Spiral Discusses “The Indie Dream”

By John Walker on February 7th, 2011 at 3:26 pm.

Fighting dinosaurs is the new matching three gems.

You may remember that only four days ago Jim spoke to Spiral’s David Prassel about their forthcoming indie shooter, ORION: Prelude. A lot of the same sentiments about their desire to change how games are made, as well as played, are captured in a new video they’ve put together, called The Indie Dream. Bear with it for the first minute or so – the dodgy slidey pics of artwork move aside from some entertaining in-game footage of dinosaurs fighting humans. You can see it below.

They’re now in the last week of their Kickstarter fundraising drive, having already exceeded their $10,000 goal. But clearly the more the merrier for an indie team working for free, so if you fancy helping the project along you can throw them a few shekels over here.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. coldvvvave says:

Needs Unnecessary Dramatic Music tag.

2. bob_d says:

Dinosaurs are the new zombies!

• Basilicus says:

Hopefully. Was it me or was that narrator a pubescent David Duchovny?

3. Artist says:

Here is your objective: Blah, blah, blah, blah! Astonishing new features, blah, blah, blah, blah, lots of details, blah, blah, blah, Dinosaurs,blah, blah, blah, blah! Good luck!

Impressive, but the Duty Calls trailer sums it all up… Yet another Dino shooter! *yaaawn*

• Basilicus says:

Where are these other dino shooters, exactly? I see one other in production (and that’s a mod) and absolutely zero existent in the last several years.

• Artist says:

I remember its primal carnage and a new Jurassic park game in the making. Also a few mods – and believe it or not, but sometimes even a mod might be a game… ;)

• bob_d says:

I’m hoping it’s the start of a new trend; if CODBLOPS comes out with a “communist dinosaur” DLC, I’d actually be tempted to play the game.

4. Re2deemer says:

…..eh, so what was the video supposed to be about then?
    I’m afraid Artist’s comment sums up my thoughts about the video.

• Artist says:

I think they say: Support us poor sobs with money and get the “feel rewarded” and “support Indies that lack innovtion” archievement…? *shrugs*

• bildo says:

@Artist

“Give support, get rewarded” was the catchphrase.

Makes me chuckle though. They are rewarding people with silly little gadgets, gizmos and stuff from the game. If he had said, “oh, give support, receive profit sharing (or any return that’s liquid),” I’d be more inclined to offer support.

• bob_d says:

@ bildo: $10,000, much less a fraction of that sum, isn’t going to buy you very much of a stake in a game company. In-game hats are probably worth more money than what you’d get if there was profit sharing (assuming there were to be any profits).

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

@bob_d
      Not always the case. Some (indie) games are made with very small budgets. Selling 1000 copies may return the investment, anything above is profit.

Not to say that it’s the case with this game, I assume they had to buy UDK and several licenses for 3d software and Photoshop and what not. Just to say that all games have a multi-million dollar budget is not always true.

Edit: A pre-order is a good example of a return investment some indie developers use (Though with a limitation of how much one could realistically invest).

• Joe W-A says:

re buying UDK – a commercial license is $100, so it’s not a huge deal

5. JeCa says:

“You’ll immediately notice our love for colour”
    *Picture of a black character with teal and orange details*

6. noom says:

Yay for completely unneccesary jaded cynicism.

• bob_d says:

What would the internet be without it? I’m guessing LoLcats.

• Lord_Mordja says:

Sometimes I think we PC gamers are becoming the hipsters of the internet.

7. Tei says:

I think theres a game asking to be made, where dinosaurs and humans share a valley, and the walls can be destroyed ( Bad Company 2 engine) both by angry dinosaurs, or these pesky humans…
    …how I hate these humans!.

But thats not the game that seems want to make. Seems to want to produce a game where the dinosaurs are a neutral side, that is there to distract attacks. In my experience the dynamic of war is soo intense, any third faction that get in the way wil be crushed. If you have played any MMO with OpenPvP, you know the feeling when a zerg cross a area with high level mobs, the feel of … immunity, since nothing can touch the zerg.

But.. he!.. this dudes have already managed to create a pretty engine, hope then manage to convey a good gameplay around that prettiness, or near it.

• TheWanaB says:

@Tei

The game uses UDK – they didn’t create a “pretty engine” at all.

8. ZIGS says:

Is it wrong that I read “Spiral” and “indie” and immediately thought of The Spire?

9. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I think one of the devs fried their PC and they don’t have enough money to buy a new one…

Ok, maybe that’s harsh. I guess they put a lot of love and time in it, but making a video this “emo” is a little sad… Show some confidence, and people will be confident that the game will be good.

10. THEiNTERNETS says:

“HM I DON’T LIKE THIS GENRE/IDEA/VIDEOANNOUNCER, CLEARLY THIS IS A MONEY-GRABBING CONSPIRACY!!!”

(half-baked attempt of a flash platformer in 8-bit shows up tomorrow)

“HOW ARTISTIC. THESE PEOPLES CARE ABOUT OUR GAMINGS!”

11. bill says:

I like the look of their game. But the “new way games are made” seems the same as Interstellar Marine’s “AAA Indie”. That also looks like a cool game – but it boils down to: give us money to make our game, and we’ll give you…er.. badges.

I might be interested in investing in such a game, or helping with development for a stake – but i find something very slightly distasteful about the kickstarter model of “give us money – we’ll keep the profits”.

I hope there is a little more to their gameworld though, because Halo with dinosaurs in Orange and Teal doesn’t really seem like a brave new world of indie development.