Yeah! Ass Creed: Bruvhood Ditches UbiDRM?

By Quintin Smith on February 17th, 2011 at 9:58 am.

Silence. Stealth. Patience. It is the assassin's way.

The Steam pre-order page for the PC version of Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood (which we now know will be landing on the 18th of March) would appear to be missing something. The eagle-eyed tipsters at Beefjack have spotted that where the Steam page for Assassin’s Creed 2 described the game’s need for an permanent internet connection in capital letters and addressed the game’s DLC in the Game Details box, Brotherhood has no such warnings, indicating that the game will be shipping without the DRM (though they could always update the page later). It wouldn’t be a massively surprising move, seeing as how R.U.S.E. shipped without the hateful thing. We should celebrate! Is it too early to open a bottle of something? Surely not.

We’ve asked Ubisoft to make an official statement on the DRM for Brotherhood, but no response as yet.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

James G says:

I’ve heard good things about Brotherhood, so this would be an appreciated move. Here’s hoping.

2. Javier-de-Ass says:

RUSE uses steamworks and is always tied to a steam account though. assassin’s creed brotherhood isn’t, don’t think so.

gamersgate page for brotherhood still says

“A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

• Javier-de-Ass says:

and gamersgate has the releasedate as march 17.

• Quintin Smith says:

March 17th is the US release date, and we’ve sent word to Ubisoft for an official statement regarding the DRM.

• imirk says:

Oh no now I am confused!

Am I feeding kittens to orphans or orphans to kittens? I need to know so I can order the right sized guillotine.

3. Njordsk says:

Ubi dumbed down its DRM.

It just check online connection at game’s startup now. So yeah, no permanent connection required, but if you have an internet breakdown you still can launch your game.

Tunips says:

Aw heck. I was relying on being able to self-righteously avoid this. Too many games in that week! Too many exciting, time intensive multiplayer games in particular.

5. DanPryce says:

DRM or not, the presence of a Renaissance Personal Cannon Dingy has secured my purchase. If I’d have known about that sooner I might have got it on 360.

6. bansama says:

indicating that the game will be shipping without the DRM

All this indicates so far is that Valve haven’t listed the DRM. This is nothing new, they tend to not list DRM for a lot of titles until a week or so after release. So unless UbiSoft confirm it has no UBI DRM, I wouldn’t go getting your hopes up.

• Sam says:

I don’t think it’s up to Valve to write the store page for other publisher’s games.

• bansama says:

Valve maintain the information shown on their store pages, not the publishers. This is why, in the event of a mistake, Valve have to be informed such as when some Multi Player only games list Single Player as an option despite the publishers/developers never sending that information to Valve (happened with Lead and Gold for example).

Other notable DRM related problems with the store pages would be the initial release of Batman Forever where, again, Valve did not mention the DRM until after release and in fact only put it on display following a fairly large amount of forum out-rage and requests for refunds. But that certainly wasn’t the first and it wasn’t the last prior to this one either.

Further to that, even when Valve know the information on their store is incorrect they don’t always bother to correct it. For example, Far Cry 2 still lists 3rd party DRM despite the publisher patching it out of the Steam version. And Valve have known of that since December 3rd 2009 at the very latest which is when I last bought it to their attention.

As for mentioning R.U.S.E. as having the UBI DRM removed, this too is incorrect. It was never going to use that DRM for the Steam version as development based on Steamworks had started several months before UBI DRM was first planned.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Even when it was patched out of the non-Steam version, the patch’s release notes made no mention of it at all. Which is how it came to be a good fourteen months after the patch before I found this out and bought the game.

• Urthman says:

Batman Forever is on Steam? Where?

The Sombrero Kid says:

hmm that fact on it’s own wouldn’t be enough to make me buy it, but it does make it possible that i could be convinced to buy it now, it still feels like a cash in & cash in or not it’s definitely suffering from franchise fatigue at this point.

8. Gnoupi says:

On the Amazon.co.uk page : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-PC-DVD/dp/B003L0OVO2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297937382&sr=8-4

The box art displays a big “A permanent internet connection is required to play this game”.

So I wouldn’t place my hopes too high on the “no ubidrm”.

