True Crime: Hong Kong Will Not See Release

By Jim Rossignol on February 9th, 2011 at 10:22 pm.

Hong Kong Swan Song
While rather less notable than TV fun-box expansion controller Guitar Hero being ended by Activision, it does seem a shame that True Crime: Hong Kong will never see the light of day. The city-based open world actioner has been canned by the publisher due to it not being deemed competitive with other open-world action games. We’d not seen much of it, admittedly, but one less open world game is a sad thing, in my book. Even if it did end up being a bit nob. (And yes, it was slated for PC.)

Sleep well, lost game. We never knew thee.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Navagon says:

That’s a shame. It was looking more interesting than its direct competition.

2. patricij says:

True Crime 1 was generally perceived as generally kind of meh, but I happened to review it and I found it quite good actually….the shooting and driving around bits anyway, I quite enjoyed being the cop..

3. vash47 says:

What a shame.

4. Teddy Leach says:

I rather enjoyed the first game.

5. SirKicksalot says:

Man, this project was a complete disaster. It started at Treyarch as an original and pretty different IP, then Activision gave it to United Front and turned it into a sequel.
    I wonder how much was spent on it.

• circadianwolf says:

Yeah, wasn’t this the game from the “Activation says girl characters don’t sell” story, where the game’s protagonist was changed to a man after (manipulated) focus tests?

6. 7rigger says:

I quite liked the first one, but didn’t really enjoy the second. Why aren’t there more games like this where you play cop?

7. Navagon says:

Place your bets on how much life Activision has left in it.

• Chris D says:

I suspect that until someone drives a stake through it’s heart, cuts off the head, burns the body and buries the ashes in consecrated ground, Activision will probably rise again.

• Navagon says:

Or it could live on like Interplay – in a cardboard box in a back alley some place…

• BAshment says:

Remember when EA was the big bad good times.

8. Bhazor says:

Canceled you say? Why that’s a True Crime alright.

• Maltose says:

I see what you did thar. Actually, you beat me to it. :’(

9. phenom_x8 says:

Never play the first but quite enjoy the second one!
    I’d love making people get out of their car by shooting in the air (even GTA 4 can’t do that). Feels like hollywood!

10. Tei says:

The world will probably use more and better open fps games.
    But he! Maybe acti is moving to something else like baby seal culling, now that is stopping to make gamez

11. Moraven says:

These 500 layoffs are after reporting Record Revenue, better than expected profits . Basically Activision has become a one franchise publisher, CoD, with Blizzard and (in the future) Bungie to make them look like they did something right.

“Despite ending development on its popular Guitar Hero franchise, Activision Blizzard announced it was the number one publisher in North America and Europe in 2010. ”

Lol

• kwyjibo says:

Not record revenues. Better than 2009, worse than 2008.

• battles_atlas says:

Thats how the game works. Aging, irrelevant behemonths using their acculmulated wealth to buy up the young talent and feeding off their output. See Disney > Pixar, AOL > Huffington Post.

12. kwyjibo says:

It’s good that Activision finally have some quality control. But I’m disappointed that we won’t get a Hong Kong roam ‘em up, it’s a really interesting city, lots of variety and has a rich culture to mine. Here’s hoping another team picks up the bat.

13. DOLBYdigital says:

I actually liked the first game. It had very solid shooting, driving, fighting and shooting while driving mechanics. It also allowed you to arrest people and search them if I remember and learn new moves at dojos. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am hearing this is gone especially when it was coming to PC :(

14. outoffeelinsobad says:

I mask my dismay, else my tears might drown the world.

15. Delusibeta says:

So, how many franchises have Activision left? Tony Hawk (assuming that doesn’t follow Guitar Hero in getting killed off [EDIT] Scratch that, they just announced that it is indeed following Guitar Hero), Call of Duty and the Bond games (which they don’t bother to advertise). If Call of Duty crumbles before Bungie can release their game, Activision is screwed.