The RPS Bargain Bucket: 90210

By Lewie Procter on February 5th, 2011 at 4:31 pm.

It seems like there was a bit of a lull at the various digital distribution outlets in the post-Christmas period, as they all took a rest from the mega bargains. Your wallets respite is over now though. As we enter February, some proper deals are kicking off. Read on to find this week’s highlights, and be sure to check out SavyGamer.co.uk whenever you want to know what games are cheap.

King Arthur: The Role-playing Wargame – £2.24/€2.99/$2.99
Also available is The Saxons expansion for £1.05/€1.35/$1.49 or the Complete Edition for £8.99/€11.69/$11.99 which includes The Saxons and the recently released The Druids expansion.
Jim seemed to quite like this when he told use wot he thought:

At the broadest level, King Arthur looks like a Total War game set in a fantasy universe. The action steps between a turn-based map of Britain, and real-time battlefield strategy maps in which you control your units from an omniscient camera in the sky. So far, so Medieval, but this is very much its own game: the field of battle is littered with fantasy units – translucent alien elf-things, giants, ludicrously armoured warriors, and generals who look like a cross between Sauron in armoured form, and a Power Ranger. There’s also an arsenal of magic spells to be accessed via an RPG-lite levelling up of your knights.

RPS coverage here.

Apogee Bundle – £9.28/€11/$14.95
Includes (and individual pricing):
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold – £2.97/€3.53/$4.79
Blake Stone: Planet Strike – £2.97/€3.53/$4.79
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition – £2.97/€3.53/$4.79
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project – £2.97/€3.53/$4.79
Rise of the Triad: Dark War – £2.97/€3.53/$4.79
Oh hey, I’ve played DN3D. Last time I played it wasn’t too long ago, I remember being surprised at how well it still held up. Who knows how DNF will compare to it? I’d hazard a guess that you won’t get people talking about how it still holds up 15 years after it comes out, but perhaps it will be a good silly FPS like DN3D was. I’ve not played the rest, so you’re on your own for them as usual.

Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising – £3.10/€3.68/$5
This is a US only offer, however it seems that THQ’s definition of a US citizen is “someone who can enter a US address on a webform”, and by entering a fake address and paying by Paypal, I was able to access these deals. Since you just get a code to plug into Steam, once you’ve got that, you’re fine. Dawn of War 2 is also down to £4.67/€5.52/$7.50, it just seemed like the expansion at that price was the better headline deal.

Darksiders – £6.21/€7.36/$10
Same deal as Dawn of War, stick in a fake USA address and pay via Paypal if you want to access this deal from outside of the States. This registers on Steam too. I played this on the funbox 360, and though it was pretty genuinely horrible. It’s a flabby hodgepodge of ideas from games you’ve probably already played, patronising unskippable tutorials, and ugly looking everything. It does contain a lot of wandering about at a very slow pace, so if you’re into that sort of thing, give this a go. Some people enjoyed it, but I’d say you’d be better off with probably any of the Zelda games. (NO ONE IS BETTER OFF WITH ZELDA GAMES, FUCKING FAIRIES – Jim.)

Deal of the week
AI War: Fleet Command – £3.38/€4.74/$6.78
Also on sale are:
The Zenith Remnant – £2.70/€3.04/$3.38
Children of Neinzul – £1.01/€1.01/$1.47
Not only are these clever strategy strategy games for nerds that like clever strategy games, but they also have probably the best DRM set up I’ve seen. Stop me if I’m wrong (because it’s hard remembering everything), but I think you get a DRM free version from GamersGate, but the same serial used to activate that can be used to activate the game on Steam, or indeed on the version downloaded direct from Arcen. If you do opt to add it to Steam, it doesn’t even use Steam as DRM, so you can run the Steam installed version without even having Steam running if you like. AI war has just had a major update and new expansion too. RPS coverage here, and demo here.

Also of note:
Metro 2033 – £6.21/€7.36/$10 (same deal as DoW2 and Darksiders, this is “USA Only”)
King’s Bounty: Platinum Edition – £8.99/€8.99/$10.49
Overlord 2 – £2/€2.49/$4
Clover: A Curious Tale – £2.99/€3.49/$4.96
VVVVVV – £2.99/€3.99/$3.49
Get Games indie sale

Remember to check SavyGamer.co.uk to get a dose of cheap gaming across all platforms.

1. limbclock says:

The latest bucket banner brings glory to the republic.

• Kollega says:

Speaking of the glorious revolutionary bucket… is that something made specially for RPS, or found on Google image search? And if so, what did you search for?

• DrazharLn says:

There was an appeal for new BB banners a while ago, I suspect it was designed for that by some cunning RPSer. This isn’t the first time it’s been used either.

Also, thanks be to RPS for this new, improved comment system. It’s actually fine!

• d32 says:

@Kollega:
      The great Tin Eye thinks it’s original.

• rei says:

I had no idea such a wondrous site existed; glad you linked it!

Anyone know if King Arthur comes with the music in some listenable format? I’ve little interest in the game, but I’d consider paying that for the soundtrack.

