Valve To Release L4D2 Fan Mod As DLC

By Quintin Smith on February 17th, 2011 at 9:22 am.

Ah, the old jock strap.

Curious. Following The Sacrifice and The Passing, Eurogamer‘s got word that Valve will be releasing a third piece of downloadable content for Left 4 Dead 2 with a new Cold Stream campaign. Cold Stream is actually a work in progress fan campaign by Matthew Lourdelet, creator of the acclaimed 2 Evil Eyes campaign. According a post on Valve’s official Left 4 Dead 2 blog, Valve have seen Lourdelet’s work so far and decided to release it in a non-story driven pack containing the other three Left 4 Dead 1 campaigns not currently in L4D2.

Here’s the relevant quote from Valve’s post. The important scraps of information worth snuffling up are that the pack will be released after Portal 2, it doesn’t have a name yet and there will be no new audio or story. Mm! Mm.

Matthew Lourdelet (2 Evil Eyes) has been working on a new community campaign – Cold Stream. We loved 2 Evil Eyes and Cold Stream looks even more promising with innovative game play arenas and effects. Matthew has really shown that there are still plenty of new ideas in L4D2 modding.

He recently shared it with us and we love it so far but it isn’t done. We were tempted to have him quietly finish it with our help and release it as part of an upcoming DLC.

Tempted… but we decided against that. Instead, we think we have a better idea. We want you the community to be part of the process of taking his unfinished campaign and releasing it as DLC on the Xbox 360, PC and Mac.

Since Matthew already has a start on the campaign, we need to back up a little in the process before we go forward.

The very first step in creating a new DLC is deciding on the larger goals and constraints for the DLC. The Sacrifice and the Passing were story heavy, so we want to see what the other end of the spectrum looks like. For this DLC we start with wanting to experiment by releasing a map pack that wasn’t about story. It would just be new campaigns for Left 4 Dead 2.

That makes the first constraint no new audio or story.

The easiest starting point for new campaigns is the three remaining Left 4 Dead 1 campaigns, so the DLC will include those. We also want something brand new and Cold Stream is the perfect fit.

That’s the start of the DLC. We have the basic information but we don’t even have a name or release date yet.

We will hold off on the name for now.

That leaves the release date. The answer to when the DLC will be released is simple for now, sometime after Portal 2. Why don’t we set some date in stone right now? Because the real answer to when we are going to release something is always – when it’s ready.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. PeopleLikeFrank says:

“Paid” on the Xbox as is usual? I don’t see specific mention of it anywhere.

Haven’t played the guy’s work yet. Interested to try it out.

Valve continuing their trend of bringing modders into the fold of course.

• aldo_14 says:

IIRC, Microsoft literally won’t allow DLC to be released as free on the Xbox.

• Kaira- says:

@aldo

Dead Rising 1 had tons of free (costume) DLC. DLC that actually adds non-cosmetic content to games, about that I do not know.

• Dominic White says:

Any ‘free’ 360 DLC tends to just be unlock codes for stuff already on the disc. Microsofts policies regarding free content are pretty abhorrent.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Were they not atrocious, Valve would probably still have more focus on the Xbox than the Playstation in terms of console porting. And TF2 on Xbox would’ve had… an update.

2. Maltose says:

I don’t see the paid part. I assume it’ll be paid on XBL at least, but it never says that the PC will have to pay

3. Cael says:

I don’t see anything about paying for this…

4. tomeoftom says:

Hrm.

5. Monchberter says:

Before anyone starts moaning about Valve releasing PAID FOR DLC, this ensures that the creator gets something for their tireless work. See also buying item sets in TF2.

It does make them money sure, but it’s a very nice way to thank someone for their work.

• Barnaby says:

The item sets and hats are the worst update for TF2 yet. They definitely ensured that the game will never actually be balanced, as we will forever be distracted by pretty hats and not give a shit about actual gameplay.

My initial reaction was, “oh only kids who have no appreciation for money will buy these!”… Though I prettymuch gave up on the game, the last I checked it looked as though people were happy to spend 5 dollars on a fcking in-game hat.

I understand your overall point but I think that’s one of the worst examples you could use as it burns my soul.

6. Marshall Stele says:

Gaaaah! I need clarification on this. I am truly dismayed at the prospect of one of my favorite companies making me pay for L4D1 content again.

7. Quintin Smith says:

Oop. You’re right, everyone. There’s no word on it being paid. Fixed. Think I need additional tea.

8. Kaira- says:

Wouldn’t be the first time for Valve to hire a modder to do games/content/hats/pancakes for them. Might be interesting.

9. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

“That makes the first constraint no new audio or story.”

Surely this is just a budgeting trick? With no new audio and story, they don’t need to write or record anything new. By limiting new assets like that, they can: make a bigger profit on this; afford to give it away; or take the middle ground and make it pretty cheap.

Whichever way, I’d guess they’ll make it cheap/free if you have L4D1 to avoid a flare up of old wounds.

• skinlo says:

This isn’t for L4D1. They are porting all the L4D1 maps to L4D2, effectively making there zero reason to play L4D1. Not that I actually care, I’ve always been a L4D2 player myself :)

10. heretic says:

been playing L4D2 recently, I’ve been living in a cave obviously but what’s all these new maps recently? finding myself playing L4D characters when I don’t have L4D @_@ not that I’m complaining, just curious

• markcocjin says:

The Left 4 Dead maps on your Left 4 Dead 2 have been given to L4D2 players as added content. You need to Google “The Sacrifice” for the comics and trailer to understand its context and importance to the story. The other L4D campaign is No Mercy. It’s part of a slow transition to provide L4D2 players the full L4D content.

