Both Feet On The Crowned: Fable 3 In May

By Quintin Smith on February 25th, 2011 at 11:03 am.

I think I'd like Fable if you could miss this shot and hit the dog.

Xbox Live mouthpiece and all-around inoffensive man Major Nelson has word on the release date of the PC version of Fable 3 in his latest infodump. Americans will be getting the rebellion & kingdom management-driven third instalment of the series on May 17th. On the one hand, it’s coming to us 7 months late. On the other hand, we’ll get 3D support and a new, PC exclusive ‘Hardcore’ difficulty mode, just in case you felt like punishing yourself some more. In the same post Nelson announces the first sizeable piece of downloadable content for the game, Traitor’s Keep, which you can read all the details on below. It’s only announced for consoletoys just yet, but these packs have a habit of wandering our way eventually, like one-legged cats scrabbling their way home.

Pow:

Fable III Traitor’s Keep game add-on – Available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 560 Microsoft Points on March 1, the Traitor’s Keep game add-on continues the journey as fans venture into three new levels called Ravenscar Keep, Clockwork Island, and the Godwin Estate, taking on new quests and encountering a mysterious prisoner. Traitor’s Keep also comes packed with 250 gamerscore points and additional content.

And here’s the first 15 minutes of the game, including the lovely pre-rendered intro.

, .

1. Njordsk says:

The day witcher 2 comes out.

Yay microsoft, Let’s hope you blame piracy eh?

• Ravenger says:

I know which game I’m getting, and it’s not Fable 3.

• suibhne says:

Same date as Brink, too…last release date I saw for that game, anyway. I’ll have a busy time ignoring Fable 3.

2. Subject 706 says:

ZZZZZzzzzzz

3. Inigo says:

Whoop-de-fucking-do.

• Icarus says:

Pretty much this. A 7-month wait for two features hardly anyone is going to use?

And, it goes without saying, GFWL baked in so deep it’ll puncture your kidneys. I’ll put up with it in an exceptional game, or a good one that’s on a big discount (Dawn of War 2, Arkham Asylum). But not in a full-price, very late release of a game bordering on average/mediocre.

Crimsoneer says:

It’s actually mean to be rather excellent!

Don’t get me wrong, I think this sort of a delay is bloody disgraceful – although, unlike the second one, at least it’s coming out – but I’m definitely picking this up.

• Icarus says:

Eh, I heard it was rather average from the couple of reviews I saw, but I still don’t plan on buying it, at least not for a good while. Too many other RPGs I already need to finish, for a start, and Mass Effect 3 later this year too.

Dolphan says:

It’s alright, but Fable 2 was considerably better.

4. SquareWheel says:

“we’ll get 3D support”

Not worth the wait. Glad to hear it’s finally coming though.

5. ZIGS says:

They really expect this game to sell?

6. chiefnewo says:

A few suggestions why you might not want to buy this one :

• TheWanaB says:

I think just “because it’s a bad game” would suffice – and please don’t link to Angry Joe – the man is insufferable.

7. dethtoll says:

He really is the least offensive man in the business, isn’t he? It’s kind of refreshing.

8. Po0py says:

Is there any specific reason why I should care?

9. Meat Circus says:

I really enjoyed Fable III. I especially admire the way the game is happy to let you catastrophically fuck everything up, without ever really warning you that’s what you’re doing or giving you a way to go back and change it, so you’re forced to live with the consequences of your accidental genocide.

10. Teddy Leach says:

I did really like Fable TLC, so I’ll definitely be picking this up, along with The Witcher 2. However, I still don’t see why they’re not yet releasing the second on PC. Because that would bloody well make sense.

• Kadayi says:

Yeah I’d of liked the second game to come to the PC as well. It seems slightly bizarre to skip it.

• Gazmanic says:

Fable TLC is EASILY one of my favourite games. The second one was worth playing and overall was pretty good. I felt the third one was nowhere near as good as the first and was pretty disappointed that the difficulty didn’t scale remotely into co-op. I would suggest playing it , Just not getting your hopes up to much.

The Sombrero Kid says:

do we actually want this, the only reason console owners think the fable games are any good is cause they have very few real rpgs.

