A Game of Thrones: Genesis Screenshots

By Quintin Smith on February 16th, 2011 at 4:45 pm.

Fancy a tic-tac?

Whoa. Cyanide Studios, them of Blood Bowl fame, are releasing a fantasy strategy game based around George R.R. Martin’s unspeakably excellent A Song of Ice & Fire novels this summer. I did not know this. Apparently Big Download did, and remained as cool as a cucumber posting these first two screenshots. I hope that one day RPS will be as cool as Big Download. Until then: EEEE! And also: Hang on…

The game is entitled A Game of Thrones: Genesis, after the first book in the series. The above screenshot shows a dragon. Except there aren’t any dragons in A Game of Thrones. They’re extinct, or thereabouts. Can we assume from this that the “Genesis” subtitle means the game will be covering the battles that led up to the first book? Maybe, maybe.

There’s also the below artwork. What is that, exactly? Is that The Wall?

And I’ve just found the press release down the back of the Castle Shotgun sofa. Here you go:

“A Game of Thrones – Genesis”, Cyanide Studio’s new strategy game for PC, adaptation in a video game of the successful saga A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin, finally unveils itself! We invite you today to discover the two very first screenshots taken from this real-time strategy game, in which your political prowess will be as important as your strategic and military skills!

Thanks to a well-developed single player campaign written under supervision of the author George R.R. Martin, “A Game of Thrones – Genesis” immerses you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Houses that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros. Live the origins of the A Song of Ice and Fire saga through more than 1000 years of History, and take part in Westeros’ founding events and largest battles such as Aegon the Conqueror’s invasion on the continent or the War of the Usurper.

In this great strategy game, victory does not necessarily result from brute force. You can choose to use a military approach and besiege your opponents, strangle them in an economical war, or even use dirty tricks and diplomacy to politically crush them. Treachery and deception are everywhere, so watch your back and prepare for battle!

A Game of Thrones – Genesis will be released on PC in summer 2011.

This, of course, means we have two adaptations of A Game of Thrones to look forward to. Are you lot pumped about the upcoming HBO TV series? I think it might just be the best thing ever. What do you think, readers?

, .

1. DTgreat says:

Wish he would finish the next book already….damn you enticing visuals for re-igniting my reading habit.

• Resin says:

I wish he would just finish the next book as well.

I am very cautiously optimistic, it just all sounds too good to be true.

• fionny says:

Im worried… I think the world wouldve better translated into a RPG rather then a strategy game.

• Oneironaut says:

I haven’t read any of these books because I hate to start reading a series before it’s finished. I liked to read them all back to back normally. I may be forced to read at least the first book before this game comes out.

• Werthead says:

@ Fionny: It’s an RPG as well. Cyanide are making two games. The RTS is out this year, the RPG a year later.

@ Oneironaut: I’d recommend that, or you can just watch the TV series. It starts airing on 17 April in the USA and across Europe the following week.

• plasticsaint says:

The game looks awesome, but I also wish he would concentrate on finishing the next book. Of course, when the saga is over.. =’(

• Xercies says:

I’m also looking forward to that TV series, with Shaun Bean! As my favourite character in the first book!

Also am wondering if I should continue reading it since he hasn’t finished it yet….I don’t want to get the the final book published and wait until 2022 to finish the series.

2. BobsLawnService says:

Could this be what Elemental failed to be?

• Zenicetus says:

Visually at least, it’s what Elemental could have been with a better art director and artists. This actually looks nice. Color me interested.

• BunnyPuncher says:

I doubt it will outdo Elemental.

“Cyanide Studios, them of Blood Bowl fame”…?

Infamy is probably a better way of putting it. Sadly Cyanide put alot more effort into making the game visually attractive than actually making it functional. A crazy number of (simple but irritating) bugs that were reported in the alpha, the beta, and in the finished product never got fixed until the second version of the game came out (well, I’d hope they got fixed). Not to mention the port errors, terrible ranking system, or the unprotected RNG :(

This game looks cool, and their cycling manager games look cool but…. I wouldnt touch the studio with a barge pole based on past experiences.

• amandachen says:

So pretty much like Elemental then. Pity.

BTW I think Cyanide Studios will do a great job.

Colthor says:

That doesn’t look like a Megadrive game. Besides, I thought this was a PC site?

