Cities In Motion Is Out, Detailed Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on February 24th, 2011 at 7:37 pm.

Forget dragons and cyborgs! Cities In Motion has detailed transport infrastructure! Also, it’s out, and there’s a release trailer posted below to prove it. Furthermore… well, that makes me realise that we haven’t properly critically evaluated it as yet. It’s certainly due a going over. Perhaps one of the Jim-clones can be woken from their cryogenic stasis to do it while I go off to GDC. Then again, they never did come out of the cloning process quite right…

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Kelron says:

It is a game that makes you feel classy, as you build trams in 1920s Berlin while jazz plays. Then you see all the traffic jams your trams are causing and feel incompetent.

2. GT3000 says:

Then you realize it’s the Wiemar Republic and traffic jams are the least of the masses’ worries but Lord help you if you fail to live up to their heritage of excellently established railways.

3. Coins says:

I really, really like this. My only major pet peeve is that you cannot forge vehicles to lag behind another vehicle x stops, thus causing a cascade of buses lagging behind each other if one breaks down and ruining your line for a moment.

• Flameberge says:

Same, which is actually a pretty big problem because eventually nearly all routes start living up to the “you wait ages for a bus/train/tram/boat/helicopter and then x come along at once”, causing angry passangers and empty busses.
      Aside that, a few more vehicles would be nice, but in the main, an unexpectedly pleasant surprise.

• patricij says:

not able to maintain any timetables is pretty annoying….and also I don’t like the nonstop nature of the lines: it should be optional

4. Rowsdower says:

This is truly one of the first games in some time to make me feel like a complete moron. So far I’m counting that as a good thing.

5. Fillem says:

That trailer certainly looks very nice but I have no idea what the actual game is like.
    Also, the music was….weird. Very 80′s?

6. MikoSquiz says:

Create your own cities with a map editor? Oh please say they’re conveniently distributable so you’ll be able to download people’s renditions of Cleveland and Helsinki and Arnhem and whatnot and give them a try.

Or rather please don’t, because I already bought Bulletstorm and Dragon Age 2 this week and can’t afford more games right now.

7. yurusei says:

Whats with the ESRB rating stating there are alcoholic references?

• Jake says:

I’d guess that one of the anthropomorphic trains is a drunkard.

• patricij says:

it may be in one of the fun facts statistics..you click on an item and in the details tab it gives you some fun fact…like how many cakes have been burnt or how many noisy teenagers were on the bus

• JanH says:

The reason for the “alcohol reference” in the rating is that the city of Vienna contains a brewery.

If this hadn’t been caught when filing for a rating, Paradox would have been severely fined for overlooking this blatant alcohol reference.

I am not making this up.

8. Jake says:

“Experience 100 years of public transportation” – This sounds more like one of Dante’s circles of hell than a reason to play a game. Maybe the bit of hell where Top Gear presenters go.

This game does look quite lovely but all it really does it make me wish they would make Sim City 5 already.

9. tanith says:

Watching this trailer makes me wish they would make a game similar to Transport Tycoon or SimuTrans (or even better: the best of the features from both combined!) and wrapt it around in a lovely world with nice graphics such as in Cities in Motion. Now that would be a great game worth playing!

I understand that this game is about something completely different but managing traffic routes and bus lanes is just not enough for me, I think.
    Also I’d probably completely fail at this game as some of the comments (and rps articles) suggest.

• somini says:

I would pay for price just for TTD in 3D. I spent years of my childhood playing it. When someone mentions it, I’m reinstalling OpenTTD…

• carlthuringer says:

I too would like a Simutrans with this much graphic fidelity. The current situation with Simutrans is just really messy and clunky. Yet it has a lot of really great features like real supply chains, city growth, and easy-to-lay tracks with signals and stuff that allow you to build some wickedly complex intersections and stations.

I just hate going through all the paksets and furrowing my brow until I pick one and still can’t build a profitable route without making several excel spreadsheets. And even then it usually still fails.

10. kyrieee says:

Preemptive hi to FredrikWesterCEOofParadoxInteractive

11. Markachy says:

The ads are starting to get ridiculous on this website now. The moment animated ads appear is the moment things have gone too far! It even slows down my browser for crying out loud, and my PC is no slouch.

• robaal says:

That’s strange, I’m not seeing any ads on RPS atm. The last ones I recall were the Intel App-Up background and a couple minor square banners on the right side for some DD sites.

• EiZei says:

I was reading this very comment and then realized why scrolling up took over 5 seconds. My rather modest home computer has four cores that could run loops around most supercomputers not that long ago and it’s getting choked by a small video clip flash ad. This is just ridiculous.

• Ludden says:

This was noted in the comments to the Skyrim trailer as well. It needs to be fixed — there’s no way draining half my CPU is acceptable.

12. Al__S says:

I’ve been playing this as it is the only thing I’ve really been able to cope with the last couple of days, off ill from work.

Avoiding jams is difficult. Which is good- though it would be nice to be able to shove in some tram-priority signalling or a bus lane or two. But then again, I even had to install a reasonably complex station and line layout where I had four underground lines meeting- but this felt OK.

Good gentle yet brain taxing fun. Also, this will get lodged in your head

13. EiZei says:

Here’s a traffic fix for those who think the 24/7 gridlock is a little bit too much. Made the game much more enjoyable for me at least.

There’s also a realism mod to address capacity problems. It would seem that the developers designed this game to be easily moddable and I sincerely do hope we are going to see some OpenTTD-like awesomeness here.

14. neolith says:

That is the first time I see a new game on Steam costs half as much as the retail version. Are there any known differences between digital and boxed version or am I safe to buy this online?

15. Artist says:

Well, that was a fail-purchase for me. The gameplay turned out to be amazingly shallow. Games like Transport Tycoon (or better the free open Transport Tycoon Project) still have a much more rewarding gameplay (even if the graphics are really, really outdated). Industry, you suck!
    At least Ive supported Indies with my 20 bucks…

Comment on this story