Enjoy.

• heretic says:

thank you sir!

11. dethtoll says:

Four. Four campaigns. Crash Course was great.

12. DanPryce says:

So, once this launches, I’ll have no reason to go back to L4D1 beside the characters and Crash Course?

13. dethtoll says:

Actually to be quite honest I don’t like the L4D1 maps in L4D2. They didn’t bother recording new callouts for stuff like adrenaline, only specials, which on top of the generally wonky behaviour of the L4D2 bots makes the whole thing seem generally kind of half-assed.

That’s not to say No Mercy 2 isn’t a boatload of insanity and very fun. We had a witch spawn in the alley behind the apartments. Could hear her crying the whole way down. Christ that sucked.

14. MacBeth says:

This is what I wanted to hear – not because of the maps, or the nature of the DLC – but so I can continue to dream that if/when I ever finish my campaign, Valve might officially pick it up… hey, it could happen!

15. Wilson says:

Good stuff, I really liked the airport and farm campaigns in L4D, so getting them in L4D2 will be nice. That said, it’s a shame they didn’t put a bit more effort into porting them. I don’t recall seeing certain zombie skins (like the army/national guard zombies) and as people have mentioned above, it hasn’t been adapted for the new pickups and stuff totally. That said, it has been free so far.

16. fuggles says:

2 Evil eyes was awful, I can hardly wait for this new set of non-connected maps!

Seriously, the best bit about L4D was the characters and the thematic journey, which is where L4D2 is inferior as the characters suck. I don’t want a series of unconnected maps valve… much the same as I didn’t want survival mode.

Moaning aside (I’m just not going to play it), what happens about errors? This chap hasn’t been hired by valve yet so do they fix the levels or does he? I see they want us to beta test it as well, interesting. Oh well, I shall ignore it and look forward to Yama instead.

• skinlo says:

I’m different in a way, the thing me and my mates have been saying for a while is that Valve should just released some news maps completely unconnected to the story, just for fun and to add variety!

• bigblack says:

I couldn’t agree more about 2 Evil Eyes – I play nearly all the newly completed campaigns on l4dmaps.com with a steady team of experienced players and the high community ratings for 2 Evil Eyes are baffling. It’s cool that Valve is paying attention to mod’rs, but there are much better campaigns that seem worthy of the attention — I can readily recommend: Detour Ahead, Dead Before Dawn, One 4 Nine, Carried Off!

17. Berzee says:

RAWRAWRWRAWRAWRRWRARWAR AWR MODS GOING COMMERCIAL

>_<

18. Fumarole says:

More free content is always a good thing. Good on ya, Valve.

19. fuggles says:

Thing about that is that it’s not valve bringing you the free content as such, by which I mean a modder is making a campaign. I like the precedent though, that’s quite exciting for the future, but hopefully they wont announce other fan made DLC with pomp and circumstance.

• Big Murray says:

Actually, I hope they do. The biggest barrier to fan-made DLC at the moment is the lack of people to consistently play them with, given that you have to download them from a third-party website, which most of the game-playing public can’t be arsed to do. Having them included in a compulsory DLC download would rock, seeing as there are some custom campaigns out there that are on a par with Valve’s work (I Hate Mountains comes to mind).

• ANeM says:

I Hate Mountains definitely does not come to my mind when contemplating potential Fan Updates.. While their work on the world geometry is fairly good, their level design is utter shit. The mappers even seem to acknowledge this, which is actually the biggest problem I have with it. Placing signs every 20 feet as if to say that players are simply too stupid to figure the map on their own. As if we are going to get lost walking along a relatively straight road.

In the L4D commentary Valve goes over a couple tricks they used to help guide players through maps, without having to use signs every 20 feet and these guys basically just ignored all of it. Sure, okay, its alright for modders to want to do their own thing, and to ignore or change some of the design choices made in the original game. However, much like their work with Portal: Prelude I can’t help but feel as though this team ignored all the crucial pointers. They made something that somehow manages to hit half of their targets dead on, and then missing others by miles.

• RegisteredUser says:

What Big Murray said +1.

20. MultiVaC says:

I hope this “experiment” of no story or new audio is not successful. I would hate to see Valve start relying on barebones community content as their updates from now on. TF2′s recent updates have had very little new Valve content and a lot of community items that are poorly animated, unbalanced, and often lack appropriate effects and icons. Valve seems to really be trending toward quantity over quality and cutting corners. Their half-assed HL2 update left the game a mangled mess with no way of ever playing the far superior pre-update version again, and even though the updated No Mercy was a great gesture, it was a pretty messy port. Remember when TF2 updates added huge new concepts like Payload maps, which became the main staple of the game? Or when Valve were known as perfectionists who constantly delayed and even completely redesigned their games in order to deliver something worthy of their name? I miss that Valve. They may be a lot better in getting things out on time, but their level of quality has definitely been slipping.

21. RegisteredUser says:

I am quite honestly impressed by how much post-release support L4D2 has gotten and how high-quality the mapping community is.

For a game that has cost me less than a menue at McDonalds(please don’t eat there, they sell poison in food shape) it has given me more entertaining hours than most AAAAAAAAAA shooter titles (it’s over 9000 times more fun to 4 person co-op a single L4D2 campaign than all COD games combined) and then they went and released an insane amount of addon campaigns and maps and modes FOR FREE.

As much as I hate half-life and various other things surrounding Gabe/steam, this has actually impressed me positively quite a bit.

However having played through the L4D1 map/campaign, I was reminded again why I did not buy L4D1.
    It was boring shit.