PC Getting Bulletstorm Demo After All

By Quintin Smith on February 21st, 2011 at 10:15 am.

Guns: They're sort of like translators that only know one word

Remember this spurt of controversy back in January when we heard that the Bulletstorm demo would be gracing the Xbox Box and Sony Playingstation only? Turns out the PC will be getting a demo after all. Epic vice president Mark Rein has tweeted that the PC demo is in the works, and should be available “shortly after” the game’s release this Friday. Strong!

Just to keep score, we’ve now whipped away concerns that People Can Fly couldn’t be bothered releasing a PC demo for Bulletstorm, that the game causes rape and that it might be crap. All we need now is for a press release to come pinwheeling in through the window that the game’s dropped Games For Windows Live. Ah, a man can dream.

, , .

1. DJ Phantoon says:

Pinwheeling? I think you mean busting through the window with one fist outstretched, SAXTON HALE style!

2. edit says:

GFWL? Based on my prior experience that’s a pretty strong reason for me to avoid the game..

• Loix says:

Indeed. I was going to pre-order this after the rape thing, but when I saw the requirement of using GFWL I didn’t bother.

I put off buying Batman: AA for a long time due to GFWL, and bought it the other week during the sale. It took me 40 minutes – on a fast computer with a stable, fast Internet connection – to get into the actual game, because of updates, restarting the game, putting my product key in twice…

(Yes, I’m aware of offline profiles – the point is, I should NOT have to work around shit like this.)

Fuck GFWL. They have lost a sale from me until Bulletstorm is reduced in price enough that dealing with GFWL becomes an option.

• suibhne says:

That was my experience with Batman: AA, too. And even when GfWL works as it’s supposed to, as I found it doing when I played Bioshock 2, it’s still a boor — interposing a huge, clunky, slow, nonsensical interface between me and my game. The update process for the GfWL client is ridiculously inconvenient.

• Zern says:

Funny thing about GFWL: It’s just plain unable to connect when my ethernet is plugged in, but has no such problem when I’m on my wireless. Or was it the other way round? I can’t really remember because it has been a while since I last used it. When it fails to connect, it still desperately tries to for about two minutes, and after that falls back to an offline mode.

• subedii says:

Gears of War could have used a better system, I’ll say that much. Patching was a pain, no proper text chat system (just a freaking e-mail system), no push-to-talk. And a nasty habit of eating savegames / settings and killing all your progress, possibly to do with the fact that GFWL tries to save your savegames in different locations depending on whether you’re logged in or not. So lose your connection to GFWL for a moment and the game saves elsewhere.

In particular after my experiences with it in Dawn of War 2, I’m not intent on going back to it.

It was so bad that they ended up removing it from the latest addition (Retribution) altogether. I’ve been playing the beta for Retribution (using Steamworks now), and the improvements make everything so much better. It’s not just that we get chat rooms, and joining and inviting friends is so much easier. Even the skills-based matchmaking seems to have drastically improved (though I’m going to have to play a good few more games to say with certainty, it certainly feels FAR more consistent at matching me with players of my own skill level so far than GFWL ever did).

And of course most importantly, Relic are now free to update in small and regular patches, instead of having to wait weeks on end for GFWL “certification” to go through. So far in the beta if some issue crops up then often there’s literally a patch within a day or two.

3. Heliocentric says:

I really don’t care if this game has a demo, i already know what to expect and I’ll be getting it for a tupence and it will be “alright” but the world won’t be set alight, alright?

4. westyfield says:

GfWL? Ok, forget it. You just lost a sale, Bulletstorm.

5. Teddy Leach says:

But we already knew it had GFWL! Didn’t we?

• Kadayi says:

Yes we did. But you know how it is, it’s fundamentally important for people to make a big deal about it whenever they can, at every given opportunity, just because.

• Nick says:

Just because (it is a big deal to a lot of people).

• Perjoss says:

never had any problems with GFWL.

stahlwerk says:

me neither, then again I only used an offline profile for Batman and Dirt2.

• pkt-zer0 says:

Never had anything but problems with GFWL.

• Kadayi says:

@Nick

Seriously? The only thing GFWL truly lacks Vs other update systems is a degree of clarity when it comes to update progress. Sure I’d like them to change it, but personally I’m not going to loose my shit over it and forswear off a game, simply because they dare to use it.

• Stephen Roberts says:

With Games For Windows Live you have to start the game to get updates rolling. Then it updates while the game is running, sometimes hanging for a while before doing anything at all. Then, sometimes, you have to restart various things. Then, sometimes, it’s provident to reinstall/update the GFWL client that runs outside the game (there can be different versions outside and inside the game). Then, sometimes, you might have to update again inside the game. Also, sometimes, it can hang up on entering product keys.

Note the use of the word sometimes. But my main point is, if people find all of that a little too fucking annoying, I think they are entirely justified in loosing their shit all over the place and choosing not to partake in the game in question. For you GFWL might not be that bad, Kadayi. For others it is certain hell.

Personally I’m not going to rush to get Bulletstorm but eventually I will, GfWL or not. I think I’m fuelled by things that enrage me. What I might also do is send ol’ gameychops a letter saying how much of a stupid idea GFWL is and how it helped me not contribute to release-week sales for a game I’m excited to play. Infact, It will probably help me contribute to bargain bucket, mega reduction sales.

• edit says:

Yeah, it’s been nothing but trouble for me. It’s left some people I know who are a little less tech-savvy completely in the dark and unable to play their game. If some people are prepared to jump through hoops and put up with an unnecessary layer of crap on top of a game, that’s fine. Personally I STRONGLY dislike the very concept of the thing let alone the execution, and I’ll vote with my wallet as we all should. For the time being I refuse to knowingly buy any game that has GFWL.

