Geralt Entity: Ten Minutes Of The Witcher 2

By Quintin Smith on March 1st, 2011 at 9:57 am.

Here at Castle Shotgun we don't call it arm wrestling, we call it ARM WAR. We also use guns.

Guitar! A pine-cone monster! Communism! Short-shorts! Death! It’s all after the jump.

This is via RipTen, by the way. Thx Ripten!

0:30 Well, this is all quite pleasant, isn’t it? Pretty game. Well done, CD Projekt.
2:49 Oh, right, that’s enough of that then. The guitar shatters the silence like a sickly lion dropped through a plate glass ceiling.
3:05 Fighting!
3:42 Fighting!
4:21 …still fighting! This looks quite good, doesn’t it?
4:33 A massive pine-cone monster! Of course!
5:08 Urgh, there are things I don’t need to see at 9:32 in the morning and such a thing is three feet of sword being pulled out of a man’s head.
6:12 It’s over! I think I need a lie down.
6:17 You know, as much as games created for games are usually terrible, I am slightly impressed that it would appear you pick up those dice with the mouse and roll them yourself. Game of the year!
7:40 Hahaha. Geralt doesn’t dick around. “Ow!” *whaBAM*
7:55 Quite the throw. I’m not su– hey, what the crap is that guy in the background wearing?
8:44 Communism!
9:56 It’s over! So many trailers end on cliff hangers these days that I’m not sure what to do with myself when one just ends like that. Maybe I’ll just stare at the darkness for a bit. See if they’ve got anything surprising afterwards.
14:25 You know what? I don’t think anything’s coming.
18:11 Yep.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Furius says:

Too cool to jog eh Geralt?

2. lessthandan says:

Lots of repetitive walking and not much else, but to be fair, this is only pre-alpha footage and was mostly made to show off the pretty graphics.

• kublakhan says:

It’s pre-beta, not pre-alpha. And there’s repetitive fighting besides repetitive walking :)

Joking aside, this kind of video is actually much better at giving you an impression of what the actual game will be like than some over-the-top cinematic trailer.

I kind of like the slow down effect when choosing sign powers; not as immersion-breaking as a pause, yet will probably still allow older people like me to actually enjoy using those powers during hectic combat.

• lessthandan says:

Oops, pre-beta, that’s what I meant. Thanks. :)

• Al3xand3r says:

Yeah, walking, wtf… Who wants to do that? I hope The Witcher 3 is an on-rails slasher/shooter, I don’t want any of that boring exploration and discovery stuff.

3. KillahMate says:

“Geralt Entity”? Really? Really?

Heh.

4. Handsome Dead says:

Nier Geralt

5. mattfaulkner says:

WTF have they done to the battle music, oh noes…

• Quasar says:

I don’t think the music is final, it seemed to be replacing the game’s audio rather than a part of it.

• VikingZombie says:

I remember when I learned how to do pinch harmonics on my guitar too! :D

• Ravenholme says:

@ Quasar

You could hear parts of the Witcher theme rehashed in that guitar track

I kinda liked it myself

Looks awesome, frankly, it looks far better than DA2 is, whilst accomplishing the dark/edgy and visceral combat goals that they touted for DA2 (And will probably have a better plot)

6. Quasar says:

FIGHT YOUNG ZIS
    —————————-
    YOU CANNOT DO THIS HERE.

• frenz0rz says:

Heh, I was gonna mention that. Though at least the bar fighting seems to have improved from the somewhat stiff and awkward manpunching in the original.

• Lilliput King says:

Really? It seems to have evolved into a quick time sequence. That kind of evolution I can do without.

• Al3xand3r says:

Huh? The original game’s primary combat was more of a QTE with its “click when the icon shows” combo mechanics… Thankfully they seem to have moved away from this. I’m hoping it feels like a more tactical and harder Two Worlds 2.

7. frenz0rz says:

I cant bloody wait for this.

8. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

The guy does A LOT of rolling away in combat… It looks incredibly silly, to me. Geralt should be agile and all, but anyone who rolls like that with a sword in hand is going to look really foolish when they get up with their entrails hanging out.

Well, it should be good, anyway.

EDIT: Also – QTE boxing, because it wasn’t easy enough last time!

• Shatners Bassoon says:

I’m with you on the rolling, why can’t he just do a nice bit of leaping and hopping to evade? A few little sidesteps and recoils instead of that odd looking rolling, the fact there was so much of it didn’t bloody help either.

