Test Drive Unlimited 2 Says Sorry, Patches

By John Walker on February 23rd, 2011 at 10:35 am.

We can see each other now!

You may remember that Test Drive Unlimited 2 did not have a great Valentine’s Day. Launched to cries of, “Er, could you finish it now please?”, its buggy state did not win favour. Eden Games and Atari are attempting a big old “sorry” by offering not only a patch that addresses a lot of issues, but also the first globule of DLC for utterly free. More info lies beneath.

Frankly everyone should know that the idea of spending V Day in Ibiza is obviously a bad one. But now the night of enforced romance is over, is it worth booking flights and hiring a car? Atari list the fixes as follows:

*Logging into the game has been improved
*Once into the game the online network experience is now much more stable in all areas
*Save games no longer corrupt
*Existing corrupted save games will be repaired in many cases
*Friends lists are now populated
*Invites now work correctly
*Clubs have been brought back online
*Exploits to gain money have been fixed
*Casino access has been improved
*Players will no longer lose money because of the Casino bug

It is one of those lists that makes you ask, “Did you not think those things might have been important before release?” But they’re addressed now, which certainly makes the game more approachable.

To apologise, in the stead of flowers or chocolates, come wrecked cars. I love gaming. That’s the first DLC, presumably previously to have been charged for, now free to you. The Exploration Pack includes a bunch of new wrecks to discover, which will unlock you the “Lancia Stratos version Rallye” (is that right?) and the 1969 Dodge Charger.

They say to keep reporting remaining issues, which will be addressed in time.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mashakosha says:

This is what I like to see from devs. I’m never too fussed when a game comes out and it’s not working as it’s meant to. Everyone knows that deadlines really put pressure on the devs and because of this, mistakes happen and bugs get left unfixed. It pleases me when they hold up their hands and say “Ok, we screwed up. We’re sorry. Here’s a little something more as a show of good faith.”
    Well done to you Eden and Atari.

2. Ondrej says:

Well, unless they fix the atrocious driving model and unskippable cutscenes, this is still a pass for me, even though I loved TDU1 to bits.

3. The Tupper says:

Mashakosha says at 10:47 am:
    “Everyone knows that deadlines really put pressure on the devs ”

Yeah, possibly from having to make DLC that they can then distribute ‘for free’.

4. Anonymous Coward says:

another unplayable game half-patched to some playable state…. who cares about these games anymore? its not like all the bugs are fixed now or online connections will now always be stable…
    dont get me wrong.. its nice to see patches for games. but from my experience i know that a game which is released in such a state will NEVER be actually finished…
    no matter how many patches in the next few weeks will roll out, people will soon loose interest because of limited playability and then patch development will also come to a halt. its happened before so why even still bother about unfinished games?

• Megadyptes says:

I have played this ‘unplayable’ game for 46 hours before this patch dropped. I even had fun doing so. Quite surprising for such an unplayable game!

• KikYu0 says:

“another unplayable game half-patched to some playable state”

wtf are u talking about ? magica ? false thread dude.

5. Paul says:

Amazing game, this. Been playing for a last few days all my free time, what a blast. Nice to see they care.

6. AbyssUK says:

Important patches are the new ‘code wheels’

• vrekman64 says:

exactly my thoughts.
      These must-have patches are the most potent anti-piracy measures.
      Even the pirate groups understood it and now post cracked updates.

Funny that THEY must “maintain” their releases now…

7. Yosharian says:

is anyone surprised by this anymore? Day one patches are the norm, now.

8. Mechorpheus says:

I can confirm this patch fixed my 20fps framerate issues with the game, and I’m quite enjoying it. Seems to be ‘more of the same yet more’, but I loved TDU1 so that’s ok by me.

9. vash47 says:

Hopefull they can fix the terrible handling with a steering wheel.

Daiv says:

* Cars’ wheels now rotate in the correct direction
    * Winning a race no longer requires you to come precisely 3rd
    * Taste of biscuits has been improved
    * Added ability to look up (Note: Do not look up)
    * Whistling at the monitor no longer turns cars pink

11. DigitalSignalX says:

I’m absolutely loving TDU2 after about 80 hours of play. Yeah, the internet stuff is buggy, but I play mostly for myself anyway not to race others or play poker / slots online. I think they’ve done a great job with it.

12. housemeet says:

Benitez is a very good coach but Links Of Londonshould not be allowed to buy players as he is Thomas Sabo dreadful in the transfer market.