Lightwait: Torchlight 2 Delayed To July

By Quintin Smith on February 9th, 2011 at 5:07 pm.

'I've got a bone to pick with you.' 'I pick this bone.' 'Okay.'

The sequel to shimmeringly competent action RPG Torchlight is going to take a little longer than expected to achieve its predecessor’s blinding polish, Runic CEO Max Schaefer has told Digital Spy. Rather than arriving in May or June it’s now scheduled for July, and do you know what? It’s none other than the fiendish console toyboxes that are to blame.

Here’s what Schaefer had to say-

“I’d say that the Xbox project, having to do the extra work with the interface, has pushed us back a little bit, so we’re probably talking July right now for Torchlight II.”

Max, you fiend! This series started on PC! Oh, how quick you are to abandon the platform that gave you your start! For shame, Max Schaefer! For shame, you rotten and cackling son of a lady of the night! Readers, visualise, if you will, Max Schaefer’s mother. See how she is speckled with warts and boils, like barnacles upon a whale. Do you have anything else to say for yourself, Max?

“It’s going great, however. We’ve actually got some optimisations and technical improvements that went into making the Xbox version that we’ve been able to go back and implement into Torchlight II for PC.”

I… ah. Well, I guess that’s OK. Sorry. Sorry I said that stuff about your mother being a whale. I’ll just post the Torchlight 2 trailer again, shall I? And I’ll remind our readers that Torchlight II will have co-op, a new interface, four classes and new overworld areas, as well as lots of other improvements. And we’ll just call it even? Okay, Max? Sorry.

, .

1. Zeno says:

While I’m very excited for Torchlight 2, I’m going to take this opportunity to bitch about the fact that Torchlight 1 should have had co-op.

daphne says:

Looking forward to this, though I’ll definitely wait for a Steam sale before committing to a purchase, if the first game is any indication. I’m one of those rather hapless that bought it for the pre-order price… yeah, double digits. Though I’m happy for the support.

• subedii says:

If companies have learned anything over the past year it’s this:

People will pre-order it, if you throw in exclusive hats.

drewski says:

Considering I paid $5 for Torchlight, and have racked up over 200 hours in it, I kind of feel obligated to give them lots of monies for T2, even if I know it’ll be discounted later.

3. Fumarole says:

Co-op Torchlight will eat my summer.

4. man-eater chimp says:

Like Magicka but working on my PC, Huzzah!

• Creeping Death says:

Tried Magicka lately? They are still updating it daily

5. Zaboomafoozarg says:

Consoles Ruin Gaming.

6. Qjuad says:

Also looking forward this, though I hope it provides more of a challenge. Even on the hardest difficulty, Torchlight was ridiculously easy.

7. YanDaik says:

and this are bad news :(

8. Stevostin says:

I am surprised how ugly the exteriors are. Music’s still a blast, thus.

9. mkultra says:

Just one of many delays we are going to be seeing this year.

10. Jumwa says:

I plan on pulling my partner in for endless co-op fun. I got her Torchlight, but she’s not big into single-player games without me.

11. Jeremy says:

I kinda like the outdoor environments myself. I’m guessing when viewed in a higher res, they’re much better too.

12. Shazbut says:

Great headline

• luckystriker says:

Indeed, and not for the first time. Should the RPS guys ever want out of the gaming industry, a lucrative career awaits them in either advertising or tabloid journalism..

13. Icarus says:

No ‘what a shame’ yet?

14. Centy says:

While it’s irritating to have the PC game delayed so the console peasants can play the original I suppose it’s ok. I’m looking forward to the game but March – May is looking bloody busy for games anyway so the delay is probably going to work out well unless they time it poorly with the Steam summer sale then a full priced game isn’t going to look quite so appealing.

15. Bureaucrat says:

Creates a little more breathing space for Dungeon Siege III, which seems pretty similar and I think is planned for late May.

16. karry says:

Meh. I predict that it will be even worse than the first one. Which will be hard, but Runic will try.

17. Urthman says:

How the heck are they doing the controls on a console? Are they turning Torchlight into a dual-stick shooter like Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light?

• Veracity says:

WASD (but wif a stick, obviously) and no aiming cursors, ever, so they say. Potion spam buttons autoselect “best” type if you have more than one (remains to be seen whether all users agree). Short-range attacks move you forward a bit. Long-range attacks go wherever your little (wo)man is facing. Dunno if they have some compensatory auto-aim on that, but wouldn’t be surprised. Non-action bits of interface apparently rejiggered entirely to make sense on peasant controllers.

I’m glad they’re doing this and hope it sells, though with it being common knowledge “Same Game: Co-op Edition” is on the horizon and they’ll port it, too, given half a chance, it’s surely risky to release now. Apologies for the heresy, but I don’t think there’s any good reason loot piƱata games can’t work on consoles just because they can’t be controlled identically. Listening to a lot of people you’d think Champions of Norrath and the fifty-seven or so Snowblind games identical to it never happened. More recently, Sacred 2 worked (as much as it ever did) with a console control scheme, though I think that might’ve had aiming cursors for ranged stuff. Also supported WASD & mouse rather than click to everything on PC.

