Revenge Of The Titans Overhauled, Demo

By Jim Rossignol on February 5th, 2011 at 12:51 pm.

Last summer, when I originally played the beta version of Puppy Games’ charming tower defence game, Revenge Of The Titans, I had some thoughts on the game. it wasn’t finished, of course, but I had no idea that Puppy Games would go on to address all of my criticisms and then go much further. The latest version of the game (of which there is a demo, or a full version for those who have pre-ordered) radically overhauls the game, revamping refinery collection and turret reloading, and other stuff too. Research is now free, removing the game’s original cash system, which had players backing into a hole if they messed up a level. In conclusion: a rather different game, which much the same appeal. Why not try it out?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. mlaskus says:

Oooh, I bought this a few months ago and quite liked it but the cash system was infuriating me. I’m going to give this another go.
    By the way, their other game, a Spave Invaders inspired thingy is also quite great, if a bit simpler.

• Bennus says:

Same, fretting over how stingey you can be with your defences makes it tense, but ultimately not that fun. Hopefully this should fix that.

• ANeM says:

@ Bennus
      It doesn’t. The removal of research fees (and manual gathering) is balanced out by the fact that refineries are less effective, almost disgustingly so, taking over 6 minutes just to pay off their own initial cost.

However, money still carries over from mission to mission, all the new changes guarantee is that you’ll not have to skip research due to low funds.

Additionally, there is a fairly large randomness factor. Not only in the map layouts, but also in the money drops. I replayed level 3 seven times with the exact same setup and map and my ending funds varied by over 700. (setup was 3 turrets, 2 refineries. 6/7 tries were pristine, oddly enough the non-pristine one was not the lowest, regardless of lost medal funds.)

It feels like over the course of a campaign that bad luck could add up.

• Veracity says:

They have three other games (Space Invaders, Robotron and Paradroid, all with mouse control), currently available from their site together for about a fiver – don’t know if there’s an expiry date on that. They’re all at least quite good, though Titan Attacks has some nasty difficulty spikes and a potentially irritating upgrading thing, and Ultratron appears to have some sort of dynamic difficulty that I haven’t quite worked out to know if I think it’s ok.

Unfortunately didn’t like Revenge of the Titans at all apart from the shinies and the briefing bloke, but I never seem to like tower defence, so that’s probably to be expected. Not sure why. Can’t be that it’s mindless, considering I like Puzzle Quest and Torchlight.

2. Kid_A says:

And it should probably be mentioned that everyone who got the Humbler Indie Bundle gets this update as well. Follow the link they emailed you and the new version is on their servers now.

• Hikkikomori says:

I don’t think it is, for Windows at least. Am i doing something wrong, maybe?

• The Hammer says:

I was just about to ask that!

• SpinalJack says:

You just need to wait until the servers are updated, you should get an in-game message when it’s ready. You can of course download the demo version and play that while you wait

• Jonathan says:

@Hikkikomori

I downloaded the updated version from HIB last night. The filename should end in “HIB18.exe” — it’s version 1.8.

• Bennus says:

The in-game notification says version 1.81 ‘changes everything’…

• Hikkikomori says:

I downloaded and installed 1.8 from the Humble bundle page, assuming it was the latest one, but when i got in the game, a message said to go get the latest 1.80.1. So a bit confused.

Thanks to all for the help though. :)

• Jonathan says:

Ah — my mistake. I must admit I didn’t actually play it — I just saw there’d been an update and figured I’d go get it.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

The Hundle distribution method has been known to be somewhat slow at updating the files.

• Spooner says:

As far as I can tell, 1.80 is the update that actually “changes everything” and is currently on the Humble bundle page as “HIB18″ (this was released on Tuesday). 1.80.1 was released today, but may take a while to filter to the Humble download page.

EDIT: Yay, 1.80.1 seems to have just appeared on the Humble downloads page.

3. Centy says:

I’ll give it a go when Desura decides to update it.

4. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Really, there is no excuse for anyone who regularly reads RPS not to own this game already.

Eventually its supposedly going to activate on steam. steam DRM comments go!

• bill says:

is there an excuse for not being sure if i own it or not – but having not played it either way?
      i think i got it in the bundle.. but i’m still playing the first bundle..

5. Jajusha says:

Im enjoying the new gameplay imensely. Before it, the click fest was too much for me to handle properly, now, its more brains less clicks, great!

• Hatsworth says:

I like clicking.

• amandachen says:

Yeah, the clicking wasn’t so much fun. But at least it made the game distinctive (okay, in a plants vs zombies kinda way). Maybe that could have been tweaked a little, because the game feels a bit bland now without it.

The game needs a little something to make it different to all the other TD games. At the moment, it’s relying on the cool graphical style.

I know the games not finished, but there’s a couple of things that get on my tits. There’s an early level where I need to pan the screen because there’s an extra 70 or 80 pixels to the level. Why? That could have fitted on one screen. Panning and scrolling the larger levels is annoying too. There’s some sort of scale problem with the game – I want things to fit on one screen without being too teeny to see.

6. Vinraith says:

Hmm, I really liked the cash system, it made every turret placement have real strategic weight. I’ve not played the new version, but I’m a bit concerned that they’ve removed one of the most unique and enjoyable things about the game for me.

