Dungeon Siege III Shows Off Magic, Monsters

By Jim Rossignol on February 8th, 2011 at 8:00 am.

Creepily standing about with a sword is a great way of impressing your friends.
Funny, I wrote the word “Dungeon” in our headline bar because I was going to write about the Dungeons English-language demo, only I can’t actually find the link, despite having seen it earlier. What has happened to it? We may never know. Anyway, that word didn’t go to waste, because our info-cousins at Eurogamer have posted another look at Dungeon Siege III, only with actual moving game footage this time. There are explosions and skeletons and exploding skeletons. So it all turned out for the best. Go take a look, below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. amandachen says:

Well, Chris Taylor probably would have made a hash of this. DSIII seems to have a lot more life in it than the previous games.

2. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks nice and I can’t wait to play the Dungeons demo, so double win I guess…

3. Jakkar says:

Mmm. Another RPG in which we jog, infinitely forwards, jiggling breasts, heaving shoulders and weapons held high in a manner that would leave Schwarzeneggers biceps in a hell of pain, let alone scrawny elfbastards..

4. Lars Westergren says:

This has actually gone from something I was mainly going to buy out of loyalty to Obsidian to one of my most anticipated titles of the year. It is also encouraging to hear that making it stable and bug free has been one of the main focuses of the whole project.

• StingingVelvet says:

Same here, I don’t even like clicky-clicky RPGs much but I was buying this because I love Obsidian’s games. The more I see of it though the more I actually want it as its own game.

• Bhazor says:

“I don’t even like clicky-clicky RPGs”

It a good job it isn’t a clicky clicky game then isn’t it?
      It’s a Fable style third person magic man stab with co-op.

“The bulk of combat is mapped onto three buttons for blocking with your shield, swiping with your sword and changing your weapon stance. Each character class has two stances. Here, one stance enabled quick sword swipes, the other, more fierce strikes with a longer range for when surrounded by enemies.

It’s a very easy system to get to grips with. Taking on said witch was a matter of knowing when to block and swipe. Some enemies will blast magic at you. Pressing L1 causes your character to roll out of harms way. Most of the enemies you’ll encounter in Dungeon Siege 3 require different tactics, keeping the combat fresh. If you’ve got friends, Dungeon Siege 3 features co-op multiplayer. All a buddy has to do is press start to instantly join in.”

• Sidorovich says:

As if Obsidian could demand loyalty from any gamer after the botched job that was ‘New Vegas’. DS was a dungeon crawler in the best sense of the phrase; they’re hacking away at this by introducing needless Mass Effect style conversations that nobody wants. Betcha they’ll rush this out before the real big hitters in the action-rpg stakes arrive, thereby avoiding unfavourable comparisions….

5. Njordsk says:

Hey what about gameplay?

We’ve seen nothing of that game except compilation of 2 seconds clips.

And it’s coming out in May… I smell a trap.

6. Jakkar says:

It’s not as though Obsidian are capable of releasing a game in a functional state, after all.. Well, I owe them for Vegas. Broken, needed a lot of mods to feel good, but.. So, so much better than the last one =)

7. jon_hill987 says:

I get the feeling the plot summery for this game won’t be too dissimilar from the following:

-Grimnir is gone.
    -Monsters roam the land.
    -The king need your aid!
    -I am Vlad, not a vampire.
    -You must go to Havindr.

Which says a lot about the quality of writing in games (and the fantasy genera in general).

• Lars Westergren says:

I’m puzzled. How does your wild guess about how the plot play out say anything about the actual plot in this game, or damn the quality of a whole genre?

• MrMud says:

I am assuming you base this on the rubbish plots and characterisations of Kotor2, MotB and AP right?

• jon_hill987 says:

I was playing Magicka and it occurred to me that the (parody) plot in that is, if you remove the tongue from the cheek, pretty much identical to every fantasy story since J. R. R. Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings and in my experience fantasy games seem to be even more clichéd than the books.

This is not the case with /all/ fantasy games and definitely not the case with /all/ fantasy books, but Dungeon Siege III is one I am sure will be.

• Oozo says:

Seems like somebody got himself a working copy of “Magicka”, and somebody doesn’t.
      Still, broad generalizatons are broad.

PS Ah, screw that. Too slow. Must work on my Ninja-skills.

• Bhazor says:

Well it is an **ACTION** RPG. So any story would be an improvement over 90% of the genre really.

8. Quine says:

It’s got a crow made of crows!

Therefore awesome.

9. Multidirectional says:

But will it have mature gay romances? Isn’t that what “G” in “RPG” stands for nowadays?

10. Tunips says:

We found out what happened to the Dungeons link. John stole it. The cad.

11. YanDaik says:

Lets just hope it hasn’t become more casual and more glamour (like MU online for example).

12. zergrush says:

It’s looking very Dark Alliance / Champions-esque. Which is a pretty good thing.

13. derella says:

Do you get to make your own character, or are you stuck with Generic the Warrior-Man?

14. kyrieee says:

Looks like shit
    Will be shit

15. Navagon says:

The art direction is certainly a lot more encouraging than the shit Blizzard have put out so far of Diablo 3. Well apart from all that lens flare bollocks you used in the previous DS3 header image…

The major failing of previous Dungeon Sieges is the over-simplicity of it all. Yes, in some ways the simplifications made perfect sense and eradicated a lot of irrelevant crap. But they eradicated a lot of relevant features too. There’s the suggestion in what I’ve read so far that Obsidian will be changing that.

• Bhazor says:

The lens glares seem to represent loot or possibly experience points. Watch the video I linked to above to see the lens flares mid battle.

16. outoffeelinsobad says:

In a world…

17. Christopher says:

The trailer for this was far removed from what I thought it would be. The graphics are much shinier than I anticipated and the gameplay is far more removed from the original DS than I would like. I agree with Sidorovich on every point, although the shaky cam gameplay video showed there might be room enough for enjoyable co-op play.

Still, where are my packmules?

Comment on this story