Minecraft: The Movie – Mojang Documentary

By John Walker on February 21st, 2011 at 4:53 pm.

This is how I view the real world now.

A new documentary by 2-Player Productions went online today, focusing on the story of Minecraft. Visiting Sweden, meeting with Markus “Notch” Persson, they have created a 20 minute short, which they hope to expand to a feature-length film if they can receive the Kickstarter funding they’re after. The full video is available to watch on GameTrailers today, and everywhere else from tomorrow. And you can watch it below. Make sure to kick in some cash if you’d like to see more over here.

, , , .

El_MUERkO says:

Do it! Do it now!

2. Artist says:

Ooooh, no documented NERF-fight? =/

3. dux says:

Cupcakes!

4. Merelia says:

Did I just see some unnoficial RPS server footage to in there? Awesome.
    Smiled a bit at the Art Directors “face”.

5. godkingemperor says:

if it was good, surely notch would have funded it.

• Urael says:

And risk accusations of egotism? “Hey look, folks. Notch is so big-headed he’s paid some guys to make a documentary about himself!”

Yeah, I can see that going down well.

• dadioflex says:

Mojang are already supporting it. If you check out the Kickstarter page you’ll see a bunch of Mojang goodies up as rewards. I seriously considered throwing some money in the hat but the documentary isn’t going to tell me anything new, as it has to be pitched at people who’ve never heard of Minecraft. Plus let’s be honest here, it’s bandwagoneering of the highest order.

Schaulustiger says:

A few seconds of my Minecraft movie are in it – hooray!

• Urael says:

“$350 or more: A Minecraft video of your creation (limit to 15 seconds) to be played in the film’s credits…”

Good on you, bud. :) Notch doesn’t need to pay for this – fans won’t be able to throw money at 2PP fast enough.

Schaulustiger says:

And I didn’t even have to pay for it – they took some footage from my movie about stuff that the lovely chaps from the RPS server built :)

• Tei says:

You did a beautiful work, Schaulustiger. Kudos to you :D

• Bassism says:

I’m so glad that they put some of your movie in. It really is a beautiful piece of work. I wish they would have used the shot of the house I built in the scene after they cut, but you can’t have it all.
      Watching it again makes me feel all warm inside. I haven’t been on the unofficial servers much at all since, but that first month of our server was probably the most magical period of gaming I’ve ever had.

7. Jharakn says:

Did anyone else notice, Junkboy has a really strange shaped head.

8. Urael says:

I just contributed. Minecraft is THAT awesome, and I want my poster and Creeper toy. :)

I’ve been thinking about the game all day, mostly because I just wrote this yesterday and have some editing to do:

9. Urthman says:

Shouldn’t they at least wait until the game is officially released before making a frakkin’ documentary about it?

El_MUERkO says:

They’re talking about filming this year and releasing next year so the game could well be finished before they stop shooting.

10. Shadrach says:

Ah lovely Swedes, such polite people they even speak in English in their meeting just for the filmmaker! :)
    Gave my 20$.

11. Pointless Puppies says:

If straight up Shit with a capital S like that Justin Bieber “documentary” can get a theater release, surely THIS can.

In my delusional dreamworld, 2Player would not only get the funding for this, they’d also get enough funding for a theatrical release. And it would be awesome, and tons of people would get into Minecraft and gaming. Then rainbow-farting unicorns come and sweep us off to the land of magical cubes and we can live in Minecraft world on Peaceful difficulty forever and ever…

12. Stephen Roberts says:

Isn’t it just wonderful when someone takes care of aesthetics when they create a thing? This is a tastefully done documentary before you get to the subject matter, which is uniquely fascinating.

I felt a little choked up when I saw some of the insane things people had made in this game. I mean… purely for the sake of making things. This is good.

13. Bassism says:

This is one of the most beautiful and inspiring things I’ve seen in a long time.

I realized just how much of an effect Minecraft has had on me when the song kicked in at :40. That song is tied with so many happy memories of finally coming to the surface after hours of being lost underground, or finally finishing a build. Minecraft really is a magical thing.

14. Armante says:

Beutifully shot, love the camera work. Hope it gets made into a full-length version.

15. Dominic White says:

People are already, seriously using this documentary as proof that Notch is going to abandon Minecraft soon.

I love the game, but it seems to have developed the single most insane and paranoid fanbase on the internet.

16. Miktor says:

I like the mouse-over text.

17. nunny0206 says:

Why oh why have they released this 20 minute documentary to let more people know about the game, the company and people to possibly want to buy it, when the website is down at the moment. Poor timing is poor.

18. Kaltano says:

An ad in what is essentially an ad, meta classiness.

19. Milky says:

Good to see 2PP with more work, I’ve always been big fans of their style since they did the Penny Arcade Series.

20. crainey92 says:

I have been waiting for this since I heard there was a camera crew following the Mojang crew at start of year (As tweeted by Notch). Great documentary and I can’t wait for the full feature length one which WILL get the funding, how can it not? $150000 is alot of moeny but it’s worth it for Minecraft, I donated $15 and I suggest you all do the same.

21. Consumatopia says:

Dang, I want to play “Guess the Genre of the Next Mojang Game that Minecraft Players Will Hate”. Why is no one playing that?

I mean, they sound like they’re expecting a lot of flak. What could it possibly be? A rhythm-based party game exclusive to the Wii? Procedurally-generated 3d-sudoku? An actual sports game played outside without computers? Facecraft? (Your friend is surrounded by zombies! Click here to help! Or sign up for one of these exclusive offers to get the diamond pick axe!) I need to know what I’m supposed to be raging at!

22. starclaws says:

“I tried to play mario kart with him and HE SUCKS!” AHAHAHAHAHAHA funny stuff

23. Wedge says:

So they want 150k to make a DOCUMENTARY about a shitty non-game, and they already have over 20k towards that. On the other hand there are people trying to make an actual game where you battle GIANT CRAB PIRATES and they only need 10k to get going.

Goddamit.

24. ChampionHyena says:

Don’t we already have behind-the-scenes info on Minecraft’s development? Notch’s blog is right there. Sitting out where everyone can see it. I’m reading it RIGHT NOW.

Oh, and we’re only 34 comments in and already the “raging against Minecraft because by God I’ve got to be pissed off about SOMETHING popular” is trickling in. Jolly good.

• Juiceman says:

I have reason to rage, that game stopped being fun when they stopped letting me grief people. Damn you indestructible blocks.

25. Grey_Ghost says:

Finally someone has the BALLS to come out and say what we’ve all been thinking, 2-year-olds suck at Mario Kart!

I salute you!

26. Kenny says:

n0tch123

27. Phydaux says:

The best part: 17:48 – 17:56

28. Walker says:

Jacob is a really sexy fellow.