• DrGonzo says:

I would much rather have the pc version control like that. Torchlight was just mindless clicking on bad guys. But add in Wasd controls and aiming with the mouse and it would be a lot more fun I think.

18. Tei says:

It needs more torches so the creepers don’t spawn.

19. dr.castle says:

So it’s OK to release your game on consoles, then spend months “porting” the game to the PC without a definite release date, then put out a carbon-copy of the console version (see Trine, Darksiders, etc etc)…but it’s not OK to release your game on the PC a month before its released on consoles, even when it’s finished and ready to go? Is there some secret rule that it is absolutely, positively not acceptable to release a game on PC before it’s released on consoles?

I wonder if the underlying cause is the same as that which is keeping PC-ready XBLA games like Limbo from being released for PC. Although I can’t really find any concrete information on why Limbo isn’t on PC, there’s obviously something going on when there’s so much easy money left on the table.

Oh well. Let’s just blame piracy.

• mandrill says:

I think you’ll find that its written into the licensing contracts that must be signed if you want to release a game on a console. Being the closed systems that they are, MS and Sony keep tight control of what you can do with the game that you’ve made and there are more often than not exclusivity clauses in a lot of these contracts. They want people to buy it on the console (because they get a cut) so they don’t want it being released on a competitor’s hardware (esp PC. because a lot of people who own consoles also own a PC, for doing ‘homework’) God forbid that a console gamer should discover the wonderful world of PC gaming by buying a game for their PC when it will be coming out on their toybox a month or so later.

• dr.castle says:

Yeah, a licensing agreement seems like the only possible reason developers wouldn’t go ahead and release their XBLA games on PC. Being a fan of the indie scene, it hurts to not be able to play games like Limbo and Fez, especially knowing they were initially developed for PC. It’s too bad MS doesn’t release these games on PC exclusively via GFWL as well–it’d be openly shameless, and I wouldn’t enjoy supporting it, but I’d also really like to play them.

20. Ergates_Antius says:

Co-op?

Bastards!

Might as well just inject crack straight into our brains…

21. Kryopsis says:

Runic should be careful not to release Torchlight 2 too close to Diablo III. Even at a third of the price (presumably), it is unlikely that Torchlight 2 would do well in a contest between the two.

• Eversor says:

I would disagree. Running my eyes across the list of features, Torchlight 2 actually seems much superior, because of LAN function alone. It will do fine. I certainly know which one I would buy first, even if they came out in the same day.

• Xocrates says:

This is a thought I entertained earlier today. While there’s fat chance in hell that Torchlight 2 would make a dent in Diablo 3 sales, I actually wonder if Torchlight could actually benefit from being released close to Diablo.

Think about it, Diablo 3 raises awareness for the genre, and there lies a (hopefully) good game at fraction of the cost, made by the folks who created Diablo in the first place. It’s David Vs Golias where David is Golias father.

Of course, realistically, I doubt that would happen. But either way at this point is rather unlikely that Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 have similar release dates.

22. Pointless Puppies says:

This is kind of unrelated to Torchlight 2, but can anyone explain to me why in the world an Xbox 360 port is even being made?

Not only is this a Diablo-type game (which works best on PC hands down mostly due to the UI), but it’s also a very low-powered one at that. Hell, the game even has a netbook mode. “My PC can’t run it” is no excuse. Neither is the “my friends are all getting it on 360″ because the game has no online.

There’s literally no reason to play this game on the 360, unless of course for the people who somehow refuse to pay any game on a PC (which is sadly the vast majority).

• Xocrates says:

Money is money regardless of where it came from. The fact that a lot of people prefer to play on consoles (and may or may not have a PC they’re “allowed” to play on depending on age and occupation) may be enough to justify attempting a port.

Whether it goes down well or not is a different question.

Down Rodeo says:

The Schaefers, they’re all the bloody same.

24. Duoae says:

You know…. i think i prefer Quintin to the original people on this site. In fact i enjoy his writing and posting so much that i’m not sure i can even remember their names… Joan Walters, Jamie Rossigbol, Alan Meer had all better watch out! He’s taking over!

• MD says:

I’m pretty sure one of them was called Jom Rissignol. No idea about the other two, though.

25. Bassem says:

Ah, Torchlight. Not having played Diablo, I quite liked this one, especially the music. But DAMN did it require a lot of clicking. Clicking click click. I eventually remapped some keyboard keys to serve as the mouse buttons. That helped a lot.

Please, Runic Games, don’t make me click for every bullet in Torchlight 2. Let me hold down the mouse button to keep firing. My wrist will thank you.

26. wicked_weasle says:

Sorry but torchlight 2 is NOT COMING IN JULY. Recently i have learned that Torchlight 2 has a booth at PAX East convention 2011 which happens to be at the very end of august. THis basically tells me they wont be releasing till at least september or october. if you would like to express your hate for this atrocity go here: