Hegemony: Wars Of Ancient Greece Out

By Quintin Smith on February 23rd, 2011 at 6:19 pm.

Wars got a lot more dangerous once broom handles were superceded by spears in 194 B.C.

Last year’s indie RTS Hegemony: Philip of Macedon slipped me by, although I already find myself feeling favourable towards it because the links at the top of the official website read “Overview”, “Screenshots”, “Discuss”, “Links”, and “Philip”.

Anyway, it looks like I’m getting a second chance. Big Download‘s posted that the developers have released Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece, an expansion pack containing two new single player campaigns that allow players to play as either Sparta or Athens in the Peloponnesian War, which is actually my fourth favourite war, but even more excitingly developers Longbow Games have released a demo, and are selling the Ancient Greece expansion together with the original game for the reduced price of $30. Trailer after the jump.

I do believe you guys can expect a Wot I Think of this next month. I’ve come over all interested. Brr.

, , .

1. Orvidos says:

Wot? Sandbox? Damnit, I’ve already wasted far too many hours on this (absolutely excellent) game. Here’s my 10 bucks, Longbow.

2. Vague-rant says:

Looks like something I’d be interested in. After all, I do like history, fighting and historical fighting. Oh and the seamless map looks awesome. Will check out that demo. Thanks!

3. Ysellian says:

Was thinking of getting this game last year, but put off due to having too much too play. I still have too much to play, but it won’t put me off this year :P

4. Bhazor says:

Loved the original game so I’ll be getting some of this too I think.
    Any word on whether this expansion will work with the Steam version or if it can be registered on Steam? I’d love to give my (Hege)money straight to Longbow if I could instead of through Steam.

Kelron says:

Just checked up on this for myself. Grab your Hegemony key from Steam (right click, view CD key) and make an account on their site – you can activate the game there, then buy the expansion direct from them.

• Bhazor says:

Great, will do that at the weekend.
      Thanks.

Andy_Panthro says:

Saw the “philip” one on cliffski’s showmethegames.com, and it does look interesting.

Will wait and see your wot i think, then might buy it plus this expansion.

6. Teronfel says:

Looks interesting

7. amandachen says:

Great. I’ve been waiting for this. Loved the first game – we all got it cheap in the steam sale, right?

8. Jad says:

the Peloponnesian War, which is actually my fourth favourite war

Alright, now I need to know what your top three favorite wars are. Is one of them the War of Spanish Succession? Or the Football War?

• Quintin Smith says:

I don’t mean to disappoint you but the top spot is probably held by Warren Ellis.

• Unaco says:

@Quinns,

Is that Warren Ellis the Australian violinist and member of The Bad Seeds? Or Warren Ellis the English author? Or, are they your top two and in no particular order?

• Quintin Smith says:

They are numbers 1 and 3. Number 2 is wardrobes. I don’t own one but I think I’d enjoy that, some day.

• SpaceAkers says:

I’ve always assumed Warren Ellis of the Bad Seeds / Grinderman and Warren Ellis of Transmetropolitan / Planetary was the same person.

Some kind of Mr Hyde and Mr Hyde scenario….

9. Sarlix says:

I played some of Hegemony: Philip of Macedon when it fist came out. It was good. If this does the same or better then this will also be good. Or Better.

10. Oak says:

Neat. Hegemony was one of those games I couldn’t give enough time to last year, and I hope to do some catching up.

11. Jimbo says:

Hegemanemone was fab. This expansion is only $10 if you own the original.

12. Towercap says:

At some stage, owners of the original were getting the Gold release for free. I kept up with the betas; it’s a very fun, well-paced game. Very much recommend at least checking the demo out.

Last I played there was some unnecessary and somewhat annoying micromanagement, like units ignoring ranged attacks unless ordered to attack, but otherwise the gameplay is very solid. Managing trade routes between cities, farms and mines is rather fun. I also like the way Hegemony handles formation structure — you can tack on a unit formation onto another unit formation to form a more complex one. Unfortunately, paying attention to formations seemed to serve little purpose anyway.

13. Fumarole says:

Oh geez, that map looks like just my cuppa. Anyone know if the two will be sold together at some point?