The 122 Best PC Games Ever

By RPS on February 21st, 2011 at 12:38 pm.

BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM

…in our opinion. Where once this list denoted the singular tastes of six separate minds, now we are bonded into one, mighty Hivemind. This, then, is The List Of Lists: the 122 Best PC Games of The Last 22 Years. All games have been re-ordered by release date, revealing one year in particular as the best that PC gaming has ever seen so far. Which do you think that might be?

These are Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s most favoured PC games between the sacred period 1989 to 2011: all of these games are each in their own way precious, vital things that deserve to have shrines erected in their honour, first-borns sacrificed to them, that sort of thing. Is your favourite game missing? Well, you haven’t asked us what our 123rd best PC game is, have you? Aha! And don’t get us started on the 177th. This list is, of course, merely the start of the discussion, not the end of it – there are many more gems undocumented here, so please do suggest them. Perhaps one day soon we shall add to the list (and, indeed, expand the years covered). Meantime, clicking on each game-name will take you to a short essay on why we’ve chosen it and a few thoughts on why we believe it has a certain degree of importance beyond mere personal fondness.

Behold! THE LIST!

Why 122? Why 22? Oh, we could never tell you that. A terrible thing would happen if we did. What we can tell you is that we’re very grateful to Intel’s App Up Developer Program for sponsoring this titanic endeavour. Now, onwards, and to battle…

1989

2006

2007

2008

2009

2010

____

And there you have it. That’s it – for now…

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. torchedEARTH says:

I concur.

Just emailed GOG to get System Shock 2 on their catalogue.

• Shadowcat says:

That should do it.

• J. says:

There’s always the game wishlist on GOG (Sshock2 is on the top).

• torchedEARTH says:

@Shadowcat

Laughter Snort!

@J

Oh yeah…I never knew about that. Oh well.

• EthZee says:

I ordered a secondhand copy of SS2 last week. It’s arrived today. But I must do other things before I can play it. Bah!

• Vorrin says:

Well done, more people should have played that, though it risks spoiling most other games for you afterwards, or at least did for me :D (that, and Ultima 7, best two in the list imo).

• Casimir's Blake says:

Having System Shock 2 on GoG’s lists isn’t nearly as desirable as SOME NEW CAMPAIGNS.

I’ve just discovered the utterly marvellous King’s Field series, so finally I have some serious hardcore dungeon crawling to trudge through again. But no, there is almost no-one making these first-person immersive sims any more, and it is a crying shame. There are fewer and fewer people making Thief missions (thank goodness for The Dark Mod), and no-one seems to be making more content for System Shock 2.

And there is still no Ultima Underworld 3.

Much as I’m glad to see UU, Thief, System Shock etc on this list, it only further reinforces how tastes have changed and how little there is of this type of game being made any more.

And I bloody wish that wasn’t the case. :(

• Scypher says:

Personally i think there are a few missing from that

Everquest, Shadowman, and X Wing off the top of my head

Everquest was one of the biggest MMORPG pre-WOW and massively indepth scenes, child hood memories of screaming “TRAIN TO ZONE” in crushbone will stay with me forever!

Shadowman scared the sh!t out of me hunting down serial killers with the power of the night absorbing evil souls.

and X Wing was a fantastic space sim, with the premise of hardcore mode, if you died you lsot your medals and epeen

2. Icarus says:

Baldur’s Gate was in one of the List articles but seems to be missing from this uber-compilation. Sadface.

3. WeFlySpitfires says:

Holy heck, flashback central! Tie Fighter, Warcraft, Quake, Blade Runner… some true classics there that robbed me of my childhood.

• BeamSplashX says:

You mean made your childhood.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I find it quite funny that in the 2 years following Diablo 2, I didn’t really play any of those games, although realized the beauty of Morrowind sometime later, man, D2 ate some hours up :O, coop play was too much fun..

• Nesetalis says:

tiefighter.. diablo II.. warcraft II… these are where my childhood went.

