Prototype 2 Teases The Helicopter Murder

By Jim Rossignol on February 24th, 2011 at 12:01 pm.

Games are unjust when it comes to choppers
Oh yes, while I am stealing videos from Blues‘ YouTube channel, we should probably link to the latest Prototype 2 teaser. It looks like Prototype! Only it is introduced by Penny Arcade for some reason? I am missing something here, aren’t I? The game isn’t out until 2012, so don’t hold your breath. I mean if you do hold your breath and you are still alive by 2012, then OKAY, because that would be some feat.

, , .

1. Dominic White says:

Haha. Good stuff.

Still, the original Prototype, while having a better city and better ranged combat, still absolutely paled in comparison to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction when it came to knock-down, drag-out brawling. If they can give us a return of that kind of high-powered superhero megabiff, then I’ll buy Prototype 2 straight away. Otherwise, it’s a rental/budget thing for me.

• Bhazor says:

Oh I was a huge sweaty Hulk: UD fan but I think Prototype was just as good but in a different way. Hulk had better core mechanics and gameplay but I think Prototype had far more going on inside. The impersonation trick for example where you could impersonate a soldier and then accuse a passing Civilian of being you and watching all hell break lose. Or turning into an old lady and running up the side of a sky scraper. On the other hand alot of these trickes weren’t neccesary and you could just rely on the overpowered extendo punches. Which was a shame really.

Also it may have had the most satisfyingly over powered guns I’ve ever seen. It is rare to see a machine gun that can actually mow down a crowd.

• Dominic White says:

The problem is that Prototype forced you into direct melee combat with a lot of bigger mutant enemies, and supersoldiers later on, but the combat engine wasn’t nearly as good as a game by the same people I had played MANY years prior. That was just frustrating. Aside from the melee combat engine, everything else was an improvement, though.

2. Bhazor says:

Do like.

3. Dominic White says:

Also, what you’re missing here is that, ages back, Penny Arcade did a strip about Prototype and put forward the question ‘What more could you want!?’. And so, the Prototype devs one-upped mere karate kicking, and added self-slingshotting yourself through a helicopter so hard it tears off the entire rear section.

• subedii says:

Yeah there were a lot of people asking “whether to get it”, especially because Infamous had recently released as well and it became a sort of fan competition between the two.

4. Reefpirate says:

Not to get too far off topic… But isn’t today DX: Human Revolution day???

• ZIGS says:

Yes, today they lift the embargo. I’m hoping RPS will provide us with lots of information, since I’m too lazy to keep track of all the previews I’ve seen so far that promised more details after this day

5. aeromorte says:

I still from time to time play first prototype just to run around jump on buildings or cut some random people to pieces xD so yeah cant wait for 2nd game

6. Binman88 says:

I liked the first one, and am looking forward to see what they fix in the sequel. I own both Prototype (PC) and inFamous, and I have to say I preferred my time with the former, although I never completed either game. Towards the latter quarter of the game, Prototype just got too frustrating, and inFamous got too repetitive for my tastes.

7. Ragabhava says:

Are that mating helicopters in the screenshot?

8. Iskariot says:

I liked Prototype (PC). Not that I thought it was perfect, mind you, but the game featured cool original ideas and game play and I really felt like a super mutant playing the game.
    I think the AI needs to be improved considerably though. Reactions of npc’s should be more interesting and appropriate. And I personally would like to see some more stealthy options. I loved to shapeshift and takeover the bodies of my enemies.

9. Navagon says:

Activision? And it’s not Call of Duty? Wow. I guess there’s life in the autocannibalistic corporation yet.

10. ghost4 says:

Their endorsement of Penny Arcade aka rape apologist sociopaths is a good reason not to buy this game.

• Zombat says:

You do realise that this is the game where you could grab a random granny off the street, run up a nearby skyscrapper then power bomb off the top straight into a sea of gawking onlookers with enough force to cause everyone’s limbs to fly off?