Riiiiiiiidge Raaaceeeerrrrr: Unbounded

By Quintin Smith on February 7th, 2011 at 8:30 am.

The car, it explodes from the logo like happiness from a dream.

Via Blues I notice that Japanese driving franchise Ridge Racer (Riiiiiiiidge Raaaceeeerrrrr) is, for the first time, coming to the PC! Yes. But not the Ridge Racer you know and potentially love. No. In the increasingly common practice of Japanese publishers farming their licenses out to Western games developers, Namco Bandai has given Helsinki-based devs Bugbear (makers of the popular racing series FlatOut) the task of constructing Ridge Racer: Unbounded. And it’s… well, take a look at the trailer below.

Here’s the line from the press release.

“Breaking free from all the pussyfooting around tame circuits*, politely bumping into rivals’ fenders**, Ridge Racer Unbounded has a new mantra – Drive, Destroy, Dominate – and it’s one that’s going to shake up the racing genre for good***. It’s time to break not only the rules, but plenty of cars too. You think you’ve seen crashes? You’ve seen nothing. In Ridge Racer Unbounded your car is a high-octane wrecking ball.”

I do think I’ve seen crashes, actually. I’ve seen both Burnout and FlatOut and other contenders in the actually-quite-crowded genre of racing-games-with-cars-resembling-high-octane-wrecking-balls. Tell you what. Maybe they mean in Ridge Racer: Unbounded your car is literally a high-octane wrecking ball! Not sure how that’d work, but if any of you guys want to draw one and post it in the comments you should feel welcome.

…oh. I guess your car is just a car. Nevermind.

* What?

** What?

*** Wow!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Pemptus says:

Oh hey, another one of those games that are named after a (fairly) beloved franchise and have nothing in common with it apart from the core concept (cars go zoom!). How inspired!

• Pop says:

Pretty much – I thought Ridge Racer was about drifting implausibly round corners in implausible cars in implausible environments to win the affection of implausible Manga women.

2. SquareWheel says:

The hell?

• stahlwerk says:

I second this. Hard.

• Henke says:

I replayed Flatout: UC recently and then checked out Bugbears website, wondering what their next project would be, but they were very hush hush about it. The trailer and it’s accompanying press release may be shit, but it IS another destructive racing game and it IS by Bugbear so no doubt it’ll be good.

• DrGonzo says:

Indeed, loved the Flatout games, which I find to be far superior to the Burnout series. They actually feel like you’re driving some kind of vehicle. Burnout is so disconnected from reality it feels more like toy cars to me.

• Andrei Sebastian says:

BugBear / Flatout = total awesomness
      BugBear / Flatou / Microsoft Live = shit

Let’s just hope they get that in their heads.

P.S.
      Live doesn’t support a lot of countries practically. So if you live in Romania (like I do), and you bought Flatout UC in this last year’s Steam winter sale you would have gotten totally burned (and I know quite a few people who went throught this).
      Luckily most people know about the issue and got FlatOut 2

3. Brumisator says:

If it weren’t for that hilarious 2006 E3, nobody would even remember the name Ridge Racer.

• mda says:

I know not of this hilarious 2006 E3, but ridge racer is a classic arcade racer to me… there! Proved you wrong. But how do you know I’m telling the truth? Mwa ha ha ha ha!

Got a link to whatever the hilarious thing was? ^_^

• Brumisator says:

Erm…did you read the article?

• Xercies says:

I remember Ridge racer Type 4 very fondly, a very great arcadey drifty racing game which made you feel like a god after awhile being able to do all the great turns by drifting. Nothing of that ilk has really come out since, and I’m disappointed that this game is just not ridge racer.

• mda says:

@Brum:

Yes I read it. Please accept my apologies for not clicking the link in the article… truly I am not worthy to speak to you.

It wasn’t funny anyway :/

4. RogB says:

unbounded? sounds like a made-up word. (apparently its not, but sounds like it )

Need for Speed 24 : Betterer!

5. phenom_x8 says:

Love ridge racer when I was a console gamer (RR 4 around 99). Fascinated by its costumization option when formed new racing team! It even allowed us to create our own team logo.
    Is there anyone thinking that it’s just flatout series rebranded as Ridge Racer??

6. randomnine says:

Okay. The trailer opens with this dramatic, character-focused intro, so I’m vaguely immersed… and then she drives out into a street and T-bones a taxi for no reason. What the hell? That’s not awesome, it’s just reckless. THIS WOMAN DOES NOT HAVE MUCH RESPECT FOR THE HIGHWAY CODE

It’s possible I’m too old for this.

