Petroglyph Announces Rise Of Immortals

By John Walker on February 22nd, 2011 at 2:40 pm.

I grant you the wish... OF DEATH!

Petroglyph, they of End Of Nations and Guardians Of Graxia, have just this second announced their next game: Rise Of Immortals. The former Westwood-encrusted team say it will be a “multiplayer online battle arena”, and at that oh-so familiar price of free to play. It too is set in their Graxia universe, but 300 years since Guardians ended. The announcement explains that the game will offer the strategy gaming of other MOBA titles, but with persistent character progression, and “enhanced socialization features”. And it’s already ready for closed beta sign-ups. Lots more details, along with all the screenshots and the first video, below.

Petroglyph explains,

“Instead of an account-based leveling system, players can advance their Immortals through a diverse, persistent skill tree, customizing and upgrading the characters to unlock unique abilities that persist from match to match.”

And the sociality bits:

“Rise of Immortals features a social hub where players can show off their enhanced Immortals, chat, emote, browse leaderboards, shop, manage friend and guild lists and more. Players also have the option of taking their Immortals through cooperative Player versus Environment (PvE) scenarios to learn the game, try out new abilities, and earn persistent experience before jumping into Player versus Player (PvP) matches online.”

You’ll be wanting features, I imagine. They are:

· 12 unique Immortals at launch with additional Immortals released on a regular basis
· Persistent per-Immortal level progression and skill trees
· Persistent artifacts for stat enhancements
· Player versus Environment instances with collectable items
· Player versus Player instances with up to 5v5 multiplayer
· Persistent experience and leveling in both PvP and PvE instances
· Collectible pets for combat and vanity
· Account and Immortal statistics tracking
· Player hub instances for socialization

So if you want to get in on the ground floor, head to the game’s site where you can register to take part in the closed beta. They plan to expand the numbers getting in over the next few weeks, with a release date as early as Spring 2011. Click on the below shots to see them full size.

null

null

null

null

null

null

, , .

1. Flaringo says:

i guess this is the new cool thing

• RaytraceRat says:

I will second that

• iLag says:

Agreed. One positive side-effect is that the hardcore players of this particular genre will either spread out across all available titles or keep playing HoN/DotA/whatever they are playing… which in both cases would be good for the more casual crowd.

• Friend says:

I don’t see this being a hit in the MOBA community with persistent character progression unless it’s done very, very carefully. It’s one of the basic, defining features of the genre, and really what sets the style apart from other similar types of strategy games. This sounds more like an instanced-based MMORPG than a MOBA.

• pakoito says:

The game appeals to all the WoW Arena wannabes that din’t grow a skin to play HoN/DOTA and ended up in LOL. That MOBA thing is just a gimmick to attract easy customers.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

My eyes are now facing inwards. I should go see a doctor.

2. coldvvvave says:

Bikini armor again.

Disgusting.

3. ShaunCG says:

Sensible outfits for the ladies, as always.

To be fair, I have honestly lost count of the number of times I’ve been saved from scorpionmen by beautiful exotic dancers wielding deeply ineffective cudgels and blades.

4. BebopBraunbaer says:

oh all the fancy new stylisch DotA clones these days, i bet Gas Powered Games hate theirselfs for releasing demigod before these times.

5. pakoito says:

MOBA my ass, its a RPG MMO period. It’s not MOBA if the levels and items are persistant and is not set in an arena.
    They just made that lame excuse up to justify making people do rerolls often with new, probably pay-only, Immortals.
    They will start charging DLC on day one as they did with Graxia.

6. Gusj says:

MOBA is the new Tower Defence I guess. Dungeon Defenders is the king since it did both.

7. cpeninja says:

“multiplayer online”

*sigh*

*walks away*

Man, I hope this isn’t the end of single player games. I’m too old to compete against you young whipper-snappers. Also I hate the lot of you.

Andy_Panthro says:

I also stopped and sighed at the words “multiplayer online”.

Especially since there are also the words “Westwood encrusted”, which to me would imply a high quality single player experience as it brings to mind RTS’ past, and the Kyrandia games amongst others.

Ah well, time to drink a cuppa and look at whatever’s new over at showmethegames.com.

8. Oak says:

Here’s a fun challenge: say the title of this game aloud without subsequently letting out an audible sigh.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

*sigh*

shouldn’t it at least be rise of THE immortals, or at least rise of SOME immortals? without that it just sounds extra-generic. But it probably can’t have more than three words, or it won’t sell. (wait, they don’t even intend to sell it!)

DarkNoghri says:

I think it took me about 30 seconds of reading your comment and looking at the title before I realized that I was subconsciously adding a “the” every time I read it. So, that long to figure out what you meant. Heh.

9. 12kill4 says:

Well if there is going to be a new bandwagon… at least it is a distinctly PC-shaped one… cant see MOBA games taking off on the ole Couch’N'Game

10. Daniel Klein says:

Whether it is one or not, <3 to Petroglyph for calling it a MOBA. I'm not 100% in love with the term, but it's still the best I've heard for the genre in question.

11. Namos says:

I simply cannot wait until this genre catches on to the “A:B” naming formula. It’ll be glorious:
    Defense of the Ancients: Heroes of Newerth.
    Realm of the Titans: Rise of Immortals
    Starcraft 2 DOTA: DOTA 2
    League of Legends: Demigod
    etc.
    They’ll start rivaling NIS America published games for title length.

I don’t really mind the proliferation, though. LoL is a lot of fun, now that I’ve learnt to live with the frustration of losing :P

12. karry says:

“Petroglyph, they of End Of Nations and Guardians Of Graxia”

Who ?

“multiplayer online battle arena”

What ?

/me loses interest

13. MrWolf says:

Thank god “emoting” is listed as an actual feature.

/dance

/cry

/point pistol at head

14. Kdansky says:

I want to add that Guardians of Graxia is abysmal. I bought it for very cheap during a Steam sale and played it for all of an hour or so until I could not stand it anymore. It is supposed to be a strategy game, but it has the depth of a puddle of rain water on a sunny day.

15. Hatsworth says:

Persistence in competitive games is a ridiculously bad idea.. At least keep it out of PvP and the such…