9. DiGi says:

And Bulletstorm will use GFWL… Another game that I will not buy just because that stupid Live service. Losting savegames, can’t play online if YOUR ACCOUNT is not from “good country”, messing updates (try find and download latest version od Life for x64 Windows).

• RegisteredUser says:

I would appreciate it if you also did not buy it because they – for no reason as they replied in a Q&A – limited the weapon slots to 2 on the PC version of Bulletstorm.

10. CMaster says:

Wait, is that a renaissance MLRS on the back of a rowing boat there?

11. Ravenger says:

I’m sure we’re going backwards here. Wasn’t there a push after the Spore fiasco to get publishers to disclose DRM in advance so we could make an informed choice?

Surely if a publisher discloses the PC specifications then the DRM system a game uses is a fundamental part of the specification?

EA have been less than open about the DRM in Dead Space 2 – not telling anyone about the solidshield DRM in advance, and on top of that not disclosing the Securom component for it’s release day check, and now Ubisoft isn’t bothering to tell us if their ludicrous always-online system will definitely be in the new AC game.

Of course it’s easy to see why – they’re scared they’ll lose sales, so they’re keeping quiet until all the pre-orders are in, and it’s too late to cancel.

I’m wise to that tactic now, and I’ve virtually given up pre-ordering games because of it. The only two I will pre-order are The Witcher 2 (No DRM) and Portal 2 (I know it’ll be Steam DRM). Everything else I’ll wait until after release to get, so I can study reviews and user feedback. I won’t buy anything that’s either a) has ludicrous DRM, b) is horrendously buggy, or c) Has huge amounts of forthcoming DLC (I’ll wait for the GOTY version, thanks).

Another advantage with not getting on launch day is that the games tend to drop in price anyway after a few weeks.

• arccos says:

Witcher 2 is really the only game I have and would ever pre-order at this point. There just doesn’t seem to be much point in doing it, since I can usually download the game in about an hour from a digital service whenever I decide to play it.

Maybe preorder bonuses? Are those ever really worth the risk of being stuck with a stinker?

• RegisteredUser says:

I would urge you and anyone to reconsider financial support for CD Projekt / the people behind selling the witcher, due to their open support for the extiortionist leeches within our legal system that have made a business out of not being proper lawyers, but simply sending out automated pay-up-or-else letters. Clogging up our courts, hurting our consumers and creating an ever increasing rift between game makers and fans/purchasers.

The mass lawyer letter sending has to be stopped by any means necessary. Please do not financially support the cause of exploitative, arrogant people like ACS Law and a near infinity like them.

12. mcwizardry says:

I suspect they are going to remain silent on the matter until shortly before the release and then confirm it will use UBI DRM.

Thermal Ions says:

I wouldn’t be holding my breath for confirmation of no UbiDRM. A check of the AC:B website has a big box on the bottom which states “Permanent Internet Connection is Required to Play this Game”

As a comparison, it’s absent from RUSE – http://ruse.uk.ubi.com/ http://ruse.us.ubi.com/

• StingingVelvet says:

That mock up for the box has existed for 6 months though, it doesn’t really mean much.

That said neither does the lack of warning on Steam, since they often do not list DRM details at the start of a pre-order.

14. Nick says:

how about posting news when its actually confirmed.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Indeed. speculation based on an absence of evidence is pointless and does Ubisoft a favour by encouraging people to assume a positive that may not exist.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

But there are thousands of studies that show that Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood does not have Ubisoft’s always-online DRM. Unfortunately I don’t have the references to hand…

15. Optimaximal says:

You’d have thought that given it’s multiplayer focus, Steamworks would be the way to go. Hell, it’s the only reason people actually bought R.U.S.E…

16. Unaco says:

I hope this is the case… not for myself, haven’t played any AssCreed games (because of that abbreviation alone), but for the other PC gamers that deserve to not be treated with suspicion after they give a sizeable amount of hard earned shekels to a company. Unfortunately, as a lot of people have said above… this hasn’t been confirmed, and some things point to it being false.

So, when/if this turns out to be false or a misunderstanding (like the “BulletStorm needing a constant connection” story) are people going to pile in and decry fail journalism, unnecessary hyping and bias for AAA developers from RPS? And by people, I generally meant Kadayi. Maybe you should get an interview with Johnny Indie Hipster to balance the day out.