I never played FlatOut. Was it any good?

• Brumisator says:

Flatout had a pretty fun gimmick, where the cars have drivers with rag-doll physics.
      It was a decent driving game, but the most fun was to be had in the little arcade games, where you’d play giant bowling, or giant darts with your car.

“wheeeee!” *crash” “kekekekekekeke”

the Flatout games are realitvely cheap on Steam, and also at least one demo.

• hamster says:

Oh god lol i spent minutes laughing at the trailer.

• Serph says:

“Real time car change… So here’s this giant enemy taxi… you flip over this taxi on its back… and you attack its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE…”

• bill says:

I got Flatout 1 for $2 in the steam sale to play on my laptop. It’s ok.

The crashes are kinda fun. But the driving model is just a little unrewarding. Couldn’t tell you why, but it doesn’t have the great feel of some racing games.
      The environments are fun to drive through and crash into, but there aren’t that many of them, so they get reused (but with different courses).
      The rubber-banding is very very obvious. If you crash or get lost, you often find a big queue of cars waiting for you round the next bend. At least on the easy cup.
      I was rather disappointed by all the physics-crash minigames. I thought they sounded cool, but must say that I only tried each one a few times before going back to the racing.
      Never finished it though.

• DrGonzo says:

Well, I loved the Flatout games. Probably the only racing games, other than Blur, that I’ve enjoyed since.. Possibly Sega Rally or Hot Pursuit.

• Slow Dog says:

FlatOut wasn’t particularly inspired. The driving’s insipid, and its damage model’s off, so you can get a daft procession of cars with burning engines.

FlatOut 2, though (and presumably FlatOut:UC, being essentially the same game), is brilliant. I can imagine the folks who don’t like GRID/DIRT – style skiddyness won’t like it, and the Ragdoll games are daft, but the basic impact-fuelled driving experience is great.

7. The Hammer says:

What a curiously crap trailer…

8. Gonefornow says:

The similarities between the NfS Underground logo and this are, no doubt, well calculated.

And while watching the trailer I ,for some reason, kept waiting for some Zombies to pop up.
    Alas, that was not the case.

9. Stijn says:

For a game already boasting about its crashes, that yellow car is curiously unscathed after the first impact.

10. StingingVelvet says:

I am truly surprised that not every comment is about the stupid subtitle.

11. Lambchops says:

All this talk of “high octane” brings to mind PC racer Hi-Octane, which I think came packaged with one of my families early PCs. It was probably rubbish but I seem to remember rather enjoying it. I was probably 7 or 8 at the time and at the edge where cars with miniguns and missiles could keep me entertained for many an hour!

Also here is a hastily drawn paint image of a high octane wrecking ball:

• Baggypants says:

Bullfrogs Hi-Octane rocked. Budget PC Wipeout. Did you prefer the car, truck or doughnut?

• Lambchops says:

It was all about the Juggernaut thing.

• BooleanBob says:

Subsequently I’ve heard that Hi-Octane was something Bullfrog shoved out of the door to try and recoup the money they spent on the Magic Carpet engine.

But it was still brilliant. Take the doughnut. If you kill literally every other car, you will come first. This was the only correct mentality to assume when playing.

12. tomnullpointer says:

erm…

WARFACE!

13. Sigma Draconis says:

Not just Unbounded, but Outsourced, too!

14. ZIGS says:

I understand this might piss off the Ridge Racer fans but to me, someone who never cared for Ridge Racer and loved FlatOut, this is great news. In fact, I was recently wondering what bugbear was up to, here’s my answer

15. Warth0g says:

What the.. I don’t get it? She gets out of quite a nice looking car that looks a bit like a Nissan 370Z, but isn’t.. then she gets surreptitiously into a slightly crappier looking car that looks a bit like a Dodge Charger, but isn’t… then hoofs it straight into a busy main road?? Errmm, why? Usually the crashing bits are at least as a result of racing somebody…

16. apa says:

that’s a 5gen camaro, isn’t it? not the stock tail lights though.

17. Chizu says:

Thats a rather unimpressive trailer.
    And I never cared all that much for Ridge Racer, certainly in its later renditions. They felt strangely un-interactive, with your car rotating on the spot and seemingly going around a corner what ever strange angle you decide to point it in.

That said, I did enjoy flatout so maybe they can make this Unboundedededededededededededededededed thing more enjoyable.

Also, that was a horrible cgi lady :(

18. DJ Phantoon says:

It may be Ridge Racer, but it’s no Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaacer!.

19. BrendanJB says:

$599 US DOLLARS

20. Riztro says:

What the hell is wrong with her hips?

