Saints Row 3 Confirmed For Autumn

By John Walker on February 3rd, 2011 at 11:59 am.

An exclusive logo from THQ HQ.

I wield a lot of power. What I’m saying is, you should fear me. I was only bemoaning the lack of Saints Row 3 confirmation a couple of weeks back, and THQ instantly leapt into action. “Volition!” they screamed. “Walker needs the third instalment! WORK HARDER!” And so it is, with the news that a third in the anarchic and puerile series will be with us this Autumntide. THQ CEO Brian Farrell told listeners to a conference call,

“Volition is setting a new bar for this outstanding franchise and we look forward to unveiling this game in the near future.”

He didn’t say whether this bar would be high or low. I’m really hoping for low. Come on Volition, what have you got that’s more gross than the shit-spraying lorry. There’s no web presence for the game yet, and certainly no screenshots. Do hurry up. Ooh, I want to play some Saints Row 2 now.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Creeping Death says:

I got Saint’s Row 2 free when I bought… something I cant remember ages ago on steam. I haven’t even installed it once. I had heard it was amazingly buggy and overall a poor game… have I been hearing lies all this time?

• Chris D says:

My experience was that it was buggy and performance was poor enough to make driving anywhere with a time limit too frustrating to continue with, but also that if you could get beyond the bugs there was a really fun game under there waiting to get out.

I have also heard, but cannot confirm, that if your PC is powerful enough performance is much better and it’s a lot of fun.

• DarkFenix says:

My PC is very powerful; it’s still a buggy mess and still runs like shit. It even runs like shit compared to GTA4, which is horrendously optimised and much prettier too.

After SR2 was such a broken abomination (calling it a game would be too generous, it’d imply it worked for starters) that they’re not tricking me out of my money again. Hell, they’re not even tricking me out of the bandwidth it’d take to pirate it.

• BigJonno says:

Saint’s Row 2 is a brilliant game marred by a horrible PC conversion, possibly the worst for years. It’s what GTA4 would have been if they’d decided crazy, anarchic, criminal fun was more important than hard-hitting stories about Russian immigrants.

• Njordsk says:

Just like mercenaries 2 yeah

• Oneironaut says:

I got the game for something like $1.50 off THQ’s website, and I guess I was very lucky because the game worked perfectly for me, and without any bugs it was a really fun game.

• sassy says:

The game never used to work well on my last graphics card (basically had to turn off antistropic filtering, which is needed in that game or it looks horrible), now I have upgraded and it is running fantastically and really came across no bugs since … the car handling is still terribly, they needed to slow the vehicles down a little and work on steering.

I would trust volition will do better this time. Look at Red Faction Guerrilla, it ran beautifully (and I believe it was the same engine as SR2 but not entirely sure).

• tlarn says:

As BigJonno said, it’s a game which simply didn’t have a good PC port. Aside from that, it’s a very fun game; I own both it and GTA4, and I vastly prefer this over the other. GTA4 takes itself far too seriously and the driving tries too hard to be realistic, in my opinion. And there weren’t many hats at all.

• Aemony says:

The game itself is good, but if you want to play it and you have Windows 7 and a too powerful CPU you will notice that the gameplay is sped up, since the port is so bad optimized that the speed scales according to your CPU. It has domething to do with the 360 and it’s 3.0GHz CPU…

So play it on Vista!

• Chaz says:

Got it for the 360 and had bloody excellent fun playing it in co-op. Sounds like the PC conversion was shite though, but if you have a PS3 or 360 it’s definitely worth a punt, especially as you could probably get it for less than a tenner now, and if you could persuade another mate to get a copy then the co-op is brilliant fun. Also some genuinly witty and amusing cut scenes. Oh and truely excellent character customisation too.

2. Inigo says:

“I was only bemoaning the lack of Saints Row 3 confirmation a couple of weeks back”

You bastard.
    Why couldn’t you have said Freespace 3 instead?

• Pop says:

WAAAALLLLKEERR!!!!!

Man, I would kill for FreeSpace 3 – or pay good money.

• MrMud says:

yes, yes, yes and yes

• Xercies says:

Please can you call for a Shenmue 3!

• Blackberries says:

This is precisely what I thought when reading the post. Damn you, John. Damn you.

I was reminiscing about FreeSpace 2 only this morning.

• rivalin says:

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!

It’s funny, if only console gaming hadn’t taken off in such a big way we’d still have all those great developers working on the PC. A AAA space sim with physics and proper particle effects and realistic ship damage with hundreds of ships on screen would be incredible. Come to think of it you’d guess by now that one of the big developers would have seen the opportunity of making just the one space sim; all the pent up frustration of several million gamers could be chanelled into a ton of sales over the long term. Frankly if there’s an audience for crap like Silent bloody Hunter then there must be one for this.

• Pop says:

Well I fancy building me a time machine to stop this console menace before it gets started!

