Also, Cities In Motion Is Demonstrated

By Jim Rossignol on February 17th, 2011 at 5:56 pm.

Trams are like vagrant trains
Cities In Motion, the transport infrastructure game due on 22nd of Feb, has a demo out. Here it is. Apparently this limited version of the game allows you to build a small transport network. So you should do that. Then you can use your comprehension of the game to judge the veracity and cogency of our impressions of the game.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Coins says:

Ooh. Interesting. Downloading. My opinion, it shall have to come later.
    Well, after having played it, I have to agree with Antilogic. For the right kind of people, this game is very, very interesting. The gameplay is smooth enough, and it looks pretty decent. Only problem I have with it are the controls, really. The arrow keys for changing viewing direction was probably not the best choice.

Second edit: Oh, there’s DLC. That was unavoidable, I suppose, but it’s still a shame.

• Eschwen says:

Idea for DLC: Vehicles with 0% chance of breakdown. I would buy that without a second thought.

• Coins says:

You would buy what basically amounts to cheats? We get those free, no?

• Eschwen says:

Paying would make me feel better about my cheating by giving it some legitimacy. I’d be just as happy with an option to disable vehicle breakdowns, but I’d prefer a method that was sanctioned by the developers, perhaps by paying a lot more up-front to cover the future predicted repair costs of a vehicle.

As it stands, breakdowns seem to occur at far greater frequency than those stated in the vehicle stats. Whether this is actually the case intentionally, a bug with the code, or just my faulty perception, it impacts my enjoyment of the game. Breakdowns sabotage your budget predictions (yes, they do take money to repair) and destroy your vehicle spacing on routes. Without the ability to put vehicles back on the line wherever you want, breakdowns become very tedious to manage in a large transportation network.

2. Antilogic says:

If this game came bundled with crack it would not be more addictive.

3. Nihilille says:

How exactly does this differ from the open beta? Ie any point in downloading it if you tried the beta.

• Spooner says:

Seems that the demo is just the tutorial (no sandbox levels at all) from the beta. Don’t bother with it unless you missed the beta…

4. Howling Techie says:

I am really enjoying the beta, and I think it is surprisingly cheap on Steam. I might preorder it tonight, at the risk of being addicted and not getting real work done.

5. faelnor says:

For those who know the game better than me: my tutorial tram is stuck in the traffic because one single car won’t let it take a turn. Is there a way to call the cops to unlock the situation, or am I supposed to keep losing money until I destroy the tram, let the car pass, and build the tram again?

• Eschwen says:

I have had this happen a few times with trams, although I am playing the version that I downloaded from Steam during the first day of pre-orders when they accidentally had the whole thing unlocked. To fix it I always just save the game and then reload, and the traffic clears. If you are playing the demo/beta and can’t save or load, you might try just pulling that tram back into your depot (don’t sell it, use the lower arrow on the vehicle pane), and then immediately put the tram back on the line. I’m hopeful that this particular issue is fixed in the final release.

Al__S says:

you don’t have to destroy the tram- merely pause the line (by clicking on the little flag logo in the line manager) and then unpause it again. It’ll annoy the passengers, not least as the tram will start from Stop 1 again, but it’s the best you can do. Next time, try to avoid routing tram lines along busy roads.

Also, check out the information (clip board icon) on most buildings etc. It’s cute.

(been playing the beta, have it on preorder. £15 seems bargainous)

• faelnor says:

Thanks guys!
      This wasn’t a particularly busy road, so I guess this is more of a bug than an intended situation. Hope it will be fixed by release because I like the game a lot (not surprising, considering the time I’ve been spending on OpenTTD).

• no worries says:

I found that this eventually resolved itself, after 30 seconds or so. The car in the way just disappeared after being stuck a while. Annoying though, in that this equates to like a few weeks game time….

However I once had a bus of mine stuck trying to take a left in front of a tram of mine. That one wouldn’t resolve until I stopped the line and started it again.

Great great game though, I’d tinker more with the demo but afraid to wear it out.

6. Harkkum says:

I shall troll and stomp ’till they fix that infuriating user interface of theirs! And what’s the deal with not being able to build tram line on top of rails. That is like being able to eat muffins but not cupcakes. Outrageous I say, outrageous.

7. noom says:

My thought process for this went like so:

“I probably would have loved this game in the nineties. Oh wait, that means I might love it now!”

Demo downloading.

8. patricij says:

I rather enjoyed the demo! On the second playthrough I ignored the guy and had a jolly good sandbox time until I needed some money, so I tagged along the tutorial for a bit. Really good stuff, before I was interrupted (the box said “demo version”), I managed to build several lines and max the popularity above all….For the cost of a few loans (the metro is bloody expensive to build), but that’s okay…
    I think I’m getting it! It seems to play the right tycoon strings only Chris Sawyer normally know how to play! :)

9. sinelnic says:

Seamless zoom. You know, yesterday a computer defeated a man at Jeopardy!, and this poor souls haven’t yet figured out a way to put the whole of their (poorly) simulated city within my screen limits.
    I’m sorry guys, I would have paid.

10. faelnor says:

After playing the demo some more, I’m starting to think it won’t have the lasting appeal I hoped for.
    Sometimes I would like to micromanage my lines in real time such as scheduling depot stops for regular preventive maintenance, telling a bus driver to change his route because of an exceptional traffic condition etc. I’m a big fan of train signalling and I would love to manage complex signals and multiple-branched metro lines, obsolescence problems between old and new signalling systems between different lines. I would like to be required at some point to weigh the advantages of a particular type of train track, for example using ground-level power supplies or overhead lines. I would like to be able to make underground trams and underground connexions with buildings or other lines. I would like to plan night/day schedules. And so on.

Compared to TTD, I feel that what they removed in intercity complexity should had been added back in detailed management of the lines and rolling stock.
    I suppose what I’m asking for is really not what CiM is all about and is more of a desperate cry for a game including such complexity. I’m not advocating manual control over every little detail either: all those points I’ve listed should be automated by default and overriden on the player’s wish.

11. iluvhats says:

I’ve been waiting a long time for a new traffic giant style game, and this deffo seems like the a distant cousin of it,

Looking forward to it alot, shame i never got into the beta

12. AgainstYourThought says:

I really thought I would like this game, since I’m such a fan of OpenTTD and the gameplay is fairly similar. After trying the beta though, I thought it was kinda boring. I just couldn’t get into it. Could be because lack of saving meant I couldn’t make any real progress like building a full metro system, but even then I wasn’t digging it that much.

I’ll probably wait for a Steam sale to pick this one up

13. RegisteredUser says:

So nobody is going to pick up on my commenting that this is a blatant mobility ripoff?

Used to be free, then went shareware. They even stole their tagline.

Or did these people actually migrate to Paradox? What’s the story here?

There’s a story here! Story it! :P