4. Dozer says:

That timeline is very impressive. Gives great context to what games were like when IL-2 Sturmovik was released in 2001. 2001! Write that down in your copybooks now.

I mean, it’s older than Morrowind.

5. Patches the Hyena says:

No San Andreas? Sad puppies all over the world.

ropable says:

Superb feature, chaps. Nostalgia city.

7. Xocrates says:

It’s clearly missing Space Marine in Space Vs Space Aliens (from Space) and 9.8:

/blatantselfpromotion

But overall a very solid list with the odd entry or two.

Zephro says:

98/99 – 2004 was a Golden Age. I am turning into that old git now.

Colthor says:

I disagree with your Golden Age. 1996 – 2001.

Maybe even as far back as ’93.

• Sarlix says:

I agree with Colthor’s Golden Age.

• LionsPhil says:

You’ve got to include 1995, else you’re missing Worms, Command & Conquer, and Full Throttle, which would clearly make you a silly person.

1999 was another huge peak as the article shows.

• Sarlix says:

Well I was actually taking it from 93-2001 :p

• Ian says:

I got briefly excited there. When post-skimming I thought we were inexplicably talking about Golden Axe.

• Sarlix says:

haha

Well we all know The Revenge of Death Adder is the best Golden Axe.

9. terry says:

In the first time in the history of internet lists, I am entirely satisfied. Good job, chaps.

10. zergrush says:

I think Myth deserved some kind of mention.
    And those lists are making me put a lot of stuff on my GoG wishlist ~.~

• Eclipse says:

Myth was indeed an awesome serie. Also no Another World and no Outcast?

I think that RPG should also do a sort of “forgotten gems” feature with games like Silver, Montezuma’s Revenge, Dreamweb, Fade to Black, Dreams to Reality, Little Big Adventure 2, MDK, Messiah, Sacrifice, Giants and so on….

• Kieron Gillen says:

Outcast is there!

KG

• zergrush says:

Sacrifice’s on the list (:

Absolutely awesome game, it baffles me that no one thought that copying its style and gameplay would be a good idea. And it would probably be the RTS “system” most suited for consoles too.

Oozo says:

“Another World” was briefly mentioned in the “Flashback”-essay. Even though it is the one game I certainly would put on the list – it proved to be a lot more influential. (Rarely have heard a designer mention “Flashback” as an important influence, while with “Another World”, that’s kinda common.)
      Also, not considered, but not really un-important:
      – The original Prince of Persia (and maybe The Last Express)
      – Alone In The Dark
      – Pirates
      – Ultima Online
      – Myst (didn’t like it, but, you know, important…)
      – And a lot of old RPGs, like the Might&Magic-series or the Dark Eye-trilogy (even though those are rather personal choices than actually important games)
      – And what Rocketman says down there.
      Edit: Which isn’t to say that it’s not a great list. It is. Yes, indeed, it is.

• Artist says:

Pirates! is from 1987, so older than 22 years.

MajorManiac says:

@ zergrush :

To my mind Sacrifice copys the gameplay of Magic Carpet. I wish there are more games of this type too.

11. Stephen Roberts says:

I’d like to check in my penis points total. I have played fourty of the games from this list. Do I get a bronze medal, some gamer points or at least some sort of ker-plonk noise?

I am aware that no one cares! You obviously don’t understand the Internet. How many points did you get?

12. MeestaNob says:

Cant believe my beloved TF2 is from way back in 2007, it still feels fresh thanks to the superb graphics style and constant updates.

From the list:
    Most important year: 1996 – Quake , Duke, Civ 2? Holy shit.
    Best year: 1998 – Baldur’s Gate, Battlezone, Half Life, Thief. Christ what time consuming and fun year that was!

• Novotny says:

Cannot believe 2007 is considered ‘way back’. Wherever my lawn is, get off it.

• LionsPhil says:

Quite. I was looking in mild bafflement that some of these were as late into the ’90s as that…

13. rei says:

Is the top picture a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference? [EDIT: obviously; somehow I didn’t see the monkeys at first]

All in all, now that’s it’s all in one place, a very nice list. Hits most of my bases (largely LGS-related, and RPGs), and happily even recognises Blade Runner which I thought I was the only person in the world to remember and love.