TBH, I’ve got the free time, if people want to make Freespace 3: Free Space Freedoms in Unity or Shiva or what not, I’d be more than happy to wade in as a programmer.

3. Baka says:

Awesome, could they patch Saints Row 2 beforehand? No? Bummer.
    It still doesn’t work for a buddy of mine, even with the community speedfix. I don’t think we can hope for anything else than another really sloppy port here.

4. Njordsk says:

Didn’t just you… ?

Anyway, SR is fun, more fun that GTA to me, though there are a lot of problem, like car handling and such.
    Take your time volition and polish that one.

5. Out Reach says:

I had no bugs with SR2 :\ What are you guys on about. Game Is Awesome.

6. Xocrates says:

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who feels getting you to design a character appearance so the game can fill it with its fully formed pre-existing character to be one of the worst design decisions ever?

• sassy says:

Actually I liked that.

I like predefined characters as they can take part in the story, not just be spectators like in so many other games. The ability to customize your character just added some fun.

• BigJonno says:

I’d take the character customisation every time. If it doesn’t matter what the character looks like, let players design their own. There are loads of games with shitty, bland protagonists that could have been replaced with anyone, because it was the circumstances that mattered. Prototype springs to mind; I just wanted to punch that guy in his hoodie-wearing face.

• Xocrates says:

@BigJonno: That’s part of my problem. I wanted to punch SR2 character in the face, but because I had designed it, it felt wrong. I don’t have a problem with customization, but I feel there’s a difference between “customize the character” and “design the character” and SR2 doesn’t make that clear.

• malkav11 says:

I thought it was substantially superior to the blank slate that was the protagonist of Saints Row 1 (which never came to PC). I had both the joys of guiding around a comically horrible human being, and getting them to look like an anorexic Gary Busey or the worst sort of trailer trash blob or a transsexual Chinese person with fabulously dyed hair or…

• lokimotive says:

The only way I could stand the main character in this game was if I made him look like a body building transvestite mime with a British accent. It was like playing a game through Meng (of Meng and Ecker); certainly an unprecedented experience.

I tried to play with a more ‘realistic’ (read: boring) character and I absolutely hated the guy. Taking it to a cartoonish level is really the only way to play the game.

• Chaz says:

My guy looked like and Andrew Eldritch impersonator from a Sisters of Mercy covers band complete with the British accent, and I thought he was bloody cool. So if your character was a social gimp then that was probably your fault. I was pretty impressed with the way they tailored the cut scene dialogue to suit the different voices too.

7. KaL_YoshiKa says:

I’ve played the PC and 360 versions of Saint’s Row 2…avoid the PC version like the plague. As far as I can tell there’s an extremely strong chance it will bug out on just about any config. When it works though it’s mad fun.

8. Mechorpheus says:

Now the ultimate sandbox game would probably be Saints Row 2 with Mafia 2′s tech. Loved that games engine, shame about what went on in the world (although I did enjoy it a lot more than I’d been lead to believe I would, but not a patch on the story from Mafia 1), but the engine was the biggest let down with SR2. It’s impossible to enjoy the fun mini-games and amazingly silly antics of your Arnold Schwarzenegger look-a-like in a pink tu-tu when the whole thing lurches around at sub 10fps, or outright crashes.

9. Thany says:

if I remember correctly SR2 runs good only on mashines with a lot of CPU cache, the only thing that ran it fine were Q96xx series with 12MB of it.

10. Dhatz says:

fans of nonsucking games and better than worst ever ports, turn your heads away and cover your ears, as i have to say: “SR3 is real.”

11. MikoSquiz says:

Goodie. Saints Row 2 was buggy as hell, but highly reminiscent of a hypothetical alternate-reality GTA IV that hadn’t had its fun gland surgically removed in many other ways as well.

12. Om says:

If you’ve been put off by the admittedly horrendous SR2 PC port, its worth having a look around for some unofficial patches and fixes. The game is definitely worth it. I gave up on GTA4 half way through but SR2 is just an unbridled bundle of fun and depravity. Its pretty much what GTA would have been if they’d stuck with the Vice City vibe. That is, an absolute blast

13. malkav11 says:

Saints Row 2 PC runs much better with a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. It’s still not perfect, but it’s not unplayable like it was for me previously.

14. pragmatick says:

Never played the port on PC, which is, as I heard, pretty horrible. The game on Xbox though is really fun. It may not be as “adult” as GTA, or some parable on the american dream, but when it comes to unpretentious, unadulterated fun it beats GTA pure and simple. It is technically inferior, the plot is not as great, but it has *a lot* more to do besides the main missions, the customization is incredible. GTAIV never really made you feel you had an impact on the world. You had millions of cash in your wallet but still lived in the same shabby apartment while in SR2 you had cribs, customized to your liking, your thugs were your colors, you had your own car style and so on.
    Yahtzee’s review on SR 2 says it best. I couldn’t be more hyped about SR3 than about any GTA game.

