Mod News: Stalky-Stalky

By Lewis Denby on February 10th, 2011 at 8:39 am.

I’ve ranted about Stalker mods in this column before. The tools are now all out there! Stop just tweaking mechanics and updating the visuals! Make some new games for us to play. Finally, someone has listened to my cries. Who? Find out beyond the jump.

NEWS
So yeah, here we go. A total conversion for Call of Pripyat. It’s called Return to the Shadows, and it’ll be filled with new locations, a new story, a completely different interfaces and a bunch of other stuff. The devs say they’re looking primarily to the original game in terms of atmosphere, which presumably means it’s going more down the horror route than the feel of being lost in a wartorn environment, which the second and third games seemed to edge towards. Here’s a big post of things.

That Resident Evil Mod for Deus Ex has been new-newsified this week. Updates have been fairly thin of late, but things are apparently still trudging onwards. The team is developing a Deus Ex survival mode in order to prototype some things, but they’ve also been working on the user interface, new weapons, and other such stuff. Have a click of that link for the full details.

And there are some new gameplay clips from Left 4 Dead 2 mod Drop Dead Gorges. It’s “a harrowing three-map versus campaign” according to the ModDB page, though there aren’t many more other details yet. Still, the footage demonstrates the style of play a little. Take a look.

What else? An Amnesia mod! Siege is a prequel of sorts to the mother game, which adds new levels and fully-voiced characters. Seems like the developer of this one is thinking carefully about the design: beyond this link, he speaks a little bit about puzzle design and the approach he’s taking. Also, screenshots!

Finally, a Half-Life 2: Episode 2 mod that caught my attention due to a single screenshot, which is below. It’s just a really nicely constructed, gritty scene. The mod itself is an “experience of pure adrenaline eye candy fire fighting and roller-coaster ride,” apparently. Here’s its ModDB page.

RELEASES
Half-Life 2 single-player mod Dissolution has been released, after a two-year development period. It’s a sci-fi mod which encourages you to piece together its plot yourself, by interacting with characters, listening to audio logs, and analysing the environment. Not played it yet, but it sounds interesting. Give it a whirl, if you fancy.

There’s also Oblivion mod Dibella’s Watch, which has released an open beta. The devs are asking that people keep in mind that it’s an incomplete version of the game, released to the public to get feedback more than anything else. From the sounds of things, it’s very bare-bones – an environment to explore, a few enemies to kill, and suchlike. So there’s not much of a game yet – no quests or anything – but if you fancy grabbing it, you can do from here.

And Left 4 Dead mod I Hate Mountains, which released over the summer, now exists for Left 4 Dead 2. Its name? I Hate Mountains 2, of course. It’s pretty much a straight port, so no massive amounts of additional content for this version, but you can now play it in a different game. Since the original was brilliant, though, it’s an easy recommendation regardless.

UPDATES
Zombie Panic: Source is about to see an update. It’s been packaged up and sent to Valve, meaning it should be available via Steam very soon, if it hasn’t already by the time this is posted. There’s a full changelog, along with a whole load of new screenshots, beyond this link.

Europe 1200 for Mount & Blade Warband has seen the release of its third public beta, too. There are four new historical factions included in this version, as well as a great number of bug fixes and a handful of new features. More information, and a download, beyond the link above.

‘Til next time. And all going to plan, there’ll be some reasonably big news to report. Ooooh…

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. RagingLion says:

Dissolution sounds like the first mod in a while that I might actually try out. Should try out these L4D2 mods with friends at some point as well.

• noom says:

Me too. Downloading Dissolution now, though haven’t really tried any mods since a bit of half-arsed modding of Shadow of Chernobyl a couple years back. Something is just telling me to play this.

Edit: Hmm, well this is awkward. I have a feeling that if the screenshots section on ModDB had actually been working, my downloading of said mod may not have happened…

• DeepSleeper says:

Is there something greatly wrong with it that the screenshots would convey?

Ging says:

It looks like an HL1 mod.

The voice acting is horrific too, I came close to topping myself after listening to the endless drone of the VO during the opening “cut scene”.

• DeepSleeper says:

The visuals are very System Shock 2 to me, and I don’t mind that, so I gave it a download.

Just quit after a man asked very laborously why we, has a species, had not cured death yet.

Voice acting is not a feature. It’s a privilege. Present me with walls of text, just don’t have your best friend read it at me.

• noom says:

Yeah, I don’t want to sound like one of those “internet people”, but it’s just a bit… bad :\

Maybe the story, script, voice acting, textures, mapping and such will vastly improve later on, but I don’t think I’ll be around to find out. Fair play to the creator(s) for undertaking a large-scale mod project; I’m sure they’ve learnt a lot and may create many wonderful mods in the future, but this really is just too far to the side of amateurish for me to want to put the time into it. *shrug*

2. applecup says:

Obligatory Black Mesa comment.

Shaid says:

Obligatory Black Mesa rebuttal and inquiry into your mother’s sexual habits.

• jRides says:

Thanks Guys. First thing I look for.

tomeoftom says:

Black Mesa.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Mac and Blazer, the most fashionable combo.

• passingstranger says:

Has there been any Black Mesa news as of late? Any at all?

As it has been for the last three or so years, it continues to be my most anticipated mod.

3. dethtoll says:

Whoa whoa. Resident Evil for Deus Ex? Why didn’t anyone tell me!? I’m still mad that old zombie mod for DX from ages ago got canned (the developer switched to the Source engine AND WAS NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN.)

4. kataras says:

There s one other total conversion Mod in the works: http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-way-of-the-wolf/stats

Also some russian guy is trying to port STALKER to Cryengine2 :http://ap-pro.ru/forum/15-362-1#4921
    Not sure if I like the look, somehow it looks too clean but will definitelly give it a try.

AndrewC says:

stalkerstalkerstalkerstalkerstalkerstalkerstalkerstalker

6. hamster says:

Anyone have any idea when stalker 2009 will update to stalker 2012 and what changes have been made?

7. Mistabashi says:

“I’ve ranted about Stalker mods in this column before. The tools are now all out there! Stop just tweaking mechanics and updating the visuals! Make some new games for us to play.”

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but nothing has changed with the release of the CoP SDK (we already had SDK’s for the previous two installments). If you think Stalker’s SDK is anything like that of a commercial engine like Source or UDK then you’re in for a disappointment – it’s just a collection of very rough tools designed to get content into the game (t’s also not a flexible engine, it was never designed do anything other than Stalker). The reason you don’t see many new maps or big mods with completely new storylines is that it’s a hugely complex and time-consuming thing to do, not because the tools weren’t available.

The mod you linked to just shows some screenshots of the empty maps ported from CS, which some Russian modders made available a few months after CoP’s release (long before the SDK was released). There’s been plenty of mods before that aimed to add back some of the old maps, including some from the un-released alpha builds – of course, most of them haven’t been finished yet because of the huge amount of work involved.

Moddb isn’t the best place to be looking for Stalker mods though, most of them are never seen there. Check out the official forums at http://www.gsc-game.com or get your Google-translate on and head over to AMK’s Russian forums.

8. Severian says:

Anyone here playing any good Civ V mods right now? I see a bunch over at CivFanatics that seem interesting (Call to Power, History in the Making II, City State Diplomacy, etc.) but I’m wondering if anyone here has direct experience and can make some recommendations.

9. Atic Atac says:

So thinking about playing Pripyat again…what mods/addons are essential? It’s hard to choose from that site…there are reloeadeds and reduxes and whatnot. Any help?