21. Pepelusky says:

And then, i dont think i’d have a reason to walk thru that steam coming out of that manhole.

22. Matt says:

I thought Namco was going to stop working with western developers. I guess that was just a lie to hide their incompetence at publishing…

23. yhalothar says:

so they took the arcadey goodness of ridge racer and turned into another burnout wannabe?

24. NPC says:

Do they imply destructible environments? Like BFBC2 with cars? That could be neat, if the cars are at least somewhat less destructible than the environments, so the fun lasts.

25. Man Raised by Puffins says:

High-octane wrecking ball? Why, only one assortment of misfits could be behind the wheel of that.

26. CyberBrent says:

Why did she kill that taxi driver?

27. Navagon says:

I thought the whole super-powered car thing kind of flopped commercially? Neither Blur nor… that other one… (Split Second?) seemed to do very well at all. Both seemed to drop off the map almost before they were released.

But, being a Bugbear game, it could be very good in its own right.

Edit: Wrecking ball car.

28. mandrill says:

Oh come on, can we not have marketing for a game without the pneumatic females please, there’s really no need (unless the game is about pneumatic females, which this game isn’t)

29. Crescend says:

Well, I have high hopes in them, gotta support finnish games developers whenever I can :) Really enjoyed the flatout series, I hope the ridge rider franchise gives them enough freedom to create the awesome wrecking ball racing game they’re aiming for.

30. manveruppd says:

Errr… you mentioned only 2 high-octane arcadey crashy driving games, so I guess the genre isn’t all THAT crowded on PC… :p I for one welcome our new high octane overlords!

31. poop says:

In the latest sequel to, Long Running Racing Franchise, Long Running Racing Franchise : Exciting Words, the player is thrust into a fast paced world of street racing where there are no rules and the police and traffic are as dangerous as the sexy babe hotrod drivers you will face. With the new Thing Destruction engine you will be amazed as you smash into police cars and walls in slow motion for the hundredth time!

32. Xercies says:

Man her hips wobbled right to left a bit to much…and what has happened to her midsection!?

33. dwl says:

‘Unbound’ woulded have sounded bettered.

34. bill says:

They spelled Flatout wrong. It starts with an F not an R.

That said, Flatout Unbounded looks ok… but what i’d really like would be if someone made a modern version of Ridge Racer. Anyone remember that? It used to be cool. Shame they seem to have abandoned the license.

• Shih Tzu says:

Actually, Namco announced a new Ridge Racer. It will be on the… what is it… 3DS! It is like an Android phone, except it makes your eyes feel pleasantly drunk.

35. DeanLearner says:

I am assuming this is a classic case of…
    TRAILER BRIEF –> GENERAL IDEA –> COOL TWIST
    with the cool twist, a weird psycho driver, that cannot be explained because they have forgotten to include the GENERAL IDEA of the trailer in any form what so ever.

P.S. Women drivers. HAHAHAHAHAAHhahahahaaa heeeh.

36. strange headache says:

Flatout was great for one thing and one thing only: 8 player Bus vs. Chili destruction derby.

37. MindFukr says:

Don’t care about Ridge Racer at all, never have. Enjoyed all Flatout games but wasn’t really looking forward to another one (unless it would have been completely new game not just another remake), so this is actually great news.

Bugbear got the skills to develop a fun, arcade racer and I’m pretty sure they’ll deliver. Vroom.

38. terry says:

She’s going to come back to a flat battery.

39. Horza says:

Ridge Racer should totally have Ridge Forrester as the main character.

40. something says:

Its like I’ve always said, robot prostitutes from the matrix universe can’t drive for toffee.

• Navagon says:

Of course not. Have you ever tried picking bits of toffee out of robot teeth using cold, senseless robot hands and a tongue designed only to give a French kiss of death? Toffee just isn’t their cuppa, mate.

41. Zogtee says:

Right. A couple of things.

1. Unbounded. Is that even a proper word?

2. That is NOT what happens when you broadside a car. Unless you have a magical forcefield around your own car.

3. That woman needs to see a doctor. There is something wrong with her hips.

42. laddyman says:

Probably already posted, but this:
    That is all I have to say.

43. Simon Dufour says:

Too bad.. what I actually liked about flatout was the scrap cars.. now we’ll essentially play a flatout game with supercar. that suck.

44. RegisteredUser says:

“Drive, Destroy, Dominate – and it’s one that’s going to shake up the racing genre for good”

Death Rally & Carmageddon in DOS.
    Where were you then, buggy bear?

Oh that’s right, NOWHERE.

Comment on this story