Dungeon Siege III Out May 27th

By Quintin Smith on February 4th, 2011 at 10:23 am.

'Back to back we must fight these restless photoshop effects!'

Dungeon Siege III or, to use its full title, Dungeon Siege III: The Battle of Lens F’lare has had its release dates confirmed. It’ll be arriving in Europe on May 27th and North America on May 31st, and Americans can also browse their choice of pre-order bonuses here. A summer release, then. I can see us now- windows open, trousers off, a glass of something ice-cold, calorific and toxic-coloured in our free hand and… wait. Dungeon Siege III is an action game, isn’t it? It’ll require two hands to play! Failed. In mourning I’ve posted the original Dungeon Siege theme after the jump. Bet you’ll find it more stirring than you expect.

Yeah! By the way, if you haven’t read our own Richard Cobbett’s impressions of Dungeon Siege III yet, that is literally an option you have right now.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Njordsk says:

Dungeon Siege III: The Battle of Lens F’lare

ROFL

• RaytraceRat says:

wow, thats a lot of light in the dungeon…

• Chunga says:

They’re still in the 1950′s. We need multicoating, boys!

• DarkFenix says:

Not Dungeon Siege III: The Battle for Len’s Flares?

• Bhazor says:

They don’t need to fight for them as there is clearly enough for everyone.

• sneetch says:

I’m always amazed at the effort they put in to reproduce lens flare, which is I believe a generally unwanted and undesirable effect for most camera operators.

• FriendlyFire says:

Lens flares are byproducts of cameras; whether they are unwanted or not is a matter of preference for the director. See JJ Abrams and Star Trek.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I actually thought that screenshot was a joke.

• RegisteredUser says:

I was clicking on this to comment: “For a dungeon, that’s pretty frickin’ blindingly bright”, but I was extremely happy to find that post nr 1 has once more come to the rescue.

I love you all! (except those that support games or game mechanics that I dislike or disapprove of)

P.S. Turns out Firefox 3.x does not get the alt-text mouseover stuff in all RPS posts. I now sadface.

2. Choca says:

Played it yesterday. Looks great (which is surprising for an Obsidian game). Gameplay seems a little generic but fun. Can’t wait to try the coop and the other classes.

• Njordsk says:

Does it have the “dungeon siege” feeling? Can’t describe it much, but both had something similar. And I liked them a lot.

• Choca says:

I only played the first hour of gameplay so I can’t really say anything about that but I was surprised in a good way.

3. cliffski says:

So you can only get those things by buying from a specific store? To have them all you need to buy 4 copies? or am I missing something?

• Quintin Smith says:

You’re not missing anything, and this is becoming more and more common. On the plus side, in this instance it all looks like really uninteresting stuff.

• sneetch says:

The Steam pre-order is Dungeon Siege I and II so I’d say that’s pretty good (they’re fun and worth the extra few quid if you don’t already own them).

4. Colthor says:

Straws, Quinns. Panic over!

5. zergrush says:

I take it the game takes place before the invention of lens filters then.

6. fallingmagpie says:

You can play Atomic Zombie Smasher with a beer in one hand. I also like to play it in my pants.

7. Bhazor says:

I hadn’t heard much about this game so I did a quick google for Obsidian Dungeon Siege and found this.

Hmmm “Creative Lead George Ziets (Dungeon Siege 3)”. Why does that sound familiar?

Oh my, that is a nice thing to read. I am happy about this development

• Lars Westergren says:

Yeah, information about this has been sparse so far, but what little has leaked out has been really good. I hope this will finally be the Obsidian game that not only has fantastic writing, but is also technically excellent.

• Okami says:

Mask of the Betrayer was the best traditional party based crpg campaign of the last decade, so I don’t really see why you’re saying “Oh my”. Sure the balancing was off, the core system of spirit hunger was a bit broken and it had bugs, but when it came to story, characters and setting it stood heads and shoulders above anything Bioware have come up with since Baldur’s Gate 2: The Throne of Baal (or Bahl or Baahl or whatever).

(Note: This is purely my personal opinion and reflects my tastes in regards to fantasy CRPG. I don’t lay claim to any universal truth and do not want to discredit or devalue the opinion, character and lifestyle of people who may have different tastes in respect to said genre.)

• Bhazor says:

That was a good kind of Oh my. I’ve gone back and changed it now. Happy now?

8. Lars Westergren says:

>a glass of something ice-cold, calorific and toxic-coloured in our free hand and… wait. Dungeon Siege III is an action game, isn’t it? It’ll require two hands to play!

Heck, if this guy can play Fallout: New Vegas with nothing but his chin, we should be able to come up with a way to play DS3 and quaff beverages simultaneously.

9. godgoo says:

I clicked on the video, it played in it’s entirety with just the game logo on the screen and I thought it was some kind of opposite version of subliminal advertising where you’re tricked into staring at the product name for an unfeasibly long period of time .

Then I stopped it and saw the title as my mouse hovered over (I have no speakers).

I actually LOL’d… proof that I only need my own stupidity as entertainment.

• Bhazor says:

You are in the right place then. The Mechwarrior 2 is still one of the funniest dumbest stories I’ve ever heard. Just the thought of a 7 year old in tears being forced to play a computer game still cracks me up.

• adonf says:

Wait, you can move diagonally in Civilization ?

• Oneironaut says:

I’ve had some stupid moments while gaming. I played the Starcraft demo with my brother and dad over LAN. None of us had ever played a strategy game before so we didn’t know what all the buttons were for.
      We did manage to find the “Build SCV” button, so that was all we used. We would have a few gathering minerals and the rest would be our combat SCVs. We would send them into each other’s bases trying to destroy the Command Center. After a few days of this my Dad finally figured out how to make marines and wiped us out.

• DOLBYdigital says:

My silly gaming moment:
      When I was like 5 or 6, playing Leisure Suit Larry on my dad’s Macintosh, I was never able to make it past the prostitute. It took me forever to first realize I had to type ‘put condom on’ before having sex with her. Then I would often forget to type ‘put clothes on’ after having sex with her. Finally after remembering all those steps, I always wondered why the cops would still chase me and call me a perv… I thought they just knew I had sex with a prostitute but finally realized I never typed ‘take condom off’ after having sex with her….. good times learning wonderful things as a kid :)

10. Oneironaut says:

“Steam:
    Players who prepurchase DUNGEON SIEGE III will get three games for the price of one, as Valve will offer single-player versions of both DUNGEON SIEGE I and DUNGEON SIEGE II as free downloads for PC platforms.”

Now I’m definitely preordering. Who cares if DS3 ends up being horrible, I’ll have plenty of fun with the first two. I do hope it comes with expansions, as I’ve only ever played the base games.

11. Gundrea says:

Unfortunately when I tried to print one for you the game crashed. Good storyline though!

12. Pantsman says:

The theme was the best part of the original. Too bad it was the only worthwhile part. I had been quite looking forward to the game too. :(

13. Freud says:

Oh shinies! Let’s just get my credit card out.

Wasn’t this the same release dates as Alpha Protocol? Does vacation start at Obsidian June 1st? Patch, my ass?

• NotGodot says:

Honestly I doubt that there was a single day that WASN’T an Alpha Protocol release date at one point.

But it’s not really fair to slam them for the patch issue. Patching is the publisher’s decision and when it doesn’t happen it’s usually because the publisher is too cheap to shell out the coinage.

14. malkav11 says:

So, a quick rundown of preorder bonuses:
    Gamestop: two completely unnecessary ingame items.
    Amazon: one completely unnecessary ingame item.
    Best Buy: one completely unnecessary ingame item.
    Walmart: a comic that will undoubtedly have terrible writing and mediocre-at-best art, and a truncated strategy guide you probably won’t need to begin with.

Steam: two entire additional games with another couple of entire games worth of high quality modding action.

Hmm. Such a difficult choice.

Edit: “Single-player versions”. What? But…both games had multiplayer. Are they really making a whole new version of the game just to turn off multiplayer?

• Bhazor says:

More likely the servers have been taken down. Anyone got the originals to check?