Reavers Ain’t Men: PlanetSide Next Model

By John Walker on February 4th, 2011 at 6:08 pm.

A ship, in the sky, yesterday.

Oh, go on, you’ve earned it. Have another shot of PlanetSide: Next, this time the Reaver. It’s only the third image that’s been seen of the game so far, after the tank from a couple of weeks back, and the Galaxy which I’ve put below. You can see the fullsize version of the Reaver over on PlanetSide Universe, who exclusively got hold of it.

Click on that to see it bigger. Hopefully we’ll have some more substantial PS:N news soon.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Crimsoneer says:

GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE OR DEATH.

Or a long wait, I suspect…

2. Antsy says:

Splendid! I wonder if they’ll stop short of adding the mechs. I really didn’t enjoy the game when they came in and threw the balance out the window.

• Robert 089 says:

Already confirmed that the BFRs (mechs) won’t be in the game!

Crimsoneer says:

I find that kind of a shame actually – there’s no reason they can’t work if properly balanced. Hell, I’d love to fight in a three man mech. TRANSFORMERS!

• Rotekian says:

Or they could add the mechs and actually balance them so that they made sense.

Although in my experiences of planetside I rarely had to dealt with mechs. Either I was playing away from the main action where they cropped up or I was more focused on engineering and other support activities that didn’t require me to directly engage. I think the most annoying experiences I had involving them was being shot down a lot by anti-air mechs. Then again the anti-air power armour was pretty annoying as well.

• TalonofElysia says:

I only got into combat with BFRs, when I was riding the turret of an allied BFR, you know, the bigger version that can’t jump or whatever they did. Someone would call for a gunner, I’d normally be the first one there. Other than that, I was in a Magrider, swooping through enemy ranks and nailing hostiles with that big-ass cannon.

God I miss those days.

• The Pink Ninja says:

I don’t think yo could balance the mechs. Even f you made them rare they’d still e a super-nit compared to the rest of thr rock-paper-siccors of the other units

• Sardaukar says:

The BFR’s are deathtraps these days. They’re very good fire support in an existing combat group- nothing holds the line like a crouched gunner variant- but with orbital strikes, fury ATVs, and modern tactics (like dropping five troops on top of one with a Phantasm to EMP and Decimator it), they go down very, very fast without help.

3. Nemon says:

That is indeed very sexy, and we’re still men. We’re just more inclined to run off mid battle and load up moar rockets we can fire from a safe and useless distance.

4. PleasingFungus says:

“Tris: 0″

I somehow doubt that.

5. RoXoR says:

big pimpin’

6. SpinalJack says:

Somehow the lighting and focus on that model makes it look like a close shot of a tiny toy plane instead of a life size plane

• bill says:

they should do the whole game like that. Playing an airfix war would be different.

Napalm Sushi says:

Is that gunship being flown by an AI, Stand Alone Complex style, or is it just haunted?

I’d be excited to see gunship haunting as a game mechanic.

El_MUERkO says:

The Halibuts are back in Planetside, there’s only one server so we’re on it, Fear the Fish you Vanu and Terran scum for you are going to need a bigger boat!

• PureUncut says:

I would say to ‘fear the fish’ but we’re actually pretty terrible at this.

• Sobric says:

I heard you guys are actually pretty good.

Really good looking people too.

And rich.

9. banski83 says:

Looking forward to this.

Loved PlanetSide, wish there were more MMOFPS games like it, with a team/squad structure, and the co-operative play that just comes naturally to the game.

10. coldvvvave says:

Suddenly, Firefly reference.

• DrazharLn says:

Shiny.

• RegisteredUser says:

Hands up everyone who went “WHAT FIREFLY WHERE PLZ GIEV MOAR” upon reading “Reavers” and then went all sadface when it turned out it wasn’t a post about something Fireflyish returning for the betterment of mankind.

• Mut says:

* Raises hand *

11. Eschatos says:

That looks a lot more like a Mosquito than a Reaver. The lack of missile pods and the similarity of models to the current Mosquito makes me quite certain. Reavers have much bigger wings.

• omicron1 says:

At least it doesn’t look like a giant metal squid. That would be entirely too much reference-density for this reader.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

Indeed, where are the rockets? Loved to fly these and hunt down (unguarded) ants and spawn stations (forgot the name)!

Hope they make the flight controls the same, where moving the camera wasn’t the same as moving the aircraft. Though the physics could be a bit more realistic, the lack of inertia was slightly awkward.

Also, it looks like a 2 seater with rotary turret?

• The Great Wayne says:

I concur, this is either a mosquito or a very weird remake of the reaver.