4. mandrill says:

I’m on book 4 at the moment and have felt that no other fantasy setting would lend itself so well to an EVE like fantasy MMO where politics and intrigue are just as important (if not more so) than brute military force. not so sure about the strategy game slant on it though seeing as the books are very character driven. There is magic and there are dragons, but they are more of an aside to the main plots involving the deeply developed characters and personalities.

5. Jockie says:

I remember hearing something vague about this a while back and was quite pessimistic about it ever seeing the light of day. Could be interesting if there’s a good game behind the premise.

And i’m stupidly pumped for the HBO series, the casting is pretty much spot-on and it’s looking like one of the most ambitious projects HBO has ever taken on. Let’s hope it’s a massive success and it spurs George on to actually finishing the series.

• Werthead says:

There’s actually two games in development at Cyanide, an RTS due this summer and an RPG due in late 2012. What the latter looks or plays like isn’t known at the moment.

There are also a plethora of mods based on the book out there: one for CRUSADER KINGS, a module for the original NEVERWINTER NIGHTS, a mod for MEDIEVAL II: TOTAL WAR and another for MOUNT & BLADE.

• Choca says:

Actually, their RPG looks like this : http://cdn.cnetnetworks.fr/gamekult-com/images/photos/00/01/21/58/ME0001215870_2.jpg

And those are the main characters.

• Werthead says:

@Choca: Er, no. That’s a shot from a different title. There are no orcs or goblins in the ASoIaF setting.

• Werthead says:

@Choca: That’s actually an unrelated game called RENAISSANCE that Cyanide also appear to be working on:

• bill says:

Sean bean! Sweet.

But the cast for the starks seems way too old! Jennifer Ehle is good, but she was getting her kit off in C4 dramas 10 years ago – her character is supposed to be about 15.

• Choca says:

@Werthead : Yeah I know that Renaissance has nothing to do with A Song of Ice and Fire, I thought you were saying that there were no known screenshots of it but you must have been talking about another RPG by Cyanide that I don’t know about I guess.

• Werthead says:

@Bill: Jennifer Ehle was playing Catelyn Stark, who is 45 in the TV series. She’s out, replaced by Michelle Fairley. The 15-year-old, Daenerys, is being played by newcomer Emilia Clarke.

@Coca: Ah, I see the confusion. Cyanide are working on two SONG OF ICE AND FIRE computer games, this RTS and an RPG, which they are not talking about much until GENESIS ships. Cyanide reps visited George Martin in New Mexico a few weeks back and showed him some material from the RPG, but the game is apparently at least 12 months away, maybe more.

6. FreezerBag says:

I’m very excited about the HBO show. (But ZOMG that hair! What is happening with the hair?)

This I’m more sceptical about. I mean, if Cyanide can screw up the Blood Bowl UI as badly as they did, how wrong could this one go?

7. WeFlySpitfires says:

A new game as well as a TV series? Bazinga.

Let’s just hope he hurry up and finishes the next book soon. Unless his evil plan is to milk the hype and anticipation for another few years…

8. President Weasel says:

George R R Martin does appear to have stalled writing the series, although for anyone feeling angry and entitled about it I would refer you to Neil Gaiman’s excellent “George R R Martin is not your bitch” article.
    As for Cyanide, their implementation of Blood Bowl is, shall we say patchy? Yes, let’s say patchy.
    I do not think I would trust them with something as complex as a strategy game when they’ve had such trouble fully implementing a turn-based table top game.

And Frightlever – yes, fairly nuts. I’m happier having read the series up until this point, knowing I may never see another book in it, than I would be never having read it.

• Tetragrammaton says:

Im fairly sure George is stringing it out to get the buzz up for the various spin-offs in the works (This game and the HBO series) No doubt they will be tactically released with the final book coinciding with a feature movie or some such. Cant really blame the guy, hes sitting on a platinum egg here.

Faldrath says:

“Can we assume from this that the “Genesis” subtitle means the game will be covering the battles that led up to the first book?”

Well, the press release confirms it: “take part in Westeros’ founding events and largest battles such as Aegon the Conqueror’s invasion on the continent or the War of the Usurper.” All those happened before the first book.

• Werthead says:

The mod starts 1,000 years before the books, and according to Westeros.org the earliest campaign will be the Rhoynar invasion of Dorne. Other campaigns include Aegon the Conqueror’s invasion (complete with dragons) and the War of the Five Kings (the one featured in the novels). Hopefully the Dance of Dragons is in there as well, as that means dragon versus dragon battles, which would be interesting.

