In Other Telltale News…

By John Walker on February 18th, 2011 at 8:27 am.

scott great!

Not only is episode 2 of Telltale’s Back To The Future out today, but there’s also confirmation that they are indeed working on a game based on the comic/TV show The Walking Dead. The super-glum series focuses on the lives of a group of survivors post-zombie apocalypse, and seems like yet another unlikely choice for the episodic point-n-clickers. Telltale have confirmed a multi-year, multi-platform development deal, made in collaboration with Robert Kirkman. The first installment is due by the end of the year. A brief interview with Kirkman on IGN yields no other information about the game, other than that it will be episodic. Meanwhile, you can find the new BTTF trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. SquareWheel says:

But The Walking Dead was awful?

• Joe Duck says:

No it wasn’t! :-)
      Still, it is interesting that they want to make a Walking Dead game as an adventure game. So basically I am making the very same objection as for Jurassic Park, I guess. And as with Jurassic Park, if they pull it off it’d be nice.

• Baboonanza says:

It really was. Banal plot, terrible acting, unsympathetic characters, complete lack of a single original idea. There really was very little to commend it other than the fact it had zombies in it.

• Optimaximal says:

Can’t comment on the TV series, but the graphic novels are fantastic – Heaven forbid Telltale base the games on the original source material and not just the ‘popular’ TV version.

• Thirith says:

The IGN interview confirms that the games will be based on the comic, not the TV series (which wasn’t bad but definitely suffered from “been there, done that” syndrome).

I thought The Walking Dead comic was okay, but one thing I disliked about it (at least in the first couple of volumes): Kirkman writes these extremely verbose speech bubbles, which to my mind isn’t a particularly good use of the medium. Someone like Alan Moore can pull it off, but with Kirkman the dialogues could’ve been tightened and you wouldn’t have ended up with too many panels where the speech bubble takes up 3/4 of the space.

• lhzr says:

the series is a typical soap opera, with corny lines, people cheating on each other just so they can have even more pointless conversations afterwards and a lot of serious (read: eyerolling) stuff going on, like latino gangs of umm.. gangsters taking care of elderly people. with zombies (rarely) thrown in.

it’s alternatively cheesy and boring. that being said, i’ve watched the full first season and i’m prolly gonna keep watching, but then again i like being able to laugh at a movie’s expense and i like zombies.

• Jikid says:

In all seriousness – do not evaluate The Walking Dead based on the banal TV show which is much-much worse than the original comics.

• DoucheMullet says:

Wow, it’s like I’m really in Starbucks.

• Joe Duck says:

I really liked the comic, the TV series was a mixed bag, the 2 first episodes were quite good and the end of the season a total disaster. As soon as they moved away from the comic’s tone of realistic desperation, it lost all interest.
      I’m very curious to see this game.

• costyka says:

Also of note – the first episode has arrived to those who expressed their wish to have it a few weeks (or more) back. For free that is. It’s to be found in your proprietary inbox service as I have discovered this morning and greatly enjoined downloading it. Hopefully it’s any good.

• DrGonzo says:

I actually haven’t bothered to watch the TV series yet based on the fact that I really didn’t like the comics. It should have been titled, ‘Oh no! Not more Zombies!?’

2. Vague-rant says:

Hrm. I was hoping for a second season of Tales of Monkey Island, but with so many different projects going on Telltale seems to be too busy to release it any time soon. Jurassic Park still interests me though.

• Xocrates says:

I was under the impression that a second season of Monkey Island depended more on Lucasarts than Telltale itself.

3. sonofsanta says:

The free episode is also available today, which has made my wife very happy and significantly cheered up her sick day today.

4. granit tezgah says:

5. StingingVelvet says:

I was briefly into Vertigo “graphic novels” from about 2001 to 2003 and I remember reading Fables. That could be quite an awesome Telltale series that perfectly suits them, if I am remembering it correctly (sort of a detective story set in a world where all fables exist).

Never heard of or watched the other thing.

6. deadsexy says:

Apparently, they are also making a Fables game.

7. Deano2099 says:

Yep, Walking Dead announced, Fables leaked, three more projects to be announced this week.

8. Flimgoblin says:

I’d get this were it not for my Emmettophobia

I’ll get my coat…

9. JonasKyratzes says:

I thought the TV show was surprisingly dreadful (given the writers and producers involved), but if the game is based on the comic, perhaps it’ll be better.

• lhzr says:

yeah, i also thought it’d be better, having darabont’s name on it.

same thing with green hornet.if i didn’t know, i would have never guessed gondry was behind it.

oh well.

• Collic says:

I didn’t really think that much of the comic to be honest.

• Vandelay says:

Gondry was supposedly a bit of a last minute addition to the Green Hornet; apparently, it showed (not seen it, but was immediately put off when I heard it had very little Gondry in it.)

As for The Walking Dead, wow! Obviously the universal acclaim it was getting was everywhere but RPS. I thought it was good stuff. Had seen pretty much everything it did in some zombie film somewhere, but it did it well. Bear in mind though, I don’t read comics and had never heard of it until the TV show, so that could be clouding others’ judgements.

10. RegisteredUser says:

Also the free episode got unlocked some days ago.