• Rich says:

Actually, having played through fable 2 recently, I’d say console gamers think they’re good because they’re fun with quaint charm. They’re by no means “real rpgs”, but neither is Oblivion, and at least the writing is better.

• Meat Circus says:

This thread is so full of insufferable and unnecesary PC snobbery, sometimes it’s easy to wonder why big developers can no longer be bothered with us.

Being a “real” (whatever that means) RPG has nothing to do with it. Fable games are about their dripping charm, fluid experimentation with social mechanics, and sneaking misery, suffering and genocide under the cloak of beautiful pastoral innocence.

• TaroYamada says:

Huh? The JRPG selection on consoles is better? And they seem to have all the major WRPGs. Last I checked at least.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

“Fable games are about their dripping charm,”

Do you mean fart jokes? Because that’s all I remember Fable 1 dripping with, and don’t get me wrong I like a good fart joke, just not 15 fking fart jokes in a row.

• thegooseking says:

@The Sombrero Kid

The reason I even bought an Xbox 360 was so I could play Fable II, which I do like very much. Before that I only had a PC. I still have a PC. I do play RPGs on the PC. It’s not impossible for someone to own both a console and a PC, you know. It’s not like I don’t know what I’m missing, because, uh, I’m not missing it.

And anyone who’s ever read an interview with Peter Molyneux will know that the Fable series not being “real” RPGs is quite deliberate.

So no. You’re wrong.

• Archonsod says:

I thought the first Fable was one of the best RPG’s on the PC in years. Largely because it wasn’t filled with po-faced pointy ear types with a +10 stick of over seriousness rammed up their backsides.

The Sombrero Kid says:

I should qualify that by saying that I’ve not played Fable 2 & that I would probably rephrase real for something less polar, like deep, but i maintain that Fable is a bad game.

but also something deliberately not being a real RPG doesn’t excuse it from claims that it’s not a real RPG & that calling JRPG’s RPGs is as meaningful as calling all games RPGs.

• Wizardry says:

Fable is more of an action adventure game than an RPG.

• Grape Flavor says:

@Rich
      So any RPG with real-time elements is out (the only criteria I can think of disqualifying TES series)? My, picky, aren’t we? I doubt many share such rigid views on what constitutes an RPG.

Or is it “out” simply because you didn’t like it, and there are no specific criteria at work here? Because if Oblivion is “out”, so are most modern RPGs…

12. DeepSleeper says:

People complained when the second game didn’t come out on the PC. Now the third game’s coming out on the PC and people are complaining that it is.

I’d go console exclusive too rather than deal with this.

Harlander says:

money > complaints

• Teddy Leach says:

Haters gonna hate.

• Rich says:

People can complain when they’re being shafted. This one is very late and is the sequel to one that PC users never got to see. If I didn’t have a 360, I wouldn’t even consider getting another Fable game.

• sneetch says:

You do realise that the people complaining that Fable II didn’t come out on PC were unlikely to be the same people complaining that Fable III is coming out on PC? And if they are then they’re still complaining about different things. Shocking I know! Honestly I have a simple request for everyone in the world: just get together and decide on what you want for once and for all! Should be simple and easily done by tea time.
      Your inability or unwillingness to deal with the fact that different people like different things means that you probably should stay out of game developing and publishing.

• Kadayi says:

I’m not complaining about this coming out. But as someone who enjoyed the first Fable on PC, given the fact that the games are set within the same world (but different time periods), I’d of just liked the consistency of being able to play Fable 2 as well, prior to this one (it’s a bit of a mystery as to why it wasn’t ported tbh). It’s like missing out on the second act of a film.

As regards purchasing III. I think a lot depends upon the reviews. From what I’ve heard of the 360 release there were a lot of issues with the game. If those have been addressed then I’ll probably get it, but I’m going to let the reviewers do the donkey work of finding out before committing.

soulblur says:

Mixed on this. I bought the CE version on Xbox, and consider it wasted money, frankly. A huge let-down, in the end. It’s good that it is coming out on PC, in an abstract way, but the added features don’t really add up to much. And Fables’ DLC are almost always terrible.

drewski says:

Really? I thought the quests in See the Future were by far the best in the whole of Fable 2. Far more interesting from a story perspective, and I loved the changes in graphics they used.