• Chief Slambo says:

Registered just to note: this banner is a spin on the Wumpscut album; well done to the creator:)

2. trjp says:

I loved Darksiders – it has the genes of Soul Reaver (one of the PS’s best ever games) and is nowhere near as repetitive as a Zelda title – under £10 you’d have to hate action games altogether not to get your money’s-worth…

I think there’s a danger of mixing ‘deals’ with ‘opinion’ here – it’s one thing to tell someone something is cheap, it’s another deciding you’re in a position to tell them whether the deal is worthwhile or not/…

• Deano2099 says:

I find I’m more than capable of ignoring the rest of the text if all I want is the deals. Just only read the lines that start with red text if you’re having trouble.

Personally, it’s part of RPS, innit? A bit of amusing and good writing makes the column a fun read rather than just being a list of links and prices.

• trjp says:

You’re mistaking “amusing writing” for Lewie’s skewed opinion – he does deals and not reviews for a reason y’know ;)

Seriously tho – there’s a massive risk of conflating your experiences and values with other people’s. Reviews which consider ‘value’ are worthless anyway when a game goes from £39.99 to £12.99 to £7 – it’s why reviewers seldom tread on the issue of costs/values of games (unless there’s an obvious parallel).

• Ricc says:

Just deals without opinion would be a lot less valuable to me. I wouldn’t even be able to play all the games that are available for cheap these days. That’s why the bargain bucket fits in well here on RPS. Context matters. :)

• Lambchops says:

Think my comment was eaten but if not apologies for the duplication.

i quite like to see a bit of opinion in there. If nothing else I’ve found on more than one occassion that an impassioned defence of a game in response to a negative appraisal has actual been the tipping point for me buying it, particularly in the bargain threads when it’s quite often worth a punt on games whose quality have been called into question.

• Deano2099 says:

Actually Lewie does some reviewing on his site too and I’ve always quite liked his writing style. Your mileage may vary of course. Plus I find the opinion given in this context can be really interesting. Even if you think it shouldn’t be the case, there are games that would be a rip-off at £20 that are well worth £2.

• DrazharLn says:

I think it’s fine that Lewie says he didn’t like a game, he still pointed out the deal in case you were interested…

To avoid duplication of arguments: I agree with Deano2099

• dr.castle says:

I’m playing Darksiders right now and finding it pretty great. Don’t remember any tutorial sections at all, so I’m not sure what Lewie is on about there, and yes it is most certainly a hodepodge of ideas lifted from other games in the genre…but since when is that such a big problem? It’s a very, very tightly executed hodgepodge. The combat in particular is about as good as it gets in this type of game, both frantic and deep. If you’re into this kind of 3d-brawling-with-a-spot-of-exploration-and-upgrading-and-puzzles game, then this is the next best thing to Arkham Asylum. There’s a reason it has a gamerankings score of ~83%.

The PC version does have two big problems, though. First, absolutely no graphics options. I mean nothing. You can change your resolution, and turn Vsync on and off. That’s it. Seriously. Second, although this game is obviously best played with a controller, like some other recent games it only works with an xbox360 controller. You can get under the hood a bit with 360 controller emulation and make it work, but come on, they really couldn’t be bothered to program in support for non-360 controllers?

• MikoSquiz says:

Apparently that’s usually an XNA thing – here, you can use this free framework to make your PC and Xbo360 cross-compatible game, but it can’t support non-Microsoft controllers, OK? I’d be tempted to just include something like X360CE in the install package and see what Microsoft said to that.

• Collic says:

A friend bought me Dark Siders over christmas, and I must I say I enjoyed it. It’s not amazing, and it rips off practically every game you can think of, but it was a fun enough hack and slash romp.

I played it without issue with a 5 button gaming mouse, which worked fine after some fiddling remapping the controls. I’d advise caution if you don’t have a mouse with at least that many buttons, or a gamepad though. At that price the game is definitely worth a shot, unless you actively hate games like it.

• trjp says:

I’m sticking to the “less opinion and more bargains” thing here – because this

“it was pretty genuinely horrible. It’s a flabby hodgepodge of ideas from games you’ve probably already played, patronising unskippable tutorials, and ugly looking everything”

is not a review – it’s a childish rant I’d expect to find on GameFAQs

RPS is better than it – seriously…

• Kryopsis says:

I personally dislike almost every game that Darksiders borrows from and yet really like Darksiders itself. I am curious how long Lewie played the game to complain about slow wandering around. Not only the game has teleportation but also a rather fast mount. Anyhow, I have no problem with the Bargain Bucket posts containing opinions. It’s not like Lewie is any less qualified to speak his mind than everyone else and it’s not like there weren’t some questionable opinion pieces on RPS in the past (yes, THAT one).

• Deano2099 says:

And I’ll bet that there’s at least one person who, after reading the comments and seeing the positive thoughts there on Darksiders, has now purchased and is enjoying the game. And I bet those people wouldn’t have left those comments had Lewie not slagged it off. Yes, sometimes he’s a bit harsh. To encourage debate.

• DrGonzo says:

Personally I really, really dislike him giving out his opinion. It feels like, “hey, Darksiders is cheap!”, so I go “Ooh, I’ll buy that” to which The Bargain Bucket responds, “You’re a moron.”

