly fun. arcadey jrpg-lite combat system, fun, wacky story, surprisingly cool setting, and lots of jokes.

As a casual “keep me entertained for a couple of hours” kind of game, it really hit the spot. Definitely worth the current price, IMO.

• Wilson says:

Yeah, that sums it up nicely for me. Though it seems it might have something of a Marmite love it/hate it thing going on.

• Lars Westergren says:

The writing was much improved in the second game, I laughed out loud a few times unlike the first game. Even better, it had some honest to goodness adventure game puzzles in it. In the first game, I think all puzzles consisted of “Kill every mob. The last one will drop the item you need”.

The second game also had a number of neat boss fights. But by the end of it I was incredibly tired of the JRPG fights against the regular mobs. The first time you meet a new enemy, spot if it is weak to regular attacks, limit breaks or items. Then use that attack all the time.

So if they change their mind and ever do a third game, I hope they add some new level of strategic depth, like positioning for instance (with attack ranges, flanking, and cover).

17. Alaric says:

WETKITTY? Really? Well, I imagine that’s better than HARDROOSTER…

18. cjlr says:

Earth 21×0 series is one of my favourite RTS of all time. Great fun.

Fun fact: my uncle did voicover work on Jagged Alliance.

19. iLag says:

Impulse has Hearts of Iron 3 Complete (main game + expansion + stupid sprite packs) for 70% off today. Worth it? Is HOI more, less or equally complex than Europa Universalis?

• Gaytard Fondue says:

As you might have guessed, HoI focuses on war. And yeah, pretty unique for a Paradox game since you can’t conquer the entire world with any crappy nation.

Edit: Almost forgot, get it!

• Warth0g says:

Thanks for the heads-up.. Just bought HOI3 and am ploughing fearfully through the manual…..

20. Shadow Aspect says:

Very Odd: I just bought Tron: Evolution from D2D for £23.96 (happy with that price, not so much with 29.95), paid with Paypal, went back to my account and I have apparently also purchased Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End at the same time (no charge on Paypal though).

21. Icarus says:

Not interested in most of that GoG bundle but I was pondering picking up Two Worlds and Septerra Core. I dunno for sure if they’re any good, though, can anyone point me one way or the other?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Two Worlds is good if you get high before you start playing.

• Kefren says:

I bought Two Worlds from GOG a month or so ago and played through it, enjoying almost every minute. It has amazing graphics and it was really relaxing sometimes to just take in the views, swim in a river, trot around on a horse etc. It is a bit strange in parts but give it a chance and it will entertain you for a single playthough. However the main bugs are that for many people cutscenes don’t play (so you think there is no story – in that case you can run them from the C:. The test is whether a new game has a cutscene or just starts you outside a cave like it did for me – “WTF?” I thought at first.)

• jdeuel says:

I got Septerra Core a while ago in a 2pack with SHOGO. Shogo was the better game. Septerra core is a very, very slow RPG with combat reminiscent of Chrono Trigger and an OK story with a pretty fully realized universe. But god it’s slow.

22. Xocrates says:

I’m seriously disappointed not to see the 1000£ limited editions of “Ben There Dan That” and “Time Gentleman Please” in here. Now that’s a bargain if I ever heard of one

23. mwoody says:

So the sidebar on the D2D site advertises that you can “earn up to $10 for each friend you refer.” Anyone know what the deal is there? Clicking the link just asks you for their e-mail addresses, with no explanation of the deal.

EDIT: Oh, you have to enable scripting for tellapal.com or whatever to see the little box. Digging down into their terms of service – broken links and all – it seems you get a 20% off coupon (gosh, yay), $5 to charity or your paypal account if they spend $30 on their first purchase using your referral link, $10 if they spend $50. It looks like it’s not related to this deal, just their standard referral program.

24. michaelkelleherthename says:

Sims 3 in sterling is 57.47 which converts to 66.70 Euros. But the actual price is 94.97 Euros. Almost 30 euros more expensive. Bah!

25. Big Murray says:

I’m going to say the one reason why D2D sucks for me and why I wished I just paid the extra 70p to get it on Steam.

I don’t like D2D calling my bloody house.

26. LostSoviet says:

Telltale is having a quiet sale on the 2nd season of Sam & Max (Beyond Time and Space). If you use the coupon code “9TB-ZE4-AN7″ that they put in their latest Interloper email newsletter, you can have the game(s) for $5 instead of $30.

GetGames is offering a 25% discount and a free deluxe pack upgrade for preordering Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood.

OnLive is running a THQ weekend promo. On Friday, they discounted Red Faction Guerrilla by 75%. Today (Saturday), Metro 2033 is 50% off. Sunday’s deal is supposed to be Darksiders (no discount announced yet).

Impulse has discounted all N3V Games titles by 50%: http://www.impulsedriven.com/explore/n3v_games/onsale

• Vesperan says:

Thanks Lost Soviet – picked up the Season 2 of Sam and Max for the $5. I have season 1 but it was a bit meh.. I’ve read season 2 is better, so I will give it a shot.

27. donmilliken says:

I took advantage of the D2D 20% off deal to pre-order The Witcher 2 for $35. Not bad. Also, I’ve bought stuff off D2D on the rare occasions they’ve had a better deal than Steam and never gotten any weird phone calls.

*checks account*

Ah, would be because they don’t have my phone number. I guess it isn’t required and now I’m glad I didn’t give it.

28. Donkeyfumbler says:

Spam from Acubs needless to say (obivous really, we all know Lewie has the best prices).

Takes you to some site that buys and sells MMO accounts, just FYI.

29. Jason Moyer says:

Has anyone downloaded Gorky 17 recently? I bought it a year or two ago and it was horrifically broken; no idea if it’s been fixed.

30. donmilliken says:

I took advantage of the D2D 20% off deal to pre-order Witcher 2 for $35 (That’s £22 for you Brits). Not a bad deal, I thought.

31. thebigJ_A says:

If you get Terran conflict, you don’t need Reunion. TC is the same game, betterized. (Yes the “story” is different, but you don’t play X3 for the story. It’s barely there anyway.

32. terry says:

Nice to see The Sims on steam. Not so nice to see the miserly prices.

33. adonf says:

Crusader Kings complete edition is 6€ on Green Man Gaming for another hour. They say 70% off but the price was 10€ before that (with allegedly 50% off), so it’s a bit misleading…

Comment on this story