Want Diablo 3 Screens? Get On Facebook

By Quintin Smith on February 9th, 2011 at 6:06 pm.

After two and a half years of gobbling niblets of information on Diablo III from Blizzard’s outstretched hand, I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s started to get a little aggravated. Why the need for this opaque development? Why can’t they estimate a release date? We still don’t know. But here’s something new- as of this week Blizzard has announced that for each 25,000 additional likes the Diablo III Facebook page gets (it was on some 550,000 at the time of the announcement) they’ll release one screenshot or piece of artwork. One. Here‘s the latest. Tell you what, Blizzard. If 1,000 Diablo fans mail you a kidney in a brown envelope, will you actually release the game? No? OK. If you need me I’ll be over here, “liking” games which I can actually play.

, , .

1. DJ Phantoon says:

I too, like games that I can play, as opposed to those I cannot. I may end up hating Skyrim! Then I’d sure feel silly if I had gone around telling people I liked it.

2. Nick says:

Desperate.

Your turn.

3. Quasar says:

I don’t even want to think about the processes involved in maleing a kidney.

4. amandachen says:

Demand for Diablo III rises by ten percent each year, and now the whole galaxy wants it.

5. westyfield says:

Fuck that.

6. k37chup says:

Another facebook promotion bs. Pffff

7. utharda says:

I hate facebook, so no.

• KauhuK says:

I dont have facebook account and never will. It’s not about hate but more of a personal matter.

• gwathdring says:

I had one for a while, but deleted it when I realized it was really boring if you stayed away from the more ridiculous and melodramatic citizens of Facebook. I also got kind of weirded out by all the people I didn’t know or barely recognized who wanted to be my Friend. And then there’s the whole data mining mess.

• Teddy Leach says:

I have one but I hate it and never use it. It makes me feel ill.

• Urael says:

You prissy little hipsters.

• jrod says:

i used to hate facebook, but then it became a hub of communication for ALL of my real friends so I was forced into it. I hate it less now, but I make sure that all of my “friends” are actually real friends. But I digress – no way i am going to like this.

• Dave says:

I hate phonebooks. They’re full of numbers I never call. I recently made an unpleasant discovery: my phone number is in there too! Talk about invasion of privacy! So I burned my phonebook, and life has never been better.

• Memph says:

Use facebook?
      To quote Arnold Judas Rimmer:
      ‘I’d rather smear my genitalia with fish-paste and dangle them over a pool of hungry piranha’.

• Thants says:

I hate things that are popular as well.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

You know what’s a good place to post about things you’re not doing?

… That’s right. Myspace.

• Berzee says:

“You prissy little hipsters.”

8. gwathdring says:

Did they cut a deal with Facebook, or do they just figure anyone worth anything is on Facebook? Either way, I’m a little confused.

• Mist says:

Would be a weird assumption. Depending on when this is released, I’m going to buy it for full price, or maybe wait for some half-price promotion if I have other games to play… yet I don’t have a Facebook account and aren’t going to make one. Oh well.

edit: oh, at least you can still see the released images without a facebook account. So that’s ok I guess.

dhex says:

my theory is that they know d3 will have a fair amount of crossover appeal (spillover from wow, etc etc) and they also know a great deal of people, especially sub-25 years of age, do most of their “digital living” as it were via facebook and mobile devices.

it’s not entirely crazy, just mildly inconvenient for those of us who aren’t facebookians.

• iniudan says:

@Mist I wish you good luck on waiting for an half price promotion considering that Diablo II with the expension still sell for 40 buck around here. (game that old would normaly be in the 5$ bargain bin)

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

“Did they cut a deal with Facebook…?”

Yes, this! I mean, jesus! What the hell does facebook have to do with anything?

• Jeremy says:

The brilliant thing is, we can “Like” this article… on Facebook. Is that irony, or just simply poetic?

But in a real sense… Facebook provides free advertising that is also risk free. If people don’t “Like” it, it wouldn’t change anything, it’s just another sector where they can preview their product. In the end, they’ll force the world to create more money, so the world can buy Diablo 3, so that Blizzard can continue to have all of it.