14. BigglesB says:

Wow, seeing them in chronological order like that is a bit like watching my whole gaming life flash before my eyes… From clumsily playing lemmings on a friend’s professor-dad’s IBM-compatible to being jealous of my bro’s 486 he got for his university physics course cos it could play doom in full screen without slowdown. Then getting excited about rumours the X-Wing sequel would let you play as the Empire… and how it had actual voices in the cut-scenes… All intermixed with moving schools, different friends over the years, growing up, years I played more, years I played less. It’s a funny lense through which to see your life, at any rate.

Some truly excellent choices there, chaps. And good on Intel for giving you all moneys :)

• vodkarn says:

“This Rebel base has no hope of escape. Commence the attack!”

I still can hear that in my head.

15. popeguilty says:

You’ve forgotten 1992’s Alone in the Dark, which established the format for the survival horror genre and was one of the very first full-screen 3D games. How sad that it’s forgotten now when it was so innovative and influential.

16. kyrieee says:

Silver, Sacrifice and the other games you mentioned deserve to go on a nostalgia list, not a best ever list. Myth II, however, does deserve to be on this list

edit: bah, broken reply

• OpT1mUs says:

Sacrifice most definitely deserves it’s spot on the list.

Monchberter says:

The Yerli brothers are weeping tears of frustration due to the non appearance of any Crytek games. GIven their graphical fidelity and finely honed mechanics I’m surprised neither Far Cry or Crysis made the lists.
    And then there’s the final insult that the ‘noble failure’ that is Ubisoft’s Far Cry 2 slipped in!

• faelnor says:

Agreed. While the sandbox/quest aspect of Far Cry 2 was nothing new at the time – especially after the grandiose game that is STALKER – both Far Cry and Crysis were highly influencial. The drive for better graphics engines they started has shaped for best or worse our PC games. FC2 achieved nothing similar.
      Still, this is a nice list with some very good games – obviously everyone will disagree with a few titles but most basics are covered.

• Ultimanecat says:

Really, the list was great but the inclusion of Far Cry 2 is…well the nicest term I can think for it is “charitable”.

I don’t know if I’d include the original Far Cry either but Ubi’s sequel is every bit the glorified tech-demo that Crysis is wrongly accused of being.

• Urthman says:

Far Cry 2 looks much better than Crysis, and kicks it’s ass in performance as well. There I said it.

• Oak says:

You can dislike Far Cry 2. You can be bored by Far Cry 2. You can consider Far Cry 2 a failed experiment. But if you think Far Cry 2 was a “tech demo”, you are entirely wrong.

phuzz says:

I think if you didn’t enjoy FC2 then you are entirely sensible, but somehow there was something I loved about that game, and it would be in my top 20 odd games.
      but yeah, most people don’t like it with good reason.

• Oak says:

I agree that it is entirely sensible, and I too was once frustrated with the game to the point of wanting to quit, but when it is dismissed as generic or nothing new or, God give me strength, a tech demo, something in my head goes kerplode and my eyes start doing somersaults.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Far Cry 2 had no depth. Walk / drive somewhere, shoot people, complete quests by pressing a button / picking up an item… walk / drive somewhere, shoot people etc etc

Compare that to everything you don’t expect to happen – which inevitably does happen – in an average hour of Stalker gameplay, and FC2 looks pretty simplistic by comparison. It was very polished, but terribly uninspired.

18. westyfield says:

I’ve played 28 of those games. Someone shame me by having played all of them.

• faelnor says:

I’m at 86, though 2 or 3 of them I haven’t played to completion. Most of the games I haven’t played are either MMOs or strategy games for which I generally don’t have enough patience.

• sassy says:

I’m at 79 but you add 6 extras that I own but haven’t yet played.

• rei says:

87! Although many of them I haven’t finished, and I counted BG1/2 and FO1/2 as separate, which I’m not sure they are as far as the 122 is concerned.

