Crysis 2′s Nanosuit Has Surprising Features

By Jim Rossignol on February 10th, 2011 at 9:37 pm.

Men. They get shot
CryTek are revamping the “Nanosuit Showroom” thing on their website, rightly surmising that the clever battlesuit is the best thing that Crysis has going for it. There’s not much there at the moment, to be honest, but to tie in with this there’s another multiplayer focused trailer (posted below) that talks up the features of the suit in the online game. There’s lots of detail on the specialisations for the suit, which is the game’s take on unlocks, but the sheer range of enhancement modules detailed in this trailer is surprising, and made me raise my eyebrows and say “that’s surprising.” There’s also lots of footage of combat, and I think this is best look at the maps we’ve had so far. So go take a look at the trailer, and listen to the pleased-sounding salesman voice explaining to you why there are so many cupholders in that new nanosuit you just bought into.

Thanks to Blues for the video link, and also for the news that Crysis 2 will have dedicated servers. Because those lazy, feckless undedicated servers were no use to anyone.

, , .

1. rubberpants says:

“Your enemies will learn to respect your suit.” That hurt me really bad just now.

2. Dlarit says:

Looks impressive where can i buy one?

3. CoyoteTheClever says:

Where are the friendly bullet points on the things that are surprising? :(

4. Superterranean says:

So, are the unlockables useless, so they don’t influence gameplay over-much and make it impossible to advance – or are they powerful, so playing on a server with someone who has unlocks means you never, ever advance yourself?

• Jim Rossignol says:

They’re imaginary, so you are just – for example – instructed to make “pew, pew” sound when you are playing, to enhance the experience.

• Dood says:

Mabe they’re balanced…

• dsi1 says:

If you played the demo you’d know that, while it wasn’t perfectly finely tuned yet, (proximity alert was way to easy to use when upgraded fully) there was a very good case to use every module in it, though you’ll likely find your favorites that suit your playing style and stick with them. (Enhanced armor, Silent Stealth, and More Accurate ADS for me)

• gwathdring says:

@Jim
      That sounds kind of awesome.

• 12kill4 says:

In the future, man will construct machines so complex and advanced that through their solitary, yet ultimate purpose they will change the shape of the world forever… they will make the ‘Pew Pew’ noises for you.

• torchedEARTH says:

Imagine a game that only unlocked new abilities for the bottom n players every match.

Look at me! I’m awesome! I’m still using the default pistol.

Look at me! I’ve become awesome! I use the megawatt obliterator because the game is balanced.

…also, while I’m here. How hard would it be to have MP maps that are made up of 16 (for example) interchangeable modules that could be randomly swapped around?

5. Zern says:

Inexplicably, the page is not accessible for anyone 100 years old or older.

6. Messiah Complex says:

It seems if you’ve played any of the last four Call of Duties, you’ve already played Crysis 2.

• Optimaximal says:

• Jim Rossignol says:

But you can kick cars at people! Oh, wait, no. You can only shoot people.

• dsi1 says:

People really should have played the 360 demo if they thought it was going to be CoD:Sci-Fi, luckily there’ll be another chance for you with the PC demo.

• ANeM says:

“Truthfully, I don’t remember being able to run impossibly fast, throw bad guys or turn invisible in any Call of Duty game.”

Really? I seem to recall running impossibly fast and blasting people away with dual wielded shotguns and/or knives was pretty big in MW2 multiplayer. :(

• Bhazor says:

So in your world two shotguns is the same as being invisible and a short sprint is impossibly fast? Weird.

Also heres a Crysis vs Modern Warfare comparison

7. Brumisator says:

I wish Billy Mays wasn’t dead. He would have been so much better as an over-the-top salesman for this.

the nanosuit is sci-fi silliness! why is the salesperson trying to be so serious and gritty?

8. cyberninja says:

Do they still have vehicles in crysis 2 multiplayer?

As that was one of my favourite things about the original, and the main reason I bought BBC2.

9. GenBanks says:

Did anyone else find it really weird the way the guy in the video pronounces ‘influences’?
    Never heard it pronounced that way before…

10. ReV_VAdAUL says:

With the L.A. Noire trailer yesterday and this one today is it suddenly fashionable to have long, fourth wall breaking and questionably narrated trailers about new games?

11. doktorfisch says:

Serious now – how are upgrades like steady aim, sleight of hand and sitrep “revolutionary”?

12. vader says:

pleased-sounding salesman voice sounds like a gillette razor commercial.

13. Lambchops says:

Jim, have you possibly engaged the suit power up of “hidden hip flask full of whiskey?”

14. Lord_Mordja says:

I love the nanosuit. It’s so bad.

15. mkultra says:

Sellout Sally aside, this looks pretty. And good. Pretty good.

16. Inglourious Badger says:

What is all this demo talk? Have I missed something? I want to play!

17. Unfair says:

That voiceover was the perfect amount of swagger+ambivalence, gave me a good chuckle. This is the voice of a dude that just kicked your ass in the game and didn’t even break a sweat, as if you were his personal yo-yo.

18. JeCa says:

And still all I can think of is: “Hey, maybe I should boot up Dystopia again”.

19. Bhazor says:

Look at that shit!
    Straight up beastin’.

They oughta release a patch to stop this beast.

20. PleasingFungus says:

Rossignol, you are on fire in this comments thread.

I stand in mild awe.

21. Angel Dust says:

Partial Nudity?

• Guiscard says:

Nanosuit soldiers don’t wear underwear?

• gwathdring says:

I was wondering about that too …. I was awfully befuddled.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Taking a tip from Bayonetta, continued use of suit powers will cause the nanosuits to begin strategically exposing the sweaty soldiers encased within.

• Miked says:

NAKED ALIENS!

22. Vandelay says:

I know there was quite a lot of negativity around the last multiplayer trailer, but this looks like a lot of fun to me.

I’ve only just been playing Crysis 1 for the first time in the last week and I must say it is rather excellent*. I have my doubts about whether the city based single player campaign of Crysis 2 will be able to compete with the island of Crysis 1 (lack of any real gameplay footage ain’t helping,) but I can see the multiplayer as being like the fast paced PC FPSs of old. One of my favourite things in the original game is to switch to speed mode of the suit and to dash around the soldiers like a loon, picking them off one by one with the shotgun, darting in out of the undergrowth. That speed and energy has been lacking in so many multiplayer shooters of the last few years that it would be nice to see something bring it back, even if it is only for players with particular unlocks.

*I’m at the bit where you have to destroy the AA guns on the harbour. Does it turn shit soon?

• Unfair says:

As much as I love the trailers, I thought Crysis1 left a lot to be desired. Conceptually it’s good, but I think I stopped right after you get airlifted to meet up with the other soldiers (about where you are) – I couldn’t stand the inaccuracy of the guns at range, and the number of bullets you have to pump into basically unarmored soldiers to kill them. I shouldn’t need multiple shots to the face from 5ft away to kill a guy.

I’m not saying it’s a terrible game, but I wouldn’t exactly put it in the “good” category, at least on a gameplay level.

• Bhazor says:

“I couldn’t stand the inaccuracy of the guns at range, and the number of bullets you have to pump into basically unarmored soldiers to kill them. I shouldn’t need multiple shots to the face from 5ft away to kill a guy.”
      Good job that didn’t actually happen then isn’t it? The only humans that needed multiple head shots were the nanosuited guards. As for the inaccuracy at range that’s the reason scoped weapons exist.

“Your comment about the undergrowth also brings back another complaint – the AI seems to be able to see you through bushes when you can’t see them.”
      They really can’t. In fact one of my favourite memories of the was essentially reenacting that part in the ghillied up mission from COD 4 where a platoon of troops practically walked over me as I lay prone and uncloaked in patch of thick brush. Then once my battery recharged I switched to strength grabbed the last guy in the line and through through three of his buddies and into a tree that fell on top of them.

The only way they’ll know you’re hiding in the brush is if they see you hide where they’ll send out a search party, see you shoot where they’ll shoot at the muzzle flash or if see the bush move above you.

• Vandelay says:

Also not sure about enemies being able to see you through bushes. Certainly not been my experience. In fact, one of the things that impressed me was that they couldn’t, when most games they can.

I would really recommend giving it another ago, putting it on hard/delta difficulty and playing around with the suit powers. It offers a wide range of ways to play the game. I had only previously played Warhead and only really bought Crysis due to having a new PC, but I have been amazed at just how good it is (and by how much Warhead is inferior.)

I really hope the aliens don’t turn up too soon though.

• Commisar says:

No, it gets better. Crysis is a damn good FPS. I just hope I can run Crysis 2 on high. I got a 1GB 4870

• Bhazor says:

I actually really liked the alien sequences. Their freeze weapons were always cool (ha bloody ha) and some of the space ship sections are just amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQCqzY4J4C4. It’s easy to see where the zero g sections of Dead Space come from.

The aliens themselves, mmmmm eh. Certainly not as much fun to fight as the Koreans and theres far too many of the tiny bastards doing hit and run attacks. The main problem for was that the Koreans just felt more cohesive. Sending in reinforcements, setting up search parties, interconnected check points and bases and so on that when the aliens just swoop in it feels like came from nowhere. To me they just felt artificial. They looked great mind and the big fellas were great but sadly it’s the tiny sods you see the most of.

• wengart says:

I once played through the first and second level using melee attacks only. No other game has captured how it would feel to be a Predator better than Crysis.

Also i quite enjoyed the game up until after the spaceship section.

23. Skusey says:

That looks like a game with guns in it that I will play. And hopefully, enjoy.

24. rocketman71 says:

Dedicated servers like BC2?. Or TRUE dedicated servers?. Because if it’s the former, Crytek is going to get from me the same amount of money that DICE did: zero.

25. GHudston says:

I’m not entirely sure why but I just don’t seem to be able to summon up any enthusiasm for Crysis at all. The only reason I even own the first one is because EA would only offer me a replacement game when APB died and I owned literally every other game in their library worth playing.

It was very, VERY pretty, that was about it.

26. Kryopsis says:

Hybrid? Classy!

27. zkylon says:

The guy sounds like Stan from Monkey Island…

• dhex says:

he sounds a bit like he’s doing this under duress, or as a favor to someone he doesn’t really like but owes a medium-sized favor to.

28. Grey says:

MAXIMUM similarity!

29. geldonyetich says:

Your nanosuit will grant you an incredible advantage over all the other players (who are wearing nanosuits just like yours, plus or minus a few customizations).

30. Hatsworth says:

This is god damn terrible. How about instead of grinding to get an advantage people played on a level playing field and increased their actual skill?

31. kyrieee says:

Oh god, this voice over is terrible

32. BrendanJB says:

I swear this dude did your Commander’s voice in the Starship Troopers game – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luI30nimxY#t=01m32s

33. mda says:

It’s very Call of Duty: Modern Suit Edition in the rank system… but while some of the perks are the same as CoD’s, the rest look like they could make it a more exciting / interesting multiplayer… fast paced yet tactical I’m hoping!

*waits for PC demo*

34. Deadpool46 says:

*Sigh*. Still not showing or promoting the PC version.

Contrast that to how DICE are talking up BF3 on PC, and I wonder if CryTek are only focussed on succeeding on consoles.

35. brkl says:

Leveling has ruined online shooters. I don’t want to play 40 hours just to finally have the tools and options I should have had from the start.

36. elmuerte says:

Teal & Orange!!!

Not going to buy this game.