• Auspex says:

Put me in the “Liking Lewie’s comments on games” camp. There’s plenty of websites out there that just list deals, I think a similar weekly list here would be totally out-of-place.

• Thants says:

Game-opinion-site posts an opinion on a game. Shocker! Seriously, trjp, this place would be better without people like you who think anyone disagreeing with them is an excuse to slag someone off as unprofessional.

• trjp says:

Hey – I suggested that Lewie’s “less than professional” take on Darksiders (which, amongst other things, suggests he’s not actually played it for more than 10 mins) didn’t belong here – is all…

There’s a danger of mixing value and worth and Lewie doesn’t seem to know the difference.

He’d be better of sticking to pointing people at the opinions of people who do.

• dadioflex says:

Darksiders is a great game. Yes, you have to play with a Xbox 360 controller but once you’ve got that out of the way, there’s a ton of fun to be had.

I think Lewie’s commentary was a bit off this time, but that’s why it is COMMENTary. It isn’t written in stone and the comments under the article have more than defended the game.

If you like Diablo, you’ll like Darksiders, but you will have to use an ungodly controller to do so….

Darksiders was my favourite PC game of last year. There’s very little not to love about it.

• dadioflex says:

@thants – and YOUR opinion on his opinion is so special because…?

Wow. RPS is a money-making enterprise, it isn’t an orphanage or a hospital. People put up articles so that other people will read them. The existence of the site is predicated on visitors clicking through on the ads. This isn’t a charity, and it isn’t a social experiment. This is a business. They provide professional opinion, we, as a group, click on ads.

Just… wow. Stupid people are stupid.

• DrugCrazed says:

I’ll chip in my 2 cents, both about Lewie and Darksiders

Darksiders isn’t a bad game. I didn’t hate it, but didn’t think it was brilliant. If I were shameless I’d tell you to read my review, which I am so go read it. The comment that stuck out to me was that it is apparently better on PC, but needs a controller.

On Lewie: Yes, he should give his opinion. He’s allowed to say “I didn’t like this”, and it makes it mean something.

• Thants says:

I haven’t played Darksiders, so I don’t know how accurate his opinion is. But surely, it’s best to explain why you disagree with a review? Instead of jumping right to insults and what seems like inventing reasons that the person shouldn’t be allowed to express their opinion at all. I could be wrong, I’ve just never even considered that people would want the Bargain Bucket to remain pure and free of any opinion.

I could understand complaints if he refused to even mention that games he doesn’t like are on sale. But this is a bit too close to “I don’t agree with his opinion, so he shouldn’t be allowed to say it”.

3. SquareWheel says:

I didn’t like the demo of AI War, but good on those guys for having such an excellent DRM scheme.

• dadioflex says:

Sadly, a LOT of people didn’t like the demo of AI War. It’s a vigorously niche game with few redeeming qualities. Some people will tell you it’s great but… it really isn’t. Shave a few points off the game design and they could have had a hit, but they wanted to be true to their vision. Their awful, flawed, vision…

4. Mr Chug says:

AI War’s tutorial is the most off-putting thing about it; once you’ve got the movement and camera down, hop in a game with some friends and just try it out.

All the Railworks 2 DLC is 78% off on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7282/). That’s a bargain at £150 (!!!)

• dadioflex says:

No. AI War’s game is the most off-putting thing about it. If you survive the tutorial, you almost always know there is something else you’d rather be doing.

Blah blah worthy blah blah is all you’ll hear from people who bought it, played it and never wanted to go back.

5. Hunam says:

It’s also worth pointing out that the PC version of Darksiders has next to no graphics options. You get v-sync and resolution and you can be bloody well happy with it. It runs like shit on my pc though. So bleh to it.

• Starky says:

Not uncommon for console ports…

That said, it runs like silk on my machine at 1920×1080 a 3Ghz Q6600 Quad core, ATI Radeon 5770, and 4Gb of DDR2-800 and windows 7 64.
      Solid 60fps, no slow down except in a few crazy instances (usually involving many particle effects).

6. trooperdx3117 says:

My god that Dawn of war 2 deal is fantastic, feels like fraud though but who cares its THQ’s fault for not making an offer like that international

• trjp says:

Choose the address of a Police Station so that when THQ go all ‘Activision’ and send someone around they’ll get a shock! :)

• TeraTelnet says:

I tend to use 1060 West Addison, Chicago in true Blues Brothers fashion. :)

• trjp says:

Isn’t the 1060 West Addison Joke in Ferris Bueller as well?? Either way, superb choice…

• bascule42 says:

Henry Krinkle
      154 Hopper Avenue
      Fair Lawn
      New Jersey

• Carra says:

Bah, THQ should be happy. They’re getting even more money.

Heck, they got my $5 where otherwise they’d never get it.

• Rich says:

My order has just been cancelled and I’ve just been refunded. Obviously they’ve got wise.
      Thing is, it’s still in my Steam account. I don’t mind too much if they get Valve to pull it from my account, but I sure hope the whole thing doesn’t get locked.

7. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

do both the dawn of war offers activate on steam? or just chaos rising?

• TeraTelnet says:

It’s worth pointing out, perhaps, that for Metro 2033 you can download a copy from their store and/or plug the serial code into Steam.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

for metro, this is obvious as it uses steamworks, complete with achievements and stuff.

