New C&C Official, Details Later This Year

By John Walker on February 25th, 2011 at 10:01 am.

That'll be an ironic name in about four years.

Monday this week we had a surprise. A new Command & Conquer game! This was surprising on two counts. Firstly, EA had rather publicly given up on the series last year. Secondly, there was no build up, no tiresome PR campaign. Just POW! News! So of course it was an accident. The site so keenly spotted by VE3D was hastily pulled, the story buried. But fortunately by the magic of caching Alec was able to fetch the important details. Our hearts were set to Believe*. And now EA, perhaps sooner than they’d hoped, have made the news official.

A brand new C&C site is up at the proper location, and it’s emblazoned with the logos of the surprise new development studio, Victory Games. They describe themselves as:

“Victory Games is Electronic Arts’ dedicated Strategy Gaming studio. Formed in 2010 under the leadership of Jon Van Caneghem, Victory Games has offices in Los Angeles, CA; Austin, TX; and Shanghai, China and is currently focused on the Command & Conquer franchise.”

Jon Van Caneghem is an important name to have on your team. Founder of New World Computing, responsible for Might & Magic and the original King’s Bounty, he’s also been in charge of the C&C license for a couple of years. During which, of course, there’s been C&C4. But at the time of his joining it was suggested that he’d be heading up the transition of C&C to the online age, seeming to be aiming for something more than just C&C4′s peculiar multiplayer integration. An interview on Industry Gamers in 2009 seemed to imply heavily that there were hopes for what they were still calling “freemium” versions of the game back in those days.

The new site features a new interview with Caneghem, in which there’s more ambiguity:

“We’re not just working on a game, though. Our general focus is on the future of Command & Conquer. That means updating a lot of the core technology to create a stable base for future development, and leveraging that work on this first game.”

Beyond that it’s mostly marketing puff, with the news at the end that the new game will be announced later this year.

Will this be a C&C5, a Red Alert 4, a Generals 2? A new spin-off? The inevitable free-to-play strategy online game that it obviously is? Speculate!

*Mine in the most empathic of ways, since I’ve never played a C&C game in my life.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Bilbo says:

How have you never played a C&C game?

2. Axez D. Nyde says:

You must be totally excited for a game coming out that you’re not gonna play. Right? RIGHT?

3. Tetragrammaton says:

You haven’t played C&C? Not even Red Alert? But how can you possibly be a games journalist? /faints

• AndrewC says:

They let him hang around the office because he cried if they tried to move him. They found he could be kept happy by being put in front of daytime soaps and giving him a remote with no batteries in so he could ‘interact’ with his stories. He makes a nice enough cup of tea and he purrs if you stroke him.

• 12kill4 says:

he also says ‘Hello’ for the electonic wireless shows.

4. itsallcrap says:

A Generals 2 is a nice idea.

The inevitable free-to-play strategy online game that it obviously is

What makes you think that? That would actually be quite good. My guess would be that it’s just going to be C&C ‘again’ – sligtly better graphics, a couple of new units but not really worth forking out for if you own any other C&C made in the last ten years.

I hate to be a cynic, but…. no wait, I don’t. Being a cynic is cool.

5. Stense says:

I haven’t really been keeping up with the C&C games of late, not since Red Alert 2 really. I picked up RA3 in the most recent Steam-incredo-sale, but just not been getting into it and finding it a bit of a chore (which is disappointing considering how much I loved RA2). Thats not to say that the idea of futuire C&C games is unappealing. It’s a series that always has the potential for putting out an awesome and fun game.

• anduin1 says:

ever since Westwood stopped being the devs is when the series took a nosedive into mediocrity. Red Alert 2 was probably the last “good” C&C I’ve played.

6. vodka and cookies says:

That’s pretty amazing that you never played C&C, I think Generals 2 might be due particularly with the demand for military styled games these days thanks to CoD.

7. Stense says:

Rather a completely unrelated coincidence I’m sure, C&C games are on sale this weekend on Steam.

8. Tyrmot says:

Did anyone play the last one? Saw it in the steam sale and thought surely it has to be worth a go for the only the price of a pint?

• Bilbo says:

I had the same idea, and picked it up yesterday. Had the briefest of brief plays, didn’t really get on with it. It’s a pretty radical redesign, and while I’m not one to kick a studio for trying something different, it doesn’t really have that C&C feel. Also, the production generally feels a little cheap.

9. cpy says:

Please no more Red Alert communist or Gdi/Nod series crap. I mean sure i loved original CC and Kanes CC was uber cool, but those didn’t even match upto Supermegauberomfg CC Generals!
    Generals 2 PLEEEAAASEE :)

• konrad_ha says:

C&C Generals 2, pleeeeeaaaaase!!!!

Dear God, please make it Generals, it’s about damn time!

• jeremypeel says:

Generals was fantastic. Almost too fast-paced for me to cope with, but that’s my fault, not the game’s.

Also seems a good fit in today’s Relic-driven RTS landscape of squad mechanics, whilst offering plenty of trad-C&C thrills.

• Ludden says:

Generals 2 would be great, especially if they evolve it in some meaningful way instead of just rehashing the same game with different units and better graphics (which would be good too I suppose, but not great). Taking a leaf out of Relic’s work could be a good idea indeed.

• realityflaw says:

Dear god why would you suggest they make a CoH clone again? The last one wasn’t bad enough?

• Bedeage says:

Ahaha. What?! I liked Generals as much as the next man, but the CnC series peaked with Tiberian Sun.

10. The Pink Ninja says:

I hope it has Joe Kucan

In drag

11. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I still actually rather that they had not fucked up C&C 4, or RA3… These two games quite basically murdered my love for the C&C universe.

C&C Tiberium Wars!
    C&C RA2 – Yuri’s revenge,
    C&C Generals

They will never be able to match these titles, after seeing what they did with #4 and RA3..
    And I like(d) Joe Kucan..

12. cpy says:

Also CC Generals came out when there was war in Iraq i think, so it really hit the spot :)
    And i really like plausible wars with current events and no sci-fi mumbo jumbo.

13. itsallcrap says:

Well, it seems we’re all in agreement – we want Generals 2, featuring Joe Kucan in drag. Maybe if we all hassle them about it, they might pay attention:

14. Uglycat says:

I want CNC Renegade II

15. Sarlix says:

Tiberium Sun 2 please. We need more strategy games with automatic gates.

16. Xercies says:

How did people like Generals?!

• Sarlix says:

I ask myself this very question.

• Berzee says:

Same. Well, it was decent — the gameplay was fun, but the atmosphere wasn’t — at least not after RA2 :)

• destroy.all.monsters says:

Generals wasn’t tied to the lore, the sides were fun and different and it was set more or less in the present. I think it appeals to a somewhat different demographic than does RA and Tiberium universes do.
      While I’d grant that the Act of War games did it better they also came out later. The mods for Generals/ZH are superb, and there are a kajillion maps to play on.

Basically it’s fun and you don’t have to think too hard about it. I think that if they kept the hero units EA can basically screw around with the rest of it to their hearts’ content and no one will really mind.

• Dreamhacker says:

Simple: Generals had new fresh ideas and executed them well.

I mean, take the main RA-series bad guys: The Soviet Union. You know, the guys who dissolved back in 1991? As in, 20 years ago? Where’s the innovation in that?

• Dominic White says:

Red Alert took the Soviet Union and turned them into a crazy super-science-powered tesla army led by Tim Curry

Generals took modern warfare cliches (Arab suicide bombers? How topical! Oh, no, wait, I just rolled my eyes so hard I can see my own brain) and ran with them.

• Sarlix says:

I agree Generals was a good game, and technically I can’t fault it. But I just didn’t enjoy it at all. Maybe it’s to do with what Berzee said about playing it after RA2, I dunno. I brought the base game and expansion but ended up giving it away. Shame.

• Werthead says:

BECAUSE IT LET YOU BUILD 37 ION CANNONS FOR ABSOLUTELY NO LOGICAL REASON.

This alone makes it A Great Thing.

17. Mr_Hands says:

Like a few others on here, I picked up C&C 4 when it went on sale yesterday for about 5 bucks. Just played through the first two missions and found myself enjoying them a rather surprising amount. I was out of the RTS game for a spell (basically between Tiberian Sun and RA3.) So I never played Generals or C&C 3, so maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me so much. Maybe it’s because I went in with exceedingly low expectations. Who knows?

All I know is that I’d be okay with another C&C game. I cut my teeth on the original C&C and Red Alert games. Lost days to them, really. Like any addict, I’m just trying to find a game that makes me feel that way again.

• Sarlix says:

Try C&C 3 then, because thats about the closest there is. Unless you never played the Yuri’s revenge expansion for RA2 – in which case, GO PLAY NAO!

18. bascule42 says:

I’d like to see a C&C crossed with Soulstorm. Different planet though. Another tiberium infested world. Human colonists. Falling out. Fighting. Kane out of Deep Freeze, (or just a black top hat would do). No bloody aliens. Sick of aliens. An AI led machine army might work. Construcion Building. Power Gennys, Barracks, War Fac, etc…mos def.

EDIT: HARVESTING!!!!!!!!!!

19. Hatsworth says:

I want a competitive game to give SC2 at least the illusion of a rival, don’t think EA would be up to the task though.
    I’d also be interested in (perhaps browser based)”freemium” RA2 with some updates.

20. Navagon says:

It will almost certainly have to be something totally new now. Definitely a new universe. But there will still probably be a focus on base building and large* forces given the reaction to C&C 4.

* By C&C standards.

21. pagad says:

I don’t get why people loathe RA3 so much. I thought it was a very worthy addition to the RA series.

• Werthead says:

It had George Takei and transforming robomechs, which was great. OTOH, it was tactically less interesting than RA2 and the cut-scenes nowhere near as awful. RED ALERT without painfully bad acting just isn’t RED ALERT, I’m afraid.

22. Samuel Bass says:

Yep, this is us. Didn’t want to comment until it had become official.
    Victory is EA’s dedicated strategy game studio, and we’re currently focused on making a high-end Command & Conquer game for the PC. Can’t say more than that, or the EA snipers will take me out, but I am loving reading the various assumptions about what we’re doing…

Should be noted that JVC bears no responsibility for CNC4…that game was already near done when he came on-board.

23. wazups2x says:

“The inevitable free-to-play strategy online game that it obviously is”

I sure hope not!