Ferocious Fettel Footage From F3AR

By Jim Rossignol on February 14th, 2011 at 4:47 pm.

Popping a zit had unexpected consequences
Ferocious! That’s right: it’s some single-player footage of F.E.A.R. 3‘s psychic badman in action. Paxton Fettel will be the second playable character in the third Fear game, and he’s going to be distinctly unpleasant to his enemies, as you can see here. The footage (below) also shows off the results of various telekinetic evisceration procedures. It’s a bit messy.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Alexander Norris says:

Okay, I have to say – this makes ph’three-arrrrrr look a lot more interesting. More games need possession.

• Kryopsis says:

Agreed.
      I am still a bit concerned, as Day 1 never made a decent game since their founding, but this looks entertaining.

• RegisteredUser says:

You clearly want to play “Requiem – Avenging Angel”.

Beautiful in that way. Got far too little exposure when it came out.

2. Qjuad says:

While this does nothing for my general Phfreeeeear apathy, that did like more entertaining than usual shooty shooty bang bang.

3. BarerRudeROC says:

ALLITERATIOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN

But in other news,
    Seeing how abilities are re-used + the environments.
    It’s looking very generic and a far cry from what the series once was.

4. yabonn says:

I’ll rather wait for Thiaf.

5. Bluepixie says:

Looks like gore thrill nonsense, do not want.

6. Jumwa says:

Second playable character? Does that mean the game will have a co-op story mode?

7. Njordsk says:

reversed counting !

fear 1 > 2 > 3 ?

• GT3000 says:

Well based on using numbers, we’re at least guaranteed a F.E.A.R. 4 or FE4R.

8. Oak says:

Paxton Fettel. Come on now.

• Persus-9 says:

Yeah, why is it all celebrity chefs seems to have silly names. Still I hear the range of sauce pans he’s put his name to are pretty good.

9. OldRat says:

Oh for… put a cork in there, man! Your brains are leaking all over the place!

Big Murray says:

Silly old Paxton Trinket.

11. Zogtee says:

I thought we agreed that this was to be known as PH3AR from now on?

12. CrazyBaldhead says:

F3arful.

13. mkultra says:

Wait, a sequel to a sequel? If this practice catches on in the industry, there’s no telling…

14. Eschatos says:

How do they explain Fettel being alive after you killed him in the first game?

• Bungle says:

They explained it in another video. Apparently some people wanted more money, so they resurrected Paxton Fettel. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

• OldRat says:

Would those people, by any chance, be called Day 1 Studios?

Hur hur, I’s smart.

• ANeM says:

the FEAR2 “Reborn” DLC is focused entirely around how Fettel decided to become not dead anymore.

What confuses me is why he still has a hole in his head, he certainly did not have that the last time I saw him.

• OldRat says:

Because, deep down inside, he likes to pretend he’s Doctor Manhattan.

15. Binman88 says:

Oooh!

Looks stupid!

16. Coins says:

Why do people INSIST on using numbers in their names? It’s so silly!

17. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I wish to be the little girl.

She can splode heads too, right?

• Hodag says:

Alma is more into the Full Body Vaporization more than the Splodey Heads school of mayhem.

18. Voidy says:

‘kay, this is probably gonna be a bland sequel to a bland sequel to a game that wasn’t so deep and original in the first place. But this trailer made me shiver in a very pleasant way.

F.E.A.R. seemed to me to like a remake of Blood 2. Both games featured a mix of near-future and horror themes, a very evil and mysterious corporation and a psychotic freak with freaky psychic powers that you had to chase throughout the plot. Those sections of F.E.A.R. 2 where you controlled a ridiculously overpowered mech? A homage to Shogo, no doubt.
    And now this video, where Fettel, risen from the dead, juggles conventional weapons and dark magickery with equal ease and celebrates kills with hoarse manic laughter? Damn, it has Blood written all over it! If this game is going to feature pitchforks and dynamite, I will preorder the collector’s edition.

• Navagon says:

It does almost seem like Day One are almost as influenced by Monolith’s other games as they are by FEAR, doesn’t it?

But I’m doubting it will have such an awesome arsenal as that of Blood. No other game could make dynamite the perfect mid-close range weapon of choice.

19. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Screw F3AR, where’s N.O.L.F.3?

20. steggieav says:

This game is looking goofy as hell. Is it supposed to be scary? The guy playing Paxton Fettel is chewing the scenery like mad. I’d like these games more if they didn’t take themselves so seriously and embraced their camp value.

21. Terraval says:

Is it just me or is the guy saying “PEGI 18″ at the start Daniel from Amnesia?

stahlwerk says:

it’s just you.

dhex says:

tell ya what though, i’d hire that guy to do voice acting for games. or just to come round my house and read me bedtime stories.

very soothing.

22. Serenegoose says:

I could have sworn Paxton Fettel looked different in FEAR 1. By different I mean non-rubbish.

I mean, he had the wirey, malnourished (odd, given his tendencies), evil look you’d expect someone called Paxton Fettel to have, instead of wildly crazy eyebrows and a big grin.

23. Jake says:

Well there are a few things in this trailer that look rubbish, but I’m choosing to comment on the bit where he throws the knife. He barely rotates his wrist, he’d be lucky to drop that near his feet let alone kill someone ten meters away. I’ve rarely had to throw knives at people and don’t really consider myself an expert but surely you have to put a bit more effort into it than that?

24. zkylon says:

Man that framerate is pretty.

25. majestyk says:

Who needs weapons if you got those hands? Not sure where the fun comes in when you’re so overpowering your enemies. By the way, I loved the firefights in f<3ar…

26. destroy.all.monsters says:

Looks fun despite my curmudgeonly character and overall skepticism about the game. Still as someone above mentioned the model for Fettel is terrible. Hopefully Fettel unlocks after the Point Man or whoever the hell the protagonist is this time around.

• psycho7005 says:

F.E.A.R 1 SPOILER:
      I thought the whole point was it was meant to be Paxton and Point man seeing as they are brothers.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

I thought that might be the case too but there’s now so many different protagonists (including the 2 non Monolith games) that frankly I have no idea what the hell is going on.

The plot is a total mess. If you remember some of the other videos you actually see the point man who is a long haired escapee from the 90s (as opposed to someone like me – a long haired escapee from the 70s). Seeing yourself in a cut scene in a *first* person shooter is strange at best.

27. Dougal McFrugal says:

sigh

the first fear was great, so much so that my wife kept calling me a big girl when I yelped whenever Alma decided to do her mad exorcist-spider walk across the floor. Even the intro was great.

then there was fear 2…and now this…

sigh