CCP Confirm “Captain’s Quarters” For Eve

By Jim Rossignol on February 18th, 2011 at 10:41 am.

With the new avatars in and the game trundling towards is ambition of having all the pilots have their own fully-ambulatory avatar to walk around the interior of space stations, CCP are starting to make progress towards giving players more than just a ship to play with. According to this devblog the “Captain’s Quarters”, complete with your avatar inhabiting it, will appear on Eve’s test server within the next six weeks. It’s going to be single player, essentially offline to begin with, but it’s the first stage, say CCP, to implementing the full “Walking In Stations” tech. I’ve posted the original demo from 2008, so you can see what CCP are aiming for with this.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. DevilSShadoW says:

YES. This is it. The begging of what I’ve been waiting for. I love you CCP. I love you EVE Online.

• kyrieee says:

No it’s not. They’ve spent 4 years working on this crap while neglecting core gameplay

• Howard says:

@Kyrieee – Yes, most definitely. Until CCP actually man up and make a fully functional game with the elements they already have in place then I have no interest in this utterly pointless eye-candy bullshit. You don’t start to decorate and make things look nice until your foundations are actually set and your rooms have walls.

• Howard says:

@mandril
      Yay – took 2 whole seconds for the evetards to turn up with their “I’m a big hard man and you are pathetic and weak” phrases and acronyms. Idiotic little twats…

• nochnoy_dozor says:

@Howard: Game development doesn’t work that way. lrn2DevBlog.

• WeFlySpitfires says:

Walking around will be pretty cool but I’d rather they gave us the ability to actually control and fly the ships. Then I could use a joystick. Just like Riker did in Insurrection.

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

More than anything else I want proper docking, not just this ‘disappear outside station, reappear inside station’ nonsense. Considering how long it takes to dock a basic transition animation wouldn’t add any time to the experience.

• GHudston says:

@WeFlySpitfires
      When will people stop saying this?! EVE is naval warfare, not dog fighting. In real world terms: you aren’t a fighter pilot; you’re an aircraft carrier or a battleship.
      You don’t fly these things with a joystick, you give orders to your crew or ship subsystems so that they can go about the complicated task of shooting an artillery shell the size of a mini cooper at whatever it is that you don’t like.

@Howard
      EVE is a perfectly functional, incredibly deep, vastly open ended game. Have you considered the possibility that you -JUST DON’T LIKE IT-?! You are allowed to have your own opinions and tastes, there are games that I don’t enjoy either, but that doesn’t make me wrong because I disagree with you. It doesn’t make me an “idiotic little twat” either, but that sort of thing says more about your maturity than it does about mine.

2. mandrill says:

For a start, the image and the video bear little relation to what is actually going to appear on Tranquillity in the summer, apart from the fact that its a man with arms and legs walking around a room.

There are no videos of the current form that Incarna is going to take, and as it has been in development for a looooong time I wouldn’t be surprised none of the promotional gubbins that has been released for it to date is entirely relevant anymore.

3. stahlwerk says:

Mr. Space Trucker looks worried. What’s bothering you, Mr. Trucker?

4. Kelduum Revaan says:

It;s best to count all the stuff up till now as concept and target renders, rather than something which was definitely going to happen.

With the New Character Creator and all the other changes, there’s a ton of differences since the last concept stuff 18 months or so ago.

CCP are moving toward smaller, more frequent updates too, which is great, and even after almost 5 years, I’m excited to see what’s coming up.

5. tomeoftom says:

Bruce Willis in space!

6. Tei says:

This is a RPG.
    Hence it need taverns. Space Taverns.
    What people (specially Captains) do in Space Taverns?
    Start fights, play poker.

Its obvious to me that CCP must implement next something like “WoW Battlegrounds”, where people from all the server can join Space Taverns Battles.

All taverns must be equipped with a lot of destructible material, so the fighters *destroy* the tavern in the process to punch his enemies in the face.

Space Taverns should be areas where you where able to socialize, and punch people in the face with a chair. How to implement that?, maybe have the owner able to “stop” the battle calling some bouncers that will extract the fighters from the tavern, so if you are a troublemaker, as soon you start trouble, the bouncer expell you. Maybe even have “faction points” in taverns, so if you have something like -1000, you are not even allowed to enter the tavern.

Whiskey, Hookers, Space Ships…. and Black Jack!.

Imagine being able to bet a whole planet, or a capital ship, and lose it, in a cards game.

7. terry says:

The next logical step after this is to add mounts. And then armour for them. And then flying ones.

8. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Better not to have posted a video at all, what is this, linkbait? Three years is an eternity in game development terms.

EDIT: WTF with the reply function making a new entry and not a reply?

9. Phoshi says:

Ok, the moment this in EVE, I’m subscribing. Fuck the money, fuck the time requirement, fuck my social life, EVE will have officially become everything I want in a space simulation.

10. AdamK117 says:

So…its noww……eve second life?

11. Gap Gen says:

Now they need to go one more step towards Bioware and allow you to invite other pilots back for dodgy pre-rendered sex.

12. Batolemaeus says:

So what will the gameplay be like?

13. jplayer01 says:

… that was surprisingly boring and uninteresting. What do they actually intend to do with the in-station stuff besides letting us clothe our avatars?

14. MisterT says:

I’d rather see them implement starship bridges somehow.

Comment on this story