I think I’ve played just about everything listed under the 90s, which speaks volumes about my childhood.

• Easydog says:

64. Just over half, which makes me happy.

• Sarlix says:

@rei Can I have your childhood please?

19. Teronfel says:

Why there is no Gothic game???

• Plivesey says:

Unfortunately the Gothic series is a very underrated and unknown one, meaning it will probably get missed of the majority of ‘Great PC Games’ lists. Gothic 2 with NotR is definitely my favourite PC RPG ever though.

• BeamSplashX says:

I remember playing through Gothic II with Night of the Raven around the end of last year. I think I may have undersold how fun it was by gleefully pointing out the number of enemies that could kill me in one or two hits whenever someone asked me how it was.

Great game, but Outcast is mostly in the same niche and has the uniqueness of its voxelized world. I remember wishing for something like Gothic with guns near the end of the game before I remembered that Outcast existed! I do wish there was a Fallout-esque game that played like Gothic though, or at least borrowed II’s close-combat mechanics (minus the wonkiness).

Daiv says:

Excellent, my flux capacitor is charged! Now… Through the power of SCIENCE, I will RETURN to the GREATEST YEAR EVER in PC gaming. Farewell, fellow future-nauts, this bleak wasteland of soylent games will no longer nourish me.

• latedave says:

Surely you should add a year or are you simply going to link up with the RPS search-o-matic 3000?

21. rocketman71 says:

Sad that the pre-1989 games were cut. There is a lot of very important games before that date: King’s Quest, Zork, Moria, The Ancient Art of War, Lords of Conquest, The Great Escape, the old Dragonlance RPGs, Bard’s Tale, the original Test Drive…

There’s a lot of important post-1989 games missing, also: where is Star Control 2, for example?. Populous?. Silent Hunter?. Panzer General?. Lands of Lore?. Wing Commander?.

Any of those deserve a place in that list, more so than the touched up rehash that is StarCraft 2, for example. StarCraft 1 does deserve a place, though.

Here’s hoping Intel coughs some more dough and we get a pre-1989 list.

• Shazbut says:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Star Control 2 is the biggest omission for me. Other major games I can think of could be justifiable in their absence (debatable quality, already have an equivalent on the list), but not SC2.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Agreed, the absence of Star Control 2 is inexcusable. Still unmatched as sci-fi adventures with token resource management go, I would say. Glad to see that some fans are finally putting together an unofficial sequel with the Ur-Quan Masters engine.

• KingMudkip says:

Heck yes, StarCraft 1 deserves a spot! Thank you, kind sir!

• DAOWAce says:

Yeah, is this a joke? Starcraft 2?

I played Starcraft for over 10 years and now and shifted over to Starcraft 2 (competitively), and SC2 in no way deserves a spot on that list over Starcraft. Maybe with the final ‘expansion’ (full priced game) it could move up spots on some lists; but it most definitely does not belong on any “best games of all time” list. (at least not yet)

• Olderman says:

Pre-89… Lords of Conquest, Pirates!, Wasteland, Might and Magic, Ultima…

These kids don’t know what they’ve missed.

22. misterk says:

So 1999 was the best game for gaming? FACT!

• faelnor says:

No but the best game for gaming may have been released in 1999!

As for me, I guess it was 1994 that could pretend to be the pinnacle of PC gaming. I surely miss those days!

• Sarlix says:

No, no, no.

The best gaming year was 1998. Everyone knows that! Sheesh

• sassy says:

best gaming year is right now, since all these classics have already been released.

I do have a fondness for 98 though

• Sarlix says:

Look, don’t make me get my 1998 PCFormat Gold demo disc to prove it!

I’ll get.

I will..

You’ve been warned!

• rei says:

1992 to 1998 probably has the highest nostalgia density for me, mostly thanks to Looking Glass, Origin, Bullfrog, and Black Isle. Those were the days :(

• Koozer says:

Incoming! I played that in split-screen with my brother! Me in the UFO, him in the Apache. We had to be careful to not press more than 4 buttons at he same time though or it wouldn’t register and one of us would careen into the floor. Those were the days.