Knothole Island was, admittedly, pretty mediocre.

Yachmenev says:

The game is terrible. I have beaten all three Fable games on XBOX, and this is the worst by far. It´s an unfinished mess of ideas that doesn´t work together. Stay away from it!

Don´t compare it with Fable: TLC. This is like a completely different genre. RPG for dummies.

15. Shazbut says:

FOLLOW THE FLASHING LINE, WE DON’T WANT YOU WANDERING OFF NOW

• Rich says:

Actually, as the maps in Fable 2 are utterly useless, the trail is pretty handy. It’s pretty unobtrusive.

• arccos says:

I just turned it off in 3. If I can’t find something, I just turn it back on.

Although a much better game mechanic would be a button or command to have your dog lead you to where you’re going when you ask. Heck, he already points at chests (not those kinds of chests, sicko).

16. 3lbFlax says:

Well, I was excited about the Sesame Street game Major Nelson mentions there, until I read the whole paragraph and realised it must be a Kinect title.

Fable III was mighty, mighty boring, to the point of self-parody. Now only would you have to want to fail in order to fail at any of the social interactions – be your goals positive or negative – you’d have to really, really want to fail. And even then , you wouldn’t really fail at all. So success was basically a function of your spare time and patience, which didn’t work out too well in my case.

17. Creeping Death says:

I wonder if they’ll try to charge pc gamers for black dye as well…

The 7 month wait was idiocy on Microsofts part (of course this wont sell as well as the 360 version, there will be zero marketing around it), but I’ve come to expect stupid delays for console ports. It would be nice however if they released something like “Fable 3 Complete Edition” including all the DLC to make up for the wait at least.

I mean, Ubisoft (who people consider worse than EA these days) do this kind of thing with their Assassin’s Creed titles, more studios should do the same.

18. JohnnyMaverik says:

Might as well not bother coming out, it uses GFWL, it’s bloody late, by all accounts the console version was pretty meh, and what more not only will even the most avid players among us have just managed to get through Dragon Age 2 and Deus Ex HR, it then clashes with the release of The Witcher 2? No… sorry, might as well not bother coming out.

MajorManiac says:

I really like the presentation of this game. I think I would have really liked it when I was 13.

20. TomA says:

Really enjoyed the first two, I’ve not heard much good things said about this from friends who have bought it. According to one of my mates the rare weapons in the game are largely pointless as your weapon levels up with you making most of the things you find redundant by the time you get them, also the way your character morphs depending on your actions (one of my favourite features of the previous games) has been considerably toned down.

21. ChromeBallz says:

Whoever is working at marketing for Fable 3 PC should be fired on the spot. Releasing it on the same day as Witcher 2? Are they really thinking that despite dropping the Fable franchise for the PC earlier they’ll suddenly get high marks for an RPG which has to rely almost entirely on it’s art direction? Not to mention that the entire game has been designed around a console controller.

As Njordsk said, the game will totally flop on the PC. Microsoft will blame piracy, Molyneux will pretend the game never happened and will announce Fable 4 as being the best RPG ever made. Like he said the last 3 times.

Edit: Oh, and GFWL. Again. After picking up Bulletstorm i still wonder why they keep trying to push that POS on PC users. Microsoft doens’t even officially support it since you’ll be routed to Xbox Live support when you try to contact them.

• Commisar says:

urgh, it require GFWL, well at least GFWL doesn’t such tooo bad now

22. thebigJ_A says:

Don’t bother. I played it on my 360toy. It was shit. (And I really, really like Fable 2.)

They did just about everything wrong.

If you do decide to play, and get to the third act, you’ll have a certain amount of time to get something done. Except you really DON’T HAVE THAT MUCH TIME. The game flat-out lies to you. It has very major consequences, too. Fair warning.

23. HDGuy says:

The Witcher 2 for $36 or Fable 3 for $60…Hmm…I wonder which one will win?

• Jeremy says:

Yeah, I think this is the heart of the issue. Charging $59.99 for something people are no longer mad about, but have moved into apathy towards just seems a little arrogant and maybe a bit detached from reality.

I wanted it 7 months ago, and now I have other games that pique my interest far more than Fable 3. They missed their AAA window and will probably make more money when it dips into the 19.99 – 29.99 territory.

oceanclub says:

After trudging through the first part of Fable 2 with ever decreasing enthusiasm, I really have no enthusiasm for playing the sequel. It struck me as less of an RPG and more of a modern version of those “action-adventures” that were popular in my childhood 8-bit time. The problem was there was just no one aspect of the game that really grabbed me. With Oblivion, I loved the freedom and the sheer beauty of the setting and music. With Gothic 3, I’m intrigued by the plot and the desire to explore. I just felt a complete disconnection from Fable 2; no identification with its character or the identikit world.

P.

drewski says:

Oddly, I found the trudging bit of Fable II to be the start. By then end, it had picked up pace quite nicely.

25. ScubaMonster says:

Character in the pic looks like a Witch Hunter from Warhammer

26. MadTinkerer says:

This is tragic. They’re trying so hard, and I am already convinced I’m probably going to pass it up.

Basically, if they fix at least half of the things Angry Joe pointed out (review helpfully already linked in a reply above), I’ll think about it. But otherwise it’s way too rushed, chopped up, buggy, and short for me to consider.

I would really like to want to like Fable 3. But I’m done with big budget games that fail to meet their potential at launch and are never patched into a good state. (post-patch miracles do happen and I’m happy when they do, but I’m not very optimistic about Fable 3′s chances.)

Yachmenev says:

If Fable 3 has any redeeming qualites, it is that it´s so bad that it´s funny. It´s like the Big Rigs of RPG games.

*You haggle with shopkeepers by dancing with them.
    *Every single NPC can be convinced that they are gay by the player tickling them and giving them a random gift.
    *You gain support in one town by taunting children in other towns.
    *You gain support in one town by taunting children in that town.
    *Even if you´re the king, the maid will only be your friend if you run on a fetch quest for them.
    *No matter how much you act like a douche, everyone will consider you to be a true hero.
    *Being a hero is apparently something that is in your genes, instead of being based on your actions.
    *Everyones house are for sale, always.
    *The Road to Rule, the level up system that is supposed to mirror your progress as you learn to be a ruler consists of such great rewards as pie making skills and dyes.
    *At one point werewolves will start to appear in the rich suburbs, without any explanation at all.
    *The guard will only act on seeing physical violence. If you threaten them and/or fart in their face, they will do nothing.
    *The dog will throughout the whole game bark to notify you that he has found a treasure, even though the rewards for them will be more or less useless after 2 hours of gameplay.
    *No adult will ever protest against you wanting to hold their hands.
    *And the list goes on.

• Chris D says:

For interests of balance you should also post the list of things that are bad about it.

• Archonsod says:

Yeah, that sounds like half of what made Fable fun. I mean the best reward in that was finally getting enough money to be able to buy the title of Arseface. Or Piemaster.

Yachmenev says:

Archonsod: How are any of those things I mention stuff that makes for a fun game? It´s examples of just how broken down the game is. You can do anything because no reacts to who you are what you do. For example:
      The only difference between going around as normal person and as a king is that they have turned of the guards attacks and changed a few lines of the things the villages says. Nothing else. Any quest or NPC interaction will treat you just the same.
      And the example of gaining trust by taunting children isn´t a fun thing to either. The only reason that it´s possible is that you are supposed to do a couple of quests to gain the trust of the resistance in Bowerstone City. But since the game really doesn´t check if you have done those mission but instead just checks if you have gained enough experience, it means that you complete the mission to gain trust by just doing anything that gives you experience. And any interaction with any NPC rewards you with experience.
      And for the thing you mention with buying titles, all such things have been removed in Fable III. Anything that would confuse grandma is gone. No titles, no real combat tactics, no real experience system, no difference between NPC´s, no real difference between playing styles, no difference between job minigames, no real consequences of choices, etc.
      What they did with Fable III is that instead of building on Fable II, they ripped out everything, started over, and then didn´t have time to finish it because the game had to be released before the Kinect release.

28. Sigh says:

Prediction:

Halo 3 released for PC in U.S. November 20, 2012.

Halo 3 released for PC in UK August 20, 2013.

3D Support and Keyboard Optimizations included!

29. Jumwa says:

Any full co-op RPG experience gets my attention for my partner and I, but after the long delay, and GFWL attached to the deal, it’d have to come very cheap for me to consider an actual purchase.

30. Commisar says:

HUZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAA, finally get to play Fable 3

31. sonofajoiner says:

I played Fable 3 on the xbox and I found it very inspiring. Yes, I have been inspired to begin work on a time machine forthwith, which I will use to go back in time and prevent John Cleese from ever having been born so that I don’t have to hear him nagging me to spend real money on virtual clothing for a virtual dog EVERY BASTARD TIME I want to change weapons/outfits.

32. bookwormat says:

Can someone who likes the series explain the Fable franchise to me, by comparing it to the big PC RPG franchises (e.g. those from Bethesda or Bioware)? What’s the deal about Fable?

• arccos says:

Its an action RPG (emphasis on the action) where you have some still rather unique mechanics that aren’t really seen in most games of its kind. Things like the dog companion, marriage, friendship, children, reputation, real estate, and “jobs”. You can actually kind of play a role based on your actions, instead of just picking responses from a dialog tree that may or may not matter.

The story is generally decent, and you can affect the world more than most games based on your actions. You can even be a real jerk in the game and it responds mostly correctly.

Combat is pretty simple compared to most PC rpgs, but its still fun to play around with for the most part.
      Its closer to Oblivion than Dragon Age, but its not that close to Oblivion. Clear as mud? :-)

• PickyBugger says:

I really have no idea.

I have never met a game that tried to stop me playing in the first 20 – 30 minutes as much as Fable 2. With the unskippable dialogue and the ramblings of that woman off My Family and the tedious intro quests about scaring children and finding bottles. All this with your sister tagging along being stunningly annoying and who selfishly takes far too long to die.

I thought it’d persevere through to see what the game was all about but it just turns into a rampage to see how quickly you can become super good or super bad.

• Wizardry says:

Fable is a mixture of action adventure and god game. It doesn’t have proper RPG combat. It’s more like an action game with character statistics determining the difficulty of the fights. Decisions on what the player can do outside of combat are mainly player driven rather than character driven, and the moral choices are cartoon-like good and evil. Most side-content is filler and generally included for LARPing purposes rather than to add more depth to the player’s character through meaningful choices and chance for statistical growth.

In contrast to this, a “big PC RPG franchise” called Might & Magic contains turn-based combat in the first half of the series and both turn-based and real-time combat in the second half of the series. You control a party of characters yet move around the world in first person as a single entity. The probability of hitting targets in combat and the damage dealt to them are based on the statistics of your characters, the statistics of your targets, your weapons, their armour, and dice rolls. Moral decisions are almost non-existent in the series, though a few of the final games contain some largely insignificant choices to make. Exploration is open-ended and is the main source for finding side-content, which there is an awful lot of. Side-content is generally there to allow your characters to statistically gain in order for further exploration to more side-content.

These differences are pretty much the same for most major RPG franchises. I think you’ll gain more useful information by asking an action adventure fan to compare Fable to that genre.

• bookwormat says:

@arccos @Wizardry thanks, that was very helpful.

• CrazyBaldhead says:

It’s a kiddie rpg.

33. MattM says:

Headache inducing, eye straining, 60hz flicker 3D? There was a reason 60hz CRTs sucked and the new 3d vision has the same problem.

• 7rigger says:

If it’s 3d support for pc, then it will be Nvidia 3d vision, 120hz with 60hz per eye. Televisions use the inferior HDMI 1.4 format that splits a 60hz signal into 30hz (like gt5 on ps3)

If you’re complaining that 60hz per eye is “Headache inducing, eye straining” then I’d recommend looking at a 3DTV. It will make you feel much better.

Or maybe you’re just hating on 3d in general? I’m not sure :/

34. wazups2x says:

The Witcher 2 FTW!

35. pipman3000 says:

is it okay if i play the 360 version as long as i play it ironically?