But Metro 2033 is an awesome game, in any case…

8. The Promised Landt says:

The problem with AI Wars DRM is that everyone can enter enter your key into Steam – I bought the game off their website during the last sale, and my key was already registered on Steam. D’oh.

• Morgawr says:

Yep. I bought AI War from Impulse and someone had already registered my key on Steam.

9. Flappybat says:

I liked Darksiders but it started to show it’s seams after a few hours. Nothing really happens, the gameplay doesn’t developer or deepen. I’ve stopped 11 hours into the game and don’t feel like going on. It’s a shame as the setting and polish of the game is high, it’s a long way from genuinely horrible.

• Xocrates says:

Really? I thought that one of Darksiders strengths was that it never got dull. They keep introducing new stuff (even if plenty is fairly useless outside of specific levels/situations) and overall I felt the game had enough variety to make the 16 hours it took me to finish it rather enjoyable.

Darksiders may not be truly great, and may not have an original idea to its name, yet it executes them all well enough that I would not hesitate to recommend it at this price point.

EDIT: Or to put it in perspective, this is a game where you fight Sandworms, while riding a burning horse and firing a revolver the size of your arm, in a desert made with the ashes of mankind.

• mcwizardry says:

I can only second Xocrates recommendation, I really enjoyed my time with Darksiders. Games of its kind don’t come around on the PC platform too often and I found it enjoyable all the way to the last boss.

• fleimur says:

Darksiders is ok for a little bit of mindless demon bashing.
      It may not be the greatest game ever, but it’s decent enough for $10

10. Hodag says:

For the price you really should get Metro 2033. It’s beautiful and the story is awesome.

• jaheira says:

Wot he said. It’s one hell of an FPS.

• Thants says:

It’s proof that linear, corridor FPSs aren’t a bad thing.

• P3RF3CT D3ATH says:

It’s proof that linear games can be done right unlike Call of Duty. There’s just too many scripted events in that game. A guy with a rocket launcher won’t die no matter how much you shoot him because he’s pretty much a script waiting to be activated when you come closer to him.

11. Pathock says:

You forgot the Steam Cyan Complete Pack for $15

• malkav11 says:

Which isn’t actually a complete pack. It omits Myst IV and V. (And III, but III wasn’t Cyan). If it had had those, I’d maybe have been tempted. As is, I don’t have that much interest in owning yet more copies of Myst and Riven.

12. BooleanBob says:

From what I remember from the heady shareware days of my youth, like DN3D, Blake Stone and Rise of the Triads are ray-casting/pseudo-3D FPSs.

Valuable milestones worthy of investigation for anyone interested in the history of the genre (or of the PC shareware scene) in the post-Doom, pre-Quake era.

Both are slightly more po-faced than DN3D, but not especially so, and given how outlandish some of the Duke’s antics have been this really shouldn’t be overstated. Blake Stone is the older of the two and feels like a colourful Doom/Wolf 3d reskin, if a little slower than the former. Rise of the Triad is a genuinely good game, one that I would be surprised to see fail to give modern day gamers that same ‘holds up well’ feeling as Duke 3D. It has more of that game’s verticality and sense of place than Blake Stone/Wolf/Doom’s more labyrinthine, er, mazes. Level design is excellent, with good flow and secrets stuffed out the bahunga. The aesthetic incorporates a lot of elements, mixing in unequal parts gothic, film noir, sleaze, quake-brown hues and self-effacing humour.

Nothing that won’t seem a mite more tacky and ill-judged to your 20-something self than it would have (or did) to your wide-eyed 13yo of yesteryear, but not at all without a charm of its own.

13. Lambchops says:

This Darksider’s malarky is actually tempting me. Though looking back at RPS coverage I see that Jim quit because of a frustrating boss fight early on. Is this sort of thing endemic in the game? If so I don’t think it’s for me. Also how much puzzly Zelda style dungeon action is there or is it more of a mindless hack and slash-a-thon? If it’s got a bit more to it than just bashing things with a sword then I’m probably in.

• Xocrates says:

I think the bosses issue seems to be that they never get stronger while you do. This means that the first bosses are the hardest while everyone else gets increasingly easier. Once you’re past the first boss (second if you count the tutorial) you probably won’t have any big problems.

I didn’t play any zelda games, so I can’t compare, but I can confirm that the game actually has plenty of puzzling/exploration. The game is very much a metroidvania kind of game.

• amandachen says:

Yeah, there’s a lot of exploring. And a lot of backtracking. There was a bug where the game would crash during one of the boss fights (well, the arena fight) and I’m not sure that got fixed. My first playthrough was fine, but my second was bugged and I couldn’t continue.

• Ikkusei says:

I’d advise against it. After slogging through the first few hours of the game I realised I’d just described my experience with it as a ‘slog’. It’s like a fisher price version of all your favourite games – God of War without the showmanship, Zelda without the brains and Metroid without the compelling overworld. A damp squib of a game that attempted to stand on the shoulders of giants, but ended up nestling between their butcheeks before being messily farted across the gaming landscape. Avoid avoid avoid.

• Miker says:

Darksiders’ biggest strength, I think, lies in its Warhammer-ish gothic aesthetic.

