AGS Awards 2010 Down To Finalists

By John Walker on February 7th, 2011 at 9:27 pm.

What is point?

I’m not sure what the AGS community stands to gain from its running joke of claiming to be the American Girl Scouts, but persist with it they do. It’s bound to lead to some sort of hilarious mix-up that sees an epidemic of American teenage girls making point and click adventures, while a lot of people spend time in prison. It is in fact the Adventure Game Studio. (Which itself has the URL “bigbluecup”…) Anyhow, their annual awards are up and running, with the second round of voting taking place over the next few weeks. Each category has been narrowed down to five finalists, with Calin Leafshade’s Eternally Us, and Ascovel and Baron’s Snakes Of Avalon receiving a lot of nominations. If you want to vote, you need to wait about three days we’re told. Then a voting page will appear. Which gives you plenty of time to have a play of the finalists.

I’ll be taking a look at a few of the nominees this week, and will let you know my thoughts.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. stahlwerk says:

I hate timed puzzles. Can’t I unlock voting with what I have in my inventory?

This site exists because we like to tell stupid people that AGS stands for ‘American Girl Scouts’.

You go, girls!

2. Bhazor says:

But what I want to know is will Beautiful Escape be in the running?

3. westyfield says:

I tried making a game in AGS once. It wasn’t very good and then I stopped.

Video games!

4. Rikard Peterson says:

Why should the engine in which a game is made be important? That makes me slightly sad.

• Frosty says:

Cause, speaking from experience, AGS is a engine that really allows idiots like me to have a go at making games.

• Rikard Peterson says:

Yes, AGS itself is good. I don’t argue against that. I just wish we were more like the IF community. The XYZZYs (and most players) don’t care about what tools were used to create the games. It’s the games themselves that should matter.

• Igor Hardy says:

I’d love to see a global indie adventure games awards ceremony realized. Maybe indie adventure games focused sites could organize something like that together.

• Acorino says:

Well, I do feel that the indie adventure developing community is seperated by the tools the developers use. And the one that formed around AGS got so strong that they thought it might be a great idea to give out awards, I guess.
      Which is a fancy way of saying “I have no idea”.

5. triple omega says:

So American Girl Scouts like the Snakes Of Avalon? Where is this Avalon you speak of?

6. Saul says:

Just started helping someone out with their AGS game. After a previous (aborted) attempt to do one on my own, this one is progressing nicely.

I also played one a little while back, called “The Vacuum”, which was pretty damn cool. I liked that it was more story and dialogue-based, rather than being full of “click this on this” puzzles. There was never any confusion about what to do next, but there were multiple endings, characters who could die (or not) and an optional mystery, allowing for multiple play-throughs. Here’s the link:

7. Hodge says:

For anyone interested the full list of nominees is here (I couldn’t find a link in John’s post – apologies if it’s there and I’ve missed it).

8. amandachen says:

I used to love this sort of game. Decades ago. I mean, I don’t think this style of game has aged very well. Actually, I’ve gotten back into playing text adventures, and there are heaps of good, modern ones around, not just “GET SWORD. KILL GOBLIN” style.

• Saul says:

The same is pretty much true of adventure games. Check out the one I posted about above.