• Urthman says:

Yes! And unlike the most of those years, I have a computer that can play almost anything I want at great frame rates. 2011 is best!

• Sarlix says:

@Koozer Incoming was great!

@Urthman I can see the Demo disc didn’t convince you…

*Initiates Plan B*

23. Zombleton says:

Still a bit sad not to see Unreal in any of the lists. I think it was incredibly important, but it often seems to get overlooked. Is it because it sat in the shadows cast by Quake 2 and Half-Life on either side, and so in hindsight gets forgotten?

Most big FPS releases at the time could boast some ‘innovative’ new gameplay mechanic or, more often, visual novelty, and although Unreal had more than its fair share of those that’s not why it’s so important. In my opinion at least, it was hands down the most atmospheric FPS of the nineties (and before anyone points out the obvious I don’t consider SS2 a contender in that category, it not really being an ‘FPS’ :).

• popeguilty says:

Unreal was fun, but UT eclipsed it in every way.

• Zombleton says:

Every way except the one I’m talking about ;)

• arghstupid says:

That first level was awesome – atmospheric and (for the time) downright beautiful. The sense of scale was something very different from the clautrophobia of quake et al. It went a bit downhill once you started shooting things, but one of the best beginnings to a game without a doubt.

24. The Codicier says:

Ok daft question i know but,,,

When did it switch from being a list of ‘Important Games’ to the’Best Games’?

I know i’m being slightly pedantic but:
    A: Best & Important are very different qualities. Was the 1st Dawn of War the most important in the series? Absolutely! The best? Quite possibly not.
    B: Making a statement like ‘best’ seems very non RPS thing. Idk i feel “Wot I think”‘s overt recognition of the subjectiveness of opinion is something which i love about this site.

anyways i’m probably making a mountains out of molehills, regardless of the title the choice of contents is superb

• Alec Meer says:

Read the first line after the headline, basically. ‘Importanceness’ was always meant to be somewhat subjective too.

• Plivesey says:

To your point A: DoW1 is better than DoW2, so that’s okay.

• The Codicier says:

Yeah i did read that Alec, its just that headline are …well they are headlines!(by which i mean they catch they eye and set the tone).

But as i say when push comes to shove i can’t fault the content, so its all good in the end.

• Consumatopia says:

One’s opinion on what is best is distinct from one’s opinion on what is important. Those opinions might coincide, but they’re still two distinct opinions.

• Alec Meer says:

These games are importantly the 122 best games.
      In our important opinion, which is the best opinion.

• Consumatopia says:

Fair enough.

25. latedave says:

Its a good list although I can’t help but feel stuff is missing even though I can’t really put my finger on it. I guess the real bugbear for me is no C&C: Red Alert. It was the first RTS game I remember being stable enough to be played over dialup and we spent hours playing it and dicking about with the map editor. I couldn’t find strike commander or privateer either which were both quite interesting and different at the time.

Also, where the hell was Sid Meirers Pirates? That was an amazing concept, a sandbox game with no ‘story’ but a ranking for how well you did, I loved that game. Otherwise I shall cease ranting and hail this noble effort!

26. _michal says:

Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory has been released in 2005, not 1995.

27. latedave says:

Concur on Dragon Age, that was a slog by the end, I actually ended up breaking from it and playing Balders Gate instead, hoping 2 is better but am more excited by the Witcher now.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Er, Dragon Age is on the list. Also, TIGHT =/= IMPORTANT.

29. Matt says:

Bioshock was released in 2007, not 2008.

30. killmachine says:

some nice memories come up there.

i got into pc gaming in 96-98 i think. played duke3d and quake with one of my friends computers. we played duke in coop mode. it was awsome. i never played multiplayer before. only on consoles on one tv set.

i also played trough bladerunner which had its own very special atmosphere. really cool when you got out of you apartment on the balcony. it had absolutely no purpose, it just looked cool and had some nice relaxing music.

btw. nice title picture. i just got that the keyboard is the monolith from 2001 the second time i looked at the picture. :)

31. obvioustroll says:

Lots of games missed out that have been huge time sinks in my life, but I guess that wasn’t the point of this list.