I personally found Darksiders extremely repetitive towards the end. The combat is very much one button, and a bit on the shallow side. The subweapons are fairly useless next to your sword, and they level slower because you’ll use them less, which leads to eventually ignoring them.

It doesn’t help that the game just LOVES showing you completely unnecessary cutscenes straight out of the 90s. “Here’s a door — oh wait we’re locking it with a magic seal” Of course, it’s followed by monster spawns, and after you kill them, it shows the obligatory “Oh, looks like you cleared out the monsters. Remember that door from earlier? Oh, hey, it’s unsealed!” After fifteen hours in the game, they’re still showing these “lock-in” cutscenes, and it’s about enough to drive a man mad.

Other thoughts:

- The Shadow Realm parts were utter bullshit. I thought it was just lazy on the part of the devs
      - Later enemies (mini-mini-bosses?) are damage sponges
      - The timing window on the counter is very generous
      - I have no clue why the tunnels between Serpent Holes exist. At all. What a waste of time.
      - The pistol is useless
      - A bit too many “do this X times” — 3 swords, 3 guardian robots, 7 pieces, 4 spiders, 3 beams, etc
      - The Silitha (spider) bossfight was awful
      - The other boss fights were pretty good
      - The portal gun was really inconsistent when firing portals into portals
      - The Panzer Dragoon section was, uh, okay
      - Not a particularly difficult game.
      - So, so many invisible walls you’ll swear it was the 90s all over again

That said, the puzzle design is relatively solid, and I absolutely adore the Warhammer-ish gothic aesthetic. Despite all this, it comes pretty recommended from me — it’s a good game, just not a great one.

• Collic says:

I had the odd bit of boss fight checkpoint frustration, but nothing so annoying it made me stop playing for good. Generally the difficulty seems fairly well pitched although, as others have said, you tend to find the bosses get easier as you become increasingly more powerful.

There is some backtracking, but not too much. How much you end up doing depends on how much of a completionist you are. If you can comfortably ignore scouring old areas for bits of armour and secret areas, there isn’t that much.

• trjp says:

Unless the PC version varies enormously from the 360 version – the bosses are all really well designed and anyone hitting a brick wall either isn’t paying attention or hasn’t played too many games…

I’m no expert at this stuff and I found Darksiders to be pitched just nicely – nothing was too frustrating but there was challenge to be had and higher difficulties available if you weren’t finding it.

Darksiders is a type of game you don’t see on PC much – the whining here may explain why – it would be shame if all such games were console-only tho.

14. Pantsman says:

FUCK YOU JIM, I LOVE ZELDA GAMES ;_;

• Ikkusei says:

WHAT HE SAID!

• noobnob says:

(Hey) listen to this man!

• Xercies says:

I will also weigh on with this opinion

• Will Tomas says:

I loved Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask, but Zelda games have been far too unadventurous in mixing up the formula since. I want to be surprised and do new things in games, not be fed more of the same.

But that’s a discussion for another non-PC forum.

More on the PC side, I think it’s a Japanese mentality – to have far fewer qualms about keeping games feeling mechanically like games from earlier eras, rather than trying to go for something more immersive.

15. Xanadu says:

Blood bowl legendary edition £7.49 on Impulse.
    Cheaper than I’ve seen it elsewhere, quite tempted.

• iLag says:

ordered that. hooray. plus, I found out that discount codes (like that SURVEY2010 one) and paypal finally work together when ordering via Impulse. HOORAY!

• Will Tomas says:

Can anyone weigh in on whether Blood Bowl is worth it if you haven’t played the board game? I’m kind of interested, and this is the first time it’s been at a price I’d consider paying for a game I’ve been um-ing and ah-ing over. I know Kieron loved it, but also said it was a bit rubbish. Anyone tried it without prior experience of it?

• Creeping Death says:

@Will Tomas

As someone that likes the Warhammer setting but has never played the Bloodbowl boardgame I honestly didn’t have a clue what was going on. There’s tutorials, but even after going through them all and playing a few games it all still seemed a bit vague and random to me :/

• Duffin says:

Will Tomas – I got it a year ago having not played the board game. Its an incredibly well designed game. There is a bit of a learning curve and new players can feel antagonised if they don’t understand why something went wrong (you must read the rule book!), but once you get over that curve you will be rewarded with a deep and very fun game. There is quite a large community of blood bowlers on the RPS forums and a few leagues that have been running for several months now so if you take the plunge be sure to check that out.

• Arathain says:

You’ll do fine if you haven’t played the boardgame. You will need to read the rulebook, but it’s surprisingly readable, and none of the rules are all that complex, particularly when the computer adjudicates them for you. You will need to understand the basic flow of the game and be able to make rough estimates of the odds of a given play.

You’ll have it down after a game or three. Learning to play well takes a lot longer, but that’s a different thing altogether, and therein lies the joy.

16. RadioactiveMan says:

Can anyone weigh in on King Arthur? I read the RPS review from last year, and some other stuff online. I’m undecided, and need the input of you fine folk. For three dollars it seems hard to pass up, but I can’t abide buggy/un-fun battle AI, which is what most reviewers mention.

• GT3000 says:

I bought it and I can say it’s well worth 3 bucks. It’s like METW2 smoked pixie dust.