• Napalm Sushi says:

I think you missunderstand: you still pay cash for turrets, but research is now free. To balance this, a large number of new research options and prerequisites have been added. This means that your choice of what to build and what to research is now separate, thus helping to avert the old “backed into a corner” syndrome.

• Vinraith says:

No, I understood. What I’m saying is that I enjoyed the connection between what you built on the battlefield and what you could research. Good strategy games require hard choices, and hard choices mean sometimes you get backed into a corner and lose.

• Tatourmi says:

I agree with you. That was actually the whole genius about that game: putting you in a long term war, as opposed to a simple succession of battles, against an incredibly difficult enemy, where every single coin was worth fighting for. Get backed in a corner, get grumpy, lose, go back in time and do some different choices. I loved that feeling. I think that I am going to keep the old version. (and ask for a switch between those two modes). Without that mechanism revenge of the titans is just another bland (yet beautiful) tower defense

• Sassenach says:

For me the problem with the cash system was not that you could make bad choices that forced you to revert to an earlier save, but that it took a relatively long time for the consequences of your decision to become apparent. Furtermore the descriptions of the various technologies didn’t always give you the best idea of their use. That said, I never found it a problem myself.

What was somewhat concerning was that stacking up as many super-powerful turrets as you could fit on four of each enhancing structure right next to your base was the best way to play every level, and thus it got a bit samey.

• Scilantius says:

Same here,… the “research stuff/build turrets” dillema was quite central to the game – it made the campaign actually feel like a campaign for me. And of course, since I absolutely MUST research as much as possible (due to the fear of not having enough technology), I was always low on cash for the turrets, but somehow, usually won either way. Well,… until Saturn at least :P

Oh, and I should also point out that I have not yet tried the new version myself,… so maybe it is actually Revenge of the Titans distilled into pure awesome,… I’ll still root for an option or something that brings back the old behaviour. Or, well, keep the old installer :P

• Napalm Sushi says:

I prefer it this way, because it’s now possible for Cas to actually balance the game. Before, one of two possibilities would unfold as you progressed: you’d either fall into a negative feedback loop, get stuck, and have to backtrack, or you’d pass a point of positive feedback beyond which you were practically invincible.

Cash still carries between missions, so you can still get yourself stuck if you’re too carefree in battle and ignore the new cash-infusion research upgrades; you’re just no longer kept from realising this until half a dozen levels too late.

• caesarbear says:

Whether you call it a feature or a bug (i hate it personally) the new version doesn’t change the fact that you can lose the game without actually realizing it. Unless you’ve played the game to completion before, things are still a mystery and choosing the wrong options or not recognizing your tower inefficiency will mean you fail in the future.

The entire game feels like an example of failed attempts at adding new styles of gameplay to a rote genre. The Titan’s intelligence in movement, roads, generated maps, research, campaign carry-over, etc, all of it fails to make a better game.

7. Navagon says:

Nice! I bought that pack from their site. So I take it I just redownload it from there and the same login details work?

8. RaytraceRat says:

Just had a go with a demo, really enjoying it.

9. pupsikaso says:

“Why not try it out?”

Hm, well for starters it’s still tower defence.

10. liq3 says:

I’ve played this up to the first boss, twice, with different research strategies. Both times I simply couldn’t beat a level (ok I could go easier but bleh!). This is goddamn insanely hard now.

• princec says:

I’m going to record a video play through up to the Moon to show those floundering how it’s done.

• Tatourmi says:

And it gets harder later on, yayness of masochism!

• Wilson says:

Isn’t the game meant to be difficult? Like, so that it will get easier after you fail a level a few times. I got the impression from the blog that they were expecting people to need the difficulty to drop at some points in the campaign. I think in the latest patch they just added an option for players to not drop the difficulty after losing a level, but that wasn’t in by default.

11. Agrona says:

Anyone happen to know if the download link from the Humble Indie Bundle page is the latest version of this?

[Edit] – I am terrible at reading, I apologize. Yay!

12. Kakrafoon says:

I will definitely buy this if it can be obtained through Steam, because owning Indie games is much easier that way. I bought Gratuitious Space Battles from the developer and ended up buying it again for Steam when it was on special sale just to add it to my library there.

13. passingstranger says:

After finally trying this, I am thoroughly embarrassed. This game has made a fool of me. I could really go for a stronger tutorial system or a weaker “destroy me and laugh” system.

14. GallonOfAlan says:

If you intend playing on the laptop, check the demo first as I had huge problems with it on an integrated soundcard.

• princec says:

I’m hoping – and it’s a big hope because we’ve had endless problems with it – the very latest 1.80.2 version I just uploaded has working sound everywhere.

15. Kakrafoon says:

Oh blast. I bought it and stayed up until 4 to play, then went and started a new career because my research was bad. It’s one of the best TD games I have ever played. The only thing I find mildly frustrating is: Scanners are too expensive at 1000 (every other turret add-on only costs 500 or less), and I don’t like those “they’re coming from all sides” levels.

16. dawnmane says:

I downloaded the demo installer when I saw this post, and then forgot to install it. Which I shouldn’t have, because now I finally got it installed, and I should have been playing this for weeks now! I really love the atmosphere of the near end of the human race combined with these gameboy-esque aliens (who imho are actually rather scary).