El_MUERkO says:

Well I’m glad that’s over.

33. ynamite says:

Aw man! I wish I was a lighty again during the 90s with the exception that my parents wouldn’t hassle me for spending too much time in front of the computer. I could have played all the classics I missed you know, considering all the spare time I had those days. But because my dear elders decided to hide the keyboard, lock the PC or simply send me away a few weeks to my cousin who lived in a household sans technology, I missed out on many awesome titles. Man, I hated it there.

34. bascule42 says:

Almost totally agree with the list, I havn’t played *all* games there, obviously, but most from each year segment. One niggle. B17 Flying Fortress/B17 FF The Mighty 8th. I’m sure it’s not just me who feels that this title was one of the most important and deeeply satisfying games at the time. Still great to see it’s stable mate UFO: Enemy Unkown up there. I would have to destroy RPS utterly if it wasn’t. As it is, I’ll just have to fire wet bits of paper at you guys from an empty biro tube. Watchout.

35. BooleanBob says:

No Commander Keen/Jazz Jackrabbit/Jill of the Jungle :|

No Alpha Centauri :(

No Broken Sword :'(

No Cave Story!!

No Psychonauts!!!

I swore I wouldn’t do this! GRAGAGARRGH LISTS

• KauhuK says:

I loved Jazz Jackrabbit. I still play the JJ2 sometimes. There was time when epic (megagames) made good games. Then they went full retard with UT3 and Gears of War. Also unreal engine makes all games that use it look the same (well except Mass Effect)

• Consumatopia says:

Cave Story is the most striking omission IMHO. I’ve played a lot of retro indie games that feel like they wanted to be old platform games. But after I played Cave Story, old platform games felt like they wanted to be Cave Story–Pixel managed to capture some essence of what those games were trying to be. It gives me what my 12-year old self was looking for in games but never really found.

It may not be the household name that World of Goo or Minecraft have become, but I believe it was deeply influential to indie game developers–certainly they keep mentioning it in their forums.

• Wilson says:

Psychonauts is under 2005.

• hysic says:

I knew you couldn’t hold out against the tidal waves of lists!

• BooleanBob says:

@ Consumatopia: You’ve put it more eloquently than I suspect I ever could. Bravo. I’d only add that it is one of few games that has a story to tell and does so almost flawlessly.
      @ Wilson: Well, sure, it is now. I think there were some technical fahujawotsits that a swift application of A Good Kicking to the RPS server seems now to have taken care of.
      @ Hysic: I hate lists ALMOST as much as I hate spoilers, or being asked about my new PC >:o

36. WJonathan says:

Wow, out of all the GTAs you picked IV. I dunno.

• Urthman says:

Yeah, that’s baffling to me. It was an impressive game, but it hasn’t had anything remotely like the impact of the GTA3, Vice City, & San Andreas trilogy.

37. Heliocentric says:

I know its hardly revolutionary but Grid combined lovely arcade racing and time rewind.

Gotta be worth a mention.

Monchberter says:

Agreed.

Better than the Dirt series too. The less said about F1 the better!

38. Easydog says:

I was hoping that ‘Chaos Engine’ would have made it. Ah well.

39. JackShandy says:

One word: Spacewar!

Harlander says:

One reply:

You mean Spacewar! for the PDP-1? It’s best with the Expensive Planetarium expansion.

40. Meat Circus says:

1999 was the Year of the Year (YotY)

41. amoe says:

i am really not sure what far cry 2 is doing on that list. this game was just repetitive, tedious and boring. for me this game was quite a disappointment.

42. AbyssUK says:

Would it be possible to combine the power of mobygames awesome database with RPS readers so we can have a user vote, each user picks their top ten ‘most important’ pc games… I’d love to see how the resulting top 100 would differ.
    The hivemind dictatorship has reign over us for too long! We shouldn’t have to put up with their lists being forced upon us. Revolt I say! we must use Facebook and Twitter to revolt their lists!