• luminosity says:

Decidedly not a fan, personally. The tactical battles devolve into blobbing all your men in one spot to hold up the enemy while your cavalry run around and capture all the special ‘win this battle for no good reason’ points. Either that or you actually try to fight properly, in which case you’ll end up loathing the poor UI / controls. The strategic map had some interesting ideas, but not enough to make up for the bad tactical map.

Oh, and on hard at least (and several hours of tutorialish bits in I did not want to restart), trying to neglect the tactical map and just manage the more fun strategic parts was umm, impossible. The auto-calculate feature literally would lose every battle I tried it on, even when I had every available general and troop together.

17. GT3000 says:

King Arthur the Warfare Role-Playing Game is 3 bucks on Steam.

12 for all the DLC and the base game.

18. Robbeh says:

Anyone else getting the “payment authorization failed” message when trying to pay via paypal for DoW? :(

19. MikoSquiz says:

DN3D holds up? Weird. I replayed it about five years ago and had a real “Jesus, I wasted hours of my life on this garbage?” moment. Perhaps it’s de-aged again?

20. LostSoviet says:

Direct2Drive is having a “Blizzard 2011″ sale on its “hottest selling titles.” Coupon code “snowblows” will get you 15% off one of the following:

Armada 2526
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam
    Breach
    Call of Duty Black Ops
    DC Universe Online
    Dead Space 2
    Fallout New Vegas Digital Collector’s Edition
    Magicka
    Medal of Honor
    The Sims 3 Outdoor Living Stuff
    Two Worlds 2

or

Dragon Age 2 (Preorder)
    Homefront (Preorder)
    RIFT Digital Collector’s Edition (Preorder)
    Total War SHOGUN 2 (Preorder)

Link: http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/weekly-deal/

(I track digital distribution deals on my blog.)

21. Robert Yang says:

Umm the best Apogee game is Raptor and it isn’t in this bundle?!

22. fallingmagpie says:

Ha, I pretended to live in Phoenix.

BUT I DON’T!

• Shatners Bassoon says:

I just ordered it, stating my name as Axel Foley and my address as 464 North Rexford Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210. Oh yeah. Eddie Murhpy is gonna be coming after me.

Doo doo, dud da dad da doo doo, dud da dad da doo.

23. banski83 says:

Dammit, can’t seem to get that Chaos Rising deal to work for me, for some bizarre reason… Sadface, as I’ve just started to get back into DoW2.

24. RogB says:

currently reading Bernard Cornwell’s Arthurian trilogy so the King Arthur game seems intriguing. Dumnonia (not camelot!), Pagans vs Christians, Brits vs Saxons, rubbish Druids. There isn’t any fantasy in it though.
    still, for a couple of quid its got to be worth a pop.

• Creeping Death says:

They’re a great trilogy of books. I really do love Bernard Cornwell’s writing. If you havent read his grail quest trilogy yet, I highly recommend it. Probably the best thing he has written in my opinion.

• RogB says:

thanks for the recommendation, i’ll check that series out once i’ve finished sharpe (which im about 1/4 of the way through). I do like his writing, theres nothing flowery its just light and entertaining.
      The arthurian one was quite hard to get into at first as im not used to him writing in the first person.

damn I’d love a sharpe game. Mount&blade combat + rubbish muskets + the Witchers ‘lady conquests’.

• Creeping Death says:

“damn I’d love a sharpe game. Mount&blade combat + rubbish muskets + the Witchers ‘lady conquests”

The upcoming Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword is going to feature rubbish muskets, so I guess that’s 2 out of 3 there :P

25. Jimbo says:

Darksiders is ballbags. Be sure not to buy Overlord 2 either.

26. Hunam says:

The overlord games on the PC are horridly broken. The most obvious optimisation of using the mouse properly just doesn’t work.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I played through the original with keyboard and mouse when it came out and had no problems with the controls whatsoever. “Horridly broken” are not the words that seem appropriate here.

• boldoran says:

I played through the original on the PC too and did not notice horrible controls. Controlling the minions can get a bit fiddely but it was bearable.

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t remember a problem with the mouse on the first Overlord game. Maybe a configuration issue?

The first game was okay, but I didn’t buy the second one. Sweeping your minions around as a “weapon” is a cool idea, but it gets old pretty fast. Especially since your supposedly big and scary “Overlord” isn’t worth much in 1v1 combat if you let a baddie get close. I never felt properly evil either, which should be the whole point of this type of game. The quests could have been done by any generic bad-ass hero.

27. 2ds says:

What? Bloodbowl legendary edition is $10 on impulse this week, where is the mention?

28. awdosome says:

Take a look at my absurd profile in roblox

29. BaronWR says:

The Dawn of War II: Chaos rising deal is absurdly good. So good, in fact, that it seems to have given me a copy of regular, vanilla DoW II as well, which I hadn’t expected. Has anyone else seen this?

Also, it’s worth noting when you put in an American address that there’s some form of zip code validation going on: put in one that doesn’t confirm and it’ll just reload the page instead of moving to the checkout.

Now, if only they weren’t taking so long to download…

• boldoran says:

I got only the expansion. Still a good deal. Is it worth getting the vanilla game too?