17. bill says:

From what i’ve heard, Steam often doesn’t disclose DRM until close to or after launch. It tends to generate outrage at regular intervals.

Speaking of which, Steam really needs some kind of public statement of policies (what’s that called again?). For example:
    – We promise that we’ll list the DRM before it goes on sale.
    – We promise to update pages and software in a timely fashion when publishers give us the information.
    etc…

18. Grey says:

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood + Draconian UbiDRM = Ass’ Creed: The Brothelhood

~_~

19. Nasser says:

I always chuckle at Ass Creed: Broh/Bruvhood. Also, I thought this was confirmed months ago when Ubisoft said they’l be ditching the AC2 DRM? Anyway, I do hope it’s true.

20. crainey92 says:

I’m not all that bothered about wether it will have DRM or not although obviously it would be better if it didn’t but I won’t be buying this till Steam does a sale on it, which they will (<3 Steam).

21. Quickman says:

Well, I guess I’ll buy it now.

22. Iskariot says:

If they ditch that ridiculous DRM I will buy the game immediately on the first day of release for full price instead of waiting for it to land in the bargain bin for less than 10 euro. If they do the same for Assassin’s Creed 2 then I will buy that game immediately also. They are great games and deserve my money. I would love to complete my Assassin’s creed collection.

23. Torgen says:

I want the next part of the AssCreed movie! That was far better than any other live action video game promotion that I’ve ever seen.

24. Doth Messar says:

I love ass creed.

25. Navagon says:

The steamworks deal for RUSE was signed and sealed long before the Ubisoft mental pendulum swung once more towards panic stricken DRM shenanigans. It was never a sign of returning sanity in Ubisoft that it didn’t employ their latest paying customer controlling bullshit.
    That said, I don’t know why people consider UbiDRM to be any worse than the Starforce they were using before their DRM-free period.

• Iskariot says:

I agree. Starforce was indeed awful. I only bought games that used this intrusive DRM after they had landed in the bargain bin for a few bucks. I also had my own ways of dealing with the buggy Starforce driver that was installed without warning.

• Saiko Kila says:

1. Starforce wasn’t causing any problems for many people, or causing only minor problems. And main problem of starforce was implementation.
      2, ubidrm is bad on principle. People who feel fine for ubidrm probably don’t remember (or don’t know, if they’re not European) that there were widespread problems with that DRM when servers went down, ubi even was handing free copies of games to people affected. And it causes many people with not very stable connection, like me. And it decreases resale value and longevity of the game. The servers will go down under, earlier or later, and patching this kind of DRM would be very hard and costly.

heretic says:

does DRM really reduce piracy?

it only inconveniences legitimate buyers :/ games will be cracked eventually so they will get pirated anyway.

is it really the case that the time lag to crack the game (sometimes very small, or negative) will cause some inpatient teenagers to buy the game instead of pirating it? and this is where the increase of sales comes from for justifying crappy DRM?

27. rocketman71 says:

Sounds good. If that gets confirmed, Ubi only has to throw in LAN play to make me buy the first Ubi game in a loooooooooong time.

28. 7rigger says:

If Ubisoft confirm this, I’ll preorder my copy straight away. Hell, patch it out of Assassins Creed 2 and I’ll happily buy that as well.

29. 7rigger says:

@Grape Flavor
    You have made me a very happy man :)
    Downloading Assassins Creed 2 form steam now!

*edit*

Reply fail. I’m still happy though. Time to go and stab people up!

30. Jugglenaut says:

Damnit RPS! I’m quoting this article for a class paper, and you just have to have a title which might get a bit of a backlash from my instructor. Whatever, I’m still doing it. What I’m really trying to say is, RPS, I love you.

31. rocketman71 says:

Edit: nevermind, wrong link ¬¬

Durkonkell says:

Curse you Sir! I had a torrent of blazing abuse all ready to unleash upon the world!

On the other hand, yay, still potentially the possibility of this being a game I might be able to purchase. Please do notify us if you find that the situation changes.

32. KenTWOu says:

“The PC version of Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, after an initial login, will be playable offline in single player mode,” confirmed the rep.

It looks like we need an internet connection only when we boot the game, just like Conviction and Assassin’s Creed 2 DRM.