• Flameberge says:

Yeah I agree about the evasive rolling, its relied on far too much. To be honest, Geralt is supposed to be so quick with a sword he shouldn’t really be needing to roll around like a 5 year old on crack against a handful of guards. But we’ll see.

Aside that, game did look very good, but what’ll make it or break it for me will be the quality of the quests, the writing, dialogue and enough interesting locations and characters.

• Popish Frenzy says:

Yeah, i’m hoping either they hadnt finalised all the evade animations or the ol’ rolypoly is bound to specific key and the demo-er was just being overexuberant.

• Lilliput King says:

Yeah the rolling is ridiculous.

Apart from that looks very console-3rd-person-action-game, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

• Gunder says:

Yeah, the rolling looks really dumb.

9. gingerpembers says:

Part of me wants the sex cards back. Im sick of morally important journos trying to put an end to gratuitous mammaries!

Throw some willies in there as well to even it up, I dont care!

You heard it here first folks : “More willies in witcher 2 please”.

• Zanchito says:

I concur! We’re looking at you with disapproval, Mr. no tits. And you know it. Yes, you know it!

• gingerpembers says:

Wahey im not the only one!

When I read that a bunch of noncey games writers took issue with that womans bare knockers in the live demo, and that the devs were going to backtrack, I was fuming!

Boobs for boobs sake are awesome, stop trying to ruin it!

• The Innocent says:

“Yeah! We want sensual out-of-place nearly-molested terrified-woman boobs!”

Mm-hm.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Ha! Reminds me of Dreamfall failing to meet its promises:

• RegisteredUser says:

Personally I would love an easter egg copy of bulletstorm to show up ingame and have it useable so that whenever Geralt uses it, he goes into a raep-trance and gets an extra raep conversation option with any male or female char ingame.

And then of course graphic computersex, topping both mass gayffect as well as hot coffee.

Also boo Alec Meer, hater of all things tits and ass, on this note.

10. MrEvilGuy says:

my pants just fell off!

11. faceface says:

The combat animations make me sad. I know everyone was desperate to rid themselves of the QTE style combat, but it seems like we’ve had to sacrifice the creative animations to achieve that. Responsive combat is all well and good, but Geralt throwing himself around like a well-trained rag doll will be missed.

Perhaps things will improve with some well spent skill points.

12. Bodylotion says:

Even though i have doubts about the combat system I’m pretty sure this game will beat Dragon Age 2 on almost every level.

• Commisar says:

looks like we got some DA2 hate goin’ on here. i will personally buy both because they are 2 different RPGs and have different stories and gameplay styles, both great

13. WJonathan says:

I’ve read his ponytail worked out with Lara Croft in the offseason.

• catmorbid says:

As a man with a manly long hair, I have to say, it always makes me a bit happy inside to see hair physics done in games. I always feel let down when an rpg disallows me from having a manly long hair on my man character! And worst: manly long hair without awesome hair physics! :(

14. Ultra Superior says:

Take that, Dragon Age 2!

In your face Bioware.

• gingerpembers says:

Totally. There’s more production value and lavish care taken over a single screen shot than there appears to be in the entire opening level of that DA2 demo :(

• Ravenholme says:

/concur

• Thule says:

I’d also like to mention scabbards! It’s ridiculous that it’s 2011 and when you look at Dragon Age, you still see your weapon floating a good few inches off your character’s back.

Thankfully, I won’t be annoyed at this when I’m playing The Witcher 2.

• Commisar says:

haters gonna hate….. Have fun not playing a great RPG, just because it isn’t Balder’s gate 3. Also, the graphics look that way because they wanted them to stand out and NOT look like the Witcher: Assassins Creed in a Forest

• TuesdayExpress says:

Commisar: Yeah, we get it. You disapprove of people being down on DA2 because it’s not Balder’s Gate 3. Sure.

Leaving aside that fact that you’re the only commenter who seems to be banging on about BG3, the reason that so many of us are “hating” on and “not having fun” playing the yet-to-be-released “great RPG” that is DA2 is because the demo was so god-awfully off-putting. It was clumsy, both in presentation and execution.

This 10 minute trailer of apparent in-game dicking about, on the other hand, is repetitive, possibly over-long and oddly scored, but it’s not clumsy. It seems to promise that W2 will have a bit of polish to it, while ironing out the original’s wrinkles. So people are happy about that. And they’re telling Bioware to suck it. Why? Because CD Projekt hasn’t yet managed to dash their expectations, a feat that Bioware has manfully pulled off. Capiche?