43. PedroBraz says:

1998:
    * Baldur’s Gate / Baldur’s Gate II
    * Battlezone
    * Falcon 4.0
    * Grim Fandango
    * Half-Life
    * Jedi Knight: Mysteries Of The Sith
    * Thief: The Dark Project
    + StarCraft, Fallout 2, Grand Theft Auto, Commandos: BEL, Unreal and Rainbow Six
    That was one helluva year.
    Others that comes to mind –
    2000: Unreal Tournament, Hitman

44. Hoaxfish says:

I tried doing this list on the 6/5 article… “comment too long”. Whoops.

45. Turin Turambar says:

If i may… my list. I wrote it around 4 years ago, it’s a bit outdated. I would had to include Morrowind, PS:T, Company Of Heroes, and some of the best games from 2007 onwards (Stalker, Portal, etc).
    There was little opinions and critics of each game, but in spanish, so here it’s only the list.

1. Doom I/II
    96. Shadowman
    97. Silent Hunter
    98. Collin McRae
    99. Diablo 2
    100. Master of Orion 2

• Urthman says:

Magic Carpet! Why is no one making a new Magic Carpet? That game would be so fantastic with modern technology.

46. Sudogamer says:

Anyone remember : Operation Stealth, Eternam, or KGB? All games that would go on my list, too. ..

47. ZephyrSB says:

Urban Chaos? That’s about the only one in the list that made me raise an eyebrow. Everything else looks in order.

48. TheGameSquid says:

1989 is clearly missing Midwinter!

Also, I was surprised to discover that I had actually played 64 games on the list. That might not seem like much, but considering that fact that the list actually starts a year before I was born, that ain’t too bad I’d say.

And now, on to the 500 HIDDEN GEMS list!

• MrThingy says:

And Carrier Command!
      And Populous!

=[

The youth of today…

• Gary W says:

Hidden Gems 372-376:

372. Realms of the Haunting
      373. Strife
      374. The Last Express
      375. Pro Pinball: Big Race USA
      376. Lands of Lore

• TheGameSquid says:

I can’t believe I forgot about Realms of the Haunting! It’s probably my favourite action SLASH adventure game of the DOS-era.

• Casimir's Blake says:

I still kick myself for buying that other Gremlin 3D adventure, the name of which currently escapes me, but never buying Realms Of The Haunting after adoring the demo. Another fabulous 90s PC game that should be on this list. Not just because it’s an underdog, but because it achieved first-person horror and adventure mechanics to a remarkable degree (inventory management is a touch rigid though).

49. AlephAleph says:

It´s sad that you so quickly forgot about one of the most revolutionary titles in videogames, as it just happened last year: “Sleep is Death”

50. bwion says:

If we ever do delve into prehistory, I’d like to make a case for the importancenessnessness of Ultima IV. (Though I do agree with the esteemed Professor Whichever-Professor-Wrote-About-It that VII/Serpent Isle was the high point of the series and near the top of the short list of Bestest RPGs Ever.)

It was, to my knowledge, one of the first times (if not the first time) a computer RPG was something other than a soulless exercise in killing everything in sight. It also, remarkably for a game whose winning condition required you to become, effectively, a living saint, gave a lot more freedom of choice than a lot of modern RPGs that purport to allow moral freedom. (Sure, you couldn’t win the game by being an utter bastard, but you could *do* it.)

Honestly, you could probably make a case for putting the entire Ultima series on the list. Even if 8 and 9 belong on the Important Only As Cautionary Tales lists.

Actually, I do hear that 8 is a better game than its reputation, though I never played very far into it. 9, which I was looking forward to for years, is the first (and last) game I ever pre-ordered (or at least reserved at the game store, back when there were such things), and thus taught me an Important Lesson about Anticipation and Hope, and why such things have no place in the hearts of the PC gamer. (Not really. It wasn’t a great game, though.)