Apocalypso! Fate Of The World Out Today

By Quintin Smith on February 28th, 2011 at 5:45 pm.

I am sorry China I had the panda down as an acceptable loss

Oh, snap! Excellent climate change indie strategy game Fate of the World unlocks on Steam tonight. If you number among the eager beavers who pre-ordered it to gain access to the beta, you’ll finally be able to enjoy the full game (including the allegedly-quite-hard Dr. Doom scenarios) circa 1am, according to the developers. If, however, you are a cautious ostrich haven’t yet taken the plunge, you can buy from either of the two above links. Official RPS impressions of some kind will, I’m sure, be arriving on the site soon, but until then here’s the link to my feelings on the beta. The one and only FotW trailer that’s been kicking around for months follows.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GraveyardJimmy says:

The developers say it will be on steam 6hrs after they start uploading it (at 7PM GMT) so 1am GMT. From the site it will be available 2 hours later. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774455)

2. Nimic says:

I indeed bought the beta around the time RPS posted about it, but I didn’t actually play it any significant amount of time. I tried it once, and it seemed to hold promise, but the beta wasn’t enough to keep me interested.

I’ll probably check it out again today, though, or if not today then certainly the next few days. I do like these sorts of games, so it should appeal to me.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

Apparently it has changed a fair amount from the beta. I’m hoping the tutorial modes (where you are in charge of one region) will be helpful as I felt fairly lost in the beta. It will be interesting to see how it has changed, my only annoyance is that they didn’t make regular pre-orders into steam pre-orders.

Since the steam pre-orders get special bonuses, it feels as though I have been penalised for getting it before this option was available- I miss out on the special mission and cards. Had I known it would go this way I would have waited for the steam pre-order :(

• Out Reach says:

They sent out an e-mail to the people who pre-ordered off the official site (NOT STEAM) to rectify the fact that people who bought it there were paying more for less game (compared to the steam version). If you got it off the official site before a cut off point they introduced a few days after the e-mail (after the cut of point they lowered the cost of the game at the official site), you’ll get the first DLC for the game free.

• Commisar says:

yeah, I got it for $9.99 off their site, how am I supposed to get the full game?

• GraveyardJimmy says:

Oh wow, didn’t notice that. Cool. For interested parties:

We are new to digital publishing and have needed to do some course
      correction as we go along. That has meant that, without our intending
      it, the version of the game available now on Steam has ended up with a
      bit more content than the version from our site. To fix that, you will
      be receiving free access to our first expansion pack, which will be
      available soon after launch in February. Upon launch of the expansion,
      you will be sent a key and free download as a thank you for your early
      support.

• iLag says:

Still not quite satisfied here with the way the devs handled that. They should have just turned every normal pre-order in a Steam pre-order and all would have been fine. Furthermore, generating a lot of media buzz, then offering a cheaper(!) pre-order and then putting the game on Steam for a regular price that is even cheaper than that supposedly “cheaper” pre-order… what the hell?
      Plus, I pre-ordered and additionally subscribed to their newsletter. I haven’t received any news at all except for that mail mentioned above. A bit more game development transparency next time you take my money, okay? That’s what indie development is for (I always thought) and that’s what my favorite indie devs are doing.
      (mumble grumble) Anyway, looking quite forward to finally playing this.

• mlaskus says:

I’ve completely lost interest in the game because of it. I didn’t know that a Steam pre order would be available when I purchased it, I didn’t receive any updates or news. Free DLC? I don’t care anymore.

• Vinraith says:

I’m confused, what does the Steam version have that the direct version does not? For that matter, what’s the DRM on the direct version (if any)?

3. Mr_Hands says:

I CAN’T WAIT TO BE AN INCONVENIENT RULER.

4. BobsLawnService says:

Is that a Cubare reference there in the title?

5. cocoleche says:

Looks awesome, but this being on Steam means “wait for the holiday sale”. :/

6. JeCa says:

Anyone else than me feel that music is a bit out of place when the game’s about the Fate Of The World?

In all seriousness though, I really hope this gets some wider attention and does well (also that it’s actually any good rather than just holding an interesting premise). The severity of a possible impending climate crisis and game’s possibilities beyond simple children’s toys are two things that desperately need more public exposure/attention, and if we’re lucky this game could help out with both.