• tungstenHead says:

Yeah, it does look a lot more like a mossie than a reaver, but it’s a tandem two-seater which makes a lot more sense for a gunship than a scout craft. Perplexing!

On the upside, a two-seater gunship would be very pleasing. The Liberator and Galaxy were a lot of fun to gun in, but without forward facing weapons systems for the gunners, the innate teamwork wasn’t quite as wonderful as it could be.

• Davee says:

Personally, I’d love to see a two-seated Reaver like this pic seems to show – Pilot having control of rockets/Missiles/whatever and a gunner underneath, picking off infantry. Would promote more team play, as well as re-balance it a bit (it feels too much like a tank with wings in PS right now).

• Sardaukar says:

I assume the flaps with “143” printed on either side of the cockpit are the rocket pods.

12. mkultra says:

Wow. The moment I’ve been waiting for has finally arrived.

13. DrGonzo says:

PSN doesn’t seem like the wisest abbreviation. Likely to get muddled up with a certain other PSN that I hear is becoming quite popular.

14. Tei says:

To be honest, I never played Planetside in his glorious days. I have played it after everyone left, and was (is) still a great game with massive battles. What happened? the tecnology to make a game this epic got lost? is something in the water that make programmers more idiot, so can’t rewrite again a game as epic as planetside? whatever.

Graphics update, whate everybody is asking for. I just hope one thing: people return, now that I know the epicness of battles with 100 players on every side, I want to test how feel battles with 200 or 300.

Also, I hate these red and pink factions.

Napalm Sushi says:

Money, dear boy. And a lack of understanding of both ecomics and evolution.

Since publishers have seen the obscene success of WoW, they’ve seen attempting to copy it as “jumping on the bandwagon” rather than the reality, which is that they’re trying to muscle in on a niche that’s already been completely filled by a single, highly visible, monopolising product.

One day, this reality will hopefully dawn on them, and your (and my) wish will be fulfilled.

• Tasolth says:

Pink…. *EHEM* … It’s purple, black, and teal my good sir. We are the Vanu ! But really, can’t wait for some TR and Vanu renders. I really wonder what they are going to do for us.

• The Great Wayne says:

What’s funny is that I’m even ready to fall to heavy lasher spamming, if it means playing proper Planetside again.

Arh, stomping onto TR scums with a scatter MAX… good ol’ time.

15. lumberjack_wannabe says:

This is such a tease…

In other news, does anyone know if they’ll attempt F2P with this or do a full blown re-release?

• Davee says:

I think they were going for an F2P model, but I’m not sure. I wouldn’t mind either way – it’s either more players or less micro-transactions :)

16. Rei Onryou says:

Want Planetside now! Seriously considering subbing to PS, but there’s too many little things that annoy me. I hope they fix them all for Next!

17. Adekan says:

Such an excellent game. I have been waiting far too long for them to make an updated one. Honestly, I never took issue with the giant stompy robots. I suspect people simply didn’t realize they had a weak point right between the legs. And in the game.

18. liance says:

For a moment, I thought we were looking at a Firefly MMO, and my heart stopped. And then I read on.

Curse you and your misleading titles, Mr. Walker!

19. Davie says:

I read the headline and just for a second it was an announcement of a Firefly game. Then I cried.
    (…and ninja’d. You are evil, evil people.)

20. Dave says:

Our Purple lasher n00bs will blot out the sun.

21. bill says:

While i’m sure this’ll be bug on launch, it seems like they need a lower subscription for this kind of game. It’s a little competing with TF2 and every other online shooter, and without the heavy character building and quest elements of a MMORPG the asking price seems a little high.

I always wanted to try planetside (though i thought it had finished years ago) but the monthly fee seemed too much to me. (plus i heard there were lots of balance/cheat problems – so i hope they sort those out for this)

• bill says:

big not bug.

• geldonyetich says:

Up until DC universe Online, SOE was on a pretty good F2P kick there. Not sure what’s going on with that, worked great for Turbine.

Pesky Reavers, one of my least favorite vehicles to have to deal with in Planetside.

22. The Pink Ninja says:

I think I’m most loking forward to playing in the RPS Guild

Get us Beta invites guys D:

• Davee says:

There’s no such thing as a “guild” here! Out with you, shoo! We only have Outfits in PS!

But aye, I would be ever-grateful if you could fix some Beta Keys for us, oh mighty RPS hive mind!

23. Sardaukar says:

I’m not really sure how to react to this picture.

Do I feel glee, that the two-seat nature of the Reaver will drastically cut down on the number of them swarming over my ground warfare?

Or do I feel terror, because now they’re going to have a turret gun with a dedicated operator?

24. Zachg56 says:

I’m having a very hard time not hyperventilating due to how AWESOME that render is