9. Spinoza says:

you broke my heart

10. Doesntmeananything says:

It kind of scares me that Facebook is increasingly becoming such, um, a big deal in the gaming community. Though I think that it just profitable in some way, I just don’t know how.

• karry says:

Thats only USian community.

• royaltyinexile says:

Getting your media anywhere near ‘big’ gaming portals like, say, IGN is nearly impossible without paying a PR firm cash. Our company released two products and didn’t get a sniffter of coverage.

Hell, even our RPS coverage is soon buried (under a mountain of Deux Ex reports;p)

Facebook is free, and it’s instant. It’s also massively viral. And that’s not *just* bullshit marketing junk, either. If one of my ‘friends’ ‘likes’ something I’ve never heard of, it’ll likely appear on my feed – depending on the privacy settings – hell, maybe I’ll just click through to see what all the fuss is about…

I agree it isn’t and shouldn’t be the be all and end all, but today – particularly for smaller developers with no massive marketing machine driving them – you need to leverage a range of outlets, and that includes FB.

11. Urael says:

Beginning to worry about you, Quinns. Snarking at Skyrim earlier today, and now venting at The Blizz…you been taking those iron tablets?

12. Barnaby says:

Would be awesome if Blizzard found a new publisher so I could stop despising them.

Would be nice to see a poll of how many people would not buy Diablo 3 because of Activision. I feel like the numbers for people who would not buy the game would be painfully low. None of my gaming friends avoided SC2 and I still get griefed about not buying it almost everyday.

• mkultra says:

Because the majority of gamers don’t even know the difference between a publisher and a developer. They just want their game.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I’m not buying Diablo 3 because of Vivendi, not Activision.

• Sigh says:

Who is Activision?

skalpadda says:

Activision doesn’t publish Blizzard Entertainment games, Blizzard Entertainment does.

• Jeremy says:

I understand the whole “principle of the thing” idea, but it really doesn’t make sense to me to not buy a Blizzard game because they live in the same “house” as Activision. I’m not Romeo, and Blizzard isn’t Juliet.

However, if that were the case… I would still partake in the forbidden love.

13. Hangedman says:

Want Diablo 3 Screens? Print out Diablo 2 Screens, hold them at arm’s length, and squint a bit

14. Vinraith says:

We need a term for this idiotic new trend in marketing. I suggest “social media extortion.”

15. haircute says:

Dang it Blizz come on!

16. neolith says:

Facebook can bite my shiny metal ass.

Nero says:

Here we go..

What a shame.

18. Icarus says:

Fuck Facebook.

19. Jeremy says:

I have Facebook, it’s convenient and easy to use. I like friends.

20. bwion says:

So, they’ll only advertise their game if we beg them to?

I can see absolutely no flaws whatsoever with this plan.

21. Davie says:

They’re just trolling us now. “You are slaves to the hype machine, customer-creatures! We have the ability to make you sign up with a privacy-invading service and give them all your personal information simply so you can press an arbitrary thumbs-up symbol! And then give us free publicity by telling all your friends to do it too! Ohoho, the power at our disposal!”

• Thants says:

You don’t have to give them all your personal information, you know.

22. Hoaxfish says:

I don’t really get why they’re “only” putting their advertising on Facebook.. sure, Facebook is a good way to fast track info to your fanbase on facebook, but what about people who simply are busy, or don’t use facebook (and given the target audience I think a decent percentage of that audience don’t have much interest in checking their facebook regularly)

23. Teddy Leach says:

I’d prefer a demo to some generic screenshots, but that’s just me. Gee, does anyone else remember demos? I think they were way back when, back in the days publishers thought it wasn’t enough just to spam you with pictures and trailers.

• The Hammer says:

Starcraft 2 has a demo, Teddy, and WOW has a variety of free trials available.

Uh, and Diablo III is -how- many months away? How many demos do you know of that were released almost a year before the finished game…?

• Teddy Leach says:

I was being sarcastic, although that’s difficult to pick up from text.

