Natural Selection 2 Is “Dynamically Infested”

By Jim Rossignol on February 17th, 2011 at 6:06 pm.

Dynamic infestation is not pictured in this picture, which pictures aliens being fought by soldiermen. But it is pictured in a new video diary from the Natural Selection 2 beta developement thing. Excitingly, I have used 21st century internet technology to make it visible in the extended version of this blog post. Unknown Worlds’ Charlie Cleveland told us: “As you may remember, we got a ton of attention awhile back when we released a video of our first dynamic infestation prototype. We’ve since written our own engine (switched away from Source) but we now have a basic, playable, version of dynamic infestation, in-game and ready to test.” And that’s what is in the video.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mkultra says:

Amazing how this one element will completely change the entire game for the way, way better.

2. Hatsworth says:

Cool, spine crawlers!

3. fela says:

I preordered this game to play the beta but unfortunately right now gameplay boils down to me getting shot in the spawn.

Lets hope they do a fine job and not waste my money.

• mod the world says:

Spawn killing only happens when your team is already defeated and the marines just haven’t killed the last hive yet.

• Starky says:

Which is honestly something I wish they would add, though I fear it would be abused, a surrender vote option.

Because honestly those were always the worst part of any game in NS1 that 5 minutes you’re down to your last hive and they are just taking their time about killing you and racking up epeen kills.

Or worse yet a turreted turtled marine team and aliens taking forever to finish them. Amazing how long a few turrets, some left over HMGs and a some players who can aim can hold off a 3 hive end push.

Though I played a few games that resulted in the greatest comeback of all time(tm) in situations like that, I suspect it was more boredom on the other side.

TheTourist314 says:

Sounds like Creep from SC. I don’t feel like this is such a bad thing though, the game is both RTS and FPS. It works out in its own interesting way, with team versus team rather than player versus player.

5. Dominic White says:

I’ve gotta put some time into this game – I got a free copy of it because I pre-ordered Overgrowth when they were first taking preorders for alpha-build access. So far, good value for money right there.

• Wulf says:

It really is. I got NS2 at the same time. Admittedly I’ve been putting more time into the Overgrowth beta though rather than the NS2 beta.

The thing is is that in the NS2 beta I cannot line 500 rabbits along the top of a hill (layered into rows), and then hit the ‘protected state ragdoll’ key to make them all go tumbling down the hill at the same time. This absolutely kills my computer, but it’s genuinely hilarious to watch. Plus wall-jumping in cat city is a blast. I can already see they’ve got the framework for some incredibly fun stuff in place.

What do I mean by ‘protected state ragdolls’? They have this thing where when a critter goes into ragdoll mode, it tries to protect itself by guarding its body with its limbs. I’ll grab a video.

500. (Okay, that might be a bit of an overexaggeration, but it actually went off into the horizon, I painted so many of them.)

6. Dominic White says:

Network fail = double-post.

7. CMaster says:

Have to say I’d prefer to see the infestation as genuinely dynamic, spreading as the Khraa do, rather than being a creep-like bit of extra logistical work that the aliens have to do. Of course, having not played NS2 maybe I’m wrong and it fits in.

• Dominic White says:

Both sides have their own ‘control’ dynamic. Marines require functioning power in a zone in order to build there, wheras the aliens need creep. The midfield tends to be unpowered, but un-creeped, and can be changed in either direction.

8. Rotekian says:

Looks good as a gameplay feature, hopefully they will eventually get it looking as good as the original prototype looks. I can’t really be sure from the video but it looks like a decal at the moment.

The best time to try it is when a patch comes out as everyone else returns to see the differences.

9. Lilliput King says:

The walking whips give off definite triffid vibes. Looks brilliant.

10. jonfitt says:

“Grenade launcher works” Is that a feature?

I enjoyed the original I’ll have to give this a try.

On an aesthetic note, I liked AvP2000’s use of “camera is in mouth” because the teeth only appear to show you a mouth attack is possible.
    I’m not sure I like looking out of the mouth all the time. It looks like the teeth get in the way.

• Starky says:

As a long time player of NS1 believe me when I say it is fine – you totally get used to it, and in NS at least and as seems to be here too, it was fast enough to seem more like a blink (as in after a while you just stop noticing it) than an annoyance.

• 12kill4 says:

in regards to the grenade launcher animation working, I can still see the grenade model spawn in the middle of the screen, far from the grenade launcher barrel… so there’s that.

11. THEiNTERNETS says:

Hey RPS,

I don’t know if it’s you or youtube, but it’s really annoying not being able to choose the video quality on your embedded videos (360p, 420p, 720, etc.) Can somebody on staff do something about this?

Love

The Internets (all of them)

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah, that is really annoying, but I have no idea either as to whether it’s anything to do with RPS.

If it’s possible to sort it it would be fantastic. If not, no worries!

• MeestaNob says:

It’s a glitch (or ‘improvement’) Google/YouTube have introduced to the embedded players, hopefully they fix it soon.

• RegisteredUser says:

Oh, I just leave the site and go to youtube. There’s the more important widescreen button there, too.

And then stop reading the original site due to over 9000 related links. And kittens and puppies and cute sneezing thingies.

No downside in that, surely. And highly likely not a ploy or technical restriction on behalf of youtube for that very reason.

12. starclaws says:

This is just a prototype for now… It will get a huge sound and graphical enhancement later. Along with the fire that is already in NS2 beta. The fire won’t look like Warcraft 2 or Diablo 1 fire on the hive anymore hopefully :) I am still more interested in them cutting back more things and prioritizing things so servers and clients can run more players. Battlefield 3 is going up to 64 and Natural Selection 2 is going down to … 12?

• Juiceman says:

Wait, how many players can be in a server at once? 12? If that is the case I think I will probably skip out. NS1 had 32 if I remember correctly.

• mod the world says:

32 is the maximum for NS2, but the servers can only handle 12-14 now, because of the server lag.
      BTW: Everyone should avoid servers with bots on, they make the lag much worse. (Players with ping 0 are bots.)

Jerricho says:

So… its eyes are in its mouth?

14. RegisteredUser says:

Good thing they switched away from valve’s engine and to one of their own. This has always been a good thing for developers. Just look at 3D Realms!

If only valve had had something in their stuff that was like a guy behind the scenes directing the action, creating dynamic level progress intermingled with excitement and adrenalin.

They could even have made, say, a 4 player co-op game out of that concept alone and sold it. Maybe even a sequel.

15. Longrat says:

I don’t know if it’s me or the game, but my (relatively) high end PC can’t run this game AT ALL. I’m constantly having connection problems, very low FPS, and so on. The game is nigh unplayable.