• Hallgrim says:

@Kayadi:

GFWL is enough of a pain in the ass that I have literally had people give up on playing a LAN game with me before, because they had never used it and got frustrated after spending more than 15 minutes just trying to get a game they already owned to work online.

6. Bilbo says:

No thanks, some of us like the achievements

• Ultimanecat says:

If only there were some way to have achievements in games without requiring GFWL. We should have our top men working on this. Top men!

• RegisteredUser says:

Just the other day I thought to myself “You know, there was a time when beating a game felt like an achievement. Mostly because there was challenge and actual achievement within.
      Now we need every poop and fart to go bingle-bongle and reward us with an “achievement” award for having beaten a single level(hello SC2)..how sad is that?”.

• EthZee says:

RegisteredUser: I’m sure you had a valid point. But when I read:

“Now we need every poop and fart to go bingle-bongle”

I laughed.

• Stephen Roberts says:

This.

Here’s my take on achievements: Played Red Faction Guerrilla? Basically in your first level your brother is there and he says ‘here’s a hammer, hit that stuff’. If you do just that, you get an achievement for it. First level! Badonk! My friend’s first, instant and immediate action at the start of that level was to hit his brother. Whack, character folds like a guy being kicked in the nuts and a message comes up ‘You killed your brother?? WTF??’

The second action should have had the achievement. Not the first.

• Bilbo says:

@Ultimanecat Live achievements > Steam achievements for me, and I didn’t realise I needed to be that specific. I value the convergence between my PC and Xbox experience and wish more games had live achievements. Yeah, the interface is pretty horrible, but it’s worth the trade for me and I’m sad that the next dawn of war expansion has opted out of GFWL for this reason.

@RegisteredUser it’s more just that since we live in a world with achievements, I’d rather get them than not. I don’t think they’re a particularly good or bad idea.

@Stephen Roberts I’ve got no idea how valid the achievements in bulletstorm are or aren’t, or any idea what that question or your link has to do with the fact that I like achievements.

7. Urael says:

Is it right that these days any decision to release a demo on our platform feels like winning a minor lottery? I’m actually pretty thankful that we’ve got one coming, and to show my appreciation I will download this demo and give the game a try.

Leaving the game itself aside I’m curious to see if Epic have learned any lessons about the Menu UI for PC games after the consolized “Where the heck are all my options?” nightmare that introduced UT3. UT99′s menu may have slightly resembled windows 98 but in terms of giving the player access to everything they could possibly wish to fiddle with and in allowing the player to customise the game it has never been surpassed.

Now I’ve made myself feel sad. :(

8. jon_hill987 says:

So why not “shortly before”? If they have made the demo for the XBox surely it is just a case of hitting recompile for PC in UDK?

9. TitusCrow says:

Fuck EPIC – I will be in my cold cold grave before I forgive them for the travesty that was UT3. I played a demo of this on the 360, its a laugh for about 20 mins. After that you have seen the one trick pony do its twenty tricks and then mix them up and then… well there’s where the problem lies, there is no longevity coming from this game.

I wouldn’t play any more of this game if it was free ( which can be arranged ) EPIC are dead to me now!

• Kadayi says:

Epic are the producers, but it’s the guys who made painkiller who have made the game.

• RegisteredUser says:

Which only makes it worse, because PK was a great, fun, nonrestricted, classic shooter, and now we have restricted weapon slots.

• Kadayi says:

@RegisteredUser

Here’s a radical thought. Maybe when the demo is available give it a download and find out whether the shoe fits ok?

• RegisteredUser says:

Have discussed this to death before, because that lame line comes up every time.
      I did not like Far Cry’s, Crysis’, Fear 1+2s, Legendary’s, Singularity’s etc pps(sadly enough a far too long list) weapon slot restriction one inch, but this $whichevernewgame is totally going to change how I feel about being forced into less choice and freedom?

Sure, of course!

• Kadayi says:

@RegisteredUser

And you somehow expect everyone to automatically know your wants and needs? An interesting view of the internet and it’s populace.

• RegisteredUser says:

True, nobody could have gotten “I find that limited slots suck” out of such cryptic a statement as “PK was a great, fun, nonrestricted, classic shooter, and now we have restricted weapon slots”.

10. RegisteredUser says:

I think by demo they mean the scene release(given there is a clone out already I suspect the full game will be cracked and pirated before the demo, maybe even before the actual game is available globally).

11. RyuRanX says:

I think it’s too late for that…

12. Bungle says:

I hope and pray every day that this game flops hard on the PC and we never hear from Cliffy B again. It really does look terrible for anyone who has been PC gaming for any amount of time.

• Thants says:

Looks like fun to me, and I’ve been PC gaming for almost as long as it’s existed.

• Kadayi says:

@Bungle

The game is made by People can fly (the people who brought us Painkiller) and not Epic (Epic are merely the producers). I actually posted that information a couple of comments above, but I guess you missed it in your sudden need to vent.

Why on earth any PC gamer worth their salt would be happy to see AAA developers & producers turn their back on the PC platform is beyond me.

Also what’s with the constant CliffyB hating? In that tweak of his he called what would happen. Namely that everyone would bitch about the lack of a PC demo. Now they’ve delivering one and everyone’s pre-emptively bitching about it using GFWL. Plain truth of the matter is PC gamers are never ever happy. There’s always something to moan about in the world of PC.

Now I certainly don’t agree with everything he says, however he’s not the idiot most of you want to paint him. I recommend listening to this interview he gives Ken Levine: -

13. CrazyBaldhead says:

Yay?

14. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I actually did not know that this game came with GFWL; ugh Ignorance is bliss

15. kennycrown says:

PC Getting Bulletstorm Demo After All …