Staff Discount: Magicka Free DLC Released

By Quintin Smith on February 28th, 2011 at 10:29 am.

I go listen to Hot Hot Heat now.

RPS reader Alex “Truthcake” Turpin sends word that Arrowhead Studios has released a free little bit of DLC for wizardly co-op title Magicka entitled “Mea Culpa”, which is nerd for “We’re sorry”. What are they sorry about? The game’s buggy launch, of course, as indicated by the list of new content after the jump. The developers have released a new song, too, entitled The Gamer and Magicka. Imagine if all developers routinely released songs for their games! The world would be a better place. With worse music.

Steam will automatically update your version of Magicka with Mea Culpa, which is technically patch number 11.

DLC includes:
1 Staff – “Bugged Staff” – summons a swarm of bugs.
1 Sword – “A broken sword”
1 Robe – “Patched Robe”
1 Magick – “Crash to Desktop – Magick – zaps any foe (or friend)

I see what they did there. Very nice, Arrowhead.

, , .

1. Gnoupi says:

The Crash to Desktop Magick illustrated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZHH9Kz6CA
    Note that apparently they forgot something and it’s not yet accessible in a legal way, but it will most likely be with next patch.
    Nice to see this kind of patch/DLC, though, in the direct line of their support and humour.

Any chance to see a more concrete Wot I think, now that the game crashes much less, by the way?

Oozo says:

“Any chance to see a more concrete Wot I think”
      …I’ve actually been waiting for this, too. Can hardly think that the last impressions-piece was the final verdict on it? (But then again, it’s hardly news anymore. Maybe we’ll have to wait for The Games of Christmas?)

• Calneon says:

Just read the previous Wot I Think and ignore any references to bugs.

• Tyshalle says:

So does this mean the game is no longer buggy? Or is it just significantly better, but still kind of a headache?

• Dominic White says:

Pretty much every bug of note is squashed. There’s still some minor quirks, but they’re still actively patching the game.

• wu wei says:

I still can’t finish the level that has you fighting on the flying ships. Whenever the ship crashes at the end of the sequence, I get the whole ‘Game Over’ logo & music but am still alive and well and unable to do absolutely anything but restart the game.

Thank god the arena mode is fun because I’m certainly not getting any value out of the single player experience.

2. omgitsgene says:

I bought Magicka on the cautious recommendation of this site. The story of killing your friends in creative, unintentional ways and the lure of the $10 price tag was too good to ignore. I waited for a few days (days! on a patch cycle!) and bought the game and never looked back. It’s solid solo, but an absolute blast coop. There are surely some things that can be improved, but the core of this game is fantastic. I highly recommend it myself, haven’t tried the DLC yet though.

3. Uglycat says:

I hope that the crash to desktop actually crashes the target to the desktop.

4. Quasar says:

Magicka is easily one of the funniest, most joke-laden game I’ve played in sodding ages. I’ve laughed out loud so many times, even just playing single player.

Also, for those that haven’t been watching it, the Yogscast/TotalBiscuit playthrough on YouTube is utterly hilarious.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, it’s better than any review – it really shows how the game works.

Anyone wanting a review? You can read one I wrote here: (Played local co-op to avoid bugs)

And then watch this to see just how it really works:

• AdamK117 says:

+1 to the Yogscast/TotalBiscuit playthroughs

• Lukasz says:

+1 from me too. Simply hilarious!!

• Dominic White says:

The third video is the best by far, especially the end. There’s a reason why they don’t trust Simon with anything sharper than a butter-knife.

• Mr_Initials says:

He does what he does best. make it rain.
      I’ve been meaning to get this game but the bugs scared me off and now that its fixed, i dont really want to spend 10 when it should get a discount for like 50% soon.

5. xeon06 says:

Haha, love the nickname.

Big Murray says:

To be honest, until they make it so player’s can join games while they’re in progress, the game doesn’t work so much for me.

7. PaulMorel says:

Personally, I thought this game was a total waste of money. It’s not just buggy in the technical sense, but the game mechanics are buggy. There are sooo many enemies with 100% knockdown attacks, and since the screen doesn’t scroll properly … it just makes the game unplayable.

Maybe everyone else here is better than me … maybe I don’t understand the game … but I tried to like it. I played for like 4 hours, having to restart multiple times because of bugs, and eventually the frustration just made me uninstall.

Anyway, just my .02

• Phydaux says:

A lot of the knock-downs can happen if you’ve self-cast shield. Sometimes it’s better to cast protective auras to reduce the damage you take. And having the muscle-memory in your fingers for the haste and teleport magicka can get you out of many sticky situations.

• Tuan says:

Pretty much every enemy has knockback, that’s the point. You don’t let things get up close or you are in trouble.

I played on release day and didn’t encounter a single bug (granted I didn’t try to play online for a few days). But offline single player was flawless for me…

• Tacroy says:

Oh man really? Is that why I keep on falling down so much? I always walk around with the self-shield, I never noticed that I fall down less without it…

That thing is kind of a crutch.

8. Phydaux says:

Magicka is one of my favourite games of all time, even in spite of its bugs. If you kinda like the look of it and you’re wondering if it’s worth buying, it is!

And if you’re worried about bugs there is a demo, which will highlight any of the bugs that you may encounter in the full game.

• nemryn says:

Well, unless your ‘bug’ involves having an integrated graphics card. Then it’s just straight-up whoops no Magicka for you, not even a demo. >:[

9. mwoody says:

I love the game, but I’m still giving it a while. ‘Played it last night after setting it aside for 2 weeks. We got to the end of a tough boss fight in 2-player co-op and bam, crash to desktop. Pity, that, but I can’t deny it’s fun while it lasts.