10. Sweedums says:

currently reading a game of thrones, loving it so far…. looking forward to seeing how the tv show turns out too. wouldnt mind a new fantasy RTS game to play, i cant really think of any others iv played since BFME2, and i think EA have shut down the mp servers for that now….

11. Maykael says:

If this is not good, it will rain in Cyanide’s HQ as it did in Castamere…

Riaktion says:

Naw…. but we are probably going to be waiting for ANOTHER 60 YEARS. Sigh….

13. Arnulf says:

Ambivalent.

While I love the series I’m doubtful the story can pull a game. Like many others I’m more curious about the continuation of the story. A Dance With Dragons is overdue. Really!

And yes, I know about the coming HBO series. Only, I won’t be able to watch it! We in Germany generally get shafted concerning upcoming TV series’. My only hope is that iTunes will carry it.

14. DiamondDog says:

Yeah, I’d imagine the presence of a huge dragon in one of those screenshots would mean Aegon the Conqueror’s invasion of Westeros is a playable campaign. Could be interesting depending on how they make it. Have you play as one of the Houses and try to hold out for as long as possible?

If they’re covering a thousand years then that leaves plenty of room to maybe bend the fiction a little to fit the gameplay. Although there are set events, like the invasion of Westeros, where it’d be a bit weird if you played as House Lannister, for example, and managed to fend of Aegon to ‘win’ the game.

15. protorp says:

Just started playing Paraox’s King Arthur the other day, and was thinking how excellent a base style of game that would be for a game set in Westeros… though doing the series true justice is a big ask for any developer.

16. Archonsod says:

Zero interest in the books, but I’ve liked Cyanide’s stuff so far.

17. Werthead says:

I’d say that Book 3 – published in two volumes in the UK just to confuse people – ends with enough finality that you can pause there until the rest of the series comes out. I wouldn’t miss out on the series for potentially another decade just because of that factor.

18. Hentzau says:

Cyanide, eh. So I should wait until a year after the first version comes out for them to release the real version, and even then I should expect it to have a godawful UI and braindead AI. Gotcha.

19. MuscleHorse says:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

The best non-fantasy fantasy series and I’m getting a TV show as well as a game?

20. Xanadu says:

I want to get excited by this, but I’ll stay skeptical until it’s out and I can see if it matches the quality of the books- a bit like the HBO series.
    I’m encouraged by ” in which your political prowess will be as important as your strategic and military skills” though. Most games offer at best a binary good or evil option. Given that in GRRMs books “good” behaviour gets you killed, I’m hoping for lots of shades of grey and plenty of Machiavellian options for backstabbing, betrayal and switching of alliances. Perhaps a diplomacy/Solium Infernum style bit between the actual battles allowing you to trade your favourite stepdaughter and a small castle in Dorne for a sack of gold, aerial dragon support in an upcoming siege, and an agreement to send your foes heirs to the Wall. And then you switch sides mid battle after the dragons are committed.
    Ok, I lied. I am excited about this now. Damn you RPS.

21. bobdisgea says:

oh jesus. i dont want this. i neeeeeeeeed it.

22. pakoito says:

One screenshot and everything is already wrong. DRAGONS? jeez those guys didn’t read the novels or WHAT?

• omicron1 says:

It is apparently not set during the novels’ continuity. A post above mentions Aegon the Conqueror; hence, one can assume that the dragon shown is from that campaign.

• pakoito says:

Oh, ok.

PS: “Innovative ways to win with diplomacy” jeez, CIV!

• The Great Wayne says:

And actually, if you read the books yourself, there are dragons there too. They’re just not yet at this stage of development. Oops, spoiler.

• omicron1 says:

Well, they’re definitely not in Westeros at any point in the story that anyone but George Martin himself has seen. And that is an image of Westeros.

23. dr.castle says:

’00s = zombies
    ’10s = dragons?

24. ulix says:

Lets fucking hope that this isn’t the “second big announcement” George has teased us with on his blog (the first one: Ice & Fire main series being adapted as comics).

If it was, it would mean that the second announcement would NOT be, that he’d finished DANCE… which would make me cry.

• Werthead says:

The other announcement was the completion of ADWD, which didn’t happen due to his illness over Christmas and New Year’s. He confirmed that at the venue where the announcement was going to be made.

