The Yars’ Revenge Remake Is On Rails

By Jim Rossignol on February 3rd, 2011 at 3:50 pm.

We can reveal that it is an on-rails shooter because, well, that is what is revealed in the art-trailer which Atari have just released. That trailer, as is the fate of all trailers, is entombed below this post for you to watch. It talks about how the super-abstract shield-egg-fly weirdness of the original has been re-imagined as an Anime-inspired shooter, with a touch of Avatar. Yar was a fly in the original, and has “evolved” into a cute girl flying a robot in this. I know, it’s as if the original game was basically irrelevant to what they are doing here.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CMaster says:

“Visually stunning” he says.
    Does he mean stunningly bad.
    Oh god so ugly.

2. Bhazor says:

So it’s Lylat Wars then?
    Heck yes! I’ve been waiting for a decent one of these since Panzer Dragoon Orta on the original XBox.

3. ScubaMonster says:

While I agree this game has absolutely nothing to do with the original, thereby making the name on this game pointless, I don’t see a whole lot they could have done with the original. It was about as simple of a game as you could get. There’s not much you could do with a modern remake that would resemble the original at all, other than making the hero a mechanical fly who has missiles target an enemy base.

James G says:

Well there is a bizarre license adaptation. Never played the original, on account of never owning an Atari (it was probably also a bit before my time, but that never stopped me when it came to the ZX Spectrum catalogue), although I am aware of it.

5. Rob Hale says:

I think this project has now gone beyond what is reasonable for an attempt to troll the internet. I’m worried that it’s actually real and the people making it really are taking it this seriously.

6. DevilSShadoW says:

Am I supposed to care for this? Heck, I’ll probably forget about it right after I leave this page…
    Wait…
    What am I doing here?

7. Dominic White says:

Anyone who has a Wii owes it to themselves to forget they ever saw this trailer, and just get Sin & Punishment 2, which is the best on-rails shooter ever made. Yes, better than Starfox 64.

Seriously, that trailer just looks bad.

• Hatsworth says:

They could also download Sin and Punishment 1 which was never released in the west previously.

• Bhazor says:

Well I still prefer Panzer Dragoon Orta but Sin and Punishment 1&2 are grand as well.

8. simonh says:

I suppose it should make sense that when doing a remake of a 30 year old game, it’s okay that the new one looks about 8 years old?

9. Matt says:

The actual gameplay footage in that game looks decent, but the reimagined world is still total garbage.

I think I’ll just go play Rez HD again.

10. fuggles says:

You guys are all mean, didn’t you hear that it contains memorable characters?

11. JayeRandom says:

They namechecked Hayao Miyazaki, but I think what they really meant was Masamune Shirow.

• Rob Hale says:

I’m actually starting to get tired of games ripping off Ghost in the Shell now. Especially when they insist on ripping off the anime and are oblivious to the Manga.

12. terry says:

I always thought Qotile sounded vaguely unsavoury.

13. silverhammermba says:

What’s the point of calling it Yar’s Revenge anyway?

The original had such rudimentary mechanics that there’s no way to reimagine it for a modern audience without completely changing the gameplay – so there can’t be a connection there. And I’d be willing to bet that this game’s core audience know nothing about the atari game, so they aren’t even getting name recognition.

14. Davey Jones says:

Have they completely forgotten why the original game was fun? It was a never-ending, mildly psychedelic boss fight, balancing between shooting and dodging that damn little glowy bar of death. It was fun because of the risks presented, and the simplicity of it all. Most importantly, it worked. This remake is crap. They could have cashed in and gave me my retro remake with enough bloom lighting to kill a horse and more pixelly particle effects than you can count. But they didn’t, and for this, they deserve to die.

15. Tetragrammaton says:

“Anime-inspired shooter, with a touch of Avatar”

And with that, I made good my escape.

16. pipman3000 says:

this is stupid. there’s not a single pirate in this game.

17. Phydaux says:

Yar’s Revenge used to scare the shit out of me as a kid. The first levels are ok, you get a warning that the saw blade of death is going to shoot at you, but later there is no warning. You’re so close, nibbling at the shield to charge/create your missile, that you need the reflexes of a jedi to dodge that blade when it comes.

I’ll never play this new Yar’s Revenge, my memories of the old are far too good to ruin with a mediocre game like this.