• Hentzau says:

It fits with the art style of the rest of the game – that is to say, it really grated at first since it seemed a little too beepy-boopy happy cartoony for my tastes, not to mention seeming more than a little incongruous when I enacted the sterilisation measures on India and China, but it slowly grew on me.

• irongamer says:

I thought it fit. For some reason it is the type of music I would expect at the geocapse view of a resource / card based game. *shrug*

Devilturnip says:

I hope I can register my copy on Steam. That would be tops.

• Rowsdower says:

Sadly it has been confirmed that you cannot. I would give you the link but I lost it.

8. iviv says:

I was tempted by this game… except for the fact its listed on their site as being $9.99 / £9.99 / €9.99. I don’t really approve of such lazy pricing :(

Cespius says:

I’m not entirely sure if it works, but the shop screen seems to let you choose which currency you want to use.

• Xanadu says:

I was thinking exactly the same, but it’s an Indie, not a big publisher, and it’s a tenner, not 40 quid for call of Starcraft 12. This is shocking as it’s blatant seeing all 3 prices next to each other, but saving a couple of quid from a small game developer probably isn’t the best way to protest about the evils of differential regional pricing.

• Loix says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. This totally put me off even bothering to look up more information about it.

Ridiculous.

• Rhodri2311 says:

Same, I generally look up international prices and avoid games if they arn’t adjusted at all. It’s just galling having to pay more for the same thing, especially through a digital distribution network.

9. McDan says:

*steeples fingers menacingly* Excellent…

10. Commisar says:

Quick question, If you pre-purchased off of their site, when do you get the full game?

• zacharai says:

(Edit – I have terrible reading comprehension)
      9pm GMT tonight.

According to the Steam forum thread GraveyardJimmy references, you should be able to click the link in the email you got for the preorder, and it’ll download the full game.

11. Risingson says:

Tell me, please tell me that the title is a reference to Monochrome Set. TUNE, btw.

12. cytokindness says:

I <3 the Presets.

13. Nimic says:

I can’t actually find a way to download this game. I bought it when it was posted about on RPS a while back, when it was still in Beta.

I can’t find anything on the site, there’s no “update” option in-game, and I can’t see that I’ve received any emails from them.

• zacharai says:

The order is through BMT Micro, if you bought it from the site. So search for emails from “orders@bmtmicro.com”, and you’ll find the original email with the links.

• Nimic says:

I tried that, but it would only allow me to download the same old Beta version (0.4.0 or something).

14. Beardface says:

I already had the Beta installed and since the game already updated, I’m able to play the full version now – despite Steam saying it’s still over an hour till it’s unlocked.

15. Nikolaj says:

Has anyone figured out how to play this? It think that the Africa mission is supposed to be a tutorial, but if so, it has to be one of worse tutorials I’ve seen: “hire two agents in each region! Play some cards! Good luck!”

• Moth Bones says:

I just muddled around with the Africa mission and was quite surprised to find I’d ‘won’, though it sounded like the world was going to hell in a handcart. I just spammed education, welfare and employment cards, and ‘committed to nuclear’, which didn’t seem to have any noticeable effect in that time frame.
      The gameplay does seem to entirely consist of using agents and cards; my first impression is that it could stand some variation.

Oh, I bought it off Steam at about 9.15 and it downloaded and installed straight away.

• JFS says:

It’s not very good for a tutorial, that’s right. I think this game relies more on self-teaching. This Africa mission… it isn’t really complicated, and it’s pretty short, right? I’m already the saviour of Africa in only 50 years time. If only it’d be so easy in the real world :)

16. Doth Messar says:

Care-line, Care-lines thumbed it up
    What are your stories all about?
    Carries a weight on her swing
    On her swing

17. pakoito says:

Does it work on netbooks?

Flimgoblin says:

Tried earlier and got the beta still, but just got an email and sure enough the bmt link is now giving me v1.01 :)

19. iLag says:

this is getting better and better. none of the links work for the direct download from the devs. worst launch ever? (for me, that is.) has anyone else problems with this or is it just me?

• Janek says:

Same here. I assume that BMT Micro’s servers have exploded under the strain. I recall them doing the same when Solium Infernum came out.

2011: Year of the slightly botched indie releases?

• Rii says:

Same problem here. Oh well, I assume it’ll clear up in a day or two.

amishmonster says:

Same, I’m guessing they’re just getting bombarded.

• Emperor_Jimmu says:

Yeah I was going to play it tonight, however its bed time for me now. Hopefully their servers will be extinguished by tomorrow morning. If so I’m not likely to make it to lectures.

amishmonster says:

Just got it going. Slow download, but I’m sure they’re doing what they can.

Hodge says:

Hang on, I pre-ordered the Steam version and it let me play it last week. I’d assumed it was already out.

• Beardface says:

That was the beta, with only one mission, many missing features and generally less of a game. It changed a lot.

Hodge says:

Ah, so it should be automagically updated to the full version now? Thanks for the heads up, I’ll go check it out.

21. omicron1 says:

Alien invasion, space nazis, climate change… generally, I’m a fan of “science” fiction, but not when it’s being all preachy and stuff. I think I’ll pass.

• Beardface says:

Choose to remain blissfully ignorant if you want, but Fate of the World is a great game on its own merits.

• Jake says:

This game has space Nazis in it? I am suddenly considerably more interested.

• Fumarole says:

If that’s your bag, Soulstorm has Catholic Space Nazis.

• Hematite says:

I can only comment based on the beta, but it’s not noticably preachy. You can totally make Africa descend (further) into a disease ridden warzone and all you’ll hear about it are the mortality figures and riot reports during the turn summary.

Oh, and the lesser ring tailed lemur has gone extinct :(

You’ll still win if the rest of the world comes through ok, so it’s more of a sim than a political statement in that respect.

• Ayn Rand says:

After playing the game for about four hours, I can pretty safely say that the game isn’t preachy. Want to keep the temperature from raising 3 degrees by carefully investing in technology and implementing eco-friendly policies? Go ahead. Want to cause a global famine by turning all the world’s food into fuel? Go ahead. If that doesn’t suit you, you can fund black ops programs to sterilize China and India. Oh, and the Steam bonus is a scenario where you try to destroy the world without getting booted out from everywhere or executed.

• omicron1 says:

Is playing as a conservative with the viewpoint that global warming is not going to cause any major problems/is not manmade/is vastly exaggerated a viable strategy? ‘Cause if not, I want to play this game about as much as you all probably want to play “Left Behind.”

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Yes, you can play the game with that viewpoint.
      I can also play Super Mario Bros. with the viewpoint that Goombas can’t kill me/don’t really exist/are in much smaller number than predicted.

Edit: To elaborate, both Mario and Fate of the World are simulations. The former simulates a sideways world in which a plumber jumps over obstacles and on enemies, the latter a world in which global warming is a real threat. Whether you believe that this is the case in the real world or not is absolutely up to you, but it has no relevance on actually playing the game and figuring out the parameters of the simulation.

• CMaster says:

Playing a game with rules doesn’t mean you accept that the real world works like that you know.
      I could list some of the of the daft assumptions that would lead to, but I think you can get there yourself (try Minecraft, Civ, God of War, Tetris, Chess)

22. iuzbob says:

I still wonder when the Pre-Order RedRedemption Special Edition with music, supporters wall and research notes will be available for download.
    So far its a botched release. The infos come very late, different releases with the same content …. they really should have done some research on digital distribution and not only on global warmth.

quote from their email: We are new to digital publishing and have needed to do some course
    correction as we go along. That has meant that, without our intending it, the version of the game available now on Steam has ended up with a bit more content than the version from our site. To fix that, you will
    be receiving free access to our first expansion pack, which will be available soon after launch in February. Upon launch of the expansion, you will be sent a key and free download as a thank you for your early
    support.

Sadly there was no link for the extra content sent….

23. Tainted says:

Demo please!

24. Nimic says:

I’ve managed to download this from the original link in the mail I got when I bought the Beta a while back, but when I try to run it it tells me “the installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package”

I wonder if I’ll ever get to play this game.

• Chris D says:

I had this as well. Hopefully it’ll get fixed soon but I am kind of wishing I’d bought it from steam instead.

• MrMud says:

Same here. Took me 3 hours to download the installer that subsequently turned out not to work.

25. Pijama says:

No free play mode? awww :(

26. robotco says:

i don’t get it. i pre-ordered this game and got the beta, but i haven’t received any emails about updating to the full version or anything? i can’t even find the original email from when i bought it. shouldn’t they be emailing those of us who pre-ordered already?