15. RagingLion says:

You weren’t joking about that pine-cone monster.

The combat does look rather nice and dynamic and player-agency-dependent doesn’t it.

16. YanDaik says:

And when i started to think that this game might be good, this video appears. Meh…

17. bonjovi says:

to quote numerous peopel form YT: Roll Playing game of the year.

Rinox says:

Looks great, definitely considering this was only pre-beta. Can’t wait.

19. Betamax says:

Everytime a Witcher preview appears it just seems like the comments fill up with people slamming DA2 and praising TW2 as the return of RPG Jesus. Are the graphics really that good and all we look for in RPG’s thesedays? It is obviously no more a ‘traditional’ RPG than DA2 is, if anything it looks even more action-rpg like (an you pause TW2’s combat at all, change anything about Geralt?) The plot of the first game wasn’t bad, but it was hardly some sort of mind blowing revelation for fantasy RPGs let alone the fantasy genre itself.

Given Bioware aren’t too shabby with the storytelling themselves I think it’s a little early to write off DA2 in the story department as well, regardless of whether you think the game looks pretty or not. And really, the demo wasn’t that bad was it?

Meh I’m looking forward to TW2, it’s one of the four single player RPGs this year that already have me very excited (and should, conveniently be released throughout the year rather than all at once). I just don’t see why so many see the need to hype it up to, at times, rediculous degrees and not only compare it to other games in the same genre but bash them as being nothing in comparison to it.

/rant. :P

• HeavyStorm says:

I guess you haven’t played Witcher. I’m not the best man to reply this, since I haven’t played DA, but hey, Witcher is anything but like DA. It’s a decent blend of action and RPG, and it is *not* tradition, since traditional, for me at least, is pen & paper RPG, and Witcher has none of it. The skill three is very simple, there aren’t eternal dungeons where you spend hours in a hack – loot – sleep – slash – loot – sleep cycle.

Again, I haven’t played DA, but I guess it’s something like either Baldur’s Gate or Neverwinter.

• Basilicus says:

I’m going to look forward to – and probably love – both The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2. I know, I know, it’s risky, but I think it’s possible. If it doesn’t work out, though, tell my wife I love her and donate my brain to science.

Rinox says:

It wasn’t so much the story itself, but the way it was presented. The Witcher treated me like an adult, Bioware RPG’s – while enjoyable – and most other RPG’s treat me like child when it comes to topics like sexuality and morality.

• Commisar says:

Seconded in full. What is with all the DA2 hate. Hell, I played the first on PS3 and it was great. I played the DA2 demo on PC, and it was great

20. HeavyStorm says:

No way I’m watching that…. I’ll be PLAYING that!

daphne says:

This will doubtlessly be excellent, but one nagging worry remains…

WILL IT HAVE THE SAME CREDITS’ THEME?

22. Ohle says:

Yeah, ladies and gents… unfortunately the audio in here is entirely not the real stuff. We’ve had some issues with the video-capture equipment and basically did our best to get the footage recorded, as we had a lot of press waiting on it from our recent press tour. This is, really, just intended to be used for sites that want to edit their own preview videos out of it. The life of a marketer! :)

• SanguineAngel says:

Thanks!

I like the way they handle public relations to be honest. My witcher 2 emails are ace. The personal touch works

23. aeromorte says:

47:28 … so like when does this end?

24. BeamSplashX says:

Thx Ripten. Thripten.

Scandalon says:

So…it’s mostly the epic tale of one man’s hair swishing to and fro?

Also, they arm-wrestle with their hands placed funny…maybe you can go for the “crush their fingers” as an alternate strategy?

26. pipman3000 says:

everytime you have sex with a woman you will get a card with a picture of geralt’s junk on it.

• anonymousity says:

Only if it’s a cartoon pipboyish version of his junk giving you thumbs up.

27. Longrat says:

That was a pretty shite trailer. Too long, too much rolling and not enough actual fleshing out of combos and whatnot. Too much walking and not enough actual scenery. No in game sound is also a big disappointment.

28. Tuan says:

Hate the 3rd person perspective, you get no real sense of the environment. Made to be first person and it would be a good game.

• Dominic White says:

This is a sentiment I have only EVER seen on RPS comment threads, for any game. What is it with the enormous nerd-boner for first-person views? I grew up with Catacomb 3d, Doom, Deus Ex, etc too, but they were good games because they were good games, not because you played as a disembodied Floating Gun Arm.

29. foda500 says:

Geralt finally learned how to walk.