Not That Episode 3: More The Silver Lining

By Alec Meer on February 18th, 2011 at 6:50 pm.

Mum?

For a wonderful second I was convinced this was the fourth episode of the unofficial King’s Quest fan-game The Silver Lining, and was all braced to use the headline “Four Ever Cloud.” Imagine how clever and funny that would have been. Just. Imagine. Instead, you’re stuck with whatever the heck I’ve written up there instead. I haven’t even decided what it is yet, I’m just hoping inspiration will somehow strike as I’m typing this.

So, The Silver Lining – a free game made by devout enthusiasts of the old Sierra adventure series (the ones that some people keep complaining we didn’t cover in The List, which spans the last two decades; as I said in comments somewhere, an 80s appendix strikes me as a good idea for the near-future). Episode 3 here now, and its trailer is below.

While King’s Quest is a sprawling old series, TSL is particularly aimed those who wanted more of the characters in King’s Quest IV. John WITed the first episode last year and found it technically impressive, especially given its fan-origins, but a little lacking on meaty game-stuff; we’ve not had his thoughts on episode 2, but I hear it was somewhat improved. What of episode 3, My Only Love Sprung From My Only Hate? See what you think…

Lavish – which isn’t necessarily something you’d expect from something released for free, by and for a relatively niche crowd.

Official blurb is that this installment is “bigger, darker, and more exciting than anything that’s come before it. Graham’s quest grows more mysterious due to strange visions of old foes and unexplained oddities in the Land of the Green Isles. And Queen Valanice seems to have reached her breaking point…”

Devs Phoenix Online Studios are also hosting some in-game competitions and challenges of sort, which you can attempt to master via the instructions here.

The game itself is available here; if you have the first two episodes installed already grab the smaller one, otherwise you’ll want the Full Version which includes all three chunkettes to date.

Oh yes, and it’s also worth reminding yourself of the battle Phoenix had to fight against Activision to get this made.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. James G says:

Gah, that picture gave me a start.

2. Text_Fish says:

:( For a brief, very glorious moment when I loaded the front page I thought some news had broken on HL2:EP3. Then for a brief, slightly less glorious moment I looked at the image and wondered what the hell Valve were playing at. Then I realised there was no HL2:EP3 news and was saddened. Then I looked at the wonderful art in this game right here in this post and was gladdened. :)

3. battlefield 3 cdkey cheap says:

battlefield 3 will be better then this for sure

4. TheGroovyMule says:

What? Isn’t that a picture of a Vortigaunt?

5. Anarki says:

Obligatory “no staring eyes tag?” post

6. Nic Clapper says:

Have yet to try these — was put off by what I heard about the first one but will prolly give it a shot at some point.

Also in related I just read that Telltale will be making an official reboot of Kings Quest as well.

• Lambchops says:

Just how many games are Telltale making at the moment?

Haven’t got round to giving Back to the Future episodes a whirl yet; I’m slightly more suspicious of their games when they take on big franchises after Wallace and Gromit. They just seem to work better with the old Lucas Arts stuff. never played the original King’s Quest games as I wasn’t a big Sierra fan (tales of games failed for small errors did not entice me to play) but i’ll certain;y keep my eye on the new incarnation as those sort of foibles fortunately wont be present in modern games.

• Nic Clapper says:

Yea def seems like they are keeping busy. I enjoyed the few KQ games I played back in the day well enough — tho I would prefer to see someone reboot the Space Quest series in some way :)

• TheGameSquid says:

I just received a mail from TellTale detailing the projects they’re currently working on. It’s pretty ridiculous:

“The Walking Dead – We’re partnering with series creator Robert Kirkman on games based on his award-winning comic series.

Fables – The world of fairy tales and folklore meet the real world in our episodic game based on the celebrated DC/Vertigo comic series.

Puzzle Agent 2 – The cliffhanger ending of Nelson Tethers’ investigation into the strange happenings in Scoggins, MN unfolds into a new puzzley adventure in our follow-up to the award-winning pilot!

Hector: Badge of Carnage – We’re continuing this comedic and unseemly crime story, with Episode 1 already in the iTunes App Store, in a partnership with Straandlooper Studios.

King’s Quest – Return to the Kingdom of Daventry as we create brand new adventures in this classic adventure game series.”

And they’re working on both the Jurassic Park and Back To The Future games currently…

7. qrter says:

When Thane Krios Attacks

8. theleif says:

Alec, know that I’m here for you if you ever decide you want to talk about your mummy issues.

9. patricij says:

QFG was better than KQ for me…

10. Newblade says:

Will this be affected by the TellTalle reboot?

11. bill says:

To be fair, it’s worth noting that Activision did allow this to go ahead. That’s unexpectedly nice.

Also, the “recent comments” box is FULL OF SPAM because zhenghhp has posted about his shoes website on every thread. Is it really not possible to block any posts that contain that web address, or users from that IP range? The spam all seems to be on the same topic from the same source – a few well chosen keywords should be able to block it.

12. Axez D. Nyde says:

Notice how the fine Lady in the opening screenshot painted hernails blue and red to distinguish left and right hand.
    That’s how I like my girls. Dumb and totally Sexy.

13. Robert says:

Don’t use “Episode 3″ unless you want to zombify your reader base.. :(

PS: Hereby I suggest that -like skipping the 13th floor in building- game series skip over part III.

Comment on this story