There Is Also A Demo For Nail’d

By Jim Rossignol on February 22nd, 2011 at 9:20 pm.

I have never ridden a motorcycle
Techland’s offroad racing game, the unfortunately named Nail’d, has a demo out. You can get it here. Funny that the last time I wrote about this I was lamenting the disappearance of Techland’s Dead Island concept, and now that’s the zombie game trailer that everyone is talking about. I shouldn’t be surprised, I suppose, that Techland have some aces up their sleeve, because the Polish devs have quite a catalogue of games behind them now, including the last two Call Of Juarez games. And does anyone remember Chrome? One of those lost shooters that was almost worth playing, but not quite. Ah, memories…

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Valvarexart says:

There seems to be quite a demo trend going on….

daphne says:

‘ck’no’ldg’d!

3. Marcin says:

I spent a lot of time with Chrome. It was as if you took Crysis, added imagination, and subtracted oodles of playability. :/

Unfortunately in a straight shooter you need that playability factor so it didn’t last very long on my drive.

• Navagon says:

I was put off by the character’s tendency to slide everywhere as if walking on ice. It wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t for all the bloody annoying dodging from tree to tree to avoid snipers. So yeah, I gave up on that one too.

• Basilicus says:

Chrome was definitely worth finishing. Like you said, lots of imagination, and I’m a sucker for planet-hopping – which you’d think would be more popular in FPSes.

I have fonder memories of Chrome than I do Far Cry and Crysis, that’s for sure. In fact, I barely have any memories of Crysis. What happened in that game?

• manintheshack says:

@ Basilicus: Fun, fun, aliens, aliens, aliens, aliens, aliens, aliens, aliens, bastard aliens… about sums it up.

• Oak says:

That ratio is a little off.

• 12kill4 says:

I bought Chrome at retail, found it to be horribly broken and then returned it for Vampire: bloodlines… oh the irony.

• ross_angus says:

… but the voice acting! Oh, the horror.

4. goblinking says:

Chrome was fun. Especially the jumping corpses.

5. Ravenger says:

Demos are like buses. You wait for ages for one, and you’re just about to give up hope, then three turn up at once!

• Matt says:

and then you have to sit next to the mentally sick unshowered guy?

6. Turbobutts says:

So this is Ken Block On Meth: The Game?

7. Persus-9 says:

Chrome was rubbish but funnily enough I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it. It was dumb fun and for some reason I always love sniper friendly FPSs.

Sounds like a demo is about the ideal amount of time to play Nail’d for. I got the impression the graphics are worth seeing but everything else is more than a bit meh. I think I’ll take a peek at the demo and see if it can win me over.

8. ZIGS says:

Nail’d is pretty awesome and it’s a shame it was so overlooked (near 0 marketing didn’t help). I fear this demo is way too late to make any difference

• Navagon says:

Zero marketing seems to be a common problem in the industry at the moment. Even supposedly well off companies like Activision can’t be bothered most of the time.

I could understand the inability to fund some advertising if it wasn’t for two things: 1. Social networking has made reaching a large audience very easy. 2. They’re spending tens of millions on the game’s development.

9. Navagon says:

Nail’d looks like fun even if typing its name isn’t. I’ll give the demo a try and see if it’s fit to join my very limited selection of racing games.

10. SirKicksalot says:

Speaking of which, where’s Chrome 2? We had trailers and images, and it was “Coming 2007″.

• Matt says:

It’s on hold. (check Techland’s wikipedia article – there’s a news item in Polish about it!)

11. Nimic says:

Oh, I remember Chrome. It was back when I still bought random games at PC shops. It wasn’t that bad actually. I remember one particular instance where I was in a tower of some sort, being shot at, and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where from.

12. RiptoR says:

On topic:
    Played the demo on my 360 (I know, “Blasphemy!!!!11!!1!”), but can’t say I really liked it. The AI players seem to abuse rubberbanding and the camera is very wonky from time to time causing all sorts of crashes than could be easily avoided with a clear view of the road ahead.

Played 5 or six races, and due to these two problems I always ended up at the rear of the ranking during the final half mile of the race, even if I managed to keep the first position for the entire race.

All in all, good for a couple races, but won’t be buying it anytime soon.

13. Anonymous Coward says:

wait…. nail’d was released a couple of weeks ago right? who cares about a demo NOW?

AndrewC says:

Because games that were released a couple of weeks ago are, incredibly, still available for sale right now. Also a demo is another round of media attention, seperate from the release coverage, thus keeping the game in the public consciousness.

But perhaps you are suggesting xtreem games like Nail’d are only for those with attention spans so tiny two weeks is an unfathomably long time to possibly comprehend. This is, I would suggest, an incisive and subtly expressed observation on your part. Well done.

14. housemeet says:

Benitez is a very good coach but Links Of Londonshould not be allowed to buy players as he is Thomas Sabo dreadful in the transfer market.