• ulix says:

He did confirm that he didn’t make the other announcement because of his illnes.
      He did not, however, confirm anything else. Or I (and a blog like Winter is Coming) would have heard of it.

• Werthead says:

@ Ulix: Well, that’s what he said at the signing, and it was picked up in the comments threads of several WiC posts. I’m a mod on the Westeros.org forum and we got plenty of reports from people at the signing.

Of course, GRRM has been ‘wrong’ about many projected schedules for finishing the book, so the fact he’s still working on it now is hardly a surprise.

25. Pew says:

Age of Thrones?

26. Earl_of_Josh says:

Am I really the only one that didn’t enjoy this series very much? I slogged through all the way to about 1/2 way through book 3 before I finally threw in the towel. I kept thinking that it had to get better, but I couldn’t really bring myself to actually care for any of the characters. Maybe the game will be more suited to me. Here’s hoping.

• Agnocrat says:

Yup, you’re pretty much the only one.

• Hastur says:

No he’s not! The books get progressively worse as Martin runs out of ways to push the plot forward. I think Book 3 is really the best place to stop, at least until he finishes the series (or HBO does it for him).

27. Tei says:

the winter is coming :-/
    :D

\o/

28. Navagon says:

Oooh… interestingness.

29. Reapy says:

I second werthead, he ends book 3 with a tone of all the characters going off to do ‘stuff’ for a few years and those books are a fantastic journey in themselves. You can hold off on book 4 + until he is done.

30. Valvarexart says:

This sounds petty epic in some ways. While I am not a huge fan of RTS’s I do like the idea of being able to experience the building of the wall and the battle of the Trident etc. I would much have preferred it to be an RPG, but I guess that RTS is the best way to span such a large timeperiod.

• Werthead says:

As mentioned above, there’s a separate RPG title in development, due a year or so after the RTS.

yhancik says:

You need a double R. in your name to write fantasy books. That’s the rule.

oceanclub says:

I’m surprised noone mentioned Dragon Age, which was very, umm, homagey towards “A Song of Fire and Ice”….

33. The Army of None says:

Huh, I had no idea that this was A Thing. Good to know.

34. Towercap says:

I, uh, chuckled at the first screen shot. That building seems to be totally cool with the dragon burning it up. #thumbsup

35. Tetragrammaton says:

Looks a little gamey-y for Ice & Fire. That Crusader Kings mod from a while back strikes me as a more appropriate framework, but then, what do I know.
    Also -

36. JackShandy says:

Um. This isn’t based on the board game at all, is it?

37. Jezebeau says:

The blue vertical bit at the back? Definitely the wall. It is supposed to be 700′ tall (they never do explain the seventy trillion man hours that goes into that). The scene is probably Castle Black.

• Werthead says:

“they never do explain the seventy trillion man hours that goes into that”

IIRC, they said magic did it, since those were the days when magic (and the nonhuman children of the forest) was still knocking around.

38. TitusCrow says:

Who doesn’t want to see in a game what happens when Balerion the Black Dread flies in all his awe and glory at the field of fire. Man I hope this game lives up to the material. Man I hope old George gets the material out before he croaks.. man I hope I’m sill here to read it if he does..

39. bill says:

Not sure a strategy game will capture what was great about the novels – which was the characters, twists and scheming. And the personal stories.

Watching many small men get killed from on high isn’t usually as emotionally involving as seeing one loved character get slaughtered.

Then again, i guess the novels really are all about the political maneuvers. (not so much about the war imho).

40. bill says:

On the books: I love them lots, but did anyone else find that by the end of the 3rd or 4th one you’d become so depressed about the state of man/war that you ceased to care? Every lord mistreated his people, every army raped and pillaged, all the peasants died for uncaring lords on both sides.

There is now no-one left for me to root for. No one i think should win. Whoever wins many innocents will die and their lot won’t improve. I guess that was what he was going for.

41. Subject 706 says:

Now what we REALLY need is a strategy game or RPG based on R Scott Bakkers books. IT WOULD BE GLORIOUS.

• Werthead says:

I’m not sure the alien rapists from space shooting ‘black seed’ over everything would be easily translatable to the game. Levelling up Kellhus into a demigod over the course of the game could be fun though.

• Jacques says:

Fox News would certainly have a field day with the prospect of a game full of rapist aliens though.

42. Jacques says:

I’ve still got an order for A Dance with Dragons on my Amazon account dating from May 1st 2008, delivery estimate is 1st May 2012. Oh well…