24. Navagon says:

What’s their next amazing idea going to be? Pull their finger to get the fragrance of a genuine Blizzard? This is just lazy egotism exploiting their fan base for some light amusement while they contemplate probably actually working on something at some point then laugh at the absurdity of the idea.

• Jeremy says:

To me, it’s similar to the concept of going to an event, and rewarding whichever section cheers the loudest with a few cheap t shirts. They already know we like the (team,band,etc.) but they still want to get a reaction out of us, and it’s sort of supposed to be a fun thing. It works; we all freak out and jump around like apes just to get a free t-shirt because.. hey, it’s free, why not.

In short, I don’t really think there is anything sinister lurking beneath.

• Navagon says:

Not sinister, no. But to me it seems like they’re playing god. No, not taking the destiny of mankind into their own hands. I’m talking about the ‘real’, lazy, egotistical God most people worship.

“You mortals busy yourselves lavishing praise upon me and in return I may or may not offer some obscure token of my having done something at some point. It won’t be what you’re really after, but it will give you some hope that such things might one day be available to you”.

• Jeremy says:

I am beginning to suspect that your problem doesn’t involve anything gaming related.

25. Radiant says:

What exactly are they doing to the game?
    It’s Diablo they’re not exactly making sub atomic fusion.

26. pupsikaso says:

The f*ck… ?

27. Shiny says:

Screenshots are so 1990s. I’ll be interested in Diablo 3 when it comes out, which is still sooner than I am interested in most games (i.e., when they are at least 50% off on Steam).

28. patricij says:

DO NOT WANT.
    *flame* Diablo 1 is still better than Diablo 2 in my book *flame put out*

29. Jad says:

So, I know that this is not PC related, blah blah, but:

Recently I got an iPod Touch, and have been following the iOS gaming scene on sites like TouchArcade, etc. It is so refreshing how little pre-release hype there is and how short the time is between announcement of a game and its release.

EA just released a Dead Space spin-off game. It has been very popular and is one of the more high-profile iOS releases recently.

I looked through TouchArcade’s archives, and this is all there was: In Oct 14th 2010 there were vague rumors that there would be a Dead Space iOS game. Dec 24th there was a hands-on article about the game. Jan 4th 2011 some screenshots. Then on January 18th there was a teaser trailer and the official press release. Then on January 25th the game was released.

And that’s actually somewhat unusually long. You rarely even hear rumors about an iPhone game more than a month before release.

It’s so nice to read about a cool game for the first time and then reach the end of the article to find it saying “out next week”. Incredibly refreshing.

30. Lilliput King says:

I’m not averse to the concept, but I’m a little puzzled as to why we should care about screenshots at this stage. We’ve seen big friggin’ videos and the like.

31. rocketman71 says:

Don’t want.

Damn, Torchlight 2 delayed. Now THAT I do want.

• Thants says:

Seeing how Torchlight is a hugely simplified Diablo 2 (with an improved interface), I don’t see how Torchlight 2 is going to be better than Diablo 3.

32. TitusCrow says:

I want Diablo 3, we all do, but I have long since stopped reading about it or anything to do with it for about a year now. I’ll order it for day 1 and play it loads till I know when its coming out I couldn’t give a rats ass what they release about it – unless its the release date.! !

33. Fathom says:

I remember back when I thought summer 2011 would be the latest they would release Diablo 3. Now summer 2012 is looking more likely.

34. TooNu says:

Human Revolution will be the game of the year anyway.

Also for every 25,000 tugs I get from pretty ladies I will learn to knit an item of clothing.

35. mda says:

I don’t get why people are surprised that they advertise on facebook. It’s a HUGE social network. Free advertising… hello?

36. bonjovi says:

Face book is definitely good way to advertise anything to the masses, but i always though blizzard had a different approach. for some reason I was convinced that blizzard wanted to appeal to the hard core gamers and win their approval, and make the game accessible so others can follow. I guess that’s changed, or even worse was never true.

• Urael says:

What an elitist viewpoint, both in your assumptions about the kinds of people that use Facebook and in the audience Blizzard are supposed to be courting. What’s the matter, don’t you feel special any more?

37. Dances to Podcasts says: