IGF Audience Award Voting Open!

By Jim Rossignol on February 1st, 2011 at 2:05 pm.

So yes, the audience awards for this year’s Independent Game Festival Awards are up, and you can vote, right here. Minecraft seems like a fair bet for the winner of this particular award, of course, but maybe, just maybe, that rabid Amnesia community will pull it together and give that game the big thumbs up it deserves.

Can anyone else suggest a contender?

1. terry says:

I’ll be happy to vote for Retro City Rampage when they release it in 2034

2. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

I went with the Dream Machine, but I seriously doubt that anything other the Minecraft will win.

Which is fair, because it is original, compelling and popular. I just personally prefer the Dream Machine…

3. pakoito says:

Desktop Dungeons!

• Chris D says:

Good point, well made.

• Chunga says:

“Oh, Desktoppers of the world
      Unite and take over…”

• MadTinkerer says:

Actually, yeah! That is a good point, even though it’s not my favorite RL by a long shot, it’s the best casual RL I’ve seen so far.

Still voting for Minecraft, though. Ignoring both the fanboys and the haters, it’s honestly my favorite Indie game released this year including DD. If this was last year and Minecraft was still in it’s really rough phase with no Survival mode, it’d be a different story.

JB says:

What MadTinkerer saided.

4. Deano2099 says:

Yeah went for Desktop Dungeons. It won’t win though, but maybe when the much prettier Unity-based version comes out (hopefully) this year it’ll have a shot at next year’s awards.

5. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I voted for The Cat and the Coup because it seems like the worst game of the bunch and Minecraft will win anyway.

6. ANeM says:

I always find it odd when audience awards include entries that a large portion of the audience could not have any real experience with.

Bastion and Miegakure are two examples. While I’m incredibly curious about both games, I’m hesitant to vote for either when they have not even announced what platforms they will be available on. No amount of hype is going to let them beat out something people can actually sit down and enjoy.

7. Hoaxfish says:

Can’t vote for Minecraft as it’s not released yet… alpha/beta games are not complete.

Desktop Dungeons for me, it has much more replayability for me than Minecraft anyway.

8. BooleanBob says:

Vote for Desktop Dungeons: Cast!

Let’s get this bandwagon rolling, ladies and gents!

9. NPC says:

Aside from Minecraft, an obvious choice, SpyParty looks like the most interesting game out of that list. Apologies to Amnesia community!

10. Delusibeta says:

Was lazy, voted Amnesia.

• Chopper says:

Me too. Is it wrong to vote for a game I can’t bring myself to play?

The appeal of Minecraft totally escapes me, although I acknowledge it brings joy to thousands. Spyparty hasn’t been released yet, right?

11. Eclipse says:

vote anything you want just please, don’t vote Minecraft. Ok it’s a nice game, but it got truly too much spotlights and will surely win another prize this year at the IGF (maybe the main one). So help another less known indie developer and vote for it!

I’d love to see Super Crate Box getting this prize but of course it will not :( At least I hope for Amnesia

12. westyfield says:

Is SpaceChem a contender or was that released after the deadline?

13. Agrona says:

So many good choices here.

Just looking through the list, these jump out at me:

amnesia
    bit.trip games
    colorbind
    desktop dungeons
    dinner date
    meigakure
    minecraft
    nidhogg
    spy party
    super crate box

I sort of feel like the non-publicly available games (alas, poor Nidhogg) won’t fare so well, given the Internet-wide nature of the votes.

• Deano2099 says:

You mean the ones people can’t play won’t get as many votes? Well of course not, who’d vote for something they haven’t played… and if it’s been shown at shows or whatever then, maybe they should just release a demo.

14. ShawnClapper says: