The RPS Bargain Bucket: By Royal Command

By Lewie Procter on February 12th, 2011 at 1:10 pm.

It’s the weekend, time to party hard and buy cheap digital fun. Here’s your weekly guide to gaming reductions from all over the internet. Head to SavyGamer.co.uk if you fancy checking out even more discounted games.

Hitman: Bloody Money – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49
They’ve got Hitman: Codename 47 and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin for the same price too, but Blood Money seems to be the fan favourite. Jim likes it too:

Blood Money is, like all the great puzzle games, about bettering yourself. You’re not just completing the game, you’re doing so with style. Also, as if you needed another reason to go back and dig out Blood Money, there is no other game to which, while playing, you can respond to the question “what are you up to?” with the answer: “I’m waiting on the sidewalk until the clown comes out of the house. Then I’ll strangle him, put on his clothes, and put him in the boot of his own van.” At which point your girlfriend leaves your cup to tea and backs away rather too quietly. No sudden moves…

All the Tex Murphy games – £8.97/€10.60/$14.36
Includes (and individual prices):
Tex Murphy 1+2 – £2.63/€3.09/$4.19
Tex Murphy: Overseer – £4.37/€5.16/$6.99
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive – £4.37/€5.16/$6.99
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon – £4.37/€5.16/$6.99
A bunch of old pointy clickers that I haven’t played. Mr Walker has though, and he says this about the series:

You know what some people are wrong about? The Tex Murphy games. Some people are way wrong about them, because they incorrectly think that the inclusion of FMV and old fashioned adventure gaming means something is automatically bad. In fairness it’s not a poor rule to live by – it’s pretty much true otherwise. But not for Tex. The Tex Murphy games managed to both mock the corniness of the genre, while carrying a surprising emotional weight.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – £4.95/€5.85/$7.92
Registers on Steam.
This is only discounted on the UK D2D site, but luckily is available to order worldwide. D2D USA must be too busy with their “Boobies” promotion, selling PDFs of pictures of female game characters. Lara: GOL is very fun game, it’s got big balls (steady) that you can roll over the baddies, a spear that goes THWACK! and sticks in the baddies, and all coop jumping and puzzle solving action you could possibly want. Here’s wot John thinks.

Deal of the week
Gothic Bundle – £18.35/€21.68/$29.38
Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″.
Includes:
Gothic II [Gold]
Gothic 3 [Goatee Edition]
Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods
Arcania: Gothic 4
Missing the first game, but otherwise this is the full set. You can find Alec’s impressions of the most recent one here. £6 a pop for three games, two of them with expansions, seems like a great deal, especially since I’ve not yet seen ArcaniA for less than a tenner yet.

Bonus UK only deals
Dead Space 2 – £17.95
Dragon Age 2 – £19.95
I haven’t used Game Points Now, so can’t personally vouch for them, but I’ve asked around and not found anyone who’s had any trouble with them. These will likely be keys that have been gutted from retail copies, which you then activate on EA Downloader. Jim told us wot he thinks about Dead Space 2 here, and you can see 55 minutes of blury web-stream-o-vision footage of the recently gone gold Dragon Age 2 here.

Dawn of War II: Retribution – £19.99/€29.95/$29.95
Whilst this offer is available to everyone, it’s only much use to UK people. The Steam price for this is £29.99/€29.99/$29.99, so GamersGate is cheaper for UK folk (and it registers on Steam anyway). I guess if you collect those blue coins that GamersGate hand out with every purchase, you might prefer to buy it from them. It’ll get you 1,845 points, equivalent to £1.15.

Also of note:
Deus Ex [Goatee Edition] – £1.49/€2.49/$2.49

To get lots cheap games pumped directly into your web browser, go to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. tossrStu says:

Did somebody say PARTY HARD?

2. Anarki says:

Wait….D2D US are seriously selling PDF files containing pictures of girls from video games for $10 each? Is that satire or something?

• terry says:

Like all things IGN, they believe they can solve any problem by throwing more tits at it.

• noom says:

After finding out IGN and D2D are owned by News Corp, I stopped using them both. Murdoch ain’t having any of my god damned pennies.

3. Cooper says:

Blood Money is truly excellent.

I’ve played it through only using the sniper rifle. I’ve played it through only using the garrotte.

My favourite playthrough was when any deaths were never to be caused directly by my hand. Switching the fake gun for a real one in the theatre level is the famous example of this, but something like this exists throughout. Sometimes it’s set-up for you, sometimes you have to be imaginative…

Also, on the hardest difficulty (no saving halfway) it becomes so wonderfully tense. It’s all about building an oh-so-delicate house of cards around your target, and then frantically ad-libbing as it all starts to fall at your feet…

Vandelay says:

The only moment better then realising you can switch the fake gun for a real gun is when you realise you can switch the executioner for yourself. Not a very practical solution, as you have to time the shooting and get off stage at just the right moment, but still incredibly epic. The opera level is probably my favourite level of any game.

• MattM says:

I love when that house of cards starts to fall and all you can do is pull out the M4 with extended clip.

• Bennus says:

Mechanic spoiler! Goddamit.

I cannot unread. ;_;

• Pemptus says:

See now, I’ve played Blood Money several times and dressing up as the executioner never occurred to me. Brilliant game.

4. vanarbulax says:

Tex Murphy! A game from my childhood.

***Spoilers be ahead***

Couldn’t get past the green floaty thing in Area 51, freaked me out when I was that little. It followed you for gods-sake. At least I think it did, quit the game as soon as I got vaguely menacing images of it.

Also was too young to really get mock corniness. So a future detective with trench-coat and long brimmed fedora going on those sorts of adventure was all dead-pan to me, an hence the better.

PS Pandora Directive that is, and it wasn’t a new game at the time. Why yes, you (probably) are old.

5. iniudan says:

There is also 50% sale on Dead Rising 2 on impulse (except if you live in Germany, Japan and Korea)

Deadspace 2 one is worldwide, Dragon Age 2 one work for EU also. (Just priced in silly British money)

6. Heliocentric says:

I like dropping people on other people in blood money, also taking my target as a human shield, having his guards or maybe the police gun him down and running away without firing a shot.

7. Heliocentric says:

I imagined someone else would have said this by now, but ‘weak week’.

8. mlaskus says:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is incredible in coop. The puzzles are absolutely great, hard enough not to allow to just run through the game without thinking but also easy enough not to get you stuck for long anywhere. They require using the abilities of both characters, and even though they use only a few repeating mechanics, they are varied enough not to get boring. There is also quite a lot of fighting, which while not as great as the puzzles, is fun enough and complements those well. Oh and there are also some cool escape sequences and boss fights, so there is plenty of stuff to keep you entertained.

Vandelay says:

It is a great game and even better in co-op. Having said that, I would have liked to see it to have upped the challenge and require a little more thought in the co-op mode. By the time you’ve completed about 3 or 4 of the levels, you’ve seen pretty much all of the techniques you need to use throughout the game and there isn’t really much more thinking you have to do.

Definitely recommended though.

9. Bilbo says:

Gosh, it’s a bit unfair that DoW2 Retri is pounds-for-dollars.

• iniudan says:

True, just buy the gamersgate version which actually much more fair. =) You get all the same pre-order bonus available except the the ork one (since it is a steam exclusive)

10. realityflaw says:

Nearly half off DS2?!?

Anybody used these gamepoints guys before, are they legit? I’m reluctant to buy this game for PC, even though it is by far my favored platform, because it is such an inferior version of the game (no DLC, Install limits, no Elite Suits in newgame+, questionable patching schedule). But 30 bucks sounds like a price point I can live with for a single playthrough version of the game.

Dolphan says:

You can unlock the elite suits etc. using a hacked savegame, there’s a story at the Escapist about it.

• mwoody says:

NEVER buy CD keys from stores like these. At best, you get lucky, and you get one of the few legit ones they give out. More likely, the publisher realizes you’ve purchased a key sold cheaply in poor countries and are using it in another region, and they invalidate it. At worst, they take your money and run, sell you a stolen key, sell you an in-use key, sell you a key from a product they’ve returned to the store, sell you a key they’ve generated using a reverse engineered algorithm, etc.

The buyer beware mantra: if they were legit, they’d let you download the game from their site.

11. Risingson says:

Why all the adventure game reviews start with an apology, a disclaimer, or something similar? Why?

• amandachen says:

Not talking about the reviews–the actual games should start with an apology.

12. Xanadu says:

Can thoroughly recommend Lara. Picked up in a xmas sale and played to death for a month. Solo, can’t comment on co-op.
    Not much else in the bucket this week, though as last week’s purchases are still unplayed that’s no bad thing.

13. trooperdx3117 says:

Excellent been meaning to play Hitman blood money for a while so now seems the perfect oppurtunity to pick it up

14. Squirrelfanatic says:

“King’s Bounty: Platinum Edition” (all three parts from Katauri) is on sale on getgamesgo.com. 8,99 EUR is not much for those gems, unluckily I do already own the first two.

15. Starayo says:

The DoW2 one is useful for australians as well! THQ decided to charge us 60USD for it on steam.

16. Skrajunas says:

Only Lara Croft adds on steam?.. If so… Then no Hitman for me yet… :(

• Ziv says:

Why? It’s going to be a while till it gets THAT cheap on steam again, getgamesgo is an excellent site and is pretty good when it comes to managing your games.

mcnostril says:

I feel the pain.
      I can’t seem to purchase with my card due to some mastercard “securecode” crap that is so secure even I can’t access it. Steam always seems to skip this stuff, but everywhere else I try to buy I come up with similar problems (yay for mastercard).

I kinda wanted blood money, but it doesn’t seem worth the amount of juggling with the bank that is required.

17. malkav11 says:

The Gothic bundle is kind of a mixed deal, honestly. Sure, you get Arcania for a discount (although I’ve actually seen it lower at Target, of all places), but by all accounts it’s not terribly good, nor is the Gothic 3 expansion. And it doesn’t include the first Gothic, which is better than either of the above. Meanwhile, on Steam you can buy Gothic Universe for its standard price of $23 and get Gothic 1, Gothic II Gold, and GOthic 3, thus neatly acquiring both of the unquestionably excellent entries in the series plus Gothic 3, which is apparently much improved by the massive fan patch. Or if you’d prefer, $20 gets you Gothic 1 and 2 Gold DRM-free with bonus goodies on GoG.com. I’d recommend either of those options over the discounted bundle on Impulse. Frankly, if you want Arcania, its reputation is such that I’d fully expect its price to drop like a stone in the not too distant future.

18. malkav11 says:

A better deal: Eschalon Book 1 and Book 2 are both 50% off on Impulse and GamersGate.

• Bostec says:

Good man! Been wanting to play these but they never seem to drop down in price, until now!

• mwoody says:

Sweet, and the SURVEY2010 coupon on Impulse drops it by another 10%. Been meaning to grab the second one since trying a demo thingy a while back. Thanks!

• Pnikosis says:

I bought yyesterday Eschalon Book I and Book II and I’m really enjoying it. At first I was a little sceptical (I have a little graphic whore inside of me… ugh that doesn’t sound very good), but after playing it for about 10 minutes I completely felt in love with the game.

Horza says:

How terrible is the acting in the Tex Murphy games?

• Red_Avatar says:

Who cares – Tex Murphy games are all brilliant, even the last one. I never forgave PC Gamer for giving it a paltry 30-something score. It was the first truly 3D adventure game – you could look up and down, explore the world, pick up and interact with tons of stuff. On top of that, you have an amazing post-WW3 world that doesn’t take itself too seriously but still retains a good amount of atmosphere.

Yes, the acting is hammy in a lot of places but that’s part of the charm. Great actors wouldn’t have worked. UAKM is my favorite though, because the story is just too strong. Pandora improved many things and was a lot longer but lacked a bit of focus.

• Acorino says:

I played through UaKM and the acting was something you’d expect from a b-movie, at best, but mostly that was part of the charm, if not always. In Pandora the acting seemed to be much improved, from the little I’ve played of it.

• adonf says:

IIRC the chick from the Superman movies with Christopher Reeves plays an alcoholic in UAKM and her acting is perfect.

• Richard Cobbett says:

“How terrible is the acting in the Tex Murphy games?”

It depends on the game. In Under A Killing Moon, it’s ghastly but fun. In Pandora and Overseer, it’s actually pretty good as these things go.

The FIRST two Tex games – Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum, which don’t do the 3D thing but still have a bit of video/semi-video – are godawful games though. Avoid and ignore…

“Tex Murphy games are all brilliant, even the last one. I never forgave PC Gamer for giving it a paltry 30-something score”

I’ve done what I can to give the Tex games a better showing in Gamer over the years. (The reviewer of Overseer didn’t do himself any favours by claiming that it’s set in Detroit, despite the words “SAN FRANCISCO” being pretty much the first thing you see apart from the credits.)

20. noobnob says:

This has to be the first Steam Weekend Deal that isn’t worth a mention.

• terry says:

Well, there was that Railworks sale..

• omicron1 says:

Honestly, the Steam non-weekend sale is more worth mentioning – King’s Crusade for $9.00.

21. Miked says:

Thanks for your work Lewis, Hitman Blood Money is now mine!

22. geldonyetich says:

Alec’s Gothic 4 impressions make it sound like I should wait until I can get it for $10. Having played the demo, I have to agree it’s a cleanly executed bit of humdrum. Not sure there’s really been a good Gothic since 2. Granted Gothic itself was never so much good as it was novel.

Looks like the Dead Space 2 thingy is already “out of stock.” Pity, $25 is about how much I was hoping to pay for it. At this rate, I’ll probably end up renting it for a console.

• Red_Avatar says:

I hated Gothic 4. It’s not worthy of the name – Risen is. Gothic 4 is pointless, lacks depth and feels like you’re playing an offline MMO without the social perks.

• Saiko Kila says:

Agreed. Risen is the true Gothic 4.

23. Dozer says:

Misread that terribly as ‘Deus Ex: Goatse Edition’. Eeaurgh.

24. sinister agent says:

Another voice telling anyone mad enough to not have Bloody Money to get it. I’ve got it on the funsquare, but it’s exactly the same game. The only complaint I have is that you’re limited in the number of weapons you can carry into a level, and you can’t bring the kitchen knife with you after you find it. I love those moments when a target or witness turns round and sees you, and just before they can raise the alarm, a knife goes flying across the room into their eye. Horrendous, wonderful game.

25. DigitalSignalX says:

Torchlight was on sale at Amazon for 10 bucks last week, every so often it goes on sale on steam too. Worth a look if you find it on sale, I’m enjoying it a lot.

26. GoodPatton says:

Hell yes anyone that said Tex Murphy games were bad is wrong!!!

I wish I hadn’t seen this post now, I already have too many games to finish, I shouldn’t start replaying old classics!

27. BigJonno says:

I can vouch for Game Points Now. I used to use them for buying Xbox Live points cards for more songs during drunken Rock Band sessions. Stupid MS didn’t accept my debit card.

28. dethtoll says:

Ugh Dead Space 2 deal is UK-only? Shit. I guess that’s what us Yanks get for the Dawn of War 2 deal the other day.

29. J-Han says:

Looks like Death to Spies: Moment of Truth is also on sale for $5. http://www.getgamesgo.com/catalogue/game/death-spies-moment-truth

I can’t plug that game enough… no one’s heard of it because it’s such a small-budget niche interest. But anyone interested in Hitman ought to check it out. Great game if you want a really challenging stealth experience.