• DrazharLn says:

Re: Zip code validation

Luckily: http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown.jsp

• BaronWR says:

And now my bonus copy of DoW II has dissappeared, leaving only the locked files on my hard drive. Thought it was too good to be true, although I’m interested how the error a) happened and b) got corrected. Is someone from Valve just lurking here?

30. Balhazer says:

I just bought Dawn of War II: Chaos rising…

It is a stand alone expansion or do I need to buy DOW II?

• noobnob says:

All of Relic’s expansions are standalones, so no, you don’t need DOWII to play DOWII: Chaos Rising.

31. Horza says:

Excellent Bargain Bucket (and comments thread) this week. Picked up DoW2, Chaos Rising and Blood Bowl Legendary Edition. Should be enough virtual Games Workshop stuff for a while.

And Chaos Rising is standalone as far as I know, so no need to buy DoW2 with it if you don’t want to.

32. cytokindness says:

I’m amazed that there’s been no coverage of the biggest special on Steam EVER:
    The Railworks DLC Complete Pack – in which you save over EIGHT HUNDRED AND SEVENTY DOLLARS.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, but you still have to pay $200 to get those savings. This could seem ridiculous, if I didn’t know what the civilian flight sim market was like, with the cost of add-on planes.

I don’t have nearly THAT much invested in X-Plane payware aircraft, but it’s getting up there. And then there’s the Rise of Flight WWI game, which just added two new big bombers….

• Xanadu says:

I think they’re missing a trick though – if that DLC was all Thomas the Tank engine themed then they’d have millions of customers willing to pay 150 quid for the lot. Thankfully it’s not so I can keep my kids away from my Steam account. For now.

33. dethtoll says:

Ooh DoWII for $5! And as I am a Filthy Yank I needn’t put the address for the local parental concern group to get the game!

Though I may do that anyway.

34. Talorc says:

I put in an address in Compton which has two dudes standing outside in white singlets. They fully look like they are doing a drug deal. THQ can take it up with them if they dont think I am yank.

35. Kameltoemunch says:

Ah, lucky me didn’t have to jump through any hoops to take advantage of the awesome THQ deals. Picked up DOW2 and Chaos Rising, which I’ve been meaning to do for a while, but I’m also somewhat tempted by Metro 2033 and to a lesser extent Darksiders. Unfortunately there are just too many games to play and not enough time, especially with the power of my on going BC 2 addiction.

36. bookwormat says:

Doh! I just got mail from paypal that Digital River has refunded me the $5.44 I payed yesterday for DoW:Chaos Rising!

The game is -for now- still in my steam list. What is happening here?

• Uglycat says:

Does it still work though? ;)

• TeraTelnet says:

The same just happened for my Metro 2033 order, though Steam is still downloading the game and the THQ client is still downloading it too – for now at least.

• bookwormat says:

The game is running just fine. For now at least.

• Fatbubba says:

Ugh, just noticed the same thing.

I checked the order status on findmyorder.com and it still says the same: Order Complete

• Horza says:

Just got refunded also. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Steam version would stop working also.

Oh well, I’m not forcing to them to take my money if they don’t want it.

• MrThingy says:

Hmm… same happened to me.

Still on Disk 10 download.

Wonder if it does some Paypal internationalisation checking.

Either way, I expect it to dissappear from Steam as well. *sniff* :(

• Rich says:

Pardon my paranoia, but I’ll be crying a fecking river if THQ lean on Valve to get as all banned.

• Telke says:

agreed, that would be incredibly horrible.

• dethtoll says:

You guys are all overseas, right? That’s probably the problem.

• adonf says:

Depends on where you’re from. I’m on the mainland, does that make me overseas ? (Still no cancellation e-mail though, so I guess the answer is no)

37. RegisteredUser says:

You know, looking at this list I feel like we no longer need game release dates announced. Just look at what bargains of older stuff suddenly pop up and you have an abover average chance it is because a sequel/addon is around the corner (Dead Space, Blood Bowl, King Arthur, Duke etc).

P.S. I got the whole King’s Bounty pack for 7,50 EUR during christmas. I find it ludicrous to have / re-enact sales that are a HIGHER price than before and still call it a sale. That’s what I really don’t like/understand about these digital sales.

38. RegisteredUser says:

Dunno, I actually felt Darksiders was a graphically competent slasher. I have no idea why these are called Zelda games(more like Kain, no?), as I remember zelda as being a top down, hold down a button to run / slash away at bushes and capture fairies / shoot fire wands at ice to melt it / collect little hearts to bump health type of game, and not anything like a flaming colossus of godly warmachine smashing through everything in his path at all.

• Kid_A says:

If you have a Wii (or – shhhh – a PC capable of Wii/Gamecube emulation) try out one of the more recent Zelda games. Then perhaps you’ll see the resemblance more fully.

39. Dlarit says:

Good Haul this week Lewie! you cost me £10 but i feel very good about it.

40. Mad Hamish says:

oops wrong thread

41. trooperdx3117 says:

Oh got the refund email from THQ for Dawn of War 2, does anyone know can we be banned from steam for this? Silly THQ for not just accepting our money!