15. Bhazor says:

I didn’t get any glitches, Xbox version, I just thought it was a mediocre sandbox game with bad driving mechanics, dull shooting mechanics and a reliance on wacky hi-jinks to compensate for dull mission writing. GTA IV was just a much better game in terms of polish, production values and fun. That said the character customisation was fantastic especially how you could choose you voice actor and your own walking style and some of the humour did work even if the overall tone still rubbed me the wrong way. I was also very impressed with Red Faction Guerrilla on a technical level and mission design. So I’ll put this in the cautiously optimistic pile.

16. Hunam says:

Saint Rows chug chug chug chug.

17. oceanclub says:

I bought no. 2 for pennies, but annoyed-quit after finding the steering rubbish and the game buggy (pedestrians standing around doing nothing even as you killed/ran over them). I may give it a go again now I’ve upgraded, and I see there’s at least one steering mod been done for it:

If anyone else knows any must-have fixes for the game, please add links.

P.

18. mwoody says:

Man do I love SR2. I lost tremendous faith in the review industry when GTAIV, an inferior game with an inferior PC port, managed to get better scores almost across the board than SR2. But then, that might be because of co-op: I can’t say how good the game would be without a good buddy at your back for the entire campaign.

Of course, never ever play it without the newest version of the Gentlemen of the Row super-mod. Newer versions, rather than being a fun “add silly shit” mod for those who’ve already beaten the game, have worked to add the new content in a way that evolves as the game continues. It even replaces some of the lackluster challenge rewards with new stuff. Which is a long way of saying: don’t play vanilla then update; UPDATE FIRST. It also solves most of the bugs.

19. mwoody says:

Btw, is it just me, or does nothing quoted in this story match the title? He just said they’d talk about it in the near future. No release date confirmation.

20. Jimbo says:

I haven’t tried it on PC, but Saints Row 2 on 360 was brilliant. Play it co-op if you can – it’s the blueprint for how co-op in a game like this should work as far as I’m concerned. If the next GTA game doesn’t copy it entirely I will be most disappointed.

21. Berious says:

GTA done right but hopefully they won’t ask the work experience kid to bang out a PC port this time.

22. Nick says:

It ran like arse.. but I had so much fun with it.. even if driving was nearly impossible. Hated GTA4.

23. rocketman71 says:

It’s going to be hard for them to make a even shittier port than SR2.

Let’s see how this goes.

24. Schmung says:

If they can match the intense silliness of it’s ideas with a slicker execution then I’ll deffo get it. SR2 was messy and unrefined and a bit broken in places, but it was great, great fun.

25. RegisteredUser says:

R U sure it isn’t splelid Saints R3w? Coming out right before THI4F?

26. oceanclub says:

Well, I installed the handling mod for SR2, plus the powertools CPU fix and decided to give it another bash with my new whizzy graphics card (GTX 560 Ti). But it’s still rubbish. It runs like crap, and even with settings on high, it’s the most incredible bland game in term of textures/lighting (I’m reminded of the Postal 2 era). (Weirdly, even though I’m getting a high FPS, it’s still jerky too.)

And even with the mod, steering is still a chore. In GTAIV, with the keyboard, I can easily weave in and out of _oncoming_ traffic; in SR2, just getting from A to B is a nightmare (as it was in Red Guerilla: Faction – a chase mission in that was one of the most single frustrating missions I’ve ever played). And I’ve no idea if it’s a bug or it’s intentional, but NPCs still stand around stock-still, entirely unreactive until you punch them. Oh, and the keyboard layout is a mess.

So after about 15 mins, I quit and decided to play Episodes from Liberty City which I’d set aside a few months ago. I know taste is entirely subjective, but other from the air of (IMO laboured) whackiness, I can’t see why anyone would prefer SR2 to GTAIV, a game I thought by far the best of the series so far, even when it ran poorly on my machine (with the new graphics card, it looks lovely on Very High and runs at an acceptable 30+ FPS). Steering and combat in that are a joy; if I fail a mission and just want to mess around for a bit, I have so much fun doing my own “how long can I hold out against the cops after chucking a grenade under cars at an intersection”. While the opportunity to custom your character in SR2 is fun, it doesn’t come anywhere near making up for the shortcomings.

P.

• mwoody says:

If you actually liked GTAIV, much less thought it was “the best of the series so far,” then yes, SR2 is not for you.

• oceanclub says:

OK, but at least I spent several paragraphs explaining why, rather than 1-liner snide remarks.

P.

• Cvnk says:

Thanks. I’m going to try that driving mod. I don’t have any performance issues on my mediocre machine and the NPCs all seem to behave properly but I can’t play this game because of the way driving works. It’s so erratic and uncontrollable with keyboard and mouse that I actually get nauseous while playing.

And I agree that GTAIV was fantastic (I may have enjoyed GTA:SA more though). I think I could still enjoy SR2 though.

Comment on this story