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, I can’t help but be slightly worried about this. If they’d just kept the money, there would have been no trouble at all, but if THQ go to Valve and demand that games be pulled or accounts shut down for this? Well, I really hope they don’t do that.

The best-case scenario here is that we got the game for free. The worst-case scenario… I don’t even want to consider that.

• Horza says:

I’d guess the most likely outcome is that Valve will remove the games sometime soon.

Complete ban would be a really extreme reaction, considering that the fake address tip (this post) can be read from Steam’s own news feed.

• Deano2099 says:

If THQ owned Valve, then maybe they might. But they don’t, and there’s no incentive for Valve to ‘punish’ people who have done this. Also, the games are still there. Which says to me Valve aren’t exactly treating sorting this out as a high priority.

• cocoleche says:

Yeah, we didn’t cheat Valve out of their money. THQ messed up, I don’t see why the people at Valve would punish their userbase for this.

• Nathan says:

I am more than a little paranoid about this. If I could throw Chaos Rising out of my Steam account right now for peace of mind, I definitely would.

• bookwormat says:

Oh, come on guys. Don’t be ridiculous.

Valve risks a PR drama and gives up customers because one of their competitors had a bug in their billing software? Seriously?

I imagine that THQ is not even talking to Valve at the moment. They will want to talk with Digital River.

42. Kameltoemunch says:

Are you guys all UK based? I’m wondering what the deal is. I’m US based and my games appear to be fine.

43. adonf says:

Has anyone had a refund e-mail for Darksiders or is it just for the Warhammer games ?

44. Lewie Procter says:

If anyone loses access to their Steam account as a result of using a deal I have posted, I will do everything in my power to get it restored.

I don’t think that is likely though.

• Dominic White says:

Good to know that if the worst case situation does happen (and like you say, it’s unlikely), you’re not just washing your hands of us.

• cocoleche says:

Next time, publish it as an anonymous comment instead. The information gets out but you avoid repercussions/legal liability.

PS: At least that’s what I did back in my journo days.

• Navagon says:

Oh lawd. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that as Steam can be a bit… tetchy about anything that looks even vaguely like fraud.

Kudos for doing what you can to ensure the worst doesn’t come to the worst though.

• SpinalJack says:

That’s good to hear cos I have loads of games on steam, lets hope this all blows over

• ScruffyLemming says:

Good to know, last time i checked my steam account was worth something like 800 – 1000 squids. I would literally be in tears if I got banned. Im hoping they just remove the game from my list at this point. It would help calm my paranoia.

• MrThingy says:

On the plus side, if it gets removed from my account, from what I’ve played so far… I’m not so sure I’ll miss it.

Chaotic, confusing interface.

Or maybe I’m just getting old and should stick to dominoes and draughts….

• OfficerMeatbeef says:

Ugh, so much worry here… I too have received a refund for my purchase of DoW & expansion, although of course I simply added the keys to Steam and so they currently remain. I’m tempted to just send a message to Steam Support right now clearly stating that I have been refunded the cost of the product and asking that they remove the game and key from my account, but fear that might just cause more trouble. But after all, I wasn’t looking to get these things for “free” in the first place, simply to get a good deal and fairly pay the company their offered price.

The rather ironic part of this thing is not just how long I waffled about with placing the order out of concern that something like this might happen, but that in contrast to most of you UK folks, I’m in Canada and THQ refused my Canadian address just as it refused you folks across the pond. Which is to say, they created a deal unusable in Canada for a product developed IN Canada; and in fact, a product always otherwise available on Steam at the exact same price and offered in the exact same denomination as the US!

Some of THQ’s biggest franchises are developed in Canada, and yet they will not accept a orders from there, even with a currency essentially equal to their own? They don’t even offer a Canadian site! It’s bewildering, frustrating, and most unfortunately, wholly expected. But then, I wouldn’t even be surprised if the only reason a Canadian address could not be used was because they simply forgot to flag it in their order software as “allowed”..

• trooperdx3117 says:

Cheers Lewie really appreciate it, not your fault though that THQ arent smart enough to sort out their own billing forms or smart enough to take our money

• Tyranny says:

Everyone should stop worrying. It’s quite easy to see what’s happened if we just look at the facts: some lovable internet scamps have tried a cheeky trick to get hold of some of THQ’s wonderful games for a bargain price, but for whatever reason THQ can’t actually accept the order, and so refunds the money. They still want us to keep the games though, because they are such a great company, and they like our spirit, and ready willingness to actually pay for games (even when those games are only available in a country in which we do not currently reside – exactly the type of thing Chaos Space Marines might get up to). Really, it a story of games publisher generosity of Valve-like proportions – so I say: Three Cheers for THQ!
      Now, go forth and tell everybody what a clever PR wheeze THQ have just cooked up as a trail for DOWII:Retribution.

45. Anarki says:

Just to add my bit, I bought Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising. Got an email saying I have been refunded for DoW2 (but nothing about Chaos Rising) but they are both still in my steam list and downloading as we speak. Will find out if they work soon…

46. adonf says:

I finally got the refund e-mail for Darksiders. It just says ‘refund’ and doesn’t mention any order cancellation. If the game still works on Steam then it amounts to $10 for US residents and FREE for everyone else. Thank you, THQ !